Non League Matters - The Continuation of Tonys english Football Site 

Main Index MAIN
INDEX
Search Posts SEARCH
IN

THIS FORUM IS NOW READ ONLY - PLEASE HEAD OVER TO THE NEW FORUM HERE (CLICK LINK) TO REGISTER A NEW ACCOUNT - THANKS

Home: Archive: Other British Isles Football:
Edinburgh / Glasgow question

Matty
Reserve Team Star

May 23, 2013, 11:04 AM

Team(s): All things Derbyshire

Post #1 of 10 (7151 views)
Shortcut
Edinburgh / Glasgow question Can't Post or Reply Privately

Has anyone tried to form a non sectarion club to represent these cities or is that a daft sassenach question.

In the womens game it seems to have worked to an extent

Northumbrian
Reserve Team Sub

May 23, 2013, 11:21 AM

Team(s): Ponteland Utd, Newcastle Utd

Post #2 of 10 (7147 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Matty] Edinburgh / Glasgow question [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Yes - Partick Thistle in 1876.

jon b
Chelsea Transfer Target

May 23, 2013, 1:45 PM

Team(s): SUFC, SWFC etc

Post #3 of 10 (7126 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Northumbrian] Edinburgh / Glasgow question [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Ah, the Jags. Known to Billy Connolly as Partick Thistle Nil.

Leyther_Matt
First Team Star

May 23, 2013, 2:06 PM

Team(s): Hibernian, Bolton Wanderers, Atherton Collieries & Leigh Centurions RL

Post #4 of 10 (7115 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Matty] Edinburgh / Glasgow question [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Has anyone tried to form a non sectarion club to represent these cities or is that a daft sassenach question.

In the womens game it seems to have worked to an extent

Hibs have been 'non-sectarian' since 1892, so I'm not sure what your point is?

"In a major departure from the old set up these men decided that a new Hibernian would exist for the benefit of the whole community of Edinburgh and Leith and not, as in the past, solely for the Catholics. The new Club would be run as a business and the team would be open to any player, regardless of religious background as it would be to anyone who wanted to support it."

Mishi
Man City Transfer Target!

May 23, 2013, 3:49 PM

Team(s): Dulwich Hamlet

Post #5 of 10 (7101 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Leyther_Matt] Edinburgh / Glasgow question [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

But, in practice, has it actually worked like that? I know nothing about Edinburgh football, but like many I assumed that Herts & Hibs were a 'poor mans version' of Rangers & Celtic.

Are the support bases based on sectarian/relgious line between the Edinbugh big two, regardless of players faiths?

Grounds visited: 745
Last new ground:Horsham FC; The Camping World Community Stadium, Horsham, West Sussex. (Isthmian League Premier Division)
Last game: Saturday 21st September 2019: Dulwich Hamlet 6, Bognor Regis Town 1. [ FA Cup 2nd qualifying round]
Matches watched this season: 46
2017/18-New English grounds: 7 & foreign: 0

Leyther_Matt
First Team Star

May 23, 2013, 3:59 PM

Team(s): Hibernian, Bolton Wanderers, Atherton Collieries & Leigh Centurions RL

Post #6 of 10 (7096 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Mishi] Edinburgh / Glasgow question [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
But, in practice, has it actually worked like that? I know nothing about Edinburgh football, but like many I assumed that Herts & Hibs were a 'poor mans version' of Rangers & Celtic.

Are the support bases based on sectarian/relgious line between the Edinbugh big two, regardless of players faiths?

I would saw the support bases are drawn almost entirely on geographical lines. This topic crops up on Hibs forums from time to time, largely because of inaccurate press reports (the one where the Celtic CEO said "Hibs are just as bad" after the poppy 'protest' springs to mind), and religion quite simply isn't even on the radar. Thankfully it seems that the vast, vast majority are happy to leave all that nonsense to the bigot brothers in the west.

IAN S
First Team Star

May 23, 2013, 5:12 PM

Team(s): Sheffield United, Sheffield Eagles, Kendal Town

Post #7 of 10 (7082 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jon b] Edinburgh / Glasgow question [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Also known for the unfurling of the "flag" and probably one of the best songs in football, although can't repeat it here, I'd probably be banned!!

We'll be, as we are, when all the fools who doubt us fade away.

dottirofhod

May 23, 2013, 5:17 PM

Team(s): Crewe Alex and obviously England.(Unlike a lot on here)

Post #8 of 10 (7081 views)
Shortcut
Re: [IAN S] Edinburgh / Glasgow question [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Also known for the unfurling of the "flag" and probably one of the best songs in football, although can't repeat it here, I'd probably be banned!!

Go on Mr Blunt.

July 1, 2019 to June 30,2020 = 127 / 107 / 20 / 5 x 0-0's. (You know my rules) @ 07 / 12 / 2019 . Belgium top 5 tiers 0-0-0-(0-1-0)-(0-1-1-2) / Holland top 4 tiers - 0-0-0-(0-0) / Lux top 2 tiers 0 -2. England top 10 tiers - 0. Now blogging at https://eccentricity.video.blog/

wishmaster3211
First Team Star

May 23, 2013, 8:34 PM

Team(s): Calne Town, Darlington, Rosenborg, Sussex CCC, Huddersfield RL

Post #9 of 10 (7062 views)
Shortcut

In reality the Glasgow two are the only two Sectarian Clubs. When I lived in Edinburgh in the 80s Rangers were still signing only non-Catholics. Hard to believe I know. Elsewhere, on my second visit to Hibs someone unfurled a tricolour with "IRA" on it. They were set upon and dealt with before Stewards/Police got there, amidst a chorus of boo's. That says it all really....

Other Clubs had religious origins such as the two Dundee ones. Probably also exists in non-league but I don't know anything about that, doubtless someone else does.

If religion is a factor now its co-incidental. Of course certain places and certain areas within the cities are predominantly one or the other Religion but it isn't the reason people support that Club. Hibs' decision to go non-sectarian was actually seen as quite brave and forward thinking at the time.

"Run For the Hills Before They Burn"

Checkout my Facebook page "Proper Football Grounds"

facebook.com/paul.fergusson

(This post was edited by wishmaster3211 on May 23, 2013, 8:39 PM)

prorege

May 25, 2013, 7:29 PM

Team(s): Fife teams

Post #10 of 10 (6962 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Mishi] Edinburgh / Glasgow question [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

Support is largely geographical. Hearts support marginally more sectarian but it's not a big issue. A good friend of mine was a Church of Scotland Minister in Craigentinny, near Easter Road. She couldn't have have Kirk Session meetings on nights when Hibs were playing because all the Elders were Hibs season ticket holders.

(This post was edited by prorege on May 25, 2013, 7:33 PM)

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3