Scunthorpe and District Lge

colpic
Chelsea Transfer Target

Jul 7, 2014, 3:50 PM

Team(s): Scotter United (Scunthorpe League), AFC Telford(home town club),

Post #1 of 9 (3354 views)
Shortcut
Scunthorpe and District Lge Can't Post or Reply Privately

The TSW Printers Scunthorpe & District League still has three divisions this season and the constitution is as follows:-

Division 1 (9)

Bottesford Town Res (P)
Brumby (P)
College Wanderers
Crosby Colts
Epworth Town
Limestone Rangers
New Holland Villa
Scotter Utd
Swinefleet Juniors

Division 2 (9)

Ashby RAOB
Barnetby Utd(R)
Broughton Colts(P)
Bruce FC(P)
College Wanderers Res
Crosby Colts Res
Crowle Town Colts
East Drayton(P)
Scunthonians

Division 3 (10)

Barnetby Utd Res
Briggensians
Crosby Colts Juniors
Epworth Town Res
Limestone Rangers Res(R)
Midtown Utd (New)
Santon
Scotter Utd Res(R)
Six Bells
Westwoodside Rangers(New)

Midtown Utd play at The Levellings on Love Lane, Gainsborough. Westwoodside Rangers play at the village playing fields on Akeferry Rd DN9 2DS.

Three teams have disappeared. It seems that Messingham Juniors (previously long term members as BBM) have folded and that Luddington have again gone after barely one season back. Chaplains have gone back to Sunday football (and we at Scotter have resigned three of our former players).

To provide additional games, the three divisional cups have been put into group stages with teams playing each other twice and with successful teams going into semi finals.

Fixtures are on Mitoo

Where's the 'ignore this poster' button?

(This post was edited by colpic on Jul 7, 2014, 3:58 PM)

robgrillo
First Team Star

Jul 7, 2014, 4:15 PM

Post #2 of 9 (3340 views)
Shortcut
Re: [colpic] Scunthorpe and District Lge [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Westwoodside dropped out of the Doncaster Senior League during last season.

LATE TO THE GAME - The origins of soccer in Bradford. Available from www.bantamspast.net

ianh
First Team Star

Jul 7, 2014, 6:38 PM

Post #3 of 9 (3266 views)
Shortcut
Re: [colpic] Scunthorpe and District Lge [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I think Scunthonians were also relegated

colpic
Chelsea Transfer Target

Jul 7, 2014, 7:00 PM

Post #4 of 9 (3258 views)
Shortcut
Re: [ianh] Scunthorpe and District Lge [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
I think Scunthonians were also relegated

And thereby hangs a tale.....

Scunthonians have been one of the top sides in the area for a fair while and are a well respected club. A couple of years ago one of the local teams of numptys who appear then fold when they've won the two lower divisions or accrue too many fines - SJJ Fusion was their name at the time - became affiliated to Scunthonians and became their reserves. Effectively they operated as two separate teams. At the end of 2012-13, Scunthonians first team ended up in the relegation spots and the reserves ended up in the promotion spots so the league maintained the status quo, but internally, the squads changed places so the numptys were in division 1 and the original team in division 2.

Last season, surprise, surprise, the going in division 1 got tough and the numptys did what numptys do, they walked away. This situation has arisen before (BBM first team folded in March 2007 and the league made their reserves step up to division 1 to complete the fixtures and made the reserve team withdraw). This time league left the reserves in division 2 and scratched the first team from division 1, the complete opposite of the BBM ruling in 2007.

So the Scunthonians who are in division 2 this season are in effect last seasons Scunthonians Reserves and not a relegated team...

ianh
First Team Star

Jul 7, 2014, 7:07 PM

Post #5 of 9 (3256 views)
Shortcut

Cheers mate, was wondering saves me asking Paul Wink

colpic
Chelsea Transfer Target

Jul 7, 2014, 7:20 PM

Post #6 of 9 (3250 views)
Shortcut
Re: [ianh] Scunthorpe and District Lge [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Cheers mate, was wondering saves me asking Paul Wink

God knows what would happen if the three Crosby Colts teams who all run separate squads ever fall out or fold!

ianh
First Team Star

Jul 7, 2014, 7:35 PM

Post #7 of 9 (3240 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
God knows what would happen if the three Crosby Colts teams who all run separate squads ever fall out or fold!

Thought they might have tried their hand at the Lincolnshire League, what are the facilities at Foxhills like?

colpic
Chelsea Transfer Target

Jul 7, 2014, 7:54 PM

Post #8 of 9 (3219 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To

In Reply To

Thought they might have tried their hand at the Lincolnshire League, what are the facilities at Foxhills like?

The changing facilities are fairly basic and the two main pitches are usually covered in dogsh*t but there's actually a decent view westwards out over towards the Trent and it does actually feel like a proper ground. I think they are happy enough where they are. Roy Fenwick has just stepped down after 50 years as secretary and he has traditionally done all the work and held it all together so hopefully his successor(s) will keep things going.

I've discussed this with Paul before as he was keen to get more North Lincs teams into the fold. The problem that all Scunny league teams face in considering a move to the Lincs League is the cost of paying three officials and getting players who would be happy with the amount of travelling (and finding the money to pay their petrol). Scotter players were horrified a couple of years ago when I arranged a game at Pontefract Colls. It's only 40 minutes down the M62 yet you would have thought we were off to Mars. Skegness is 63 miles from my house, i.e. an hour and 40 minutes on Lincolnshire roads. So for a 1 30 ko for a cup tie in the depths of winter we would be leaving by 11am at the latest. Scunny is also a shift working town which adds to the problem. At the moment our longest trip is Swinefleet, about 40 minutes. Epworth and New Holland are a bit less.

It all sounds a bit lame but that's the reality of dealing with players in this day and age. I personally would have loved it when I was playing but that was a different world!

ianh
First Team Star

Jul 7, 2014, 8:23 PM

Post #9 of 9 (3198 views)
Shortcut

No not lame at all,
we all want to see people playing football, we would rather see a club play at a level where everybody is enjoying it and is sustainable than overstretch and if that means drop a level so be it

case in point last season, Heckington United had been with us for 3/4 seasons acheived Charter Standard, developed via grants, Sports & Social club were to do up the facilities. We found they were struggling, we encouraged them to join the Boston League or return to the Lincoln league rather than fold. but unfortunately......

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3