IN

Home: Non League Football Information: History:
Update on digital version of papers held at Colindale Library

London Harrier
First Team Star

Jan 29, 2014, 3:01 PM

Post #1 of 21 (39739 views)
Shortcut
Update on digital version of papers held at Colindale Library Can't Post or Reply Privately

I spoke to the British Library today and can offer the following update for anyone interested.
  1. Original newspaper copies are still being transferred to Boston Spa. These are not currently available for public access.
  2. These copies are still in the process of being digitised. The public will be able to search digital archives later in the year from St Pancras (and possibly other locations, though I didn't ask)
  3. Some of the more fragile newspapers may not be salvagable.

Not sure if this is already widely known, but thought I would share it.

]

(This post was edited by London Harrier on Jan 29, 2014, 3:03 PM)

HibeeJibee
Reserve Team Star

Jan 29, 2014, 8:57 PM

Team(s): Berwick Rangers, Hibernian, Scotland

Post #2 of 21 (39672 views)
Shortcut
Re: [London Harrier] Update on digital version of papers held at Colindale Library [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Hopefully they will allow access to the digital papers from 'orbital' locations e.g. other national libraries in the British Isles and so on... It's a long way to Boston Spa or St Pancras from a lot of places in these islands, afterall.

Some of the more fragile newspapers may not be salvagable.

Can you elaborate any on exactly what that means: and what the implication is? Are these papers which were closed to public access anyway, which it was hoped to make available by digitisation, but they're in too bad a state even to be scanned? In that case I suppose we haven't lost anything we didn't already have. However, if they are copies which could previously have been consulted but the move means they've now gone 'off-limits', that would be rather disappointing. I'm guessing it's the former.

(This post was edited by HibeeJibee on Jan 29, 2014, 8:57 PM)

E&E Fred
Youth Team Regular

Jan 30, 2014, 11:48 AM

Team(s): Epsom & Ewell FC

Post #3 of 21 (39617 views)
Shortcut
Re: [HibeeJibee] Update on digital version of papers held at Colindale Library [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

If they are digitised then presumably anyone can access them online after payment of their subscription, which last year was about £80 I recall.

Last Ground (574) - The New Warren, Hayes and Yeading FC - 6th February 2018
Last Cup won - Combined Counties League Cup - 2013
Twitter - @EandERich

taylov
Junior Team Star

Jan 30, 2014, 1:52 PM

Team(s): Eastleigh; ex Malden Town, Kingstonian; Luton T ; Aldershot; Kings Langley

Post #4 of 21 (39593 views)
Shortcut
Re: [E&E Fred] Update on digital version of papers held at Colindale Library [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
If they are digitised then presumably anyone can access them online after payment of their subscription, which last year was about £80 I recall.

Stlll is £80 to get a year's unlimited access to the British Newspaper Archive (BNA) on line. This is a commercial venture by Brightsolid in conjunction with the British Library much as Ancestry is with the National Archives at Kew. Both cost you a similar amount but you can use the database free if you physically go to one of the British Library reading rooms (or to Kew).

The downside for footy fans is that the pre-1900 papers are being done first and then the more popular post-1900 ones. The BNA is being very coy about the % currently available compared with the experience at Colindale. What is clear from searching on the BNA site is that we may have a very long wait for post-1930 local papers to go on line. I'm not sure about their resources but Brightsolid have now taken on another major project with the Imperial War Museum to put all the WW1 War Diaries on line which seems to have priority over other projects.

What is not clear is how many of the hard copy original newspapers that we could read at Colindale, if any, will be available at Boston Spa or whether we will only be able to access the Brightsolid on-line copies.

My experiences at Kew do not fill me with confidence. One can no longer access the original papers if they have been scanned on to Ancestry. Unfortunately the quality of many scanned papers on Ancestry were poor - out of focus, partly missing pages and mis-cataloging were commonplace to begin with. Things have improved but once a poorly scanned item is on the database it's been a real issue to get them re-scanned.

When one reads cheerful predictions suggesting that the bulk of the work will be done by the end of 2014, I do wonder such what % of papers will be on-line by then.

(This post was edited by taylov on Jan 30, 2014, 1:54 PM)

John Treleven
Qatar World Cup bid member!

Jan 30, 2014, 3:00 PM

Team(s):

Post #5 of 21 (39574 views)
Shortcut
Re: [taylov] Update on digital version of papers held at Colindale Library [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Brightsolid indexed the 1911 census with disastrous results.

They outsourced the reading and typing to the Philippines!

Until 1911 each area enumerator wrote up their "area" returns by hand so you get familiar with a style.

In 1911 each household did their own and they were not re-written so making it even harder to decipher
especially if you are foreigner unfamiliar with names and terminology from a country half a world away.

Brightsolid responded by saying tests showed 98.5% of the "keying" was correct which from my
experience of the 1911 census is a classic case of lies, damn lies and statistics (much as I love them)

It is not much use when those errors are most commonly in the family name/surname field
which is what most searches would start with (and in most cases end with too - in frustration)

Goonerak
Youth Team Sub

Jan 30, 2014, 7:09 PM

Team(s): Royal Arsenal / Woolwich Arsenal

Post #6 of 21 (39544 views)
Shortcut
Re: [John Treleven] Update on digital version of papers held at Colindale Library [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

The OCRing of the text that Brightsolid has done on the BNA website also leaves a lot to be desired.

Oldeagle
Junior Team Star

Feb 17, 2014, 1:02 PM

Post #7 of 21 (39100 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Goonerak] Update on digital version of papers held at Colindale Library [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I suspect that it is now going to be extremely difficult to use the BNL for football club history research at any rate where most of your research falls into the 20th century. When compiling the match records of a single club I spent a long period plodding through one or two newspapers for the area concerned, which meant that in a typical visit to Colindale I would need access to only two or three bound volumes in a day. Invariably however I would be left with gaps in most seasons where I needed to consult the "opposition" newspaper for individual match stats such as teams, scorers, attendances or even, very occasionally, results. This meant that on a day's visit to Colindale I might need to look at a dozen or more volumes. This was not exactly easy even there because one could wait a long time for each new volume to be produced. If , in the new regime, such volumes haven't yet been digitised, and one needs to order each volume from Boston Spa, it is easy to foresee enormous delays and also wasted time, because you aren't always sure exactly what paper you need for a particular area. I can't see resources being available to digitise all local papers for the 20th century any time soon-it will probably see me out at least!

London Harrier
First Team Star

Mar 11, 2014, 1:30 PM

Post #8 of 21 (38444 views)
Shortcut
Re: [HibeeJibee] Update on digital version of papers held at Colindale Library [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Hopefully they will allow access to the digital papers from 'orbital' locations e.g. other national libraries in the British Isles and so on... It's a long way to Boston Spa or St Pancras from a lot of places in these islands, afterall.

Some of the more fragile newspapers may not be salvagable.

Can you elaborate any on exactly what that means: and what the implication is? Are these papers which were closed to public access anyway, which it was hoped to make available by digitisation, but they're in too bad a state even to be scanned? In that case I suppose we haven't lost anything we didn't already have. However, if they are copies which could previously have been consulted but the move means they've now gone 'off-limits', that would be rather disappointing. I'm guessing it's the former.

Apologies, only just seen this.

I didnít really ask for further details. Taking an educated guess, I would assume it to mean those papers which are on the verge of turning to dust will be almost impossible to digitise or take source copy from.

Of course, this is just an assumption.

]

London Harrier
First Team Star

Mar 17, 2014, 10:00 PM

Post #9 of 21 (38219 views)
Shortcut
Re: [John Treleven] Update on digital version of papers held at Colindale Library [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Another update (via email) from the library.

A new reading room will open at St.Pancras on April 7th when you may then access material from Colindale which is held on microfilm.

Periodicals are already available to order again. The majority of which have been moved to Boston Spa and are available to order into any St Pancras Reading Room within 48 hours.
A small number of high-use periodicals are on-site and can be requested to view into any St Pancras Reading Room within 70 minutes.

You may order these journals online in advance of your visit using Explore the British Library which has improved information about the titles and volumes held by the Library.

ĎExplore' The British Library Catalogue lets you search, view and order items from our collection. Please see the link http://tinyurl.com/6bpygmf

You can also track the progress of your requests via 'My Reading Room Requests'

Print newspapers will become available again in autumn 2014, where there are no microfilm or digital alternatives available in our collection. These can be viewed either at St.Pancras or the Boston Spa reading room.

Regarding digitalised material you may access the British Newspaper Archive (BNA) within the reading room for free or remotely for a subscription fee; All digitalised titles can be searched using keywords and date ranges.

New content will continue to be added to the BNA during the closure period. http://www.britishnewspaperarchive.co.uk/

UK and international newspaper electronic resources;

The British Library subscribes to a range of newspaper electronic resources. Key ones include The Times 1785-1985, the Daily Mail 1896-2004, the Daily Mirror 1903 to date, The Guardian 1821-2003, the Illustrated London News 1842-2003, the New York Times 1851-2006, the Times of India 1838-2003, the Financial Times 1888-2009, The Scotsman 1817-1950, The Irish Times 1859-2008 and the 17th and 18th century Burney collection . For a full list, please see www.bl.uk/eresources/newspapers/colindale2.html

Readex - Historical newspaper collections Ė free to BL reader pass holders
Provides access to these historical newspaper collections: Early American Newspapers Series I , Foreign Broadcast Information Service Daily Reports 1974-1996, World Newspaper Archive: African Newspapers 1800-1922, Latin American Newspapers Series I 1805-1922.
https://eresources.remote.bl.uk:2443/login

Details of the future service plans you may check our web page at www.bl.uk/newspaper-moves

]

Oldeagle
Junior Team Star

Nov 12, 2014, 3:47 PM

Post #10 of 21 (34844 views)
Shortcut
Re: [London Harrier] Update on digital version of papers held at Colindale Library [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

As nothing has appeared on this thread lately, I thought I'd ask for people's experiences of using the BNA recently. The material available via the subscription service (the BNA site) is still very patchy, although it does seem to be added to regularly and I am lucky in that quite of lot of the material I am currently interested in is already online, so it's been worth my while to subscribe for a few months at least. However the regional and date coverage seems quite arbitrary and there doesn't seem to be any particular policy about what is added and when. The quality of some of the images isn't great either, though that may well reflect the state of the originals.
Also, it's hard to work out what is happening about access to the reading rooms-which was supposed to be happening "in the autumn". Is Boston Spa now up and running, and if so has anyone used it? Can you now have stuff sent down from there to St Pancras, and how does that work? I'd be interested in people's comments.

Blanc Mange
Youth Team Regular

Nov 13, 2014, 5:09 PM

Post #11 of 21 (34785 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Oldeagle] Update on digital version of papers held at Colindale Library [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

My subscription runs out in December and I've decided not to renew (I will dip into when there's enough info worth paying for) and here's a few reasons why
1.Coverage regarding the football years seems to be getting smaller and smaller
2.An obsession with Irish newspapers (Southern Ireland especially)
3.Regarding the date coverage its very random for example I'm quite interested in football around the Sheffield area and the info is very good up to 1920 and then nothing till 1950!
4.I know that the football is only a small thing in the amount of gerneral info on it but I know longer find it value for money which I mentioned in a survey they sent me.
At the end of the day it's a magnificent resource but it can't please everybody all of the time.

Lensmeister
Reserve Team Sub / Moderator

Nov 14, 2014, 7:23 AM

Team(s): Whitby Town, Croydon Rovers, Carshalton Athletic, Metropolitan League

Post #12 of 21 (34749 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Blanc Mange] Update on digital version of papers held at Colindale Library [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

They could have just refurbed Colindale instead of moving it to the back of beyond.

Colindale was a pleasure to go to but I fail to see how moving it away from the capital was a "benefit"

http://whitbytownhistory.blogspot.com/

Looking to compile stats for WHITBY TOWN, Croydon Rovers & Carshalton Athletic, Metropolitan League (ALL seasons). ALL info gratefully recieved.

Contact me detailshttp://nonleaguematters.co.uk/...orum.cgi?post=618255

Goonerak
Youth Team Sub

Nov 14, 2014, 9:47 AM

Post #13 of 21 (34728 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Oldeagle] Update on digital version of papers held at Colindale Library [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Bound volumes can now be ordered to be delivered to St Pancras. I popped in last week and noticed quite a few people reading them.

Only issue I have is that you can only order 10 items per day. Some days at Colindale I would easily get through double that.

pitch 63
First Team Star

Nov 14, 2014, 9:55 AM

Post #14 of 21 (34721 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Lensmeister] Update on digital version of papers held at Colindale Library [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Colindale was a pleasure to go to but I fail to see how moving it away from the capital was a "benefit"
I suspect that the Colindale site is worth a lot more money than the cost of a new purpose built site and was therefore the cheapest option rather than a refurbishment of an existing building. Also as it is being moved to a less accessible area, the library will require less staff to interface with visitors, better air conditioning [or whatever is needed] to stop original papers being destroyed by the ordinary air, etc., etc.

Oldeagle
Junior Team Star

Nov 15, 2014, 8:06 PM

Post #15 of 21 (34610 views)
Shortcut
Re: [pitch 63] Update on digital version of papers held at Colindale Library [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Thanks for these updates folks. There is a section on the BNA site where you can request that particular papers/periods are added but how much notice would be taken of such requests is anyone's guess. I agree ten volumes a day might not be exactly generous for having stuff sent down to St Pancras but at least the service has started. As regards Colindale, I believe the lease was running out so refurbishment wasn't an option in the current climate. Boston Spa is obviously convenient for many people for whom Colindale wasn't!
It would be good if people would continue to post their experiences with the service on this thread.

Canary
Junior Team Star

Dec 23, 2014, 8:34 PM

Post #16 of 21 (33204 views)
Shortcut

As a regular at the BL, I can tell you that there is a workaround on the 10 items a day. Items ordered for a particular day are kept for three days. So if one orders 10 for say Tuesday and turns up on Wednesday, they get 10 + 10.

Goonerak
Youth Team Sub

Dec 23, 2014, 9:21 PM

Post #17 of 21 (33193 views)
Shortcut

I received an email from the British Library the other day saying that from 5 January 2015 you will be able to take photographs of hard-copy books and newspapers with your own camera.

Full details here:
http://www.bl.uk/reshelp/inrrooms/stp/copy/selfsrvcopy/selfservcopy.html
Scroll down to Self-service Photography.

richardbajor
Junior Team Sub

May 20, 2016, 8:07 PM

Post #18 of 21 (21366 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Goonerak] Update on digital version of papers held at Colindale Library [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Now, with the new digital microfilm readers they have recently added a function where you can email a selection of a page (like match report0 and send it to your home email address. Previously you could only print and pay for copies.

So along with the free digital camera photos this means there's nothing to stop anyone taking a report of every game they want for every game in their club's history for free!!! Really opens up the possibilities for many stattos who probably couldn't afford to take 50 reports a season at 25-50p a copy.

Goonerak
Youth Team Sub

May 20, 2016, 8:48 PM

Post #19 of 21 (21356 views)
Shortcut
Re: [richardbajor] Update on digital version of papers held at Colindale Library [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

This is fantastic news. Looks like I'll have to have 3 or 4 weeks off sick!

London Harrier
First Team Star

Jul 25, 2016, 1:50 PM

Post #20 of 21 (19122 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
As nothing has appeared on this thread lately, I thought I'd ask for people's experiences of using the BNA recently. The material available via the subscription service (the BNA site) is still very patchy, although it does seem to be added to regularly and I am lucky in that quite of lot of the material I am currently interested in is already online, so it's been worth my while to subscribe for a few months at least. However the regional and date coverage seems quite arbitrary and there doesn't seem to be any particular policy about what is added and when. The quality of some of the images isn't great either, though that may well reflect the state of the originals.

I subscribe to the British Newspaper Archive (BNA) for football research purposes. Itís good, but as you say, a bit patchy. The search returns for some smaller clubs are almost non-existent.

One question I do have: is the digital library archive different to, or part of, the BNA?

]

Oldeagle
Junior Team Star

Jul 25, 2016, 8:40 PM

Post #21 of 21 (19075 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To

In Reply To

I subscribe to the British Newspaper Archive (BNA) for football research purposes. Itís good, but as you say, a bit patchy. The search returns for some smaller clubs are almost non-existent.

One question I do have: is the digital library archive different to, or part of, the BNA?

The digital archive is part of the BNA , but only a small part. As commented above, it's difficult to see any logic in what they choose to digitise and at the rate they are going, I'm not still going to be around when they digitise the whole contents, if that ever happens. To see newspapers that aren't digitised you have to go along to st Pancras or Boston Spa and join up-it's free and not too complicated and fairly easy to find stuff in the catalogue. Also (unlike the old days at Colindate) you can photograph things for free on your phone, iPad etc.

In Reply To

The Soccerlinks Hit List

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3