Teams never going home?

windydcfc
Man City Transfer Target!

Jul 24, 2014, 10:45 AM

Team(s): Derby County FC England Borussia Mönchengladbach

Post #1 of 13 (7980 views)
Shortcut
Teams never going home? Can't Post or Reply Privately

I was wondering whether their are any teams which are in the same situation as Apollon Smyrni, who originally played in Smyrna/Izmir(now part of Turkey)! They have had to play all their home matches in Athens Greece, since 1922. Because of the expulsion of the Greeks from Asia Minor.
Also in a similar situation are Anorthosis Famagusta, who have had to play their home games in Larnaca, since 1974. Because of the war between Cyprus and Turkey and the subsequent division of the island of Cyprus! Although they may one day go back home, although at the moment this is slim.

kirby knitters
Qatar World Cup bid member!

Jul 24, 2014, 11:01 AM

Team(s): Hinckley United FC.

Post #2 of 13 (7974 views)
Shortcut
Re: [windydcfc] Teams never going home? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Lets hope some-one is not asking the same question of Shakhter Donetsk in a few years who have moved their H/Q to Kiev and will play home games in Lviv until things calm down..

leohoenig
Administrator

Jul 24, 2014, 11:20 AM

Team(s): Cheltenham Town

Post #3 of 13 (7965 views)
Shortcut
Re: [windydcfc] Teams never going home? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Also affected by the split in Cyprus, one of the teams forced to move from Famagusta was Nea Salami

Within their current ground, the Ammochostos Stadium is a mural of the old stadium.

The ground is now used in the North Cypriot League, and I had seen Magusa Turk Gucu play there a couple of days previously. Several Nea Salami supporters I spoke to appeared to be unaware of this, thinking it was within a military base

This is the ground, now called Dr Frank Kucuk Stadium in 2011

Fat AND Pompous.
The proof that you can have too much of a good thing
Now blogging at http://www.leohoenig.com

(This post was edited by leohoenig on Jul 24, 2014, 11:28 AM)

windydcfc

Jul 24, 2014, 11:43 AM

Team(s): Derby County FC England Borussia Mönchengladbach

Post #4 of 13 (7945 views)
Shortcut
Re: [leohoenig] Teams never going home? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Cyprus is my favourite holiday destination and the Mrs wants to move their when we eventually retire! We went their in 2004 and it was the 30th anniversary of the invasion. It was on TV and in the press. When we visited Nicosia and was driving up to the capital we were shocked to see the 2 Turkish/North Cypriot flags cut into the mountains. We went over to the North, through the crossing point at the Ledra Palace hotel. We spoke to Cypriots on both sides and they hate each other, apart from their former friends and neighbours that now live on the other side. I found a real underlying sadness about the whole situation and would hope it will one day get sorted out!

(This post was edited by windydcfc on Jul 24, 2014, 11:44 AM)

Fanatic
First Team Star

Jul 24, 2014, 1:24 PM

Team(s):

Post #5 of 13 (7901 views)
Shortcut

I'm guessing that the football club from Pripyat is unlikely to be returning to the city (abandoned after Chernobyl) any time soon, if they even still exist.

Some pics of the stadium as it is now:

http://www.footballculture.com/tsjernobyl-pripyat-rip/

Skraff
Junior Team Star

Jul 25, 2014, 12:18 PM

Team(s):

Post #6 of 13 (7757 views)
Shortcut

I used to work with a Greek girl whose family supported AEK Athens, and she told me they regarded AEK as a Constantinople club (she couldn't be persuaded to call it Istanbul) because it was founded by refugees from there. AEK indeed translates as Athletic Union (Enosis) of C(K)onstantinople, though since they never played there I don't know if they qualify as an answer to your question.

Fanatic
First Team Star

Jul 30, 2014, 10:41 PM

Team(s):

Post #7 of 13 (7461 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Skraff] Teams never going home? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Another one I've just found - the Azeri champions Qarabağ FK are originally from Agdam, which was abandoned during the Nagorno-Karabakh war and is now a ghost town.

halsteadhumbug
Youth Team Sub

Jan 8, 2016, 11:48 PM

Team(s): Halstead Town

Post #8 of 13 (6459 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Fanatic] Teams never going home? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

How about San Lorenzo of the argentine first division who were forced out of their Boedo barrio in Buenos Aires into a slum area of the city by the nineteen seventies argentine military junta so that a carrefor supermarket could be built. The current government have now recognised this fact and have informed the supermarket company to return the land to San Lorenzo or the government will intervene and force this through. Things are beginning to move now and the club hope to return in the near future. However as it's Argentina it's anybodies guess as to when this will actually occur.

Always returning to Argentina

Minstrite
Youth Team Regular

Feb 15, 2016, 6:04 PM

Team(s): Warminster Town

Post #9 of 13 (5951 views)
Shortcut

I went to Paphos recently and opposite my hotel on the very eastern end of the city was a lane up to a football stadium with an athletics track around it. It can't have been more than a couple of years since construction and looked unused from the rubbish and bushes overgrowing around it. There were no games played all the time I was on holiday. It was near to an open air swimming pool. Any light on who plays there?

stugg93
Reserve Team Regular

Feb 15, 2016, 11:54 PM

Team(s): Southampton, Shef Weds, Shef Utd, Ipswich, Blackfield & L, Hythe & Dibden

Post #10 of 13 (5867 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Minstrite] Teams never going home? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I know the two of the Paphos teams merged sometimes in the last 2 years, but don't know who plays at that particular stadium.

(This post was edited by stugg93 on Feb 16, 2016, 1:12 AM)

pokal02
First Team Star

Jun 19, 2017, 12:33 PM

Team(s): Barnet, Cockfosters, Truro City, Udinese

Post #11 of 13 (3939 views)
Shortcut
Re: [stugg93] Teams never going home? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Paphos is on my radar for 2017/18. I have e-mailed the club and they will be playing at the Stelios Kyriakides (aka Pafiako) Stadium, not Gerispokou Stadium as suggested by some websites.

halsteadhumbug
Youth Team Sub

Jun 27, 2017, 9:15 PM

Team(s): Halstead Town

Post #12 of 13 (3604 views)
Shortcut
Re: [pokal02] Teams never going home? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Anorthosis Famagusta of Cyprus are unable to return to Turkish occupied Famagusta. They now play in Larnaca as far as I know.

Always returning to Argentina

Richard Rundle

Jun 28, 2017, 6:57 PM

Post #13 of 13 (3452 views)
Shortcut
Re: [halsteadhumbug] Teams never going home? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Anorthosis Famagusta of Cyprus are unable to return to Turkish occupied Famagusta. They now play in Larnaca as far as I know.

See the very first post on this thread!

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3