Home: Administration: Messages from / Questions to Administrators:
ipad

Thornes FC
Junior Team Star

Oct 7, 2014, 1:38 PM

Post #1 of 19 (42202 views)
Shortcut
ipad Can't Post or Reply Privately

none of the nonleaguematters website is working on my ipad, never had a problem before but about a week ago it just began refusing to load, the nonleaguematters banner at the top of the page will load but then nothing happens and the address bar at the top is showing the page as approximately 3/4 loaded. I assumed the site was down but having just tried on my laptop, everything works fine but is still not working on ipad??

cheers

paulh66
Qatar World Cup bid member!

Oct 7, 2014, 1:43 PM

Team(s): Tranmere Rovers, South Liverpool (the South will rise again), Cammell Laird

Post #2 of 19 (42200 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Thornes FC] ipad [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I'm glad you posted that as I've had exactly the same problem over the last week or so. I ended up changing the DNS settings on my iPad to those of Opendns (dead easy, and I'm IT illiterate..) and it works fine now. But, as it's not just me, this suggests an issue with the site, and not the iPad...

EDIT: throughout that time it worked fine on my PC. Also, curiously, it DID work OK on my iPad when I was away for a day last week and using a remote wifi connection. For this reason I assumed it was an issue with my settings rather than the site, even though it was only this site that was problematic.

(This post was edited by paulh66 on Oct 7, 2014, 1:48 PM)

Thornes FC
Junior Team Star

Oct 7, 2014, 1:47 PM

Post #3 of 19 (42194 views)
Shortcut
Re: [paulh66] ipad [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

so how do i do that?! haha Smile

paulh66

Oct 7, 2014, 1:52 PM

Team(s): Tranmere Rovers, South Liverpool (the South will rise again), Cammell Laird

Post #4 of 19 (42191 views)
Shortcut

Go to settings, then wifi, then click on your connection. It'll show IP addresses. Where it says DNS, type in 208.67.222.222 in place of the existing address. This is one of two DNS addresses that belong to Opendns.

Thornes FC
Junior Team Star

Oct 7, 2014, 2:02 PM

Post #5 of 19 (42186 views)
Shortcut

and it works! really appreciate it! cheers

surely there must be a lot more people with this same problem!

Thornes FC
Junior Team Star

Oct 7, 2014, 2:06 PM

Post #6 of 19 (42182 views)
Shortcut

additionally, wont work on my iphone through wifi but will work through mobile internet

sky broadband by any chance?

paulh66

Oct 7, 2014, 2:08 PM

Post #7 of 19 (42179 views)
Shortcut

Yes, Sky broadband! I guess there must have been an update to either that or this site that's caused an incompatibility.

steve walker
Administrator

Oct 7, 2014, 5:18 PM

Team(s):

Post #8 of 19 (42143 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
Yes, Sky broadband! I guess there must have been an update to either that or this site that's caused an incompatibility.

I certainly haven't made any changes to the forum. If this problem persists I will point the forum hosting company at it and see what further information they need.

sjj2112
Reserve Team Regular

Oct 8, 2014, 9:10 AM

Team(s): Crewe Alexandra, Nantwich Town, Ashford Town (Middx), Venezia

Post #9 of 19 (42046 views)
Shortcut
Re: [steve walker] ipad [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

If you are using Sky Broadband check if they have automatically turned on their global Sky Filter (or whatever they call it). They did this on my account without any notification and caused me a few headaches with various sites until I logged in to my Sky account and turned it off.

It's all part of the government's policy of getting ISPs to protect us from ourselves...

I'm a man of many anoraks.....

Steveb
Chelsea Transfer Target

Oct 8, 2014, 9:13 PM

Team(s): England, Leicester City, Bedfont & Feltham

Post #10 of 19 (41926 views)
Shortcut
Re: [sjj2112] ipad [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I've been having the same problem with my ipad for the last few days. The site loads if I'm using 3G but not when using my home wifi, which is from ee.

http://stevebthegroundhopper.blogspot.co.uk/

paulh66

Oct 9, 2014, 2:07 AM

Post #11 of 19 (41875 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
If you are using Sky Broadband check if they have automatically turned on their global Sky Filter (or whatever they call it). They did this on my account without any notification and caused me a few headaches with various sites until I logged in to my Sky account and turned it off.

It's all part of the government's policy of getting ISPs to protect us from ourselves...

If this is the Broadband Shield then, having just checked, it looks like I've never activated that in the first place. But nor, apparently, have I opted out of it! Unless Opendns has overridden some of this.

sjj2112
Reserve Team Regular

Oct 9, 2014, 9:15 AM

Team(s): Crewe Alexandra, Nantwich Town, Ashford Town (Middx), Venezia

Post #12 of 19 (41815 views)
Shortcut

I didn't activate it either, but I have now opted out of it.

I'm a man of many anoraks.....

Mark
Reserve Team Sub

Nov 19, 2014, 11:14 PM

Post #13 of 19 (39951 views)
Shortcut

Just noticed this thread.

I've had big problems trying to load this site using Apple devices. I've tried an iPhone 4, 5 and 6, as well as an iPad, and give up after the main page hasn't loaded in 10 minutes. That's using Safari; if I use Chrome it can load as 'quickly' as 3-4 minutes.

The problem must have been ongoing for the past 3 months and it can't be related to network connectivity as I've tried it using different wifi networks and 3G on the road.

(This post was edited by Mark on Nov 19, 2014, 11:15 PM)

paulh66

Nov 19, 2014, 11:18 PM

Post #14 of 19 (39944 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Mark] ipad [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

It's been fine for me ever since I did the fix in post #4. Before then, like you, I found it was marginally less slow on Chrome compared to Safari.

Mark
Reserve Team Sub

Nov 20, 2014, 9:39 PM

Post #15 of 19 (39863 views)
Shortcut

Cheers, that works with wifi. It's a shame that something on the site must be causing a problem though, as this still makes it very difficult to use the site with 3G.

VP
Man City Transfer Target!

Nov 21, 2014, 4:23 PM

Post #16 of 19 (39792 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
Just noticed this thread.

I've had big problems trying to load this site using Apple devices. I've tried an iPhone 4, 5 and 6, as well as an iPad, and give up after the main page hasn't loaded in 10 minutes. That's using Safari; if I use Chrome it can load as 'quickly' as 3-4 minutes.

The problem must have been ongoing for the past 3 months and it can't be related to network connectivity as I've tried it using different wifi networks and 3G on the road.

I use a Samsung Galaxy when out and about and it loads almost immediately. I use the standard Google app but have just tried going in via Chrome (with wi-fi switched off) and that's fine as well.
Just mentioning this in case it helps isolate the problem.

(This post was edited by VP on Nov 21, 2014, 4:26 PM)

steve walker
Administrator

Nov 21, 2014, 9:18 PM

Team(s):

Post #17 of 19 (39760 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
Cheers, that works with wifi. It's a shame that something on the site must be causing a problem though, as this still makes it very difficult to use the site with 3G.

I'm not sure why this is a site problem. Surely it's an ipad problem?

I've been looking through the apple forums and there are a large number of threads along the lines of 'xyz.com won't load but everything else does' so it appears to be something not unique to this site, more a problem with apple.

Although I couldn't find a definitive answer the advice seems to be a re-set "Try powering the iPad off completely - i.e. not just putting it to Sleep - by pressing and holding the Power button until the slider control appears. Accept the offer to switch off and then, when the iPad has completely powered down (blank screen), press and hold the Power button again until the white Apple logo appears and then wait for it to power back up. This simple procedure cures a whole load of problems and even Apple recommend you do this at least once a week."

..........and to make sure you are running the latest firmware update.

Mark
Reserve Team Sub

Jan 29, 2015, 9:30 PM

Post #18 of 19 (38239 views)
Shortcut
Re: [steve walker] ipad [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Just thought I'd provide an update. No amount of re-starting made any difference to any Apple device, then this site started working on 3G again about 2 weeks ago.

nico
Chelsea Transfer Target

Feb 5, 2015, 4:23 PM

Team(s): SV Schadenfreude

Post #19 of 19 (35113 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
Go to settings, then wifi, then click on your connection. It'll show IP addresses. Where it says DNS, type in 208.67.222.222 in place of the existing address. This is one of two DNS addresses that belong to Opendns.

I've just started using an iPad to access this forum - or should I say TRYING to access this forum - and have found similar problems of this site not loading at all. However, Paul's solution above does seem to work... even to a technophobe like me! Wink Thanks Paul.

One moment's high and glory rolls on by

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3