Home: Non Football Related: Other Sports:
Aussie Rules

cope1
Man City Transfer Target!

Jan 20, 2014, 11:32 AM

Post #1 of 8 (1431 views)
Shortcut
Aussie Rules Can't Post or Reply Privately

I was in Australia over Christmas and New Year and took a huge interest in Aussie rules football - a game I had previously had absolutely no interest in. It was off season so I didn't get to see any but I wondered if anyone else on here has seen it live, or just has an interest.

Ropemaker

Jan 20, 2014, 1:00 PM

Team(s): Hailsham Town

Post #2 of 8 (1419 views)
Shortcut
Re: [cope1] Aussie Rules [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Saw Collingwood v Richmond at the MCG some years back. Haven't seen cricket there but a good second prize!

Don't follow it as much now it's on Murdoch.

Have seen a couple of games between AFL teams at the Oval. They were on Sundays as I recall.

There was one last year on a Saturday which I couldn't make for some reason!

Just because you're paranoid, it doesn't mean they're not out to get you.

cope1

Jan 20, 2014, 1:34 PM

Post #3 of 8 (1406 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Ropemaker] Aussie Rules [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Is that Kennington Oval (as pretty well every other stadium in Oz seems to be called 'The Oval')?

Ropemaker

Jan 20, 2014, 1:41 PM

Team(s): Hailsham Town

Post #4 of 8 (1402 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
Is that Kennington Oval (as pretty well every other stadium in Oz seems to be called 'The Oval')?

Yes, the one over here

Just because you're paranoid, it doesn't mean they're not out to get you.

kirby knitters
Qatar World Cup bid member!

Jan 20, 2014, 2:33 PM

Team(s): Hinckley United FC.

Post #5 of 8 (1396 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
Saw Collingwood v Richmond at the MCG some years back. Haven't seen cricket there but a good second prize!

Have seen a couple of games between AFL teams at the Oval. They were on Sundays as I recall.

Also saw Collingwood a few years back but against Hawthorne at the MCG but i couldnt stand it and left well earlyWinkthere were over 60k in the ground im glad i went because it was worth it for the atmosphere if nothing else but id not watch another AFL match

noprogs
First Team Star

Jan 20, 2014, 3:39 PM

Team(s):

Post #6 of 8 (1389 views)
Shortcut

I went to a pre-season tournament match in 1995, Adelaide Crows v West Coast.
Having ventured off-piste from the main (wine tasting) tour, this gave me quite a bit of notoriety and street cred.

oftenscore6
Chelsea Transfer Target

Mar 21, 2014, 11:10 PM

Team(s): FCUM, MUFC, Hammarby, St Pauli, Hawthorn (AFL)

Post #7 of 8 (845 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To

Erm, it's not on Murdoch, actually! It's on BT Sport and ESPN - has been on the latter since Setanta, who had it before.

The Oval games have generally been on Saturdays - the last one was enough of a success, it may well be repeated again this year.

-----------------------------------------------
Last new football ground (928) Hems Way Welwyn Garden City 0-1 Maccabi GB
With FC United: 134
On the agenda:
23/7 FC United v AFC Fylde
25/7 Chadderton v FC United XI

(This post was edited by oftenscore6 on Mar 21, 2014, 11:13 PM)

oftenscore6
Chelsea Transfer Target

Mar 22, 2014, 12:04 AM

Team(s): FCUM, MUFC, Hammarby, St Pauli, Hawthorn (AFL)

Post #8 of 8 (834 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
I was in Australia over Christmas and New Year and took a huge interest in Aussie rules football - a game I had previously had absolutely no interest in. It was off season so I didn't get to see any but I wondered if anyone else on here has seen it live, or just has an interest.

Am a big fan myself. I was a Sydney Swans season ticket holder when I lived there, although my team was always Hawthorn since watching on Channel 4 in the late 80s - not uncommon amongst AFL fans living away to have a season ticket at the local AFL team . Last season I went to Brisbane v Geelong, which turned out to be the 8th biggest comeback in AFL history, quite a game (from 92-40 down to win). Also saw Hawthorn at Aurora (Launceston) against Brisbane that trip - the only time that trip I didn't want the Lions to winWink. What I particularly like about Aussie Rules is the possibility that a game which one side has been well on top for 3/4 of, can be turned on it's head in the 4th quarter, because when a team starts winning the ball out of the middle and find gaps, points can be scored very quickly. The effect of tiredness and cumulative injuries makes this particularly possible in the 4th quarter. Feel free to ask any questions!

I've also helped out at games over here. There's a thriving league setup in England - a London; a Southern; and a Central and Northern league. It's played in summer, so often on rugby union venues rather than the Aussie tradition of cricket pitches. The London league plays 18 a side whilst the central & northern plays 9 a side, I'm not sure about the Southern league setup (which I think includes Wales) - there's also a Scottish league too. There's the Haggis Cup in April in Scotland and the Brit Cup in July, when teams from all those leagues play against each other. There's also internationals and a European title - Ireland, Denmark, Sweden and Croatia have good sides. I've also been to an Irish league game - they marked out an oval on a rugby union ground.

Thanks to YouView, it's much easier to record all the Australian games now on BTSport and ESPN - between 2 and 4 per weekend, from now until the end of September. I recommend picking the live times rather than replays, as ESPN have a habit of changing the times of those at very short notice.

-----------------------------------------------
Last new football ground (928) Hems Way Welwyn Garden City 0-1 Maccabi GB
With FC United: 134
On the agenda:
23/7 FC United v AFC Fylde
25/7 Chadderton v FC United XI

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3