Non League Matters - The Continuation of Tonys english Football Site 

Main Index MAIN
INDEX
Search Posts SEARCH
IN

Home: Non Football Related: General Chat:
UK's busiest and quietest railway stations

First page Previous page 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 Next page Last page  View All

Mr. T
Chelsea Transfer Target

May 30, 2018, 10:44 PM

Post #301 of 319 (3854 views)
Shortcut
Re: [oxpete] UK's busiest and quietest railway stations [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Personally, I quite like Coventry railway station, but hey-ho.

But have you ever had to wait more than 10 minutes for a connection?!

oxpete
Chelsea Transfer Target

Jun 1, 2018, 6:07 AM

Team(s): Pompey

Post #302 of 319 (3756 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Mr. T] UK's busiest and quietest railway stations [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

In Reply To
Personally, I quite like Coventry railway station, but hey-ho.

But have you ever had to wait more than 10 minutes for a connection?!

That may well explain it! Wink

Personally, my least favourite railway stations would include:

Oxford, which is hideous for all the reasons mentioned previously.
Southampton, which is such a slog from any good pubs/the city centre/any shops that aren't Toys'R'Us/the Isle Of Wight ferry.
Cardiff Central, where the platforms seem so exposed to the weather, and I usually end up pacing up and down while waiting for a connection when travelling to Swansea.
Emsworth, which I remember as a child being a lovely peaceful semi-rural little halt, until they went and built the A27 by-pass right next to the eastbound platform about 1987.
Gatwick Airport, where I once had to spend a night sleeping on the floor when all the trains were held up by trees fallen on the line.
Bradford Interchange - I love the city of Bradford, but it really does deserve a better station than this for people arriving into the place.
Walsall, where you arrive into a shopping centre!
Swindon, which is such a disappointment for what is still a proud railway town. Reprieved slightly by the wide variety of trains that you can see passing through.
Acton Main Line - I once actually had to catch a train specifically to this station, back in 2003. Now whenever I pass through it I try and count the number of passengers waiting on the platforms. Fifteen years later, that figure still stands at zero.
Marlow - lovely town, but an insult of a station.

Armchair Libero
Youth Team Sub

Jun 1, 2018, 9:01 AM

Team(s): Wigan Athletic, Atherton Collieries

Post #303 of 319 (3729 views)
Shortcut
Re: [oxpete] UK's busiest and quietest railway stations [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

least favourite for me would be

Liverpool South Parkway - soulless warren
Tottenham Hale - incredibly busy and narrow
Pershore - more to do with the location and the fact that the Co-Op, your one hope of sustenance/entertainment, which can be seen from the platform, is actually 20 mins walk away because of access.
Kirkby - desolation
Smethwick Galton Bridge - interesting layout and a nice Thomas Telford to look at, but something completely depressing about it
Crewe
Ledbury - fine enough but the guy on the ticket booth is a complete pain.
Hag Fold - visit at your own risk
Patricroft - grim
Runcorn

favourites

Dewsbury
Glasgow Central
St. Pancras
Reading
Bristol Temple Meads
Birmingham New St.
Birmingham Moor St.
Great Malvern
Arnside
Hebden Bridge

Thecranewife
Junior Team Sub

Jun 1, 2018, 8:53 PM

Post #304 of 319 (3670 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Armchair Libero] UK's busiest and quietest railway stations [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I live 300yards from Shalford railway station, there’s about 3 trains an hour. I remember talking to a copper some years back who mentioned they had arrested a guy who had broken into a house accross the road from me and stolen a DVD player. He was arrested at Shalford station with The DVD player on his lap waiting for train that was due in 15minutes.

Ostrich
First Team Sub

Jun 1, 2018, 10:22 PM

Post #305 of 319 (3633 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Thecranewife] UK's busiest and quietest railway stations [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
I remember talking to a copper some years back who mentioned they had arrested a guy who had broken into a house accross the road from me and stolen a DVD player. He was arrested at Shalford station with The DVD player on his lap waiting for train that was due in 15minutes.

Hilarious! Cool

Not my most favourite stations:

Birmingham New Street - took a bit of getting used to when they revamped it, and signage left something to be desired; the first time I visited it, trying to access Platform 5, I somehow managed to pass through three seperate ticket barrier lines and finished up outside facing the Bill Ring!

Birmingham Five Ways - a long slog from the platforms up those staircases, only to reach to top and find no-one manning the ticket barriers (I was on a Centro pass that didn't operate them). Had to bellow to attract the attention of someone in the ticket office.

Exeter St Davids - evenings, you have to exit the barriers if you want any refreshments, and the only provider is, let's just say, not exactly the cheapest.

Salisbury - departure platforms possibly decided by rolling dice, so be ready for a last minute sprint once they decide which train's going where.

Woking - Platform 3 for the London stoppers, when I eventually discovered it after a considerable search, appeared to be in a different postcode .... Laugh

(This post was edited by Ostrich on Jun 1, 2018, 10:32 PM)

Mr. T
Chelsea Transfer Target

Jun 2, 2018, 12:04 PM

Post #306 of 319 (3548 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
Bradford Interchange - I love the city of Bradford, but it really does deserve a better station than this for people arriving into the place.

Here's picture of Bradford before both of its stations were relocated and reduced in size. The buffer stops of Exchange and Forster Square were little more than 300 yards apart and over the years there had been a number of suggestions that the stations be linked, although the drop of 70' between the former and the latter would have presented some difficulties. Whichever of the two had been chosen to be the main station would almost certainly have had high and low level platforms.

The last chance to build a surface link was in the 60s and 70s during urban redevelopment but it was obviously a low priority, especially with the state of the railways then. Interchange was opened in 1973, the line to Exchange being cut back by about 200 yards to the south of Bridge Street. Exchange was demolished shortly after. Forster Square was moved about 200 yards north in 1990. If you look very closely at the photo you'll see a bridge crossing the throat of Forster Square. The new station is built just to the north of that point (the bridge no longer exists).

There is still talk of linking the two routes but it would be very expensive.

http://www.disused-stations.org.uk/b/bradford_exchange/

Bantam Cymraeg
Chelsea Transfer Target

Jun 2, 2018, 1:00 PM

Team(s): Bradford City

Post #307 of 319 (3531 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Mr. T] UK's busiest and quietest railway stations [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Wonderful photo - thank you very much!

oxpete
Chelsea Transfer Target

Jun 2, 2018, 10:41 PM

Post #308 of 319 (3440 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Bantam Cymraeg] UK's busiest and quietest railway stations [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

This website...

http://www.railfuture.org.uk/New+stations

...lists information for all present plans for new railway stations as well as stations due to open soon.

At the moment, it lists...

Campaign targets:

Cambridge South (Addenbrooke's)
Edginswell
- in Devon, between Newton Abbott and Torquay/Paignton.
Soham
East Linton
Reston
Magor

...and the reopening of either Wedgwood or Barlaston in the West Midlands. Apparently, neither of these are technically closed, but the service has been provided by bus since 2003?

Coming soon:

Maghull North
Parkgate (Rotherham)
Reading Green Park
Marsh Barton
Worcestershire Parkway
Meridian Water
(to replace Angel Road in north London)
Kintore
Robroyston
Horden Peterlee
Warrington West
Bow Street (Aberystwyth)
Portway Parkway
Nine Elms
(on the new Northern Line extension)
Battersea Power Station (ditto)
Barking Riverside
Cardiff Parkway
Okehampton Parkway

Mr. T
Chelsea Transfer Target

Jun 3, 2018, 4:12 PM

Post #309 of 319 (3364 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Bantam Cymraeg] UK's busiest and quietest railway stations [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Wonderful photo - thank you very much!

You may have seen this before – and probably in better definition than this – Horton Park in the early/mid 60s. Bradford PA playing but probably not YCC next door – you'd think there'd be more there if the firsts were playing.

At the bottom of picture can be seen the remains of Horton Park station, built for the park but closed in 1952.

Bantam Cymraeg
Chelsea Transfer Target

Jun 3, 2018, 5:36 PM

Team(s): Bradford City

Post #310 of 319 (3336 views)
Shortcut

I'm sure I've seen something similar, but many thanks anyway. I used to live around the corner from this ground, too late for the football club, but I saw Yorkshire play cricket there once. The football terracing was still in situ, but the structures had gone. I climbed over the wall once and stood on the kop. I was also a regular in the cricket club on a Friday night, but that's another story.....

The remains of the station were there, now covered by an enormous mosque. It was possible to walk through the ex-railway tunnel from Horton Park to Manchester Road. I did it once, quite an unnerving experience. Not sure it's possible any more. Ah, the memories...

oxpete
Chelsea Transfer Target

Jun 15, 2018, 2:26 AM

Post #311 of 319 (3115 views)
Shortcut

A new railway station is due to open on Merseyside on Monday 18th June, at Maghull North on the Liverpool Central-to-Ormskirk line...

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/...merseysides-14780634

Those wanting to tick it early, the first scheduled service is the Ormskirk to Liverpool train, leaving Maghull North at 05:58 on Monday morning.

oxpete
Chelsea Transfer Target

Jul 28, 2018, 11:56 PM

Post #312 of 319 (2825 views)
Shortcut

Ex-District Line underground trains are to be run on the Bletchley-to-Bedford line...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/...nderground-carriages

...starting in December. Apparently, passenger numbers on the line are growing fast. TheWavendonian lives near this line, so I might have a nose around next time I'm over his way.

Hopefully, it is also a small step closer to the day when the Oxford-Bletchley-Bedford-Cambridge line re-opens in its entirety.

kirby knitters
Qatar World Cup bid member!

Jul 29, 2018, 9:17 AM

Team(s): Hinckley United FC.

Post #313 of 319 (2801 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
Ex-District Line underground trains are to be run on the Bletchley-to-Bedford line...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/...nderground-carriages

...starting in December. Apparently, passenger numbers on the line are growing fast. TheWavendonian lives near this line, so I might have a nose around next time I'm over his way.

Hopefully, it is also a small step closer to the day when the Oxford-Bletchley-Bedford-Cambridge line re-opens in its entirety.
-----
-----
They tested one of these last year on the Nuneaton-Coventry line with a view to rolling them out on the route permanently but it caught fire and that was supposed to be the end of them.

oxpete
Chelsea Transfer Target

Jul 29, 2018, 8:01 PM

Post #314 of 319 (2738 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To

And in today's Oxford Mail...

http://www.oxfordmail.co.uk/...uld-start-next-year/

...an update on the progress being made on the Bicester-to-Bletchley phase of the line. Work will apparently start in 2019, and they reckon it'll be complete by 2024. Five years to do eighteen miles of track seems a bit on the slow side to me, but I realise that there are an awful lot of projects being carried out on the railways at the moment. Myself and TheWavendonian will be mighty pleased when it's finished...

Mr. T
Chelsea Transfer Target

Jul 29, 2018, 8:47 PM

Post #315 of 319 (2721 views)
Shortcut

The Bedford to Cambridge section will be a challenge. Apart from the difficulty of providing a sensible interchange with the MML at Bedford, large stretches of the trackbed have been built on in Sandy and Potton, 2½ miles near Cambridge are occupied by the university's radio telescope facility and the guided busway has been built on the last 2 miles through Trumpington.

One suggestion has been to restore only the Bedford-Sandy stretch, send trains down the ECML to Hitchin and then up the Cambridge line via Royston. That would add 15 miles to the journey but wouldn't require the building of 20 miles of new railway between Sandy and Cambridge.

oxpete
Chelsea Transfer Target

Jul 29, 2018, 9:17 PM

Post #316 of 319 (2707 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
The Bedford to Cambridge section will be a challenge. Apart from the difficulty of providing a sensible interchange with the MML at Bedford, large stretches of the trackbed have been built on in Sandy and Potton, 2½ miles near Cambridge are occupied by the university's radio telescope facility and the guided busway has been built on the last 2 miles through Trumpington.

One suggestion has been to restore only the Bedford-Sandy stretch, send trains down the ECML to Hitchin and then up the Cambridge line via Royston. That would add 15 miles to the journey but wouldn't require the building of 20 miles of new railway between Sandy and Cambridge.

I've been told that, in France, the govenment does not allow buildings to be built upon disused railway track-beds. The land can only be used for cycle paths, roads and suchlike.

There must be plenty of examples in this country where a line closed in the sixties now cannot be re-opened because of building work that has taken place since. This is certainly the case in several locations on the Isle Of Wight, especially on the Shanklin-Ventnor stretch.

oxpete
Chelsea Transfer Target

Aug 12, 2018, 9:18 PM

Post #317 of 319 (2526 views)
Shortcut

Still at the early planning stage, but there are hopes of re-opening the railway line to St.Andrews...

https://www.thecourier.co.uk/...h-take-leap-forward/

...including new stations at Newburgh and Oudenarde.

Mr. T
Chelsea Transfer Target

Aug 13, 2018, 12:49 PM

Post #318 of 319 (2471 views)
Shortcut

These are actually two separate projects. The proposed stations at Bridge of Earn (for Oudenarde) and Newburgh are on the existing Perth-Edinburgh route. The St. Andrews campaign was set up as long ago as 1989, with options varying from a reinstatement of the original route (the usual restrictions apply!) to an entirely new railway with junctions facing both north and south on the Dundee-Edinburgh line (the original junction at Leuchars was north-facing).

Richard Rundle
Man City Transfer Target!

Dec 11, 2018, 10:26 PM

Post #319 of 319 (201 views)
Shortcut

A bit on the BBC News website today about the latest figures, centred around the fact that Sugar Loaf is no longer the least-used station in Wales.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-46209535

First page Previous page 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 Next page Last page  View All

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3