Non League Matters - The Continuation of Tonys english Football Site 

Main Index MAIN
INDEX
Search Posts SEARCH
IN

THIS FORUM IS NOW READ ONLY - PLEASE HEAD OVER TO THE NEW FORUM TO REGISTER A NEW ACCOUNT - THANKS

Home: Non League Football Information: FA Competitions:
FA Vase 4th Round Draw?

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next page Last page  View All

Courtship Date
Junior Team Sub

Dec 9, 2013, 1:59 AM

Post #1 of 165 (13460 views)
Shortcut
FA Vase 4th Round Draw? Can't Post or Reply Privately

Just wondering, does anyone know how the FA will be regionalising this draw? 16 Northern and Southern, or 8 Northern, Midlands, South-East and West? It would make for a more interesting Last 16 if a couple more Northern League teams were knocked out in the 4th Round.

paulh66
Qatar World Cup bid member!

Dec 9, 2013, 2:37 AM

Team(s): Tranmere Rovers, South Liverpool (the South will rise again), Cammell Laird

Post #2 of 165 (13454 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Courtship Date] FA Vase 4th Round Draw? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Assuming it follows previous years' formats, the 4th round will be an open, national draw.

kirby knitters
Qatar World Cup bid member!

Dec 9, 2013, 9:36 AM

Team(s): Hinckley United FC.

Post #3 of 165 (13418 views)
Shortcut
Re: [paulh66] FA Vase 4th Round Draw? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Assuming it follows previous years' formats, the 4th round will be an open, national draw.

Yes it goes open from the 4th round.

MarkInGorleston
First Team Star

Dec 9, 2013, 10:06 AM

Post #4 of 165 (13403 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Courtship Date] FA Vase 4th Round Draw? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Just wondering, does anyone know how the FA will be regionalising this draw? 16 Northern and Southern, or 8 Northern, Midlands, South-East and West? It would make for a more interesting Last 16 if a couple more Northern League teams were knocked out in the 4th Round.

The Eastern Counties has 4 contenders at this stage, maybe time for the ECL to return to the top of the Vase tree.

I would laugh my head off if AFCW went down along with ColUwe and We**ham.

(This post was edited by MarkInGorleston on Dec 9, 2013, 10:06 AM)

Courtship Date
Junior Team Sub

Dec 9, 2013, 11:13 AM

Post #5 of 165 (13367 views)
Shortcut
Re: [kirby knitters] FA Vase 4th Round Draw? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

The rules of this season's Vase states that the 4th Round will also be drawn on a "geographical basis".

Isaac
Man City Transfer Target!

Dec 9, 2013, 11:43 AM

Team(s): ABMU

Post #6 of 165 (13339 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
The rules of this season's Vase states that the 4th Round will also be drawn on a "geographical basis".

The last 32 is not normally regionalised.

Anyway the draw should be done soon.

gcnc

Dec 9, 2013, 12:07 PM

Team(s): Newport County

Post #7 of 165 (13303 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Isaac] FA Vase 4th Round Draw [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Here 'tis

1 Newcastle Benfield v Congleton Town
2 Spennymoor Town v Causeway United
3 Ashington v Wisbech Town
4 AFC Rushden & Diamonds v St Andrews
5 Morpeth Town v Westfields
6 Dunston UTS v Coleshill Town
7 Brighouse / Whickham v West Auckland Town
8 Larkhall Athletic v Blackfield & Langley
9 Ampthill Town v Norwich United
10 Hallen v Alresford Town
11 Sholing v Hullbridge Sports
12 Moneyfields / Bitton AFC v Hadleigh United
13 Hanworth Villa v Eastbourne United
14 Hanwell Town v Ashford United
15 Brightlingsea Regent / Colney Hth v Bodmin Town
16 East Preston v Brantham Athletic

Ties to be played 18th January

Lots of nice home ties for the Northern League sides!

(This post was edited by gcnc on Dec 9, 2013, 12:17 PM)

HantsLondoner
First Team Star

Dec 9, 2013, 12:20 PM

Team(s): Hants/Middx/Sussex Non-League, Brentford, THFC, Eastleigh, SC Freiburg

Post #8 of 165 (13268 views)
Shortcut
Re: [gcnc] FA Vase 4th Round Draw [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Looks pretty regionalised to me.

Wonder whom Hadleigh United will be playing?

If you're going to/been to a Hampshire Premier League match, I'd really appreciate you filling in a questionnaire - available in the Groundhopping/General section, or just PM me for a copy. Thanks.

gcnc

Dec 9, 2013, 12:24 PM

Post #9 of 165 (13260 views)
Shortcut
Re: [HantsLondoner] FA Vase 4th Round Draw [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

Unless you're Westfields - 281 miles each way to Morpeth

Chapeltom
Chelsea Transfer Target

Dec 9, 2013, 12:26 PM

Team(s): Sheffield Wednesday (ENG), Uni Lions (Taiwan baseball)

Post #10 of 165 (13251 views)
Shortcut
Re: [HantsLondoner] FA Vase 4th Round Draw [In reply to] Can't Post or

Its clearly not a national draw then! There's no way it was an open draw.

All it does, postponing the national draw is ensure the northern sides, the strongest ones in the competition knock each other out. If there was 10 Northern teams v 10 Southern teams, I'd hazard a guess that 7+ Northern sides would go through. I hope it isn't a deliberate ploy to try get as many southern teams as far as possible Mad

Isaac

Dec 9, 2013, 12:32 PM

Post #11 of 165 (13233 views)
Shortcut
Re: [HantsLondoner] FA Vase 4th Round Draw [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

Clearly it is, too much of a coincidence that it just came out that way, this is surely a retrograde change?

Hadleigh United might get a bye if Bitton and Moneyfield are chucked out?

HantsLondoner
First Team Star

Dec 9, 2013, 12:35 PM

Post #12 of 165 (13221 views)
Shortcut

That would be a shame.

The Bath Chronicle report from today on the game is
interesting, and hints that Moneyfields supporters may have had an influence on the abandonment too:

http://www.bathchronicle.co.uk/Bitton-awaiting-FA-Vase-fate-mass-brawl-abandons/story-20298672-detail/story.html

If you're going to/been to a Hampshire Premier League match, I'd really appreciate you filling in a questionnaire - available in the Groundhopping/General section, or just PM me for a copy. Thanks.

(This post was edited by HantsLondoner on Dec 9, 2013, 12:35 PM)

Isaac

Dec 9, 2013, 12:36 PM

Post #13 of 165 (13218 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Chapeltom] FA Vase 4th Round Draw [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Its clearly not a national draw then! There's no way it was an open draw.

All it does, postponing the national draw is ensure the northern sides, the strongest ones in the competition knock each other out. If there was 10 Northern teams v 10 Southern teams, I'd hazard a guess that 7+ Northern sides would go through. I hope it isn't a deliberate ploy to try get as many southern teams as far as possible Mad

If that was the idea it hasn't worked, there is only one possible all Northern League tie and that depends on Whickham beating Brighouse

Chapeltom
Chelsea Transfer Target

Dec 9, 2013, 12:55 PM

Team(s): Sheffield Wednesday (ENG), Uni Lions (Taiwan baseball)

Post #14 of 165 (13190 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Isaac] FA Vase 4th Round Draw [In reply to] Can't Post or

I didn't specifically mentioned Northern League sides, I said Northern sides, now I known some are Midlands but for the purposes of regionalisation as classed as Northern teams.

ladderman

Dec 9, 2013, 12:59 PM

Team(s): Bishop's Stortford & Cambridge United

Post #15 of 165 (13183 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Chapeltom] FA Vase 4th Round Draw [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Maybe it's been regionalised to save clubs' money?

gcnc

Dec 9, 2013, 1:19 PM

Post #16 of 165 (13152 views)
Shortcut
Re: [ladderman] FA Vase 4th Round Draw [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

It's a mid-January date and in the last few seasons has been plagued by bad weather postponements. The attraction of the Vase is clubs from different Leagues playing each other. That doesn't necessitate a national draw at the level of the last 32.

AndyE
First Team Star

Dec 9, 2013, 1:30 PM

Team(s):

Post #17 of 165 (13132 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
Hadleigh United might get a bye if Bitton and Moneyfield are chucked out?

It would be a strange coincidence if so. When comparable events caused both Huntingdon and Sleaford to be ejected from the FA Cup, the beneficiaries of the bye were AFC Sudbury. South West Suffolk is clearly the place to be if you want the easiest possible progress.

AnotherGlassboy
First Team Sub

Dec 9, 2013, 1:53 PM

Team(s): Stourbridge FC

Post #18 of 165 (13103 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
It's a mid-January date and in the last few seasons has been plagued by bad weather postponements. The attraction of the Vase is clubs from different Leagues playing each other. That doesn't necessitate a national draw at the level of the last 32.

Absolutely right. It's clearly been done on a North/South split, which makes sense from all but a "romantic" point of view.

I haven't seen anything official, but I wonder if clubs have been canvassed about the geographical splits and the cost implications? On the other hand, is Bodmin to Brightlingsea (potentially) any better in reality than Bodmin to Spennymoor? Or Bodmin to just about anywhere, I suppose...?

Isaac

Dec 9, 2013, 2:04 PM

Post #19 of 165 (13086 views)
Shortcut
Re: [AnotherGlassboy] FA Vase 4th Round Draw [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Yet the Scottiish Amatuer Cup draw goes national from the last 256 albeit over a smaller area.

as5680
Reserve Team Regular

Dec 9, 2013, 2:07 PM

Team(s): Wolves, plus a general interest in non-league football in Devon & Cornwall.

Post #20 of 165 (13082 views)
Shortcut
Re: [AnotherGlassboy] FA Vase 4th Round Draw [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Absolutely right. It's clearly been done on a North/South split, which makes sense from all but a "romantic" point of view.

I haven't seen anything official, but I wonder if clubs have been canvassed about the geographical splits and the cost implications? On the other hand, is Bodmin to Brightlingsea (potentially) any better in reality than Bodmin to Spennymoor? Or Bodmin to just about anywhere, I suppose...?

Bodmin to Brightlingsea does work out slightly better (but only slightly!) than Bodmin to Spennymoor both in terms of mileage and journey time! However, it is certainly true that however you work the draw Bodmin are always going to be out on a limb geographically - especially once you take away the regionalisation of the earlier rounds.

This draw seems to be a half-way step between that regionalisation and a national draw - which I agree does make practical sense in so many ways.

MarkInGorleston
First Team Star

Dec 9, 2013, 2:10 PM

Post #21 of 165 (13077 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
Here 'tis

9 Ampthill Town v Norwich United
11 Sholing v Hullbridge Sports
12 Moneyfields / Bitton AFC v Hadleigh United
15 Brightlingsea Regent / Colney Hth v Bodmin Town
16 East Preston v Brantham Athletic

Ties to be played 18th January

Lots of nice home ties for the Northern League sides!

Anyone have an opinion on the five teams in my region, would they stand a chance of progression? (in bold)

I would laugh my head off if AFCW went down along with ColUwe and We**ham.

(This post was edited by MarkInGorleston on Dec 9, 2013, 2:15 PM)

Northernleaguer
Ballboy/girl

Dec 9, 2013, 2:20 PM

Post #22 of 165 (13065 views)
Shortcut

The northern league does have the monopoly on this trophy at the moment-but its swings and roundabouts. If you look at past winners-there was a time when for quite a few seasons northern league teams didn't win it, i'm sure a few seasons from now southern based teams will win it again, we are fortunate in the northeast that a lot of the teams are very strong this season, i have noticed over the past 2 to 3 seasons the quality of football has improved greatly, is this due to a large influx of academy players that have been let go by the likes of Newcastle, Sunderland, Middlesbrough and Harltepool?.If this is so then NL dominance may continue for a few seasons yet but i'm sure the south will rise again.
Or the powers that be may just say enough is enough and introduce regional finals so only the best of each region qualifies for the latter stages-if this happens then the Vase will be devalued as a major non league trophy and spoil it all together which would be sad.
You have to beat the best to be the best!!.
that's just my opinion, there again what do i know lol

HantsLondoner
First Team Star

Dec 9, 2013, 2:25 PM

Post #23 of 165 (13057 views)
Shortcut
Re: [MarkInGorleston] FA Vase 4th Round Draw [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

We've seen teams from your region so infrequently on the South Coast recently. it would be difficult to say!

For what it's worth my guess would be that Sholing would win and both Hadleigh and Brantham would have a fair chance of progressing (notwithstanding East Preston's results this season).

I'd fancy Bodmin to win too.

I'm pleased that this round has at least got some degree of difference in the geography (North/South).

(This post was edited by HantsLondoner on Dec 9, 2013, 4:30 PM)

Mister TwoU
First Team Star

Dec 9, 2013, 3:32 PM

Team(s): Malvern Town FC

Post #24 of 165 (13017 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Northernleaguer] FA Vase 4th Round Draw [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
The northern league does have the monopoly on this trophy at the moment-but its swings and roundabouts. If you look at past winners-there was a time when for quite a few seasons northern league teams didn't win it, i'm sure a few seasons from now southern based teams will win it again, we are fortunate in the northeast that a lot of the teams are very strong this season, i have noticed over the past 2 to 3 seasons the quality of football has improved greatly, is this due to a large influx of academy players that have been let go by the likes of Newcastle, Sunderland, Middlesbrough and Harltepool?.If this is so then NL dominance may continue for a few seasons yet but i'm sure the south will rise again.
Or the powers that be may just say enough is enough and introduce regional finals so only the best of each region qualifies for the latter stages-if this happens then the Vase will be devalued as a major non league trophy and spoil it all together which would be sad.
You have to beat the best to be the best!!.
that's just my opinion, there again what do i know lol

I've taken to seeing it this way...

There's a definite tendency for NE football folk to think of themselves somewhat apart from the other regions (which might be something handed-down in the viking genes?). Part of this is geophysical, viz:- Pennines/North Yorks. moors & Hadrian's Wall.

With just five professional teams traditionally serving the area, combined with this natural insularity, that's meant that players; who might if in other areas have been shoe-ins in the lesser professional echelons; instead habitually populated their more local amateur clubs.
Check Amateur Cup history for the influence of the NE in its latter rounds!

While nowadays it's much easier to access the rest of the country from the NE, those folks' habitual insularity is maintained and consequently the local talent-pool; which could easily provide enough players of sufficient calibre to sustain perhaps a dozen or so clubs at steps 3 & 4; is stuck plying trade no higher than step 5.

Consequently Northern League teams are a cut above the rest, in general. Until the start of 'The Pyramid' to slightly lesser or greater extent, it was similar for footballers in some other traditionally 'out of the way' regions suffering a dearth of professional clubs ~ East Anglia & The SW particularly (although, to this day, I don't understand why not in the Marcher Counties?).
Again, look to a Cup ~ nowadays the FA Vase. Note progress in earlier years of clubs from both East Anglia & The SW (a great deal of whom 'progressed' upward since, whereas most NE clubs forebore ~ leaving the Vase field now with a surfeit of strong NE competitors!).

And there you have it.

Professional cretin.

VP

Dec 9, 2013, 4:15 PM

Post #25 of 165 (12973 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To

In Reply To

Some clubs were complaining about the draw being national too early. In the past few seasons the FA has helped one or two clubs with travelling expenses at this stage. If the Vase prize money was as much as the Trophy or FA Cup then no one would have a valid reason to complain in my opinion but it's not.
As mentioned near the top of this thread, this season the rules were changed so it's still some sort of geographical draw until the last 16.

(This post was edited by VP on Dec 9, 2013, 4:21 PM)

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next page Last page  View All

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3