Home: Non-League Football Discussion: Other British Isles Football:
Flower suffix

Junior Team Star

Aug 1, 2014, 11:19 AM

Team(s):

Post #1 of 8 (2978 views)
Shortcut
Flower suffix Can't Post or Reply Privately

Now I'm living in Edinburgh, I'm exploring Junior football a bit more. Been to Armadale Thistle last week (brilliant ground) and will go to Dundonald Bluebell this evening. I was wondering why so many clubs in the Junior have a flower as a suffix? I get the Thistle, but "Rose", "Bluebell", "Hawthorn" and "Violet"? I love it, but does anybody knows why this is the case?

prorege
Man City Transfer Target!

Aug 1, 2014, 11:40 AM

Team(s): Fife teams

Post #2 of 8 (2969 views)
Shortcut
Re: [1896] Flower suffix [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Difficult to give a definitive answer.

However, most of the early teams with a "flower" suffix came from mining / heavy industrial areas. One theory is that the flower names represented a brighter picture than calling the team "Colliery" or "Ironworks". Also easy to link to the club colours or badge.

My own favourites are Fishcross Heatherbell, Crossgates Primrose, Loanhead Mayflower, Hill of Beath Hawthorn and Easthouses Lily. Dundee Violet's nickname is the Pansies. Old-timers still refer to Newmanins United as "The Dallies", a Scots version of Dahlias.

PaulC

Aug 1, 2014, 2:51 PM

Team(s): AFC Darwen, Troon, Ayr Utd, Burnley

Post #3 of 8 (2898 views)
Shortcut
Re: [prorege] Flower suffix [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I rather like Burnfoothill Primrose and Benwhat Heatherbell (both from long-deserted miners' rows high above Patna and Dalmellington in South Ayrshire).

(This post was edited by PaulC on Aug 1, 2014, 2:53 PM)

Mister TwoU
First Team Star

Aug 1, 2014, 4:20 PM

Team(s): Malvern Town F,C,

Post #4 of 8 (2869 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
Now I'm living in Edinburgh, I'm exploring Junior football a bit more. Been to Armadale Thistle last week (brilliant ground) and will go to Dundonald Bluebell this evening. I was wondering why so many clubs in the Junior have a flower as a suffix? I get the Thistle, but "Rose", "Bluebell", "Hawthorn" and "Violet"? I love it, but does anybody knows why this is the case?

This 'flower habit' in team naming likely arose among largely 'protestant'-run teams, to distance them from the rife sectarianism of the times. It was hoped that being associated with such a benign totem would decrease the likelihood of internecine supporter violence.
I've no idea whether it worked just so, however it's obvious that a certain amount of 'nationalism' was allowed to creep into things, via the adoption of the Scots National flower by so many teams: the generally prickly and bit nasty 'Thistle'!

Professional cretin.

sjosta
First Team Regular

Aug 1, 2014, 8:40 PM

Team(s): Groundhopper, ABE

Post #5 of 8 (2794 views)
Shortcut
Re: [PaulC] Flower suffix [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Benwhat is of course the Anglicised version of the old name, which pronounced the same was spelt "Benquhat"; the quh was the old form of what is now wh

Football seen in: Scotland (268 grounds), England (969), Germany (289), Sweden (208), Netherlands (67), Wales (27), Ireland (S&N)(23/4), Austria (9), France (6), Denmark(5), Belgium(3),Italy(2), Luxembourg (2), Spain (2), Liechtenstein, Jersey, Switzerland, Canada
Figures correct(ish) at end of season 14-15 (1898 total)
For all your Fife needs:
Fife Junior History

PaulC

Aug 2, 2014, 9:28 PM

Team(s): AFC Darwen, Troon, Ayr Utd, Burnley

Post #6 of 8 (2653 views)
Shortcut
Re: [sjosta] Flower suffix [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Benwhat is of course the Anglicised version of the old name, which pronounced the same was spelt "Benquhat"; the quh was the old form of what is now wh

"quh" still exists in surnames like Colquhoun and Farquhar. In the past quho, qhhen, quhat were standard spellings of who, when, what.

Junior Team Star

Aug 5, 2014, 10:52 AM

Team(s):

Post #7 of 8 (2442 views)
Shortcut
Re: [PaulC] Flower suffix [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Thanks for the answers :-)

bmccoll
Reserve Team Sub

Aug 6, 2014, 2:04 PM

Post #8 of 8 (2339 views)
Shortcut

For a comprehensive list of 'flower' names search through the online Club Directory at the SFHA using the 'find' function in excel.

http://www.scottish-football-historical-archive.co.nf/

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3