First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

garethwrexy
Man City Transfer Target!

Jul 6, 2014, 8:56 PM

Team(s): wrexham and dulwich

Post #76 of 85 (1645 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Isaac] pubs and live football [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I wont watch world cup final next sunday in pub, as I will have work Monday morning so need clear head !

wrexham fc fa trophy winners 2013 !

kirby knitters
Qatar World Cup bid member!

Jul 6, 2014, 9:10 PM

Team(s): Hinckley United FC.

Post #77 of 85 (1638 views)
Shortcut
Re: [garethwrexy] pubs and live football [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
I wont watch world cup final next sunday in pub, as I will have work Monday morning so need clear head !

Just take your time on the sauce thenSly

Isaac
Man City Transfer Target!

Jul 7, 2014, 9:58 AM

Team(s): ABMU

Post #78 of 85 (1600 views)
Shortcut
Re: [garethwrexy] pubs and live football [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

Don't they do non alcoholic drinks?

kirby knitters

Jul 7, 2014, 10:50 AM

Team(s): Hinckley United FC.

Post #79 of 85 (1592 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Isaac] pubs and live football [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Maybe he is like lots of people (myself included)who do not like sitting in a pub drinking pop.

oxpete
Chelsea Transfer Target

Jun 5, 2018, 11:51 PM

Team(s): Pompey

Post #80 of 85 (1272 views)
Shortcut
Re: [kirby knitters] pubs and live football [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I don't normally watch football on telly in the pub, but am meeting up with a mate in London on Friday 15th to watch all of that day's three matches down the boozer (Egypt v. Uruguay, Morocco v. Iran and Spain v. Portugal).

Can anyone please recommend me some decent pubs that both show the football AND stock a decent range of real ale?

The best I can think of is The Hole In The Wall near Waterloo Station, but I'm sure there must be others.

paulh66

Jun 6, 2018, 12:29 AM

Team(s): Tranmere Rovers, South Liverpool (the South will rise again), Cammell Laird

Post #81 of 85 (1260 views)
Shortcut
Re: [oxpete] pubs and live football [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Haven't been for about four years but Mabel's Tavern, near to Kings Cross, was always a favourite for watching the footy with a few good pints when I (very briefly) lived in the area. Had a reasonable, though not particularly exotic, range of half a dozen or so cask offerings. I see it's still in the GBG.

oxpete
Chelsea Transfer Target

Jun 6, 2018, 1:31 AM

Post #82 of 85 (1247 views)
Shortcut
Re: [paulh66] pubs and live football [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Haven't been for about four years but Mabel's Tavern, near to Kings Cross, was always a favourite for watching the footy with a few good pints when I (very briefly) lived in the area. Had a reasonable, though not particularly exotic, range of half a dozen or so cask offerings. I see it's still in the GBG.

Thanks for that, Paulh66.

Funnily enough, I was in Mabel's Tavern just a month ago - I had a pint there while on my way out to North Greenford United FC (my final match of the season). Doesn't sound as if it is any different than it was when you were last there.

It's a Shepherd's Neame pub (whose beers I quite like) and they had a decent enough range that day. And they do food too (which'll please my mate - The Hole In The Wall might just be a little on the gritty side for him).

oxpete
Chelsea Transfer Target

Jun 7, 2018, 9:23 PM

Post #83 of 85 (1095 views)
Shortcut

I've remembered another pub in central London that I enjoyed watching football in. It is...

De Hems
11 Macclesfield Street
Soho
London

http://www.dehemspub.co.uk

...a Dutch bar, selling a wide range of Dutch beer, gin and Edam(!), on top of its history as a meeting place for exiled Dutch citizens during both World Wars.

Back in June 2010, I was the very final person in the queue allowed in for the televised Netherlands v. Denmark World Cup match, before the team of bouncers slammed the doors shut on the huge orange throng outside still trying to get in. Even though I was cheering for Denmark (some distant roots on my mum's side of the family), I was still encouraged to take a glug from an orange plastic clog full of gin that was being passed around the crowd.

A good (though admittedly not cheap) place to go when it's not quite so crowded. Probably not a problem the Dutch will have at this year's World Cup...

oxpete
Chelsea Transfer Target

Jun 14, 2018, 9:10 PM

Post #84 of 85 (946 views)
Shortcut

The website 'Classic Football Shirts' is showing televised matches at...

The BOX
4-6 Ram Place
Hackney
London
E9 6LT

...as well as hosting a pop-up shop of old football shirts for sale, running from Thursday 14th June to Sunday 24th June, from noon to 9.30pm.

Entry is free, though spaces are limited, so they're suggesting that people book spaces on their website. I might well pop along tomorrow for the packed-to-the-rafters experience that will be Morocco v. Iran.

oxpete
Chelsea Transfer Target

Jun 17, 2018, 7:16 PM

Post #85 of 85 (866 views)
Shortcut
Re: [paulh66] pubs and live football [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

A good day was had on Friday, watching football on the telly in different pubs around London with a Nottingham Forest-supporting mate. By the end of the night, it did have a rather draining effect on me, as I had actually gone thirty whole days without alcohol (due to the oodles of overtime up for grabs at work just lately).

The tick-list was:

Mabel's Tavern, Mableton Place, near Euston Station, where we drank Shepherd Neame bottled IPA with chickpea, sweet potato and spinach curry, while watching the first half of Egypt v. Uruguay.

Doric Arch, outside Euston Station, drinking Titanic Plum Porter while watching the second half of Egypt v. Uruguay.

The BOX, in Hackney, where the Classic Football Shirts website have set up a pop-up shop and bar for the duration of the group stage of the World Cup. No food here, but they had an ale on from Maregade Brewery (brewed in the cellar of the Cock Tavern, near Hackney Central railway station). I also bought a cheap Denmark shirt while we were there watching the first half of Morocco v. Iran.

The Cock Tavern, Mare Street, Hackney, for more Maregade ale and the second half of Morocco v. Iran.

Pembury Tavern, Amhurst Road, Hackney - no TV here, so we used this for a little recovery time before the 7pm match. This is a properly lovely pub, run by good friendly people and with a whole host of fine ales on tap.

And we finished off at The Star By Hackney Downs, Queensdown Road, Hackney, for a raucous finish to the day as a packed house watched the brilliant Portugal v. Spain match.

Back home just after midnight.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3