The Red Lion (Football in the theatre)

bomaya
First Team Star

Mar 29, 2015, 9:49 PM

Team(s): Merstham and Chelsea

Post #1 of 2 (3180 views)
Shortcut
The Red Lion (Football in the theatre) Can't Post or Reply Privately

Was wondering why Daniel Mays and a couple of other actors were at Wingate & Finchley yesterday (see WDYG 28/03/15). Hearing they'd been to Lewes on Wednesday made me wonder if one was a non-league fan but Mays wiki entry only mentioned a love of Orient.

After some googling I realised all three (Peter Wight and Calvin Demba were the other two) are in a new Patrick Marber play called The Red Lion in June at The National Theatre. Marber is of course a director at Lewes so that explains that and clearly all three are watching as many games as they can to get ready for this: http://www.nationaltheatre.org.uk/shows/the-red-lion
"Small-time semi-pro football, the non-league. A world away from the wealth and the television cameras. A young player touched with brilliance arrives from nowhere. An ambitious manager determines to make him his own. And the old soul of the club still has dreams of glory.
A haunting and humorous new play about the dying romance of the great English game and the tender, savage love that powers it."

All sounds good but I have to think - football is always terrible when portrayed on television and film, how on earth will they do on a stage? I'd love to know so maybe I will have to try it. Has anyone seen any football at a theatre before?

Part-Timer
Chelsea Transfer Target

Mar 30, 2015, 12:51 PM

Team(s): Brentford, Bradford City, Peterborough United, Yaxley

Post #2 of 2 (3133 views)
Shortcut
Re: [bomaya] The Red Lion (Football in the theatre) [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I saw An Evening with Gary Lineker many moons ago. All the football took place off stage; a wise move.

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3