Non League Matters - The Continuation of Tonys english Football Site 

Main Index MAIN
INDEX
Search Posts SEARCH
IN

Home: All Other Football Interests: All other football:
People who follow Brentford on this site.

Andrelux
First Team Regular

Jun 30, 2013, 8:21 PM

Team(s): Brentford (for my sins - obviously done something really bad in a past life

Post #1 of 22 (7596 views)
Shortcut
People who follow Brentford on this site. Can't Post or Reply Privately

Is it just me, or does there appear to be a disproportionately large number of active members on this site who identify themselves with Brentford? It's only a small club on the western edge of London, after all. Is this so and if so why is this? For example, far fewer Foolscum and hardly any QPhaha (OK, so those names show me nailing my colours to the mast).

(a) is it because there are lots of non-league teams nearby?
(b) is it a kind of insurance against a possible Brentford relegation through the ranks. Getting the nest ready, as it were?
or is it (c)...? I'd like to quantify (c) as being a greater discernment from Bees fans, but that theory obviously crashes and burns at the first hurdle, since by the very fact of following a team of serial losers, those of us who do so have clearly demonstrated a complete and utter lack of discernment.
Perhaps it's (d) seeking vicarious enjoyment elsewhere, since we can't find anything better to do?
Or (e) do people who are naturally drawn to losers pass through a Brentford supporting stage?

(This post was edited by Andrelux on Jun 30, 2013, 8:26 PM)

cope1
Man City Transfer Target!

Jul 1, 2013, 10:55 AM

Post #2 of 22 (7545 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Andrelux] People who follow Brentford on this site. [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

There are certainly quite a few of you out there. I've also managed to meet several of you too!
I have absolutely no idea why there are so many Brentford fans, but thinking about it I've noticed more Barnet fans than is proportionate too although ironically, living in Barnet and following them, I've not met any of them.

KnowYourMarket

Jul 1, 2013, 12:00 PM

Team(s): WBA, FC Saarbruecken, Brierley Hill Alliance (RIP)

Post #3 of 22 (7536 views)
Shortcut
Re: [cope1] People who follow Brentford on this site. [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

If we use this forum as a measure of fans then Brentford and Stourbridge are the 2 biggest clubs in the world.

Last ground visited(update requested by Spud): Wellington . New grounds 18/19: 38

Tim

Jul 1, 2013, 1:10 PM

Team(s): Stourbridge, Welton Rovers

Post #4 of 22 (7518 views)
Shortcut
Re: [KnowYourMarket] People who follow Brentford on this site. [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
If we use this forum as a measure of fans then Brentford and Stourbridge are the 2 biggest clubs in the world.

Can't argue with that. Crewe Alexandra are up there too.

UKPunk

Jul 1, 2013, 3:00 PM

Post #5 of 22 (7498 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Tim] People who follow Brentford on this site. [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

In Reply To

Can't argue with that. Crewe Alexandra are up there too.

And Man. Utd would be amongst the smallest. Sounds good to me! Tongue

1-0-1-0-4-25-40-65-181-289=606

Last game: Mon 20/8/18
4. Basford United 1 Hednesford Town 2

acmold

Jul 1, 2013, 3:15 PM

Post #6 of 22 (7492 views)
Shortcut
Re: [UKPunk] People who follow Brentford on this site. [In reply to] Can't Post or

Thinking along the Groundhoppers / Travelling line, some teams seem to have quite a few (past or present supporters) some seem to have none.

WBA, Wolves, Villa, Coventry, Leicester, Oxford, Reading, Millwall, Chelsea, Arsenal, Fulham, Swindon, Northampton all seem to have a fare selection who are travellers.

jrev61

Jul 2, 2013, 6:01 PM

Team(s): None

Post #7 of 22 (7402 views)
Shortcut
Re: [acmold] People who follow Brentford on this site. [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Three people(including myself) on this forum list Northampton Spencer as one of their favourite teams.
Not bad for a level 6 team with an average crowd of around 40.

jrev61

Richard Rundle

Jul 2, 2013, 6:36 PM

Post #8 of 22 (7397 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jrev61] People who follow Brentford on this site. [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Three people(including myself) on this forum list Northampton Spencer as one of their favourite teams.

How can you tell - you appear to list your Team(s) as "None"

acmold

Jul 3, 2013, 11:07 AM

Post #9 of 22 (7336 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Richard Rundle] People who follow Brentford on this site. [In reply to] Can't Post or

In Reply To

In Reply To

I know quite a few people who look at or post on this site who watch Abingdon Town on a (semi) regular basis, not sure if they all claim to support them in their profile. Last season Abingdon recorded one crowd of 10 for a game Cool

cope1

Jul 3, 2013, 2:59 PM

Post #10 of 22 (7320 views)
Shortcut
Re: [acmold] People who follow Brentford on this site. [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

In Reply To

In Reply To

I know quite a few people who look at or post on this site who watch Abingdon Town on a (semi) regular basis, not sure if they all claim to support them in their profile. Last season Abingdon recorded one crowd of 10 for a game Cool

The rest having decided to stay in and see what was what on here...

jrev61

Jul 3, 2013, 6:40 PM

Team(s): None

Post #11 of 22 (7297 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Richard Rundle] People who follow Brentford on this site. [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

In Reply To

That's because I don't support any team, but as I said I take an interest in them, and go to some midweek games.
The other two people are one that I personally know and another that I don't. He doesn't live in Northampton, but posted a few months ago that Spencer were one of the teams whose results he looks out for.
Often people on this forum or who I see at matches assume I support Northampton Town. I don't, although I do go to the odd game. I prefer to watch Spencer or Sileby Rangers though.

jrev61

sandhurstbee

Jul 5, 2013, 1:34 PM

Team(s): Brentford, Sandhurst Town and Most local Non League sides.

Post #12 of 22 (7215 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jrev61] People who follow Brentford on this site. [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I have followed Brentford for over 50 years now but always had an interest in Non League, probably because it was cheaper and more local. I used to go on the Wokingham Town coach sometimes and this got me interested in `Ticking` grounds off. Brentford supporter I knew done The Northern Hops (Burgesshillbee and Henfieldbee also done them) but I wouldn`t miss a Brentford home game at the time so never went. Brentford going into the doldrums and ill health meant I missed a couple of Bees games which led to me going on my first hop, South Wales Amature League and I was hooked. Discovered this site and became one of a number of Bees to post on here. Seems strange sometimes to go to a Non League game and see Brentford supporters there IE Henfield Bee at Birimscombe & Thrupp last season.

Last New Ground 2016/17 (15) 29/4/2017 HIGHMOOR/IBIS RESERVES 1 Mortimer 1 - Thames Valley premier league, Premier Division

HantsLondoner
First Team Star

Jul 7, 2013, 2:26 PM

Team(s): Hants/Middx/Sussex Non-League, Brentford, THFC, Eastleigh, SC Freiburg

Post #13 of 22 (7136 views)
Shortcut
Re: [sandhurstbee] People who follow Brentford on this site. [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Brentford were my local league team when I was growing up.
At that time it was relatively cheap to go and watch Div 1 football, so I did go to QPR, and particularly Tottenham at the time, quite a lot, as well as go to Griffin Park. Even when the Bees were crap in Div 4 there was still a good atmosphere and good support. And being local I could identify with them more.
When I went to Uni the nearest league team was 20 miles away (the nearest station was 4 miles away) so I gravitated into non-league football. The rock-hard Northern Premier League.
When I was in Germany it was possible to watch league football on a Saturday and non-league football on a Sunday - a perfect balance. Don't know why we don't do that now...
Meanwhile league football had become more expensive. And then came Sky, which finished it all as far as I was concerned at the top level.
Brentford still don't buy into all that faux glamour, still retain a 'local' aspect and still try and play good football in a ground with a good atmosphere so I'm still happy to follow them when I can.
But my main preference has been non-league football ever since. Even having moved down to the South Coast.....

If you're going to/been to a Hampshire Premier League match, I'd really appreciate you filling in a questionnaire - available in the Groundhopping/General section, or just PM me for a copy. Thanks.

Henfield Bee
Reserve Team Regular

Aug 1, 2013, 3:19 PM

Team(s): Brentford

Post #14 of 22 (6757 views)
Shortcut
Re: [sandhurstbee] People who follow Brentford on this site. [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Barry, assume you are going to bees v sheff utd on 10th rather than driving to cumbria?

nb: i will only post re new grounds when BurgessHill Bee doesn't..(since he's far better informed than I)

UKPunk

Aug 1, 2013, 11:56 PM

Post #15 of 22 (6720 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Henfield Bee] People who follow Brentford on this site. [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

He'll get less stress in Cumbria. Cool

1-0-1-0-4-25-40-65-181-289=606

Last game: Mon 20/8/18
4. Basford United 1 Hednesford Town 2

sandhurstbee

Aug 2, 2013, 1:28 PM

Post #16 of 22 (6690 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Henfield Bee] People who follow Brentford on this site. [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Barry, assume you are going to bees v sheff utd on 10th rather than driving to cumbria?

Yes I will be at Griffin Park for the Sheffield United game rather than the One day in Cumbria but will be missing the Walsall game on 24th as I will be on the Welsh Hop that weekend.

Last New Ground 2016/17 (15) 29/4/2017 HIGHMOOR/IBIS RESERVES 1 Mortimer 1 - Thames Valley premier league, Premier Division

wishmaster3211
First Team Star

Aug 9, 2013, 1:46 PM

Team(s): Calne Town, Darlington, Rosenborg, Sussex CCC, Huddersfield RL

Post #17 of 22 (6496 views)
Shortcut

Everton and Sheff Wed also seem to have a large number of Non League followers/Hoppers. Hard to work out why this is.

"Run For the Hills Before They Burn"

Checkout my Facebook page "Proper Football Grounds"

facebook.com/paul.fergusson

stourboy
First Team Star

Aug 11, 2013, 1:53 PM

Team(s): Stourbridge FC, Sheffield Wednesday

Post #18 of 22 (6443 views)
Shortcut
Re: [wishmaster3211] People who follow Brentford on this site. [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I'm Stourbridge AND Sheffield Wednesday. Do I get a prize? Wink

Crewe Alex and Dulwich seem to be well represented too Tongue

AnotherGlassboy
First Team Sub

Aug 12, 2013, 4:30 PM

Team(s): Stourbridge FC

Post #19 of 22 (6392 views)
Shortcut
Re: [KnowYourMarket] People who follow Brentford on this site. [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

This (or the second part of it, anyway) is news how exactly...?

LondonBuck
Chelsea Transfer Target

Aug 13, 2013, 10:55 AM

Team(s): AFC Telford United, Witham Town, Folkestone Invicta, Gillingham, Woking

Post #20 of 22 (6351 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Andrelux] People who follow Brentford on this site. [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I still have the video of the FA Cup game at the New Bucks Head some years ago Wink

637 GROUNDS - AFC Fylde(61/92)
582 WETHERSPOONS - Lytham
2 WETHERSPOONS HOTELS - Ripon

sandhurstbee

Aug 13, 2013, 1:14 PM

Post #21 of 22 (6336 views)
Shortcut
Re: [LondonBuck] People who follow Brentford on this site. [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Hope you been playing it during the summer Buck, you could do with reminding what it was like to win a game after last season, Though of course that was your former team as Telford United are no more. Tongue

SpiderBee
First Team Sub

Sep 27, 2013, 12:18 PM

Team(s): Colliers Wood United & Queen's Park (Glasgow)

Post #22 of 22 (5733 views)
Shortcut

Another Bees fan here though I don't go that often any more due to my love of NL football.
Used to go everywhere home and away but, for me, the ban on smoking on trains killed it dead.
Still tough doing longer trips to Alton and Hartley Wintney but I can handle it better now.
Started watching non league aged 11 and have always followed the NL game closely.

The 2019/20 Colliers Wood United FC Website

wibbandune.simplesite.com/

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3