Home: All Other Football Interests: Premier League & Football League:
Biggest gulf between teams now in same league

London Harrier
First Team Star

Jul 1, 2013, 12:36 PM

Post #1 of 10 (2132 views)
Shortcut
Biggest gulf between teams now in same league Can't Post or Reply Privately

In the 2003-04 season, Portsmouth made their debut in the Premier League. The same season Fleetwood Town were in the North West Counties League, at Level 9 (I think) of the Pyramid.

This season the two clubs play each other in League Two.

Has there been a bigger historical gulf between two sides now playing in the same division, in such a short space of time?

(for the purpose of this thread, phoenix clubs donít count)

Isaac
Man City Transfer Target!

Jul 1, 2013, 2:03 PM

Team(s): ABMU

Post #2 of 10 (2103 views)
Shortcut
Re: [London Harrier] Biggest gulf between teams now in same league [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Wolves playing a league below Yeovil next season?

London Harrier
First Team Star

Jul 1, 2013, 2:31 PM

Post #3 of 10 (2095 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Isaac] Biggest gulf between teams now in same league [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Thinking about it, Stockport County v Brackley Town in Conference North must represent a serious swing in fortunes.

BDC0652
Reserve Team Sub

Jul 1, 2013, 4:59 PM

Team(s): Earsham & Norwich City

Post #4 of 10 (2059 views)
Shortcut
Re: [London Harrier] Biggest gulf between teams now in same league [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Strangely enough i was looking at a Norwich City programme the other day from 2000 and Stockport were 6th in the Championship, just looking at Brackley's history that season they were in the Hellenic Premier.

London Harrier
First Team Star

Jul 1, 2013, 5:15 PM

Post #5 of 10 (2053 views)
Shortcut
Re: [BDC0652] Biggest gulf between teams now in same league [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Strangely enough i was looking at a Norwich City programme the other day from 2000 and Stockport were 6th in the Championship, just looking at Brackley's history that season they were in the Hellenic Premier.

Indeed. It's surreal they are now in the same divison.

Andrelux
First Team Regular

Jul 1, 2013, 5:28 PM

Team(s): Brentford (for my sins - obviously done something really bad in a past life

Post #6 of 10 (2051 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
In the 2003-04 season, Portsmouth made their debut in the Premier League. The same season Fleetwood Town were in the North West Counties League, at Level 9 (I think) of the Pyramid.

Has there been a bigger historical gulf between two sides now playing in the same division, in such a short space of time?

Assuming you're using a ten year gap, then that has to be a good one.

Not sure whether there's ever been a bigger gap filled, but in terms of surprise value, then Manchester City v Macclesfield Town at level 3 a few years back has to be up there. The same question could be asked of both clubs: what the hell were they doing playing at the same level? In some ways, that's an even bigger surprise, since a few years earlier, no-one could have imagined Man City getting relegated, let alone playing at level 3, and Macclesfield were just an ordinary non-league side who might yo-yo up and down between the conference and NPL.

London Harrier
First Team Star

Jul 1, 2013, 5:48 PM

Post #7 of 10 (2039 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Andrelux] Biggest gulf between teams now in same league [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

In Reply To

Assuming you're using a ten year gap, then that has to be a good one.

Not sure whether there's ever been a bigger gap filled, but in terms of surprise value, then Manchester City v Macclesfield Town at level 3 a few years back has to be up there. The same question could be asked of both clubs: what the hell were they doing playing at the same level? In some ways, that's an even bigger surprise, since a few years earlier, no-one could have imagined Man City getting relegated, let alone playing at level 3, and Macclesfield were just an ordinary non-league side who might yo-yo up and down between the conference and NPL.

The ten year gap in this case was more coincidence than anything else. That said, there needs to be a timespan limit of some sorts, otherwise people will quote clubs who have changed leagues of 50 or 60 year periods, which kind of misses the point - or at least the novelty - of the thread.

I imagine that Luton Town v Braintree would be another interesting one.

1991-92 - Luton in Divsion 1 (now the Premier League)
1991-92 - Braintree in Southern League Eastern Division, having been promoted from the Eastern Counties League.

hawkwind
First Team Star

Jul 1, 2013, 5:52 PM

Post #8 of 10 (2038 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To

Fleetwood Town and Wimbledon both played at Level 8 2003-04.

stugg93
Reserve Team Regular

Jul 1, 2013, 7:31 PM

Team(s): Southampton, Shef Weds, Shef Utd, Ipswich, Blackfield & L, Hythe & Dibden

Post #9 of 10 (2003 views)
Shortcut
Re: [hawkwind] Biggest gulf between teams now in same league [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Anyone thought of what clubs could drop and rise over the next few years who played last year or will play this year in the same leagues?

I think Bury are a likely candidate to drop and I'm sure one or two of the big clubs in League 1 (Coventry City, Sheffield United, Bristol City, Wolves, Bradford City, MK Dons, Portsmouth) this or last year will be doing well in the premier league in 10 years time while some of their competitors will be struggling in the conference or lower.

Mister TwoU
First Team Star

Jul 1, 2013, 10:47 PM

Team(s): Malvern Town F,C,

Post #10 of 10 (1954 views)
Shortcut

Re the question of comparisons - that's easy.

Just divide the divisional gap by number of seasons it took to establish -

thus Pompey/Fleetwood = 8 divisions (level9-level1)/ 10 seasons (2003/04 to 2013/14) = 0.800

The larger the number derived on the right, the greater the difference.

Professional cretin.

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3