Non League Matters - The Continuation of Tonys english Football Site 

Main Index MAIN
INDEX
Search Posts SEARCH
IN

Home: All Other Football Interests: All other football:
Alternative International Football Association, anybody?

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Mr. T
Chelsea Transfer Target

Nov 13, 2014, 4:24 PM

Post #1 of 57 (39145 views)
Shortcut
Alternative International Football Association, anybody? Can't Post or Reply Privately

With today's shambles over the Qatar corruption report, how long before FIFA disintegrates? Could football end up with more than one governing body?

windydcfc
Man City Transfer Target!

Nov 13, 2014, 4:31 PM

Team(s): Derby County FC England Borussia Mönchengladbach

Post #2 of 57 (39136 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Mr. T] Alternative International Football Association, anybody? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I'll post it then! UKIPTongue

jrev61

Nov 13, 2014, 5:29 PM

Team(s): None

Post #3 of 57 (39113 views)
Shortcut
Re: [windydcfc] Alternative International Football Association, anybody? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Possibly a split with UEFA going independent. This could happen over the issue of a winter World Cup, with UEFA running it's own European Championship in the summer.
Corruption in FIFA is also an issue of course. Apparently there could be sanctions against the FA, as organising a function for Jack Warner is much more serious than handing out envelopes full of cash according to FIFA.
In my view Qatar should never even have been allowed to apply to stage the World Cup, it is a tiny country with no footballing heritage. If Luxembourg had applied they would not have been taken seriously. The whole idea of staging the WC is to stage games all around the country, not to build 7 stadia all along the same road, out in the desert. If that part of the world stages the World Cup it should be shared among different countries like Bahrain, Saudi Arabia and the Emirates. Qatar as the organisers should be the only team automatically qualified for the finals. The travelling involved for the competing teams would probably still be less than in Brazil or Russia.

jrev61

cope1

Nov 13, 2014, 9:23 PM

Post #4 of 57 (39059 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jrev61] Alternative International Football Association, anybody? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Possibly a split with UEFA going independent. This could happen over the issue of a winter World Cup, with UEFA running it's own European Championship in the summer.
Corruption in FIFA is also an issue of course. Apparently there could be sanctions against the FA, as organising a function for Jack Warner is much more serious than handing out envelopes full of cash according to FIFA.
In my view Qatar should never even have been allowed to apply to stage the World Cup, it is a tiny country with no footballing heritage. If Luxembourg had applied they would not have been taken seriously. The whole idea of staging the WC is to stage games all around the country, not to build 7 stadia all along the same road, out in the desert. If that part of the world stages the World Cup it should be shared among different countries like Bahrain, Saudi Arabia and the Emirates. Qatar as the organisers should be the only team automatically qualified for the finals. The travelling involved for the competing teams would probably still be less than in Brazil or Russia.

I don't think there's any reason Qatar shouldn't host it in principle although I agree that it will be a bit one dimensional with all the sites in one place. But who ended up hosting isn't really the issue here. It's the fact that FIFA is totally corrupt and this report and the attack on the FA simply shows that they have no problem going after those who point the finger. In many ways I find the FA utterly incompetent and frustrating, and I don't doubt they have bribed as many voters as the next bidder, but I actually have a lot of time for them for standing up to FIFA.

sandhurstbee

Dec 9, 2014, 1:13 PM

Team(s): Brentford, Sandhurst Town and Most local Non League sides.

Post #5 of 57 (38338 views)
Shortcut
Re: [cope1] Alternative International Football Association, anybody? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

The thing about Qatar I do not understand is why they did not put their proposals to move the competition to winter in their World Cup bid? Surely the Countries would have voted it straight out at the time.

Last New Ground 2016/17 (15) 29/4/2017 HIGHMOOR/IBIS RESERVES 1 Mortimer 1 - Thames Valley premier league, Premier Division

Part-Timer
Chelsea Transfer Target

Dec 9, 2014, 1:22 PM

Team(s): Brentford, Bradford City, Peterborough United, Yaxley

Post #6 of 57 (38332 views)
Shortcut
Re: [sandhurstbee] Alternative International Football Association, anybody? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I think you have answered your own question there!

cope1

Dec 13, 2014, 6:47 PM

Post #7 of 57 (38177 views)
Shortcut
Re: [sandhurstbee] Alternative International Football Association, anybody? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
The thing about Qatar I do not understand is why they did not put their proposals to move the competition to winter in their World Cup bid? Surely the Countries would ave voted it straight out at the time.

Having said that, I have to agree with Part-Timer. It would have been a straight 'no'. I don't think it should have to be in the summer and I don't think any country should be oblibed to state when they will host it. I think if it has to be to be played in the European winter time then so be it. I really don't think the 'World Cup' should be denied to those countries considered to be in the 'wrong' part of the world.

(This post was edited by cope1 on Dec 13, 2014, 6:50 PM)

PaulC

Dec 14, 2014, 8:51 AM

Team(s): AFC Darwen, Troon, Ayr Utd, Burnley

Post #8 of 57 (37953 views)
Shortcut
Re: [cope1] Alternative International Football Association, anybody? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
I think if it has to be to be played in the European winter time then so be it. I really don't think the 'World Cup' should be denied to those countries considered to be in the 'wrong' part of the world.

I'd love to see the World Cup played in a Scottish winter.

Part-Timer
Chelsea Transfer Target

Dec 15, 2014, 10:37 AM

Team(s): Brentford, Bradford City, Peterborough United, Yaxley

Post #9 of 57 (37839 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To

In Reply To
The thing about Qatar I do not understand is why they did not put their proposals to move the competition to winter in their World Cup bid? Surely the Countries would ave voted it straight out at the time.

Having said that, I have to agree with Part-Timer. It would have been a straight 'no'. I don't think it should have to be in the summer and I don't think any country should be oblibed to state when they will host it. I think if it has to be to be played in the European winter time then so be it. I really don't think the 'World Cup' should be denied to those countries considered to be in the 'wrong' part of the world.

I partially agree. Countries shouldn't be prevented from hosting the World Cup just because their climate isn't suitable during the Northern Hemisphere summer. However they should be required to state when they are planning to stage it. That is a critical piece of information for the technical evaluation of a bid (or at least it should be) and a matter that will greatly influence the voters.

cope1

Jan 7, 2015, 9:22 PM

Post #10 of 57 (37499 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Part-Timer] Alternative International Football Association, anybody? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
I partially agree. Countries shouldn't be prevented from hosting the World Cup just because their climate isn't suitable during the Northern Hemisphere summer. However they should be required to state when they are planning to stage it. That is a critical piece of information for the technical evaluation of a bid (or at least it should be) and a matter that will greatly influence the voters.

But will it influence them for the right reasons? That's why I don't think it should have to be included. If most voters want to avoid the European winter then it's unlikely ever to happen in a country intending to host it then. I appreciate that a certain level of details i required to make a decision on which bid to accept but I think enough detail is possible - e.g. to do with infrastructure, transport, stadia etc - without needing to know precisely WHEN it will happen.

Personally I would like to see more Euro 2020 ideas which allow games to be played in smaller countries which will otherwise never have a hope of hosting WC finals matches. I don't think such countries would have to receive automatic qualification, although perhaps they could be 'seeded' in their respective qualification in order to help them out a bit.

UKPunk

Jan 7, 2015, 9:28 PM

Post #11 of 57 (37494 views)
Shortcut
Re: [PaulC] Alternative International Football Association, anybody? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

In Reply To
I think if it has to be to be played in the European winter time then so be it. I really don't think the 'World Cup' should be denied to those countries considered to be in the 'wrong' part of the world.

I'd love to see the World Cup played in a Scottish winter.

Why stop there Paul? Get it played in a Finnish winter!! Tongue

1-0-1-0-4-25-40-65-181-289=606

Last game: Mon 20/8/18
4. Basford United 1 Hednesford Town 2

sandhurstbee

Jan 9, 2015, 12:51 PM

Team(s): Brentford, Sandhurst Town and Most local Non League sides.

Post #12 of 57 (36497 views)
Shortcut
Re: [UKPunk] Alternative International Football Association, anybody? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

At least Finland would qualify!

Last New Ground 2016/17 (15) 29/4/2017 HIGHMOOR/IBIS RESERVES 1 Mortimer 1 - Thames Valley premier league, Premier Division

noprogs
First Team Star

Jan 12, 2015, 8:27 PM

Team(s):

Post #13 of 57 (33801 views)
Shortcut

If ( & probably therefore when) the World Cup in 2022 is moved to a Northern Hemisphere winter, then logically I think the next proposal to come from FIFA is to move the entire international football calendar to (say) February to November.

windydcfc

Jan 12, 2015, 9:50 PM

Post #14 of 57 (33786 views)
Shortcut
Re: [noprogs] Alternative International Football Association, anybody? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

You could also have a twist on Greg Dyke's suggestion and have top countries 'B' teams included in the competitionTongue

derekn
First Team Star

Feb 2, 2015, 10:16 AM

Team(s): Taunton Town

Post #15 of 57 (28106 views)
Shortcut
Re: [windydcfc] Alternative International Football Association, anybody? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

According to the BBC, the FA are supporting Prince Ali of Jordan in the FIFA presidential election. How on earth did they come to that decision?

kirby knitters
Qatar World Cup bid member!

Feb 2, 2015, 10:40 AM

Team(s): Hinckley United FC.

Post #16 of 57 (28098 views)
Shortcut
Re: [derekn] Alternative International Football Association, anybody? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
According to the BBC, the FA are supporting Prince Ali of Jordan in the FIFA presidential election. How on earth did they come to that decision?

Well he has promised a more open and transparent regime which is good for starters but yes it does seem strange when there are europeans who have thrown their hats in the ring

windydcfc

Feb 2, 2015, 10:52 AM

Post #17 of 57 (28096 views)
Shortcut
Re: [kirby knitters] Alternative International Football Association, anybody? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

In Reply To

Well he has promised a more open and transparent regime which is good for starters but yes it does seem strange when there are europeans who have thrown their hats in the ring

All the european candidates are picking up their hats and walking away. Prince Ali has got f#ck all chance of winning and everyone knows that.

kirby knitters

Feb 2, 2015, 11:01 AM

Team(s): Hinckley United FC.

Post #18 of 57 (28092 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To

In Reply To

In Reply To

All the european candidates are picking up their hats and walking away. Prince Ali has got f#ck all chance of winning and everyone knows that.

Well maybe that is why the FA are backing him as they have history when it comes to backing losers...

AndyE
First Team Star

Feb 8, 2015, 2:48 PM

Team(s): Chatham Town

Post #19 of 57 (15298 views)
Shortcut
Re: [kirby knitters] Alternative International Football Association, anybody? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Realistically, Sepp Blatter cannot fail to win the election and so it doesn't matter who the FA supports.

But given his age, the new term will surely be his final term - although we do have to note that he said that last time and then changed his mind. Then what? Will Michel Platini then seek the job, or is he more interested in finding a way to get selected non-European nations into UEFA, and screw the rest of the world?

If he really does want to do that, you'd have to imagine that Brazil and the USA would be his first targets. I dare say Australia would be keen to get involved too, and if Brazil signed up then Argentina might consider that it had no option. Do any of the major footballing nations of Europe have a declared position on this notion?

Mr. T
Chelsea Transfer Target

May 27, 2015, 8:04 PM

Post #20 of 57 (5503 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Mr. T] Alternative International Football Association, anybody? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Getting closer...

noprogs
First Team Star

May 28, 2015, 8:54 AM

Team(s):

Post #21 of 57 (5434 views)
Shortcut

I think senior European clubs would love to break away to the exclusion of international football.
Bayern Munich for example. And one of their main men, Uli Hoeness.....in jail for tax evasion.

derekn
First Team Star

May 28, 2015, 10:50 AM

Team(s): Taunton Town

Post #22 of 57 (5403 views)
Shortcut
Re: [AndyE] Alternative International Football Association, anybody? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

And now the wonderfully in-touch Greg Dyke thinks the election should go ahead, at the same time saying that Blatter must go. As though there was only 1 possible result!

leohoenig
Administrator

May 28, 2015, 11:43 AM

Team(s): Cheltenham Town

Post #23 of 57 (5384 views)
Shortcut
Re: [derekn] Alternative International Football Association, anybody? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

The FA have been backing Prince Ali as the most credible alternative to Blatter, while all the other candidates have pulled out. UEFA has suggested that the elections should be postponed, but this is mainly out of self interest.

If Blatter has been weakened, then it is likely that Van Praag, Champagne and possibly Platini would enter the contest.

The idea mentioned of an Alternative International Association that excludes many members is basically a plan that would put the game in hock to the major professional leagues. FIFA needs reform, but it does not need replacement. It has done well to take sponsors money and pass it to the smaller associations, rather than the richer professional clubs. A reformed FIFA should still be distributing grants, but would add oversight so as the monies are spent correctly, so as football associations do not have well paid staff in shiny glass offices when they cannot afford the costs of flying their youth teams to away matches.

Fat AND Pompous.
The proof that you can have too much of a good thing
Now blogging at http://www.leohoenig.com

Into the nervous 990s. 3998 - Stade Lievre d'Or, Chateauneuf sur Loire

paulh66

May 31, 2015, 2:23 PM

Team(s): Tranmere Rovers, South Liverpool (the South will rise again), Cammell Laird

Post #24 of 57 (5179 views)
Shortcut
Re: [leohoenig] Alternative International Football Association, anybody? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

For all the whining coming from Europe over Blatter, talk of a WC boycott and a possible breakaway from FIFA, two uncomfortable facts stand out - Blatter won a democratic election and he has not (..yet!) been implicated in the criminal investigations.

If Dyke, Gill, Platini and all the other insiders are so sure that this is a thoroughly corrupt regime, why don't they join forces to provide collective proof, rather than joining forces to organize a boycott? That would surely be the best way of getting rid of the bloke.

In reality, isn't this just a case of UEFA and the FA pushing an alternative agenda, one based around power and greed? Shades of the forces that gave rise to the Premier League? Dykes comments today certainly play to that to tune. To quote from the BBC:

Dyke, meanwhile, believes the whole presidential election voting system needs to be reformed.
All 209 Fifa member countries have an equal say in the vote, regardless of size or football pedigree.
"It is a very strange system," added Dyke.
"A democracy where everyone gets one vote looks completely fair but then you say hang on a minute, Turks & Caicos Islands get the same vote as England, Germany or America, that doesn't make any sense at all. At some stage, that might have to be changed.
"What Mr Blatter has done is gone around the world encouraging any small country he can find to join Fifa and that is a vote for him.
"The money is spread fairly evenly and for a lot of smaller countries that means almost their total income comes from Fifa, and they thank Mr Blatter for that."

So Dyke's vision is clear - more power, more money for the bigger nations. Which must mean less money for the game to develop in other nations. Exactly the same blueprint that the big boys have used to shaft the lesser lights in England over the last 25 years. For all FIFA's faults, this just smacks of a power play and political opportunism. And for the dissenters to take the moral high ground when their real agenda is clear is quite nauseating.

windydcfc

May 31, 2015, 2:53 PM

Post #25 of 57 (5171 views)
Shortcut
Re: [paulh66] Alternative International Football Association, anybody? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

The issues and web of deceit at FIFA goes back decades. It all started with Joao Havelange & then passed on to Sepp Blatter. All the so called lesser nations, owe these two the vote! It's all been bought over years of patronage & behind closed door deals. These countries benefit from the corruption the flows through FIFA. It's going to be hard for anyone to pin anything on Blatter, because he doesn't possess a mobile phone or a computer. The FBI aren't going to find a trail leading back to him, because he's made sure there isn't one!

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3