Non League Matters - The Continuation of Tonys english Football Site 

Main Index MAIN
INDEX
Search Posts SEARCH
IN

Home: Non Football Related: General Chat:
UK's busiest and quietest railway stations

First page Previous page 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 Next page Last page  View All

DonQuixote
Chelsea Transfer Target

Mar 14, 2019, 3:42 PM

Team(s): Romford, Everton, @BrentwoodSunLge

Post #326 of 328 (964 views)
Shortcut
Re: [oxpete] UK's busiest and quietest railway stations [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

He's doing the 'least used' tube stations now building up to
the 'least of the least' which is probably Roding Valley on
the Central Line.

It [RV] seems busy compared to the like of Blake Hall
and North Weald on the old Ongar branch - both were in the
arse end of nowhere.

There are some odd dudes that follow GM around...bring back
his bird - La Pipe - I say. Cheeky grin too Tongue

FA Vase semi programme wanted: 2001 Taunton v Clitheroe.

FA Trophy programmes wanted: 1969-70 Any round from first season. Have many but plenty of gaps still to fill.

Tykeoldboy
Chelsea Transfer Target

Mar 14, 2019, 4:07 PM

Team(s): Doncaster Rovers, Everton, Mablethorpe

Post #327 of 328 (952 views)
Shortcut
Re: [DonQuixote] UK's busiest and quietest railway stations [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
He's doing the 'least used' tube stations now building up to
the 'least of the least' which is probably Roding Valley on
the Central Line.

It [RV] seems busy compared to the like of Blake Hall
and North Weald on the old Ongar branch - both were in the
arse end of nowhere.

There are some odd dudes that follow GM around...bring back
his bird - La Pipe - I say. Cheeky grin too Tongue

You'll see more of her next month when they start their "All the Stations - Ireland" tour

oxpete
Chelsea Transfer Target

Apr 26, 2019, 9:47 PM

Team(s): Pompey

Post #328 of 328 (552 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Ropemaker] UK's busiest and quietest railway stations [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

In Reply To
Out of all the small stations mentioned on this thread, how many are within walking distance of football grounds? (Dorking West is the only obvious one I can think of, but that's because I live in the south.)

Dorking West is within walking distance of Dorking's ground at Meadowbank.

I used Dorking West railway station on Easter Monday, after watching the Dorking Wanderers v. Bognor Regis Town match at Meadowbank. It's about a ten minute or so walk from the football ground.

The station has about a dozen services each way each day (heading east to Dorking Deepdene/Reigate/Redhill, and west to Guildford/Reading).

The strange thing is that as recently as 2011/2012 (when this thread first started), Dorking West was named as the second-least used railway station on the British network, while now it sits at a modest 1912th out of 2560 stations. If I've read them correctly, the (selected) figures for entries/exits are...

2010/11 ... 22
2011/12 ... 16
2013/14 ... 56,948
2016/17 ... 55,995
2017/18 ... 62,072

I'm going to presume that this is to do with the way the passenger figures are counted (and not Wanderers' storming charge to the Isthmian title!)

Despite specifically asking for a ticket to Dorking West while buying a ticket at Guildford station, the ticket I got stated 'Dorking Stations', taking me on this trip through to the busier Dorking Deepdene station one stop further east. I could also have used the same ticket to go to Dorking station via Leatherhead (on the third-rail electrified line to Horsham).

As Dorking West is an unmanned station and does not have a ticket machine (with passengers told to buy a ticket on the train - GWR, who are responsible for Dorking West, seem to be one of the last train operators who seem to be fairly okay with people buying tickets once on their train, whichever station you've got on at), I'm guessing that the station is still under-represented by these figures. Even at 6.45pm on a Bank Holiday evening, I was one of five people getting on at Dorking West.

First page Previous page 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 Next page Last page  View All

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3