Home: All Other Football Interests: All other football:
Cote d'Ivoire, and all that b0ll0cks

cope1
Man City Transfer Target!

Jun 15, 2014, 9:39 AM

Post #1 of 24 (5424 views)
Shortcut
Cote d'Ivoire, and all that b0ll0cks Can't Post or Reply Privately

Apparently there is a FIFA directive saying commentators etc are supposed say 'Cote d'Ivoire' and not 'Ivory Coast'. Why? We aren't asked to say Espa˝a, Deutschland, Nihon, Italia, etc etc etc.

This seems to be a general trend. I say Niger as 'Nye-Jerr', but I've heard people calling it 'Nee-zhair', which is the French pronunciation. I can bet the French don't use English pronunciations when talking about former colonies in the Anglophone world...

Chris M
Reserve Team Sub

Jun 15, 2014, 12:12 PM

Team(s): Everton, Marine, Sheffield clubs generally

Post #2 of 24 (5345 views)
Shortcut
Re: [cope1] Cote d'Ivoire, and all that b0ll0cks [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

The Ivorian government decided in the mid-80s that Cote d'Ivoire should be the country's name without translation in all languages, and will officially refuse to acknowledge you if you call it Ivory Coast, while the Bundesrepublik Deutschland has no problem with you calling it (the Federal Republic of) Germany.

It's actually a fairly hilarious ongoing dispute at Wikipedia as to what the article title for the country should be.

zebedee
First Team Star

Jun 15, 2014, 12:18 PM

Team(s): Southport

Post #3 of 24 (5339 views)
Shortcut
Re: [cope1] Cote d'Ivoire, and all that b0ll0cks [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I think it's something to do with the original stretch of coast known as the ivory coast including parts of Ghana. Since the 1980s the government of the country has only recognised the French name with regards to diplomatic matters. Hence international organisations such as FIFA refer to the country as C˘te d'Ivoire. I don't know if this means that if a stadium announcer introduced "Ivory Coast" then the team would remain in the tunnel looking at each other and wondering who had just been introduced.

With regards to the Niger pronunciation, I think it is partly to avoid confusion with Nigeria.

jrev61

Jun 15, 2014, 12:51 PM

Team(s): None

Post #4 of 24 (5315 views)
Shortcut
Re: [zebedee] Cote d'Ivoire, and all that b0ll0cks [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

The ITV commentator explained that FIFA had told them to use 'Cote d'Ivoire', but the caption at the top of the screen was 'IVC' not the official abbreviation 'CIV'.
The German for Ivory Coast is 'Elefantbeinkuste' or something similar.
Incidentally what is the capital of Ivory Coast/Cote d'Ivoire?

jrev61

Richard Rundle

Jun 15, 2014, 1:14 PM

Post #5 of 24 (5300 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jrev61] Cote d'Ivoire, and all that b0ll0cks [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Yamoussoukro is political capital and administrative capital city of C˘te d'Ivoire, while the economic capital of the country is Abidjan

Richard Rundle

Jun 15, 2014, 1:15 PM

Post #6 of 24 (5299 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Richard Rundle] Cote d'Ivoire, and all that b0ll0cks [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

We didn't have a problem changing from the old English "Ceylon" to the local "Sri Lanka", so I don't see why we should have a problem with Cote D'Ivoire.

rainjar
First Team Star

Jun 15, 2014, 1:26 PM

Post #7 of 24 (5286 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Richard Rundle] Cote d'Ivoire, and all that b0ll0cks [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
We didn't have a problem changing from the old English "Ceylon" to the local "Sri Lanka", so I don't see why we should have a problem with Cote D'Ivoire.

A name change is somewhat different from specifying that the existing name should only be used in one language and no other.

Not that it should really matter.

Football Insights

jon b
First Team Star

Jun 15, 2014, 2:30 PM

Team(s): SUFC, SWFC etc

Post #8 of 24 (5257 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jrev61] Cote d'Ivoire, and all that b0ll0cks [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
The ITV commentator explained that FIFA had told them to use 'Cote d'Ivoire', but the caption at the top of the screen was 'IVC' not the official abbreviation 'CIV'.

Told them?! Excellent. Previously I'd have happily described them as Cote d'Ivoire but now it's definitely "Ivory Coast" for me Cool

Richard Rundle

Jun 15, 2014, 3:19 PM

Post #9 of 24 (5235 views)
Shortcut
Re: [rainjar] Cote d'Ivoire, and all that b0ll0cks [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

In Reply To

A name change is somewhat different from specifying that the existing name should only be used in one language and no other.

Not that it should really matter.

It wasn't a name change, it was just moving from an English (colonial) name to the existing name in the local language (or one of them anyway).

Bantam Cymraeg
Chelsea Transfer Target

Jun 15, 2014, 3:24 PM

Team(s): Bradford City

Post #10 of 24 (5234 views)
Shortcut

So in other words, it was a name change.

paulh66
Qatar World Cup bid member!

Jun 15, 2014, 3:31 PM

Team(s): Tranmere Rovers, South Liverpool (the South will rise again), Cammell Laird

Post #11 of 24 (5231 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Bantam Cymraeg] Cote d'Ivoire, and all that b0ll0cks [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Not sure I see the logic of merely changing from one colonial language to another.

windydcfc

Jun 15, 2014, 4:09 PM

Team(s): Derby County FC England Borussia M÷nchengladbach

Post #12 of 24 (5210 views)
Shortcut
Re: [paulh66] Cote d'Ivoire, and all that b0ll0cks [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Not sure I see the logic of merely changing from one colonial language to another.

I find this a bit odd as well! Especially when their neighbour, Burkina Faso's name was changed from Upper Volta, to it's current name. Which is a combination of two local languages. I know that it's new name is not a translation from English, so isn't the same. I've tried to find a site which translates Ivory Coast/Cote d'Ivoire to Anyi, the majority local language. But have struggled to do so.
My opinion of why they want to be called Cote d'Ivoire, is the fancophile nature of all French speaking nations.

(This post was edited by windydcfc on Jun 15, 2014, 5:16 PM)

cope1

Jun 15, 2014, 11:06 PM

Post #13 of 24 (5093 views)
Shortcut

Well trust you lot to muddy my clear, self-riteous thoughts! Interesting contributions.

I suppose what I find frustrating is the arrogance of a country demanding that people always say the name in their own language. Part of the 'feel' of the World Cup, for me, has always been seeing England in different languages. I love languages, but I don't refer to Paris as 'Paree' or Rome as 'Roma' when I'm speaking English.

cope1

Jun 15, 2014, 11:07 PM

Post #14 of 24 (5087 views)
Shortcut
Re: [paulh66] Cote d'Ivoire, and all that b0ll0cks [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

Well regardless of where the language came from, if the people there nowadays speak French then they're entitled to that as their parent language. However, expecting people of other languages to use French whenever they refer to that country is a bit much in my opinion.

windydcfc

Jun 15, 2014, 11:56 PM

Team(s): Derby County FC England Borussia M÷nchengladbach

Post #15 of 24 (5070 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To

In Reply To

Well regardless of where the language came from, if the people there nowadays speak French then they're entitled to that as their parent language. However, expecting people of other languages to use French whenever they refer to that country is a bit much in my opinion.

I'm not sure that most the people that live in "Cote d'Ivoire" actually speak French as a first language. I believe that, just like in India, where English is the lingua franca in a country of 20+ languages, except they use French. They've done this in what was formally part of French North West Africa. What has happened though is in the big cities of the former French colonies, to get better opportunities in life you need to speak French fluently. As we all know well, the French hate thinking their language is somehow inferior to English.

(This post was edited by windydcfc on Jun 16, 2014, 12:15 AM)

Sarumio

Jun 16, 2014, 8:33 AM

Team(s): Salisbury

Post #16 of 24 (5022 views)
Shortcut
Re: [windydcfc] Cote d'Ivoire, and all that b0ll0cks [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I believe the reason behind the name change was that the name Ivory Coast is so different in every language (with the two names of the nation being actual words) that they wanted to simplify it so that it was the same in every language. England or Norway or Benin for example are different in that they arent actual words in other languages.

Still a bit silly though

DavetheGlassboy
Chelsea Transfer Target

Jun 17, 2014, 10:33 PM

Team(s): Stourbridge FC, Warrington RLFC, Stourport HC

Post #17 of 24 (4791 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jon b] Cote d'Ivoire, and all that b0ll0cks [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

In Reply To

Told them?! Excellent. Previously I'd have happily described them as Cote d'Ivoire but now it's definitely "Ivory Coast" for me Cool

Same here. Will be "Ivory Coast" without exception from here on in.

Last new ground (842): Greenhill Recreation Centre - Greenhill v Anstey Town 20/8/19
Last game: Alvechurch Youth v Stourbridge Youth 22/8/19
Football seen in: England, Wales, Scotland, Italy, France, Germany, Denmark, Netherlands, Spain, Austria, Croatia, Jersey, Sweden, Switzerland, Republic of Ireland, United States of America, Ukraine, Montenegro, Estonia, San Marino, Slovenia, Northern Ireland, Malta, Lithuania, Russia, Belgium, Portugal

acmold

Jun 24, 2014, 2:55 PM

Post #18 of 24 (4479 views)
Shortcut
Re: [DavetheGlassboy] Cote d'Ivoire, and all that b0ll0cks [In reply to] Can't Post or

The lady continuity announcer on the Beeb has been calling them Ivory Coast today, or she did just before Bargain Hunt.

DavetheGlassboy
Chelsea Transfer Target

Jun 24, 2014, 6:02 PM

Team(s): Stourbridge FC, Warrington RLFC, Stourport HC

Post #19 of 24 (4442 views)
Shortcut
Re: [acmold] Cote d'Ivoire, and all that b0ll0cks [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

The BBC have been using "Ivory Coast" throughout the tournament.

Last new ground (842): Greenhill Recreation Centre - Greenhill v Anstey Town 20/8/19
Last game: Alvechurch Youth v Stourbridge Youth 22/8/19
Football seen in: England, Wales, Scotland, Italy, France, Germany, Denmark, Netherlands, Spain, Austria, Croatia, Jersey, Sweden, Switzerland, Republic of Ireland, United States of America, Ukraine, Montenegro, Estonia, San Marino, Slovenia, Northern Ireland, Malta, Lithuania, Russia, Belgium, Portugal

cope1

Jun 27, 2014, 1:12 PM

Post #20 of 24 (4203 views)
Shortcut
Re: [DavetheGlassboy] Cote d'Ivoire, and all that b0ll0cks [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

In Reply To

In Reply To

Same here. Will be "Ivory Coast" without exception from here on in.

I told my friend about this. She has now started calling them 'Cote d'Ivoire' all the time just to annoy me. Crazy

AndyE
First Team Star

Jun 27, 2014, 5:41 PM

Team(s): Chatham Town

Post #21 of 24 (4156 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
I love languages, but I don't refer to Paris as 'Paree' or Rome as 'Roma' when I'm speaking English.

Although you probably do refer to the ferry port opposite Dover as "Callay".

Calais, Maine, in the US of A is pronounced like "Callus".

Lars
Reserve Team Star

Jul 6, 2014, 11:30 PM

Team(s): Yeovil, Kettering

Post #22 of 24 (3849 views)
Shortcut
Re: [AndyE] Cote d'Ivoire, and all that b0ll0cks [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Our commentators use the Swedish word "Elfenbenskusten", which in English translates to "(the) Ivory coast". If we would translate from French instead, we would probably say "Elfenbenskusten" in that case too.

non-league fan
Banned

Jul 13, 2014, 12:15 AM

Team(s): Oxford United, also groundhopper

Post #23 of 24 (3681 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Lars] Cote d'Ivoire, and all that b0ll0cks [In reply to] Can't Post or

When the Netherlands played Brazil in the 3rd/4th place match, ITV described the Dutch as 'Holland' (which, strictly speaking, is inaccurate) in the top left hand corner of the screen.
I can't remember though if the BBC made a similar mistake earlier with the matches involving the Dutch that they were televising.

buncranaboy
Qatar World Cup bid member!

Jul 13, 2014, 7:30 PM

Team(s): Barnstoneworth United; Bostock Stanley

Post #24 of 24 (3596 views)
Shortcut
Re: [non-league fan] Cote d'Ivoire, and all that b0ll0cks [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
When the Netherlands played Brazil in the 3rd/4th place match, ITV described the Dutch as 'Holland' (which, strictly speaking, is inaccurate) in the top left hand corner of the screen.
I can't remember though if the BBC made a similar mistake earlier with the matches involving the Dutch that they were televising.

I'd have a severe word with all those Dutch fans who sing "Hup Holland Hup" as they're clearly supporting the wrong entity Cool

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3