First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

oxpete
Chelsea Transfer Target

Jul 29, 2014, 5:04 PM

Team(s): Pompey

Post #1 of 30 (7572 views)
Shortcut
Proper cafes and greasy spoons Can't Post or Reply Privately

The Oxford legend that is 'The Excelcior Cafe' in Cowley Road is to close after 53 years - the last (and best) of a string of excellent Oxford greasy spoon cafes to have closed over the past few years.

http://www.oxfordmail.co.uk/...oth_and_stir/?ref=mr

My own local favourite local, the St.Giles Cafe, where I was a weekly regular for over ten years, closed on Christmas Eve 2012. Its been replaced by just what Oxford needs - yet another bloody overpriced French bistro!! I suspect The Excelcior, sat where it is in that uber-trendy but cholesterol-intolerant part of town, will soon go the same way.

Does anyone else miss these cafes?

Can anyone name some that are worth the journey?

I'll name:

The Excelcior, 250 Cowley Road, Oxford

Pete's Eats, 40 High Street, Llanberis, Gwynedd

Feed Cafe, 7 The Arches, The Hard, Portsmouth

Isaac
Man City Transfer Target!

Jul 30, 2014, 9:34 AM

Team(s): ABMU

Post #2 of 30 (7487 views)
Shortcut
Re: [oxpete] Proper cafes and greasy spoons [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I'm not really a regular visitor to cafes but I've always found the blue and white cafe on the A20 south of Ashford to be very good

richiejenn
First Team Star

Jul 30, 2014, 12:24 PM

Team(s):

Post #3 of 30 (7466 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Isaac] Proper cafes and greasy spoons [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In London it has to be the Regency Cafe near Westminster. From the outside decor to the freshly cooked and not too greasy food, the orange juice sold in a pint milk bottle and finally the server "decibel Doris!"
We had some great Friday morning project meetings in there Smile

kirby knitters
Qatar World Cup bid member!

Aug 1, 2014, 10:52 AM

Team(s): Hinckley United FC.

Post #4 of 30 (7293 views)
Shortcut
Re: [richiejenn] Proper cafes and greasy spoons [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Corner Cafe in Hinckley, a meeting place for a good few before the bus journey to home games!.An absolute classic establishment which i miss loads, there's nothing in Leicester anywhere near as good

Rob North
First Team Star

Aug 1, 2014, 12:36 PM

Team(s): Didcot Town, Reading

Post #5 of 30 (7276 views)
Shortcut
Re: [oxpete] Proper cafes and greasy spoons [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Dunfermline it has to be Giacomo's in Cross Wynd, a proper old style cafe that has stood the test of time and is invariably busy.

CND67
First Team Star

Aug 1, 2014, 12:54 PM

Team(s): Wolverhampton Wanderers & England

Post #6 of 30 (7268 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Rob North] Proper cafes and greasy spoons [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Leicester, Choice Cafe on the A426 not far from the football ground is a classic greasey spoon with decent food.

Details if anyone needs them;

Choice Cafe, 266 Aylestone Rd, Leicester LE2 7QT

Last New Ground: Wellington
Grounds Visited: 1,121

(This post was edited by CND67 on Aug 1, 2014, 12:55 PM)

R.S.Cavendish
First Team Star

Aug 1, 2014, 5:20 PM

Post #7 of 30 (7225 views)
Shortcut
Re: [CND67] Proper cafes and greasy spoons [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Every few years a 'Truckstop Guide' is published which shows where all the decent cafes are on the trunk road network.

My favourite, by a very long way, is the Stibbington Diner situated on the A1 southbound just past the A47 junction.

CND67
First Team Star

Aug 2, 2014, 10:23 AM

Post #8 of 30 (7163 views)
Shortcut
Re: [R.S.Cavendish] Proper cafes and greasy spoons [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Not many left in Rugby these day but one which has hung on and is worth a visit is the Woodside Cafe, 8 Wood St, Rugby CV21 2NS. Its in the general direction of the town centre from the railway station.

Also here's a website for those people that need a fix of bacon and egg when they are out and about;

http://www.ifancyafryup.co.uk/cafes

CND67
First Team Star

Aug 3, 2014, 1:50 AM

Post #9 of 30 (7106 views)
Shortcut
Re: [CND67] Proper cafes and greasy spoons [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Just a couple more classic cafes from places I have resided in and frequented;

Newport (South Wales) - Sadly the cafe I was going to suggest has shut down and is now a house, which is the whole point of this thread I suppose. Sad times, they made the best sausage and egg sandwiches ever!

Coventry - The Crescent Cafe, Jubilee Crescent, Coventry, CV6 3ES

This Coventry cafe is a classic cafe in the North of Coventry, highly recommended!

Ancient Wolf
Reserve Team Regular

Aug 10, 2014, 11:44 AM

Team(s): Middlesbrough and Norton and Stockton Ancients

Post #10 of 30 (6917 views)
Shortcut

Visited the Woodside cafe in Rugby while I waited for a lift from Rugby station on saturday.
Just 5 mins walk from the station.
Had a cup of tea for 60p v good value and the food menu looked good.
Will return for a meal another time.

wishmaster3211
First Team Star

Aug 10, 2014, 1:37 PM

Team(s): Calne Town, Darlington, Rosenborg, Sussex CCC, Huddersfield RL

Post #11 of 30 (6893 views)
Shortcut

Ah at last an extremely worthwhile and interesting thread.

Locally, between Swindon and Calne (at Lyneham) you have "Piggy's" which is highly recommended. I also like the one in the Market Place in Devizes (Little House of Coffee). In Chippenham, Jollys is good.

If you are in London, opposite Marylebone station there is a superb Italian run Greasy Spoon which has won many awards. There is also one on the North side corner of Euston Rd up the top of the steps from Euston Square Tube.

There are quite a lot that I use, I will try and rememebr to update this when I do!

"Run For the Hills Before They Burn"

Checkout my Facebook page "Proper Football Grounds"

facebook.com/paul.fergusson

paulh66

Aug 10, 2014, 1:44 PM

Team(s): Tranmere Rovers, South Liverpool (the South will rise again), Cammell Laird

Post #12 of 30 (6887 views)
Shortcut
Re: [wishmaster3211] Proper cafes and greasy spoons [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

The Shiraz cafe, bang in the centre of Liverpool on Williamson Square. Sounds like a kebab shop but it's a proper cafe that is becoming renowned amongst locals for its all day breakfasts. Big portions and tastes superb. Within 5 minutes of Lime St station and several GBG entries too..

kirby knitters

Aug 10, 2014, 1:49 PM

Team(s): Hinckley United FC.

Post #13 of 30 (6884 views)
Shortcut
Re: [wishmaster3211] Proper cafes and greasy spoons [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Talking of piggy's there is a greasy spoon with a name just like that on the right hand side of the line just before entering Wolverhampton station coming from Bham, it looks great and one of these days i'll get round to trying the place out.

EDIT
Just had word from a chap in Crewe that it's called Greedy Pig Cafe, and the brekkie menu is worth a lookSly

(This post was edited by kirby knitters on Aug 10, 2014, 2:11 PM)

wishmaster3211
First Team Star

Aug 10, 2014, 8:42 PM

Post #14 of 30 (6835 views)
Shortcut
Re: [kirby knitters] Proper cafes and greasy spoons [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

One I haven't been to in years but used to go often when i lived in Swindon: Greasy Joes in Cirencester! Its behind the McDonalds off the roundabout on the ring road.

Isaac

Aug 11, 2014, 10:55 AM

Team(s): ABMU

Post #15 of 30 (6777 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
One I haven't been to in years but used to go often when i lived in Swindon: Greasy Joes in Cirencester! Its behind the McDonalds off the roundabout on the ring road.

And I hope that is the only time that word will appear in a thread about proper cafesWink

karldax
Youth Team Sub

Aug 11, 2014, 12:18 PM

Team(s): Forest Green & AFC Emley

Post #16 of 30 (6755 views)
Shortcut

Sadly Greasy Joe's closed in May. http://www.wiltsglosstandard.co.uk/...reasy_Joe_s/?ref=rss

The Hills of Forest Green
Where the mountains reach the sky
A Dream comes true
I'll live there till I die

Castles in The Air - Don McLean

wishmaster3211
First Team Star

Aug 14, 2014, 11:19 PM

Post #17 of 30 (6582 views)
Shortcut
Re: [karldax] Proper cafes and greasy spoons [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

Sad news indeed...

LondonBuck
Chelsea Transfer Target

Mar 29, 2016, 11:29 PM

Team(s): AFC Telford United, Witham Town, Folkestone Invicta, Gillingham, Woking

Post #18 of 30 (4938 views)
Shortcut
Re: [wishmaster3211] Proper cafes! [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Not a greasy spoon at all, but a proper cafe/coffee shop..
Anyone heading to Meridian VP would find the Old Cottage Cafe in Charlton Park worth a visit. A real gem, serving a wide selection of freshly made sandwiches, soup, and home made cakes, with a large mug of tea just £1. It is very welcoming and cosy, a fine place! Smile

626 GROUNDS - Cadbury Athletic(57/92)
576 WETHERSPOONS - Biggleswade
1 WETHERSPOONS HOTEL

(This post was edited by LondonBuck on Mar 29, 2016, 11:31 PM)

PaulC

Mar 30, 2016, 8:08 PM

Team(s): AFC Darwen, Troon, Ayr Utd, Burnley

Post #19 of 30 (4855 views)
Shortcut
Re: [paulh66] Proper cafes and greasy spoons [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I remember stopping at the transport caff on the old A74 at Metal Bridge on the England/Scotland border - long before the motorway was built.

Our daughter, aged about 5, took a look around inside and asked a little too loudly "Is this a poor people's cafe?"

John403
Youth Team Regular

Feb 1, 2017, 10:09 AM

Team(s): Fulham, Tooting & Mitcham, AFC Croydon Athletic

Post #20 of 30 (3960 views)
Shortcut
Re: [PaulC] Proper cafes and greasy spoons [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Was over in East London yesterday morning which gave me a chance to visit a cafe that has been on my to do list for a while.

E.Pellicci on Bethnal Green Rd.

The place oozes atmosphere and class! It was very busy as I expected with a few tourists but staff were brilliant and find you somewhere to sit pretty quickly without rushing those eating. Food was excellent although the chips didn't quite reach the standard of the Regency cafe in Pimlico! The waiter was trying to convince me to get a slice of Jam Roly Poly after my brekkie - Maybe another day Tongue

Barbie
First Team Sub

Feb 1, 2017, 12:44 PM

Team(s): Rye United RIP, Barry Town Utd

Post #21 of 30 (3920 views)
Shortcut

When you say 'proper cafes'...... French waiters in black with white aprons? Table service? Croissants? Plat du jour? Wink

garethwrexy

Feb 1, 2017, 5:42 PM

Team(s): wrexham and dulwich

Post #22 of 30 (3842 views)
Shortcut
Re: [John403] Proper cafes and greasy spoons [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Pie and mash still poplar in east end

wrexham fc fa trophy winners 2013 !

dottirofhod

Feb 1, 2017, 5:48 PM

Team(s): Crewe Alex and obviously England.(Unlike a lot on here)

Post #23 of 30 (3839 views)
Shortcut
Re: [garethwrexy] Proper cafes and greasy spoons [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Liquor ?

July 1, 2018 to June 30,2019 = 145/ 120 / 25(You know my rules) @ 18 /12 /2018.(Only 11 x 0-0's)

Project TFTTUEFAG's2018/19. Clubs 712.Grounds (Variable).(Inc Summer Leagues 2019 updates. TBC) .
Need - 110 ( 15.4%).

John403
Youth Team Regular

Feb 1, 2017, 6:12 PM

Team(s): Fulham, Tooting & Mitcham, AFC Croydon Athletic

Post #24 of 30 (3823 views)
Shortcut
Re: [garethwrexy] Proper cafes and greasy spoons [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Seems like there's been a little bit of a renaissance of pie and mash shops. A few have opened around London in the past couple of years.

R.S.Cavendish
First Team Star

Feb 2, 2017, 9:51 AM

Post #25 of 30 (3763 views)
Shortcut
Re: [John403] Proper cafes and greasy spoons [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

There is a super café in the centre of Cardigan. Stellas serves breakfasts from large to quite enormous. Under £10 for a wonderful experience.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3