Non League Matters - The Continuation of Tonys english Football Site 

Main Index MAIN
INDEX
Search Posts SEARCH
IN

THIS FORUM IS NOW READ ONLY - PLEASE HEAD OVER TO THE NEW FORUM TO REGISTER A NEW ACCOUNT - THANKS

Home: All Other Football Interests: Football in other countries:
Football in Recife

Oxford Stone
Chelsea Transfer Target

Nov 19, 2013, 12:12 PM

Team(s): Maidstone United

Post #1 of 9 (16779 views)
Shortcut
Football in Recife Can't Post or Reply Privately

2014 will be a very interesting year for football in the northeastern Brazilian city of Recife.

[I know that there are / were better-qualified commentators on Brazilian football on this forum than me - but as you may remember from previous posts it's where most of my inlaws live and I've been to a memorable match there - so here goes...]

Naútico have had a miserable season in Serie A and are already relegated with a few games to go. They've left their old ground for the Arena Pernambuco, which will be hosting a few World Cup games. There was just one game here in 1950 - Chile beat USA 5-2 three days after USA's famous win over England.

Santa Cruz have gone up and down the leagues like a Brazilian Wolverhampton Wanderers - going from 1st to 4th level last decade in 3 seasons - like Wolves they were big in the 50s to 70s. They've clinched promotion back to Serie B so will line up against Naútico and possibly Sport too.

Sport are in a promotion spot at the top of Serie B with 2 games to go, but have to keep their nerve as it looks like 5 teams fighting over 2 places. Every chance of all 3 teams being in Serie B, in World Cup year.

All 3 teams claim to be the biggest, proudest team in the city. All 3 wear black and red! Naútico are the oldest and I think are seen as being elitist. Sta Cruz were the first to play a black player. Sport won a rump Serie A and a few years ago added a Brazilian Cup to their honours list. Naútico are proud to be the only one to have won 6 Pernambuco state championships on the trot.

Brazilians being rhythmical, a Recife motorist can let everyone know which team he supports by peeping his horn to the rhythm of a club song. So in Sport's case that's to the rhythm of what would be in English "attack, attack, attackattackattack". trouble is, the guy in the next car at the traffic lights is probably a Naútico / Sta Cruz fan, so on the evening after a match much of the city is dominated by impromptu car horn orchestras, VW campervans or "combis" with a dozen or more people on board adding their bit with horns or shouting.

All good fun and a place to keep a look out for! Wish I could justify a trip over for the WC but sadly not.

Oxford Stone
Chelsea Transfer Target

Nov 25, 2013, 10:03 AM

Post #2 of 9 (16625 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Oxford Stone] Football in Recife [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Sport are promoted with a game to spare (3 points clear but they've won 2 more than the teams chasing. Wins takes priority over GD). My cousin in law will be as proud as anything. They'll probably go straight back down again, but hey.

I suppose the nearest parallel in England is the W Midlands teams - or even better as Recife is in the NE, Newcastle / Sunderland / Middlesbrough... just more concentrated as in the one city.

Chris1963
Man City Transfer Target!

Nov 25, 2013, 7:44 PM

Team(s): Oxford United / Groundhopper

Post #3 of 9 (16578 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Oxford Stone] Football in Recife [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
2014 will be a very interesting year for football in the northeastern Brazilian city of Recife.

Naútico have had a miserable season in Serie A and are already relegated with a few games to go. They've left their old ground for the Arena Pernambuco, which will be hosting a few World Cup games.

Will the old stadium be demolished or will it be used by a smaller club?

As far as I know the only other ground move connected with the World Cup is Gremio, although by a remarkable and fortunate coincidence, their old stadium in Porto Alegre is the only Brazilian ground I have done (this was when I spent three days in the city during my tour of South America, which was mainly in Argentina and Uruquay.)

I would like to watch football in Rio de Janeiro and Sao Paulo, but will wait until after the 2016 Olympics, by which time the infrastructure there should have improved.

Oxford Stone
Chelsea Transfer Target

Nov 26, 2013, 10:50 AM

Post #4 of 9 (16526 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Chris1963] Football in Recife [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Cousin in law says it'll be / has been demolished to make way for luxury flats.

Oxford Stone
Chelsea Transfer Target

Nov 23, 2015, 3:16 PM

Post #5 of 9 (14306 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
Cousin in law says it'll be / has been demolished to make way for luxury flats.

Update on this - Aflitos has been used for American football and is now the ground of América Futebol Clube https://pt.wikipedia.org/wiki/Am%C3%A9rica_Futebol_Clube_(Pernambuco)

On the pitch, Santa Cruz are back up to Serie A next season!

Sport have played some home games at the Arena Pernambuco, but it's mainly used by Nautico who are suddenly Recife's third-best club.

Oxford Stone
Chelsea Transfer Target

Nov 25, 2016, 10:44 AM

Post #6 of 9 (13128 views)
Shortcut

The yo-yoing continues in Recife!

Santa Cruz relegated from Serie A to B.

Recife probably but not mathematically safe in A.

Nautico with a chance of promotion back to A with a game to go.

Oxford Stone
Chelsea Transfer Target

Dec 3, 2017, 9:53 PM

Post #7 of 9 (9684 views)
Shortcut

Another season, another couple of moves in Recife... Nautico and Santa Cruz relegated to Serie C, with a few games left. This evening Sport won their 3rd game on the trot after a terrible couple of months - 1-0 v Corinthians who had already won the league. This moved them out of the 4 relegation places at the expense of Avai who went down with Coritiba, Ponte Preta and Atletico Goiana. Vitoria stayed up by a goal from Coritiba - they lost to a last-minute Flamengo penalty which earned Flamengo a Copa Libertadores place ahead of Vasco da Gama.
JUst been exchanging messages with my cousin-in-law who is overjoyed at the great escape.

Oxford Stone
Chelsea Transfer Target

Dec 19, 2018, 4:08 PM

Post #8 of 9 (7100 views)
Shortcut

Time for my annual Recife-watch...
Sport relegated to Serie B on the last day despite winning their last game; Nautico and Santa Cruz both lost Serie C playoff finals a while ago. Many years since all 3 stayed in the same division - all 3 will be promotion favourites next year (as far as I know...)

Oxford Stone
Chelsea Transfer Target

Nov 29, 2019, 11:39 AM

Post #9 of 9 (159 views)
Shortcut

For the nth year in a row, the Recife yoyoing continues...
Sport bounce straight back to Serie A, finishing 2nd in Serie b (final games this weekend); Nautico are promoted to Serie B.

I might be in Rio for work next April / May and Recife (saving up for a holiday) in August, so I hope to brighten up the "where did you go" thread in 2020...

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3