Search Posts SEARCH
IN

Home: Non Football Related: General Chat:
First Great Western on TV

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 Next page Last page  View All

LondonBuck
Chelsea Transfer Target

Oct 19, 2013, 10:46 PM

Team(s): AFC Telford United, Witham Town, Folkestone Invicta, Gillingham, Woking

Post #101 of 119 (2734 views)
Shortcut
Re: [kirby knitters] First Great Western on TV [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Valid question on the way certain operators are running the railway.Is Northampton ran by LM or do Virgin have any say in it?

London Midland fully responsible for it as far as I know.

634 GROUNDS - Punjab United (61/92)
580 WETHERSPOONS - Wallasey
2 WETHERSPOONS HOTELS - Ripon

LondonBuck
Chelsea Transfer Target

Oct 19, 2013, 10:50 PM

Team(s): AFC Telford United, Witham Town, Folkestone Invicta, Gillingham, Woking

Post #102 of 119 (2733 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jrev61] First Great Western on TV [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

All I can say is, I'm glad I don't live in Oxford!

kirby knitters
Qatar World Cup bid member!

Oct 19, 2013, 11:00 PM

Team(s): Hinckley United FC.

Post #103 of 119 (2730 views)
Shortcut
Re: [LondonBuck] First Great Western on TV [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

In Reply To
Valid question on the way certain operators are running the railway.Is Northampton ran by LM or do Virgin have any say in it?

London Midland fully responsible for it as far as I know.

That company have some of the most modern trains on the entire network and are a disgrace,trains cancelled day in day out due to staff shortage...They should have lost that franchise 3 years ago.

VP
Man City Transfer Target!

Oct 20, 2013, 2:37 AM

Post #104 of 119 (2717 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Isaac] First Great Western on TV [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

In Reply To
And if you can't get a ticket before your train departs, you haven't left enough time.

That's the sort of waffle train companies come out with rather than admit they haven't provided adequate ticket selling facilities.

If you had queued for ten minutes and still hadn't been served and your train was pulling in and it was an hours wait until the next train, what would you do?

Wait.
Instead of trying to blame someone else I take responsibility for my own actions.
If I'm flying I aim to get to the airport at least three hours before the checking-in time. Get there - relax - have a beer or two instead of being one of those idiots who leaves it until the last minute then kicks off because the check-in desk say they're too late.
A mate of mine is even more extreme - he'll stay in a hotel near the airport the night before just to make sure he doesn't miss his flight.
I know trains aren't the same as planes but, if you haven't pre-paid and miss the train you wanted then tough sh*t.

(This post was edited by VP on Oct 20, 2013, 2:40 AM)

Isaac

Oct 20, 2013, 9:19 AM

Team(s): ABMU

Post #105 of 119 (2699 views)
Shortcut
Re: [VP] First Great Western on TV [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Yes I would do the same if I were flying and when going to football I always allow myself a bit of slack but if a train company cannot serve me within a reasonable amount of time then I'm not going to miss a train and wait an hour for the next one. I'll get on board and buy a ticket from the guard, and I've never had any problem when I've done so, common sense prevails.

Isaac

Oct 20, 2013, 9:27 AM

Post #106 of 119 (2697 views)
Shortcut
Re: [acmold] First Great Western on TV [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Not that cleaver these days price now up to 14 single and 17 return so once you add a tube (train) fare on it's a bit expensive.
Never see all serving hatches open at Oxford usually just 3 maybe 4 think there is only 5 anyway and one doubles as advanced bookings now travel centre is closed. About 6 ticket machines but always queues and quite often some of these are out of order, amazingly because they can't take anymore money as on one had emptied them. It's all a bit of a shambles really
These are the main problem
http://www.oxfordtimes.co.uk/news/10346591.As_passenger_numbers_double__commuters_want_work_on_new_Oxford_station_sped_up/

I would normally use the Oxford Tube coach from Victoria, saves me having to get the tube to Paddington and then rely on 'worst late western'Wink

wishmaster3211
First Team Star

Oct 21, 2013, 6:30 PM

Team(s): Calne Town, Darlington, Rosenborg, Sussex CCC, Huddersfield RL

Post #107 of 119 (2665 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Isaac] First Great Western on TV [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I watched about 10 minutes of a couple of episodes and couldn't bear it. It glossed over the sort of day to day issues that regular FGW passengers must deal with and came across as thinly veiled propaganda for what is one of the wretched Privatised Railway's most disliked and poorly performing Franchise's. Funny how they filmed it and then showed it at the time the Government disgracefully awarded them a franchise extension. Would have been better had they didn't do the programme on state run East Coast which is popular and succesful....hmmmm

"Run For the Hills Before They Burn"

Checkout my Facebook page "Proper Football Grounds"

facebook.com/paul.fergusson

LondonBuck
Chelsea Transfer Target

Oct 22, 2013, 6:13 AM

Post #108 of 119 (2639 views)
Shortcut
Re: [wishmaster3211] First Great Western on TV [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
I watched about 10 minutes of a couple of episodes and couldn't bear it. It glossed over the sort of day to day issues that regular FGW passengers must deal with and came across as thinly veiled propaganda for what is one of the wretched Privatised Railway's most disliked and poorly performing Franchise's. Funny how they filmed it and then showed it at the time the Government disgracefully awarded them a franchise extension. Would have been better had they didn't do the programme on state run East Coast which is popular and succesful....hmmmm

Have to agree with this, also thought it rather suspicious the franchise award coincided with the programme.
I still watched the series however.
Not keen on the choice of narrator, made it sound more like a comedy, which at times it was to be honest Crazy

acmold

Oct 22, 2013, 10:26 AM

Post #109 of 119 (2624 views)
Shortcut
Re: [LondonBuck] First Great Western on TV [In reply to] Can't Post or

The narrator was Paul Copley who is an actor, he actually narrates quite a few things

Isaac

Oct 22, 2013, 11:02 AM

Post #110 of 119 (2616 views)
Shortcut
Re: [acmold] First Great Western on TV [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
The narrator was Paul Copley who is an actor, he actually narrates quite a few things

I've never heard of him although his face looks vaguely familiar

kirby knitters

Oct 22, 2013, 12:04 PM

Post #111 of 119 (2607 views)
Shortcut

Same here, i looked him up and he appeared on Downton Abbey recently and he was once on Coronation Street!!

acmold

Oct 27, 2013, 1:34 PM

Post #112 of 119 (2555 views)
Shortcut
Re: [kirby knitters] First Great Western on TV [In reply to] Can't Post or

At Oxford Station on Friday, display screens now have warning messages about boarding trains without tickets, penalty fare zone and consequences.
Basically saying, If you do not have ticket you won't get trough the barriers onto your train even if you have wanted ages to be served.

kirby knitters

Oct 27, 2013, 10:04 PM

Post #113 of 119 (2520 views)
Shortcut

And i fully agree with it, ive never missed a train because of having to queue for a ticket because i plan what time i need.Theres no excuse for it and we all end up paying for fare dodgers but the rail companies need to do more to put a halt to it.The times ive boarded trains at the likes of Hinckley on a Saturday night and loads have got on going for a night out in in Leicester and nobody has collected money off them and of course by 8pm the barriers at Leic are open.

Isaac

Oct 28, 2013, 12:23 AM

Post #114 of 119 (2507 views)
Shortcut
Re: [kirby knitters] First Great Western on TV [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

The onus has to be on train companies to provide adequate ticket selling facilities.

Free travel is pretty much the norm in the evening, most people already have tickets bought earlier in the day and those that don't, its just more cost effective to let them travel for free.

lowerbourneshot
Junior Team Star

Oct 29, 2013, 12:41 PM

Team(s): Aldershot Town Hamrun Spartans

Post #115 of 119 (2469 views)
Shortcut

Travelled on 6 Worst Great Western Trains Saturday to watch Aldershot at Shortwood and all 6 ran late total shambles .Our Seats were double booked on a full train not happy at all,to top things off my SWT Train home ran 14 minutes late.

acmold

Nov 4, 2013, 11:10 AM

Post #116 of 119 (2405 views)
Shortcut
Re: [lowerbourneshot] First Great Western on TV [In reply to] Can't Post or

Story from a friend I dropped at Oxford Station on Saturday. The 5.37pm local drew into the platform before the 5.31pm Cross Country or fast to London. After the train failed to move they suddenly realised the driver had not arrived - not sure who brought it into the station. It was then cancelled and they had to find a driver to move it to the sidings. The then much delayed 5.31 arrived, by this time there were quite a number of Bristol Rovers fans at the station trying to get back to Bristol. The police made them stand outside the station in the wind and the rain as there were no trains for quite a while to get them to Didcot to change to go to Bristol. Eventually they laid on a special train to get them home. The 6.07pm local which was the first to Didcot and most other local stations for an hour was then itself late. Meaning the chap I had dropped off at 5.07 just missing the 5.07pm train did not depart Oxford until 6.17pm for a 10 or so minute journey to Didcot.
I had driven him back from the south side of Gloucester which took about 8 minutes less than the time he was on Oxford station.

LondonBuck
Chelsea Transfer Target

Dec 7, 2014, 9:55 AM

Post #117 of 119 (1535 views)
Shortcut
Re: [wishmaster3211] First Great Western on TV [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

It's back Tongue

kirby knitters

Dec 7, 2014, 10:13 AM

Post #118 of 119 (1525 views)
Shortcut
Re: [LondonBuck] First Great Western on TV [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
It's back Tongue

Really enjoyed it and it was not until i watched it that i understood the true horror of what the weather did to the track in Dawlish even though i had seen coverage of it on the news.

Isaac

Dec 7, 2014, 10:40 AM

Post #119 of 119 (1515 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To

In Reply To
It's back Tongue

Really enjoyed it and it was not until i watched it that i understood the true horror of what the weather did to the track in Dawlish even though i had seen coverage of it on the news.

I was amazed at how quickly they got that up and running, clearly a mammoth task

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 Next page Last page  View All

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3