Home: Non-League Football Discussion: Restructuring Discussion:
Midland Combination 2013/14

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

ublades
Junior Team Sub

Jul 10, 2013, 3:07 PM

Post #26 of 47 (7399 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Ancient Wolf] Midland Combination 2013/14 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Does anybody know whats happened to Stretton Eagles... they were in a 17 team division 1 now missing and the division is down to 16 teams?

Ublades

acmold
Man City Transfer Target!

Jul 10, 2013, 4:03 PM

Post #27 of 47 (7364 views)
Shortcut
Re: [ublades] Midland Combination 2013/14 [In reply to] Can't Post or

Folded yesterday according to Tweets, couple I "lifted" are below

"Sad to hear that Stretton Eagles have folded but looking forward to a new season with my new club and team mates"

"After Stretton Eagles folding last night I'm sure the papers will be full of free transfer rumours"

GRIFFON
First Team Star

Jul 11, 2013, 11:24 AM

Team(s): Nuneaton Griff

Post #28 of 47 (7247 views)
Shortcut
Re: [acmold] Midland Combination 2013/14 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I am told that although Stretton had done some improvements they still failed the ground grading

ublades
Junior Team Sub

Jul 11, 2013, 12:56 PM

Post #29 of 47 (7206 views)
Shortcut
Re: [GRIFFON] Midland Combination 2013/14 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
I am told that although Stretton had done some improvements they still failed the ground grading

Having been there last season to officiate, no surprise there. Have to admit I wont miss going there

KnowYourMarket

Jul 12, 2013, 11:21 PM

Team(s): WBA, FC Saarbruecken, Brierley Hill Alliance (RIP)

Post #30 of 47 (7002 views)
Shortcut
Re: [ublades] Midland Combination 2013/14 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Is that because of the charming chairman?

Last ground visited(update requested by Spud): Wellington . New grounds 18/19: 38

yorkieexile
First Team Star

Jul 15, 2013, 8:50 AM

Team(s): Halifax, Groundhopper

Post #31 of 47 (6824 views)
Shortcut
Re: [KnowYourMarket] Midland Combination 2013/14 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Almost made Steve Evans sound charming!

Bantam Cymraeg
Chelsea Transfer Target

Jul 16, 2013, 8:06 PM

Team(s): Bradford City

Post #32 of 47 (6638 views)
Shortcut
Re: [GRIFFON] Midland Combination 2013/14 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Apparently Alvis will be at Coventry Copsewood until their lights are ready.

August's Prem Div fixtures are now on Full Time, and all Alvis's 6 games are away!

GRIFFON
First Team Star

Jul 17, 2013, 8:42 AM

Post #33 of 47 (6518 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Bantam Cymraeg] Midland Combination 2013/14 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

That is because Copsewood cannot play at home because of cricket!!!
I think you will find their early fixtures are also away and why they do not enter the F.A. Cup.

Bantam Cymraeg
Chelsea Transfer Target

Jul 17, 2013, 6:55 PM

Team(s): Bradford City

Post #34 of 47 (6407 views)
Shortcut

Hmm. Groundsharing at the start of the season with a team who can't use their ground at the start of the season. Who thought that sounded like a good idea? Crazy

colin
Youth Team Regular

Jul 17, 2013, 8:27 PM

Post #35 of 47 (6379 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Bantam Cymraeg] Midland Combination 2013/14 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Hmm. Groundsharing at the start of the season with a team who can't use their ground at the start of the season. Who thought that sounded like a good idea? Crazy

Just like Causeway United in recent seasons, until their move back to Halesowen this season.

Ostrich
First Team Sub

Aug 2, 2013, 10:00 PM

Post #36 of 47 (6104 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Ancient Wolf] Midland Combination 2013/14 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Rumours that Archdale 73 in Div.1 have folded??

http://www.mfctalk.co.uk/...iewtopic.php?t=57008

GRIFFON
First Team Star

Aug 4, 2013, 9:00 AM

Post #37 of 47 (5951 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Ostrich] Midland Combination 2013/14 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Archdale have indeed folded, it is on the MFC website.

Ancient Wolf
Reserve Team Regular

Aug 13, 2013, 11:09 PM

Team(s): Middlesbrough and Norton and Stockton Ancients

Post #38 of 47 (5722 views)
Shortcut

Coventry United will play at the Alan Higgs Centre on Allard Way this season as shown on the club's website.
Midland Combination website directory pdf hasn't been updated yet but venue is showing on the league's full time site.
1st home game August 31st v Enville (lge)
Happy about that as it's a new ground for me.

leohoenig
Administrator

Aug 14, 2013, 9:05 PM

Team(s): Cheltenham Town

Post #39 of 47 (5620 views)
Shortcut

The Alan Higgs Trust are part owners of Arena Coventry, and Coventry City have been kicked out of the centre as well, if this report is anything to go by

http://www.coventrytelegraph.net/...e-alan-higgs-4870037

Fat AND Pompous.
The proof that you can have too much of a good thing
Now blogging at http://www.leohoenig.com

acmold

Oct 16, 2013, 2:00 PM

Post #40 of 47 (5255 views)
Shortcut
Re: [leohoenig] Midland Combination 2013/14 [In reply to] Can't Post or

Rugeley Rangers have gone from Division Two according to Mid Comb website, must be quite recent as they are listed as having a fixture in this weeks Traveller

Hitchin-John
First Team Sub

Oct 18, 2013, 3:12 PM

Team(s): Hitchin Town

Post #41 of 47 (5085 views)
Shortcut
Re: [acmold] Midland Combination 2013/14 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Fixture deleted and all records expunged from league table.

London Harrier
Chelsea Transfer Target

Dec 14, 2014, 7:57 PM

Post #42 of 47 (4005 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To

In Reply To

In Reply To
Coventry Spartans fc have renamed as coventry united fc and will stay
In midland combination div 2 for 2013/14

According to the local press Coventry United are actually a brand new club formed in protest at the possibility of CCFC being moved out of the city........

Spartans were a "break away" club from Amateurs who had left the Mid Comb and took their reserves place in the Stratford Alliance. The Spartans had sort of "connection" with Coventry City . That was what I was told when I visited in 2012. This came up before in reference to Spartans who had told the Mid Comb they were a continuation Amateurs when in fact Amateurs still existed. Maybe this time it is easier to say they are a new club.

I see Coventry Amateurs are still in the Stratford Alliance?

Do Coventry Spartans still exist? I've checked the FA Full Time website and can't see any record of them.

I'm trying to trace back to the old Coventry Sporting FC (they who beat Tranmere Rovers) and it could be argued one or both of these clubs is a very loose descendant.

www.coventrycity-mad.co.uk/feat/ed12/coventry_amateurs_back_again_395444/index.shtml

Richard Rundle

Dec 14, 2014, 8:55 PM

Post #43 of 47 (3972 views)
Shortcut
Re: [London Harrier] Midland Combination 2013/14 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

The ashes of Coventry Sporting will have been very cold indeed, claiming any sort of connection to a club that folded nearly twenty years ago is stretching things to (and in my opinion way beyond) the limit

GRIFFON
First Team Star

Dec 15, 2014, 8:49 AM

Post #44 of 47 (3776 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Richard Rundle] Midland Combination 2013/14 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

There was a connection with the old club, a committeeman who 'had a dream' and he started the new club under the old name. After a while a split occurred and one lot went with Amateurs into the Stratford Alliance and the others with more ambition created Spartans and stayed in the MFL, eventually they folded.

acmold

Dec 15, 2014, 4:38 PM

Post #45 of 47 (3599 views)
Shortcut
Re: [GRIFFON] Midland Combination 2013/14 [In reply to] Can't Post or

In Reply To
There was a connection with the old club, a committeeman who 'had a dream' and he started the new club under the old name. After a while a split occurred and one lot went with Amateurs into the Stratford Alliance and the others with more ambition created Spartans and stayed in the MFL, eventually they folded.

Spartans became Coventry United and last season their reserves were playing as Coventry Spartans in the Coventry Alliance according the United chairman.

GRIFFON
First Team Star

Dec 16, 2014, 9:14 AM

Post #46 of 47 (3393 views)
Shortcut

Well presumably he should know!
The information at the time was that some supporters of Coventry City, disenchanted with their team playing in Northampton, wanted their own club playing in the city and so Coventry United was formed. As the year of formation is the same as Spartans quite possibly they more or less took over Spartans and although the Secretary is the same the colour and ground have been changed.
Coventry United Reserves are members of the Midland League Reserve Division Two this season.

acmold

Dec 16, 2014, 10:48 AM

Post #47 of 47 (3368 views)
Shortcut
Re: [GRIFFON] Midland Combination 2013/14 [In reply to] Can't Post or

It was mentioned at the time United even took over the friendly fixtures of Spartans at the start of last season.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3