you're letting facts get in the way.

blackdouglas
Chelsea Transfer Target

Sep 19, 2014, 8:35 AM

Team(s): See signature for clubs

Post #27 of 46 (4546 views)
Shortcut
Re: [ladderman] Berwick Rangers [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I guess with 55% of the 84% turnout (that enough for some?) going for "NO" makes this irrelevant now!

Northwood, Threave Rovers, Arsenal, Rangers (the real ones, NOT qpr),Watford, Rochdale, queen of the south and a few others.

Unicorn
Chelsea Transfer Target

Sep 19, 2014, 8:56 AM

Team(s): Arsenal and South Eastern Football

Post #28 of 46 (4532 views)
Shortcut
Re: [blackdouglas] Berwick Rangers [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
I guess with 55% of the 84% turnout (that enough for some?) going for "NO" makes this irrelevant now!

Yes indeed.
I watched the Prime Minister this morning and he did not even mention Berwick Rangers.

ladderman
Man City Transfer Target!

Sep 19, 2014, 1:19 PM

Team(s): Bishop's Stortford & Cambridge United

Post #29 of 46 (4432 views)
Shortcut
Re: [blackdouglas] Berwick Rangers [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

Surely it'll become relevant when we have the referendum on England's independence? I presume, for the sake of fairness, we're getting one?

PaulC

Sep 19, 2014, 3:57 PM

Team(s): AFC Darwen, Troon, Ayr Utd, Burnley

Post #30 of 46 (4365 views)
Shortcut
Re: [ladderman] Berwick Rangers [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

In Reply To

Surely it'll become relevant when we have the referendum on England's independence? I presume, for the sake of fairness, we're getting one?

85% of MPs at Westerminster represent English constituents and are elected by them. Who has been preventing you from having one?

sjosta
First Team Regular

Sep 19, 2014, 4:25 PM

Team(s): Groundhopper, ABE

Post #31 of 46 (4339 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Unicorn] Berwick Rangers [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

In Reply To
Sort of makes sense now, i was in Narva in the early 90s and there was one hell of stink with Russia and Estonia trading insults over former USSR citizens.If/when Scotland ever got it's EU membership sorted then lots of the problems i imagine could eventually be dealt with.People in NI can hold ROI passports.

People in England can hold ROI passports.
A friend of mine who has recently died held one for all his adult life.
Born and raised in South London near me and never a resident in the Republic. But both his parents were Irish.

All the Irish can hold ROI passports

85% of MPs at Westminster represent English constituents and are elected by them. Who has been preventing you from having one?

==================================================
The truth is that none of the English regions has ever shown any interest in devolution in the past. It was suggested as recently as 1979 you know. Northumbria would have been bricking it if Scotland had got Independence.Then they would have been "a country so far away about which we know so little", and care even less

Football seen in: Scotland (268 grounds), England (969), Germany (289), Sweden (208), Netherlands (67), Wales (27), Ireland (S&N)(23/4), Austria (9), France (6), Denmark(5), Belgium(3),Italy(2), Luxembourg (2), Spain (2), Liechtenstein, Jersey, Switzerland, Canada
Figures correct(ish) at end of season 14-15 (1898 total)
For all your Fife needs:
Fife Junior History

(This post was edited by sjosta on Sep 19, 2014, 4:28 PM)

Unicorn
Chelsea Transfer Target

Sep 19, 2014, 5:10 PM

Post #32 of 46 (4317 views)
Shortcut
Re: [PaulC] Berwick Rangers [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

In Reply To

In Reply To

85% of MPs at Westerminster represent English constituents and are elected by them. Who has been preventing you from having one?

They are because none of them ever ask us what we want.
It looks like that might change now.

Unicorn
Chelsea Transfer Target

Sep 19, 2014, 5:18 PM

Post #33 of 46 (4308 views)
Shortcut
Re: [sjosta] Berwick Rangers [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

In Reply To
[repl
The truth is that none of the English regions has ever shown any interest in devolution in the past. It was suggested as recently as 1979 you know. Northumbria would have been bricking it if Scotland had got Independence.Then they would have been "a country so far away about which we know so little", and care even less

People in England do not want devolution they just want a government in Westminster that recognises that we are English first and British second.
If we did not care about the North Eastern area of England we would not be discussing Berwick Rangers.

ladderman

Sep 19, 2014, 5:32 PM

Team(s): Bishop's Stortford & Cambridge United

Post #34 of 46 (4298 views)
Shortcut
Re: [PaulC] Berwick Rangers [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

In Reply To

In Reply To

Because there's never been a one-policy party campaigning for it.

I - and no doubt the Welsh - look forward to the Barnett Formula being revised now the people of Scotland have decided they'll lower themselves to remain part of the UK

sjosta
First Team Regular

Sep 19, 2014, 9:56 PM

Team(s): Groundhopper, ABE

Post #35 of 46 (4208 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To

In Reply To

In Reply To
[repl

People in England do not want devolution they just want a government in Westminster that recognises that we are English first and British second.
If we did not care about the North Eastern area of England we would not be discussing Berwick Rangers.

You may have up to three official pieces of paper
1) your driving license
2) your birth certificate and
3) your passport

how many of these say your English,

and how many say you are British

"You can't meddle with the laws of the country Cap'n" as Mr Scott may have once said.

Football seen in: Scotland (268 grounds), England (969), Germany (289), Sweden (208), Netherlands (67), Wales (27), Ireland (S&N)(23/4), Austria (9), France (6), Denmark(5), Belgium(3),Italy(2), Luxembourg (2), Spain (2), Liechtenstein, Jersey, Switzerland, Canada
Figures correct(ish) at end of season 14-15 (1898 total)
For all your Fife needs:
Fife Junior History

Unicorn
Chelsea Transfer Target

Sep 19, 2014, 10:00 PM

Post #36 of 46 (4204 views)
Shortcut
Re: [sjosta] Berwick Rangers [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

You are completely missing the point.
None of them say i am English and that is the problem.
I want them to.

But that has nothing to do with Berwick Rangers.

(This post was edited by Unicorn on Sep 19, 2014, 10:16 PM)

mick
Chelsea Transfer Target

Sep 19, 2014, 11:21 PM

Post #37 of 46 (4160 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To

Rather a sweeping statement. There are various different view points. I know people who are in favour of devolution and others who consider themselves British first (or only).

In Berwick, which is what kicked off this thread, there is a significant number of people who want the town to transfer (back to) Scotland.

(This post was edited by mick on Sep 19, 2014, 11:22 PM)

Unicorn
Chelsea Transfer Target

Sep 19, 2014, 11:49 PM

Post #38 of 46 (4141 views)
Shortcut
Re: [mick] Berwick Rangers [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

In Reply To

Rather a sweeping statement. There are various different view points. I know people who are in favour of devolution and others who consider themselves British first (or only).

In Berwick, which is what kicked off this thread, there is a significant number of people who want the town to transfer (back to) Scotland.

Well obviously there will be people in Berwick who want to be Scottish and there will never be a better time than now to make their voices heard.
I consider British to be a political concept not a nationality.
Obviously you don't agree.

My last word on the subject because this thread is suppose to be about football in Berwick.

KnowYourMarket

Sep 22, 2014, 1:23 PM

Team(s): WBA, FC Saarbruecken, Brierley Hill Alliance (RIP)

Post #39 of 46 (3826 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
You are completely missing the point.
None of them say i am English and that is the problem.
I want them to.

But that has nothing to do with Berwick Rangers.

Can I have a "Black Country" passport then please? Those are my roots and I have as much in common with someone brought up in Dumfries as I do someone in Folkestone. I'm British thanks.

Last ground visited(update requested by Spud): Wellington . New grounds 18/19: 38

Unicorn
Chelsea Transfer Target

Sep 22, 2014, 1:43 PM

Post #40 of 46 (3812 views)
Shortcut
Re: [KnowYourMarket] Berwick Rangers [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Not up for discussion with me.
You will have to address your opinions to someone else.
The thread lead away from the topic.
You can want what you like.
I am not remotely interested.
Don't wish to be rude buts thats the way it is.

(This post was edited by Unicorn on Sep 22, 2014, 2:00 PM)

non-league fan
Banned

Sep 26, 2014, 12:33 AM

Team(s): Oxford United, also groundhopper

Post #41 of 46 (3515 views)
Shortcut
Re: [kirby knitters] Berwick Rangers [In reply to] Can't Post or

In Reply To
Sort of makes sense now, i was in Narva

At first glance I thought you'd said Narnia! (Wonder if they do programmes there?)

kirby knitters
Qatar World Cup bid member!

Sep 26, 2014, 8:35 AM

Team(s): Hinckley United FC.

Post #42 of 46 (3455 views)
Shortcut
Re: [non-league fan] Berwick Rangers [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

In Reply To

At first glance I thought you'd said Narnia! (Wonder if they do programmes there?)

SmileSmile

pitch 63
First Team Star

Sep 26, 2014, 11:01 AM

Post #43 of 46 (3402 views)
Shortcut
Re: [kirby knitters] Berwick Rangers [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

In Reply To

In Reply To

At first glance I thought you'd said Narnia! (Wonder if they do programmes there?) Sadly they don't, but I know a Groundhopper that will produce one for you.

SmileSmile

Gladstone
Youth Team Star

Sep 26, 2014, 9:19 PM

Post #44 of 46 (3213 views)
Shortcut
Re: [pitch 63] Berwick Rangers [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

IMO it would have made no difference either way. Club can be geographically in one country yet play matches in league of another.

Derry City for instance.

Berwick Rangers could have done the same.

Gladstone

Ronald Price
Youth Team Star

Sep 28, 2014, 9:49 AM

Team(s):

Post #45 of 46 (3077 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Gladstone] Berwick Rangers [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I believe Berwick Rangers opted to play in Scottish competitions since the early 1900s. (1904?) Previously they had a least one season in the North Nortumberland League.

They were also among the first entrants to the FA Amateur Cup with a last entry in 1897/98.

Ron Price

Andrelux
First Team Regular

Oct 3, 2014, 8:57 PM

Team(s): Brentford (for my sins - obviously done something really bad in a past life

Post #46 of 46 (2709 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Martin9] Berwick Rangers [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

In Reply To
Frankly, the passport / nationality thing is a bit of a non-issue.

If the Scots voted for independance today, then everyone who currently holds or is eligible for a British passport would be able to keep it or obtain one. Then anyone born after 2016 (say) in Scotland would be entitled to a British Passport if they have a British parent. If there were any issue about being able to have dual British and Scottish nationalilty, it would only occur after about 2050 ish, and even then not for eveyone. An issue which is a long way in the future, anyway.

That's contrary to everything I've heard and seen stated. According to Scottish government's white paper blueprint for independence published at end of last year "your UK passport would still be valid until its expiry date" which implies after that point it's accepted that Scots will only be able to obtain a Scottish passport unless they've a basis for claiming dual nationality. Certainly given there was also talk of setting up 100 Scottish embassies abroad implies Scottish Passports are an inevitability.

A bit of a dead letter at the moment,i in view of the vote, but **IF** at some time in the future there were to be another referendum at some time in the future, and **IF** Scots voted for independence, then clearly whilst an independent Scotland would be fully able to decide who was or was not entitled to a Scottish passport, they could have no say on who would have the right to a British passport, which obviously would be outside of their jurisdiction.

A precedent has been set by Ireland. Anyone born in Ireland before 1949 (its formal idependance from the UK), is entitled to a British passport. I believe it also percolates down one further generation, so that anyone born of one of those is also entitled to a British passport.

Irrespective, entitlement to a British passport has nothing to do with a putative future independent Scotland. The most they could do would be to legislate against being able to hold dual nationality.

But on the basis that the next 'once in a lifetime' referendum is probably about twenty years away, in the event of a 'yes' then, I'd punt the nationality issue back to about 2070. I'll be long gone by then. An issue for my grand-nieces' grand-children to mull over.

(This post was edited by Andrelux on Oct 3, 2014, 9:05 PM)

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3