Best law money can buy

jon b
First Team Star

Jul 13, 2013, 3:53 PM

Team(s): SUFC, SWFC etc

Post #1 of 25 (3426 views)
Shortcut
Best law money can buy Can't Post or Reply Privately

I see Mr Tevez has been able to swap his community service order for a 3,000 fine. Probably able to pay it straight off from the loose change on him.

Apparently, the Judge said "It is not, I repeat not, a case of a footballer thumbing his nose at a court order". Oh no, not at all, perish the thought. And we're all equal before the law. And we can all afford the same fancy lawyers...... Tongue

Oh, how I'll miss him. Like toothache.

kirby knitters
Qatar World Cup bid member!

Jul 13, 2013, 7:46 PM

Team(s): Hinckley United FC.

Post #2 of 25 (3394 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jon b] Best law money can buy [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Get exactly where you are coming from jon but realistically what other options did the court have?(apart from the obvious oneWink)he could hardly fly Turin to Manchester once a week to do a couple hours gardening!

HantsLondoner
First Team Star

Jul 13, 2013, 9:11 PM

Team(s): Hants/Middx/Sussex Non-League, Brentford, THFC, Eastleigh, SC Freiburg

Post #3 of 25 (3380 views)
Shortcut
Re: [kirby knitters] Best law money can buy [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Yes he could.

I'm sure any other offender wouldn't be let off the service if they'd managed to get a job somewhere else.

Unless they could arrange for him to do it in Italy?

If you're going to/been to a Hampshire Premier League match, I'd really appreciate you filling in a questionnaire - available in the Groundhopping/General section, or just PM me for a copy. Thanks.

kirby knitters

Jul 13, 2013, 9:23 PM

Post #4 of 25 (3376 views)
Shortcut
Re: [HantsLondoner] Best law money can buy [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Ok,he was represented in court by his lawyer(doubt he was there in person)the lawyer pleaded special circumstances why his client couldnt carry out the sentence imposed at the original hearing.its a special case,the man is leaving the UK permantly,there is surely no other option open to the court no matter who it is

Mishi
Man City Transfer Target!

Jul 13, 2013, 9:45 PM

Team(s): Dulwich Hamlet

Post #5 of 25 (3368 views)
Shortcut
Re: [kirby knitters] Best law money can buy [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Shame there's no a ruling in place whereby if he sets foot back in the UK he had to do a certain percentage of hours, as part of it, and get his fine refunded pro rata.

As it stands he could be in Italy for a year or two & then come back to sign for another British club, having 'bribed away' his punishment.

Grounds visited: 735
Last new ground: Biggleswade Town FC; Langford Road, Biggleswade, Bedfordshire. (Evo-Stik League South Premier Division Central)
Last game: Sunday 27th January 2019: Crystal Palace 0, Durham 2. [FA Women's Super League 2]
Matches watched this season: 115
2017/18-New English grounds: 12; & foreign: 2

kirby knitters

Jul 13, 2013, 10:02 PM

Post #6 of 25 (3363 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Mishi] Best law money can buy [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I was thinking along similar lines,why would he bother with any of it?just ignore the court order,they are not going to issue a European arrest warrent for it are they?then it hit me,he will probably want another pay day before he calles it a daySly

UKPunk

Jul 13, 2013, 10:21 PM

Post #7 of 25 (3356 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jon b] Best law money can buy [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
I see Mr Tevez has been able to swap his community service order for a 3,000 fine. Probably able to pay it straight off from the loose change on him.

Apparently, the Judge said "It is not, I repeat not, a case of a footballer thumbing his nose at a court order". Oh no, not at all, perish the thought. And we're all equal before the law. And we can all afford the same fancy lawyers...... Tongue

Oh, how I'll miss him. Like toothache.

Bad Religion/Don't Pray On Me

A grizzly scene on my electron beam told a story about human rights
So all the king's horses and all the king's men had a riot for two days and nights
Well the city exploded but the gates wouldn't open so the company asked him to quit
Now everybody's equal, just don't measure it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JrecfRlHxQA

1-0-1-0-4-25-40-65-181-289=606

Last game: Mon 20/8/18
4. Basford United 1 Hednesford Town 2

jrev61

Jul 13, 2013, 10:53 PM

Team(s): None

Post #8 of 25 (3345 views)
Shortcut
Re: [UKPunk] Best law money can buy [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Eric Cantona was given community service after appealing against his initial prison sentence.
He was supposed to coach kids. The first time this happened there was a 'media scrum' so his community service was abandoned. Not really his fault of course, but it meant he got away with it too.
On the subject of community service does anyone remember Mark Morrison? At least he didn't get away with sending his mate to do his sentence.

jrev61

cope1

Jul 14, 2013, 5:04 PM

Post #9 of 25 (3282 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jrev61] Best law money can buy [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I reckon it would have been reasonable to tell Mr Tevez that he was not permitted to leave the country until his community service was complete. He could probably do it over the summer and I'm sure he could find a club to train with - perhaps Man Utd ;)

sandhurstbee

Jul 14, 2013, 6:49 PM

Team(s): Brentford, Sandhurst Town and Most local Non League sides.

Post #10 of 25 (3256 views)
Shortcut
Re: [cope1] Best law money can buy [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Exactly, It is close season could he not have done the Communitty Service before going onto his next job? How long a session has he done? Did not realise Cantona had got away with not doing his Comunnitty Service due to media intrusion. Should have done time IMO or I am sure the authorities could have found him something to do in a secure enviroment, where no press were admitted.

Last New Ground 2016/17 (15) 29/4/2017 HIGHMOOR/IBIS RESERVES 1 Mortimer 1 - Thames Valley premier league, Premier Division

Chris1963

Jul 14, 2013, 10:10 PM

Team(s): Oxford United / Groundhopper

Post #11 of 25 (3223 views)
Shortcut
Re: [sandhurstbee] Best law money can buy [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

It is scandalous, but still not as bad as people getting ridiculously harsh prison sentences for relatively minor offences. Take for example, the Italian scientists who got several years in prison for failing to predict a fatal earthquake (if it is actually possible to predict these events) Or former cricket money man Allen Stanford who will be spending the rest of his life in an American jail even though he did not do anything worse than defraud a few people.
Even in the UK there have been over-the-top prison sentences; for instance, the recent Oxford child-grooming trial ended with two of the defendants getting minimum terms of 20 years, despite the fact that (a) they had not killed anyone (b) other people who have been convicted of murder have only had minimum terms of 15-18 years.

On a separate but related topic, I am glad that the European Court has ruled that the UK government should not be imposing whole-life tariffs on murderers. It is a disgrace that politicians have been increasing the original tariffs that were decided by judges (for example, the Yorkshire Ripper got 30 years and Jeremy Bamber 25 years at their trials) simply in order to win general elections.

(This post was edited by Chris1963 on Jul 14, 2013, 10:12 PM)

Richard Rundle

Jul 14, 2013, 10:31 PM

Post #12 of 25 (3208 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Chris1963] Best law money can buy [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Or the other extreme when drunk drivers who kill children get 7 and a bit years, and serve less than four.

Chris1963

Jul 14, 2013, 10:36 PM

Post #13 of 25 (3204 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Richard Rundle] Best law money can buy [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Or the other extreme when drunk drivers who kill children get 7 and a bit years, and serve less than four.

I agree completely. If I really wanted to murder a specific person, I would not do it with a gun, which would get me a 30 year tariff. Rather, I would have a few drinks and then drive over my intended target on the pavement. That way I'd spend only a few years behind bars.

UKPunk

Jul 14, 2013, 10:39 PM

Post #14 of 25 (3198 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Chris1963] Best law money can buy [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
On a separate but related topic, I am glad that the European Court has ruled that the UK government should not be imposing whole-life tariffs on murderers.

You probably wouldn't take that view if it was someone close to you who had been murdered, Chris. As far as I'm concerned murderers should be banged up for life.

kirby knitters

Jul 14, 2013, 10:44 PM

Post #15 of 25 (3194 views)
Shortcut

Life without any possibility of parole,seeing as the best we offer in this country!!!

jrev61

Jul 14, 2013, 10:44 PM

Team(s): None

Post #16 of 25 (3193 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To

In Reply To
On a separate but related topic, I am glad that the European Court has ruled that the UK government should not be imposing whole-life tariffs on murderers.

You probably wouldn't take that view if it was someone close to you who had been murdered, Chris. As far as I'm concerned murderers should be banged up for life.

With Justin Bieber records piped into their cells at full volume for 24 hours a day. They'd soon hang themselves.Smile

jrev61

Mishi

Jul 14, 2013, 10:46 PM

Post #17 of 25 (3191 views)
Shortcut

Except when you do mow someone down...we will all refer back to your post! ;-)

Last new ground: Biggleswade Town FC; Langford Road, Biggleswade, Bedfordshire. (Evo-Stik League South Premier Division Central)
Last game: Sunday 27th January 2019: Crystal Palace 0, Durham 2. [FA Women's Super League 2]

Chris1963

Jul 14, 2013, 11:19 PM

Post #18 of 25 (3182 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To

In Reply To

Admittedly that might be true if someone I knew had been murdered, but if we only listened to the families of the victims then we would end up with an Islamic style justice system. Also, you have to remember that prison staff are at increased risk of assault from whole-life prisoners who have nothing to lose.

kirby knitters

Jul 14, 2013, 11:42 PM

Post #19 of 25 (3176 views)
Shortcut

Slightly away from the topic but miles away from the thread.How many of you watched the prog on C4 in the week on the televised trial in Scotland involving the appeal of Nat Frasier charged with killing his wife?TV at its best.i stayed away from the laptop so as not to spoil it and coulnt believe he was convicted for a second time.TV in courts,yes or no?

jon b
First Team Star

Jul 15, 2013, 1:33 PM

Team(s): SUFC, SWFC etc

Post #20 of 25 (3121 views)
Shortcut

Hm. Thinking of Magnitsky in Russkiland and Zimmerman in the Home of the Brave, I suppose our set-up could be worse. Shocked

I wonder when was the last time our courts tried a dead man. Oliver Cromwell?

mip

Jul 15, 2013, 2:36 PM

Team(s): Portsmouth, OB, Svendborg fB, Tved B

Post #21 of 25 (3111 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To

But he'll have a programme from a simultaneous game to provide an alibi...

Mishi

Jul 15, 2013, 5:50 PM

Post #22 of 25 (3077 views)
Shortcut
Re: [mip] Best law money can buy [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

That's not an alibi...that's a piece of paper!

Mister TwoU
First Team Star

Jul 15, 2013, 7:06 PM

Team(s): Malvern Town F,C,

Post #23 of 25 (3057 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
That's not an alibi...that's a piece of paper!

In fact M'Lud, it's a tiss-oowey of lies!

A tissue! A tissue!

Bless you M'Lud.

Professional cretin.

(This post was edited by Mister TwoU on Jul 15, 2013, 7:07 PM)

VP

Jul 15, 2013, 8:19 PM

Post #24 of 25 (3043 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To

In Reply To

I'm fascinated by stories of what happens when the families of murder victims meet the killers. In some cases, perfectly understandably, the families what to kill or serious harm the killer but there are lot of cases where they're remarkably forgiving. I can't say I'd be that forgiving but, until you're in that situation, you just don't know. Many years ago one of my mates killed another of my mates by punching him which led to him cracking his skull open on the ground when he fell. The victim's family appealed to the court to be lenient as they knew they were mates who'd just got into an argument with tragic consequences. That takes a lot of guts. I think the sentence was eight years and he was relased after four.
I've also heard of cases where people have married the killers. I find that a bit bizarre but, like I say, until you're in that situation....

One recent case - http://www.bbc.co.uk/...tin-america-20807241

(This post was edited by VP on Jul 15, 2013, 8:27 PM)

UKPunk

Jul 15, 2013, 11:06 PM

Post #25 of 25 (3010 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To

With what? His bicycle or his Qualcast? Laugh

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3