Reserve Team Sub

Jun 16, 2013, 2:52 PM

Team(s): Yeovil Town FC

Post #1 of 28 (29496 views)
Shortcut
2013-14 Non-League Prediction League Can't Post or Reply Privately

ROLL-UP! COME JOIN-IN. THIS SITE'S VERY OWN

"MASTERS OF NONLEAGUE" PREDICTION LEAGUE GAME 2013-14

NLM's annual prediction-fest is starting up again very soon and I encourage all of you, both old and new to come and join in the fun. Entry is FREE, and there are several modest prizes to be won!

You can find the main page at http://www.nlpl.co.uk/...able&month=24116 and just follow the simple instructions to register your name/team.

It's dead easy to play: predict a result, win 3 points for a perfect guess, 1 point for getting just the H/D/A result correct & nil-points bar.

We'll choose regular matches for you each game-Week, drawn from Steps One thru' Six in the main part, but 'plumped-up' with lots of Cup/Trophy/Vase matches.

We expect to set a total of around 1000 predictions for you to make over the whole season! But we'll accept as 'serious-players'; i.e. those aiming to win one of our (minimum of) five prizes; anyone who ends up completing just 600 fixtures come the end of the final week of the season.

However, if even that sounds daunting, by all means set up your own private sub-leagues where you and pals can pick and choose subsets of the main list to stick to - with as many or as few fixtures as desired.

Names/Teams are placed in a league table, the order determined by most points first and secondarily by 'goal difference'.

"How," I hear you say, "does goal difference get calculated?".

OK - you score one goal for each correctly guessed team score... in other words, correctly predict Team A to hit four goals - you get four goals-for. Strangely, correctly predict Team B to score nil goals and you do get a goals-for amount... but unfortunately that'd be zero. Shame! lol

Goals against are summed from the differences between each of your guessed team scores and their real scores. Going back to Team A v. Team B (from above) @ 4-0... if you'd guessed 3-1 - your GF/GA column would be altered by 0/2 respectively. Had you predicted 4-2 instead, you'd have gotten 4/2 respectively in your GF/GA columns. It's simpler than it looks and you'll quickly get the hang of it!

For those SERIOUS COMPETITORS (the ones aiming to win prizes), there's an alternative 'simple' league table available (under the 'statistics' button) - which ranks all players by their average points-per-game record - and is the real skill monitor.
It is from the STATISTICS table, that we determine our prize-winners. For the 2012-13 season, 1st. won a copy of the 2014 Non-League Directory, while 2nd. through 5th. respectively, won vouchers for 20, 15, 10 & 5 from a top online football publications Company.

THIS SEASON, WE'RE HOPING TO GET SPONSORSHIP TO INCREASE PRIZE VALUES & NUMBERS!

Hoping for a hundred or more of you to sign up.

Mister TwoU
First Team Star

Jun 28, 2013, 4:43 PM

Team(s): Bo'ness United/Cowdenbeath/Wasps

Post #2 of 28 (29143 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Kernovian] 2013-14 Non-League Prediction League [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

When will you update to the new season please?

I can hardly wait! Tongue

Professional cretin.

Kernovian
Reserve Team Sub

Jul 4, 2013, 8:08 PM

Post #3 of 28 (29000 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Kernovian] 2013-14 Non-League Prediction League [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

The Prediction League is temporarily 'out of order' while switching to the new season.

Please note that in all likelihood, you will need to re-register to access the 2013-14 game.

While writing, I should mention that I have kept a cut/pasted record of both of last season's tables.

Inherited by AngusGF

Kernovian
Reserve Team Sub

Jul 7, 2013, 12:10 PM

Post #4 of 28 (28928 views)
Shortcut

The 'technical difficulties' we've been experiencing with the 2013-14 edition of the Non-League Prediction League should hopefully be fixed by the end of this week, whereupon vienna1964, RRYFS & I shall scurry in our hamster-wheels to get the first few weeks worth of fixtures out for your pleasure.

Atm it looks like the first fixtures will be for the week starting Saturday 3rd. August.

SINCERE REQUEST

Last season we drew near-60 competitors, of whom almost 30 completed enough fixtures to be considered for one of our five prizes... which was nice.

However, in consideration of the number of Forum Members we have and the numbers of NL-interested family, friends & acquaintances they have, not to mention fora/websites they may be active on, we can do better than that. Surely? A lot better methinks.

Would you all please consider recruiting us some more enthused and dedicated competitors for us? I know our game is hard and 'a tough-sell' perhaps, but remember, it's not all about the winning the big prizes Tongue - we always activate 'OWN LEAGUES' every season, in which you may engage in your own private battles with your own cadre of mates! In the private leagues you can decide between yourselves which of our fixtures you're going to use in competition... by no means do you need to predict for all of them! Indeed, even in 'the big game', to qualify for entry to the prize competition, you only have to predict for a minimum of 60% (now a fixed %age) of the total number of fixtures available! IT'S EASIER THAN YOU THINK!

NB When 'advertising' us on other websites you're involved with, please seek the permission/approval of the Admins first. We don't want to be spamming. PS We don't have the ability to acknowledge or link from the NLPL website, which may need explanation sometimes. However, we'll be pleased to place such things here on this thread if requested.

Inherited by AngusGF

Kernovian
Reserve Team Sub

Jul 8, 2013, 6:54 PM

Post #5 of 28 (28378 views)
Shortcut

OK Folks. All up and running once more!

Please feel free to
register or check on
your previously
registered ID's and
let us know if any
problems are
encountered - by
adding a post to the
thread here in the
NLM Forum.

Fixture blanks
for leagues' games
in week#2 thru'
week#6 inc. are now
input and will
start
being filled-in
soon.

Fixture blanks for
the first few rounds
of the three big k/o
competitions are
also input, plus
single 'marker'
fixtures showing
when later rounds
are to happen.

NB From this season
k/o competition
(code) names are
foreshortened to
single characters -
C/T/V for Cup,
Trophy & Vase
respectively. Leagues'
(code)names will
remain 4-characters
in length as usual.
'Kent' of course,
becomes 'SCEP' with
its new title.

Inherited by AngusGF

(This post was edited by Kernovian on Jul 8, 2013, 6:55 PM)

Kernovian
Reserve Team Sub

Jul 15, 2013, 6:36 PM

Post #6 of 28 (28032 views)
Shortcut

GIGANTIC NEWS!

CoolCoolCoolCoolCoolCoolCoolCoolCoolCoolCoolCoolCoolCool

After simply years of fruitless research and enquiry as to how to effect it in the game, we are now very proud to present the availability of point-scoring from matches where you've predicted CORRECT GOAL DIFFERENCE - if not actually the spot-on result!

I have always felt that nabbing the GD to be a major skill in this kind of game, not too far short of getting the spot-on prediction, and I just know that now being able to factor-in this skill, our game's going to be better than ever!

CHANGES TO SCORING SYSTEM

Yes, there will now be up to five points awarded for each match, opposed to the original maximum of three.
There will not however, be any changes to the goals-scoring method we have used in previous iterations of the game.

Here's the low-down ~

You earn 1Pt. for correct prediction of H/D/A - as usual
- NEW - You earn 1Pt. for correct prediction of goal-difference between the two teams (obviously 'right-way-around in H/A's!)
- NEW - You earn 1Pt. for correct prediction of H-score &/or A-score (Tx Steve Walker for persuading me into that!)
You earn 1Pt. for spot-on prediction bonus - as usual but reduced from 2Pts.

This gives a maximum yield of 5Pts. - for the 'Perfect Prediction'.
Correct H/D/A + one correct goals-scored earns 2Pts. -as does -
Correct H/D/A + correct goal-difference, but no correct goals-scored
Correct H/D/A alone gets 1Pt. -as will -
Correct H-score or A-score, without H/D/A or GD being correct.

I think that that covers all of the permutations.

Please feel free to comment.

Inherited by AngusGF

bbcgull
Reserve Team Regular

Jul 20, 2013, 3:22 PM

Team(s): Torquay United, Real Salt Lake, United Services Portsmouth

Post #7 of 28 (27787 views)
Shortcut

My old ID and pw won't work so i assunme of course i have to reregister. We CAN use the same ID and pw on the new system can't we?

Great that the winners section etc is updated.

Kernovian
Reserve Team Sub

Jul 20, 2013, 4:56 PM

Post #8 of 28 (27781 views)
Shortcut
Re: [bbcgull] 2013-14 Non-League Prediction League [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
My old ID and pw won't work so i assunme of course i have to reregister. We CAN use the same ID and pw on the new system can't we?

Great that the winners section etc is updated.

Don't think that'll present a problem.

Inherited by AngusGF

Kernovian
Reserve Team Sub

Jul 21, 2013, 10:30 PM

Post #9 of 28 (27716 views)
Shortcut

Thanks for signing in here peoples.

Sixteen plus moi shown on the table already.

I need a big surge of sign-ups now, to then impress my three 'possible sponsors', to show them a bit of 'bang-for-bucks' and persuade them to part with the folding-stuff - for our prizes!
Obviously, they'll be wanting as many players as possible to be aware of who they are and what their products/services are.

Thus, to help them to decide to commit, let's really, really get news of this competition out there. You never know, if we show high enough numbers, it may be possible to get more than one sponsor on board... which leads me to thoughts of extra prizes for things like 'weekly/monthly winners', 'wooden spoon', 'best GD outside main prize winners', etc.

Get on Forums, NL Groups, etc. with our sign-up details (always ask Admins/Mods permission first), and get your family, friends and work colleagues interested - you can always challenge them in your own private mini-league!

Once more, sincere thanks to all already comitted - and heartfelt plea to those yet to do so, Help us make this game magnificent & memorable!

Inherited by AngusGF

bbcgull
Reserve Team Regular

Jul 22, 2013, 6:15 PM

Post #10 of 28 (27684 views)
Shortcut

Have managed tro log in - it worked - but not showing on the list as yet.....

Should i wait or defo rereg? sorry to be a pain

Kernovian
Reserve Team Sub

Jul 22, 2013, 7:17 PM

Post #11 of 28 (27677 views)
Shortcut
Re: [bbcgull] 2013-14 Non-League Prediction League [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Have managed tro log in - it worked - but not showing on the list as yet.....

Should i wait or defo rereg? sorry to be a pain

No problem. Should be fixed now.

Inherited by AngusGF

bbcgull
Reserve Team Regular

Jul 22, 2013, 9:44 PM

Post #12 of 28 (27662 views)
Shortcut

Hey thanks, yes i'm now on the board. 7th already, great start for me! Oh wait.... What do you mean we haven't started yet!!! Wink

I have also mentioned it on my board... so if anyone does show interest, ok to link?

burrow
Youth Team Sub

Jul 23, 2013, 9:54 AM

Team(s): Chester FC

Post #13 of 28 (27638 views)
Shortcut

I'd like to register for the prediction league again. I finished a credible 9th last season and I hope to try a little harder this time.

All these different languages the world over yet there is only one when you laugh or cry. burrow

Kernovian
Reserve Team Sub

Jul 23, 2013, 9:27 PM

Post #14 of 28 (27601 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
Hey thanks, yes i'm now on the board. 7th already, great start for me! Oh wait.... What do you mean we haven't started yet!!! Wink

I have also mentioned it on my board... so if anyone does show interest, ok to link?

I'm not able to provide links out from the game webpage, but links in to it are well-ok.

My hacking/programming skills are embryonic to say the very least, and while picking-up .css & .php from absolute scratch has just been a matter of the application of both pattern-recognition and a reasonable amount of logic for me, I can as yet only bend the applications of the algorithms I can see already there, and understand.
The original program-author was a messy-b*gger, which helped me figure a few individual pathways out, believe it or not, however the messiness also hinders, as it makes some parts of the coding quite unfathomable in areas.

If I can hack a bit of existing coding and can build/emplace a new panel to hold it on the page, I may be able to wangle something for outgoing links. I think that I may have encountered all the fragments of code needed, but as yet I'd have no idea how to knit them successfully together.

My position with programming is akin to being asked to build a full-scale copy of The Shard, from scratch - on the basis that I'm familiar with Lego, have watched an episode of Time Team, where they recreated an Iron-Age hovel, and have just been handed the original blueprints for The Shard! Crazy

In other words, it could take me a considerable while. Wink

Inherited by AngusGF

bbcgull
Reserve Team Regular

Jul 23, 2013, 10:00 PM

Post #15 of 28 (27596 views)
Shortcut

Apologies, i did mean.. into it and not outgoing!

burrow
Youth Team Sub

Jul 24, 2013, 9:47 AM

Post #16 of 28 (27565 views)
Shortcut

I'm not sure if I am registered for the prediction league or not as nobody has replied to my post.
I can't find any link on the page where I can register.

All these different languages the world over yet there is only one when you laugh or cry. burrow

Mister TwoU
First Team Star

Jul 24, 2013, 12:36 PM

Post #17 of 28 (27551 views)
Shortcut
Re: [burrow] 2013-14 Non-League Prediction League [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
I'm not sure if I am registered for the prediction league or not as nobody has replied to my post.
I can't find any link on the page where I can register.

I used http://www.nlpl.co.uk/ and then clicked the link to 'Angus's game'.

Professional cretin.

burrow
Youth Team Sub

Jul 24, 2013, 4:51 PM

Post #18 of 28 (27529 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Mister TwoU] 2013-14 Non-League Prediction League [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I was in the prediction league last season and I still have the link in my favourites but I can't find a link anywhere I can register.
My username and password still gets me into the prediction page but it keeps saying I'm not a member of this league.

bbcgull
Reserve Team Regular

Jul 24, 2013, 5:09 PM

Post #19 of 28 (27525 views)
Shortcut
Re: [burrow] 2013-14 Non-League Prediction League [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Rest easy there burrow, i had the same problem a week or so ago when i tried. I am now in properly.

I am sure admin will sort it out for you asap.

(This post was edited by bbcgull on Jul 24, 2013, 5:09 PM)

Mister TwoU
First Team Star

Jul 24, 2013, 5:55 PM

Post #20 of 28 (27520 views)
Shortcut

You have to bring up the Profile page and Join League there?

Professional cretin.

burrow
Youth Team Sub

Jul 25, 2013, 1:44 PM

Post #21 of 28 (27468 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Mister TwoU] 2013-14 Non-League Prediction League [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Thanks for that Mister TwoU
I've edited my profile joining as I did it.

Kernovian
Reserve Team Sub

Jul 26, 2013, 9:22 PM

Post #22 of 28 (27385 views)
Shortcut

I'm updating our "blurb" here, to show the changes we've made to the game.

ROLL-UP! COME JOIN-IN. THIS SITE'S VERY OWN

"MASTERS OF NONLEAGUE" PREDICTION LEAGUE GAME 2013-14

NLM's annual prediction-fest is starting up again very soon and I encourage all of you, both old and new to come and join in the fun. Entry is FREE, and there are several modest prizes to be won!

You can find the main page at http://www.nlpl.co.uk/...able&month=24116 and just follow the simple instructions to register your name/team.

It's dead easy to play: predict a result, win between 5 points for a perfect guess & 'nil points' for getting it completely wrong, but with bonus points all over the show: for getting single scores correct, which team won or if it ended all-square & also for pinning-down the exact goal difference.

We'll choose regular matches for you each game-Week, drawn from Steps One thru' Six in the main part, but 'plumped-up' with lots of Cup/Trophy/Vase matches.

We expect to set a total of over 1000 predictions for you to make over the whole season! But we'll accept as 'serious-players'; i.e. those aiming to win one of our (minimum of) five prizes; anyone who ends up completing just 60% of possible fixtures come the end of the final week of the season.

However, if even that sounds daunting, by all means set up your own private mini-leagues where you and pals can pick and choose subsets of the main list to stick to - with as many or as few fixtures as desired.

Names/Teams are placed in a league table, the order determined by most points first and secondarily by 'goal difference'.

"How," I hear you say, "does goal difference get calculated?".

OK - you are going to win one goal for each correctly guessed team score... and then there's a bonus of twice that actual score, which is added to your total! in other words, correctly predict Team A to hit four goals - you get nine goals-for. Predict Team B to score nil goals and you do get a goals-for amount... but unfortunately that'd be just the single. Shame! lol

Goals against are summed from the differences between each of your guessed team scores and their real scores. Going back to Team A v. Team B (from above) @ 4-0... if you'd guessed 3-1 - your GF/GA column would be altered by 0/2 respectively. Had you predicted 4-2 instead, you'd have gotten 4/2 respectively in your GF/GA columns. It's simpler than it looks and you'll quickly get the hang of it!

For those SERIOUS COMPETITORS (the ones aiming to win prizes), there's an alternative 'simple' league table available (under the 'statistics' button) - which ranks all players by their average points-per-game record - and is the real skill monitor.
It is from the STATISTICS table, that we determine our prize-winners. For the 2012-13 season, 1st. won a copy of the 2014 Non-League Directory, while 2nd. through 5th. respectively, won vouchers for 20, 15, 10 & 5 from a top online football publications Company.

THIS SEASON, WE'RE HOPING TO GET SPONSORSHIP TO INCREASE PRIZE VALUES & NUMBERS!

Inherited by AngusGF

bbcgull
Reserve Team Regular

Jul 26, 2013, 10:58 PM

Post #23 of 28 (27379 views)
Shortcut

Not much i know but i have managed to get one of my members of my 'Comic's' (Roy of the Rovers etc) message board who also enters my Prediction League on there.... to join so i hope we seem him soon...

Kernovian
Reserve Team Sub

Jul 28, 2013, 1:11 PM

Post #24 of 28 (27292 views)
Shortcut

Well done that man!

C'mon guys... let's be having lots more introductions please.

Maybe one of this season's prizes should go to the member who introduces most noobs?

Tell you what. I WILL AWARD AN EXTRA PRIZE for just that (so long as the winner has introduced a minimum of ten noobs, who each complete our 60% number of predictions mark)!

That prize shall be same as 1st.-prize in the actual game - A 2015 Non-League Directory.

In the event that more than one introducer gets the same highest number, then the single-prize will go to the one with best PPG in the game.
Should that winner have completed the game in a 'normal' (1st.-5th.) prize-winning position, then his/her smaller prize would go to the highest number introducer with next-best PPG, and so on.
In event that there's no 2nd./further highest number introducer, under those circumstances the smaller prize would go to 6th.-place in the PPG League Table.

If no-one reaches the ten-intro's mark, yet they have gotten at least six and stand-alone on that number AND between all, at least 40 successful intro's have been made... I may still make an award equivalent to one of the 'normal' (1st.-5th.) prizes, starting with the 5 voucher at six intro's. There will ONLY BE one prize awarded for introductions.

To be acknowledged as having made an introduction, the noob so introduced MUST make themselves known to me by SHOUT before Dec. 1st. AND obviously state who introduced him/her. I'll keep a regular tally of these and periodically update by SHOUT.

**NB** We cannot prevent 'clever-dicks' from inventing dozens of 'aliases' with respect to this recruitment-drive competition... but just before someone thinks, "Great idea", let me remind all - each 'noob' HAS TO finish 60% of what I'm expecting to be some 1200 available predictions, in order to qualify for this.
While maybe one or two of them may very well subsist quite heavily reliant on Default Scores, we're NOT about to accept any noobs for this purpose which in our opinion rely far too heavily on Default Scores. i.e. any noobs with >40% default scores among those thy HAVE predicted will simply not be counted!
If you enter ten extra times, it'll mean spending the season filling in AT VERY LEAST 7920 realistic-looking predictions - an estimated minimum of 12-odd hours per week for six-months of the season - or equivalent over nine-months!
I guess, if you do do that, you'll have worked hard for it... and could quite easily be 'pipped' at the end anyhow. Rather you, than me!

I think that covers all eventualities, but if I've been unclear or if I've left a question hanging about these rules... or indeed ANY game rules - be sure to ASK!

Inherited by AngusGF

bbcgull
Reserve Team Regular

Aug 2, 2013, 9:44 PM

Post #25 of 28 (26996 views)
Shortcut

Good luck everybody....

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

The Soccerlinks Hit List

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3