Home: Non Football Related: General Chat:
"115-6 and the crowd has gone noisily berserk"

Mr. T
Chelsea Transfer Target

Apr 10, 2015, 12:55 AM

Post #1 of 17 (7193 views)
Shortcut
"115-6 and the crowd has gone noisily berserk" Can't Post or Reply Privately

Richie Benaud commentating on the final afternoon of England v. Australia, 4th Test, Edgbaston, 1981

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rjSDvdgTOzg

R.I.P.

DonQuixote
Chelsea Transfer Target

Apr 10, 2015, 1:05 AM

Team(s): Romford, Everton, @BrentwoodSunLge

Post #2 of 17 (7186 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Mr. T] "115-6 and the crowd has gone noisily berserk" [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Will be sorely missed - great man and best cricket commentator ever - by a country mile.

Knowledgeable and was able to conjure up the perfect line for most situations - in an instant usually.

Love the almost quiet serenity with which the falling wickets are described.

Can you imagine Vaughan, Tufnell and Swann reacting similarly today?

FA Vase semi programme wanted: 2001 Taunton v Clitheroe.

splodge
Chelsea Transfer Target

Apr 10, 2015, 2:19 AM

Post #3 of 17 (7180 views)
Shortcut
Re: [DonQuixote] "115-6 and the crowd has gone noisily berserk" [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

He was the best commentator for any sport.

RIP Richie.

www.twitter.com/splodgey
www.facebook.com/paulsplodgeproctor

windydcfc
Man City Transfer Target!

Apr 10, 2015, 8:09 AM

Team(s): Derby County FC England Borussia Mönchengladbach

Post #4 of 17 (7141 views)
Shortcut
Re: [splodge] "115-6 and the crowd has gone noisily berserk" [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Different class.....RIP Richie

kirby knitters
Qatar World Cup bid member!

Apr 10, 2015, 8:54 AM

Team(s): Hinckley United FC.

Post #5 of 17 (7125 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Mr. T] "115-6 and the crowd has gone noisily berserk" [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Seen him a couple of times at Grace Road down the years and was always friendly and ready to chat. An Aussie loved by English cricket fans which says it all ...RIP

Tim

Apr 10, 2015, 9:18 AM

Team(s): Stourbridge, Welton Rovers

Post #6 of 17 (7117 views)
Shortcut
Re: [kirby knitters] "115-6 and the crowd has gone noisily berserk" [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

"If you can add to what's on the screen then do it, otherwise shut up."

If only every other commentator followed Richie's mantra. No one came close.

I lost a lot of interest in cricket when Benaud disappeared from the screen. Best thing ever to come out of Australia.

WestBerksPalace
First Team Star

Apr 10, 2015, 10:23 AM

Team(s): Palace/Epsom and Ewell/Didcot Town and Djurgardens IF.

Post #7 of 17 (7096 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Tim] "115-6 and the crowd has gone noisily berserk" [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I don't really follow cricket these days, but I did in my youth, and Richie was part of my summer holidays, watching hour after hour of test match cricket on the BBC when he was commentating.

His Laconic slow style of delivery, and camera stare are etched in my mind.

He had some great one liners, and has been mentioned, he didn't need to fill the air with chatter.

He always seemed like a gentleman, and I admired him.

A sad loss, RIP Richie.

2019-20 - 12 games, last Kidlington v Daventry T, 17/8, goals 27, avgpg 2.25, new grounds 3. Last - Northampton ON Chenecks, 11/8.
New Grounds in 2019 - 17. 2018 - 44. 2017 -44. Grounds in Total - 1210.
RL Grounds - 33 (Last - Macron Stadium, Challenge Cup SFs (5/8/18), Speedway Tracks 50.

Mr. T
Chelsea Transfer Target

Apr 10, 2015, 10:49 AM

Post #8 of 17 (7081 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Tim] "115-6 and the crowd has gone noisily berserk" [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
"If you can add to what's on the screen then do it, otherwise shut up."

If only every other commentator followed Richie's mantra. No one came close.

Aggers on Radio 4 reading from RB's crib sheet:
"Never ask a statement."
"Remember the value of the pause."
"There are no teams in the world called 'we' or 'they'."
"Avoid clichés."
"The Titanic was a tragedy, the Ethiopian drought a disaster, neither bears any relation to a dropped catch."
"Above all don't take yourself too seriously."

Less is more was his rule. It's not only sports commentators who should take note (you too, Aggers) but just about every radio and television presenter today who uses 100 words where 10 would do.

Richard Rundle

Apr 10, 2015, 11:56 AM

Post #9 of 17 (7062 views)
Shortcut

And in Richie's (& Jim Laker's) heyday, they didn't need a co-commentator alongside to spout even more nonsense. As others have said, less is more.

noprogs
First Team Star

Apr 10, 2015, 1:33 PM

Team(s):

Post #10 of 17 (7015 views)
Shortcut
Re: [kirby knitters] "115-6 and the crowd has gone noisily berserk" [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Seen him a couple of times at Grace Road down the years and was always friendly and ready to chat. An Aussie loved by English cricket fans which says it all ...RIP

absolutely

steveking
Reserve Team Star

Apr 10, 2015, 2:36 PM

Team(s): Ware, Everton, Kingstonian, Leicester, Portsmouth

Post #11 of 17 (6982 views)
Shortcut
Re: [noprogs] "115-6 and the crowd has gone noisily berserk" [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I also loved Benaud but is no-one else old enough to remember John Arlott? Another great cricket (and sometimes football) commentator.

AndrewG
First Team Star

Apr 10, 2015, 9:52 PM

Team(s):

Post #12 of 17 (6898 views)
Shortcut
Re: [WestBerksPalace] "115-6 and the crowd has gone noisily berserk" [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
I don't really follow cricket these days, but I did in my youth, and Richie was part of my summer holidays, watching hour after hour of test match cricket on the BBC when he was commentating.

I am the same, and I probably learned more about the game from listening to Richie Benaud than any other source. Listening to him commentate on a fellow leg spinner was an absolute joy. I see the Australian government has offered his family a state funeral - quite right too if they are comfortable with that. RIP

Rob North
First Team Star

Apr 11, 2015, 11:07 AM

Team(s): Didcot Town, Reading

Post #13 of 17 (6814 views)
Shortcut
Re: [steveking] "115-6 and the crowd has gone noisily berserk" [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
I also loved Benaud but is no-one else old enough to remember John Arlott? Another great cricket (and sometimes football) commentator.

John Arlott was my grandmother's cousin though sadly I never got to meet him. Another much missed cricket commentator.

Richie Benaud was up there with the absolute best sports commentators. Aggers quote from Benaud's cribsheet pretty well summed the man up. If he had one unashamed bias it was towards spinners, and I reckon we can forgive him that.

R.I.P Richie, thanks for the memories.

(This post was edited by Rob North on Apr 11, 2015, 11:10 AM)

HantsLondoner
First Team Star

Apr 11, 2015, 7:07 PM

Team(s): Hants/Middx/Sussex Non-League, Brentford, THFC, Eastleigh, SC Freiburg

Post #14 of 17 (6759 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Rob North] "115-6 and the crowd has gone noisily berserk" [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Echo all the above. Great commentator, his knowledge of the game and ability to move with the times unparalleled.

If you're going to/been to a Hampshire Premier League match, I'd really appreciate you filling in a questionnaire - available in the Groundhopping/General section, or just PM me for a copy. Thanks.

AnotherGlassboy
First Team Sub

Apr 17, 2015, 4:33 PM

Team(s): Stourbridge FC

Post #15 of 17 (5915 views)
Shortcut
Re: [HantsLondoner] "115-6 and the crowd has gone noisily berserk" [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Watched the "underarm" incident the other day on youtube, and Benaud's condemnation of it afterwards was unequivocal and furious. Not afraid to say what he thought in the best interests of "the game", even if it ruffled feathers with someone like Greg Chappell who he must have known very well. How many commentators and/or analysts these days are mealy-mouthed about things like that?

I'm too younf to remember him as a player but what I read about his captaincy impresses me. Always prepared to have a go and try something. Therein lies the difference between our approach and Australia's. They have a go and trust to their abilities and instincts. We are too scared of our own shadows and the possibility of it all going wrong... which usually leads to it all going wrong, of course. In my lifetime, Mike Brearley is still the only England captain who truly "got it", although Michael Vaughan had his moments too..

DonQuixote
Chelsea Transfer Target

Apr 17, 2015, 4:46 PM

Team(s): Romford, Everton, @BrentwoodSunLge

Post #16 of 17 (5908 views)
Shortcut
Re: [AnotherGlassboy] "115-6 and the crowd has gone noisily berserk" [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

There was a rather moving 90-minute tribute to him
on Australia's Channel 9 last evening.

I'm sure somebody out there didn't like him and it's easy
to praise the recent passed but I've never heard anything
but kind words said about the man.

And even the Aussie panel made mention of the rousing
reception he got from the Oval crowd at the end of the final
Test in 2005.

My son still believes he was name after him.

FA Vase semi programme wanted: 2001 Taunton v Clitheroe.

Mr. T
Chelsea Transfer Target

Aug 3, 2015, 9:46 PM

Post #17 of 17 (4996 views)
Shortcut
Re: [DonQuixote] "115-6 and the crowd has gone noisily berserk" [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Radio 4's recent tribute: http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00pdyfq

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3