Stourbridge Promotion denied?

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

BrakesBrother
Junior Team Regular

Apr 2, 2013, 7:29 PM

Post #1 of 42 (5671 views)
Shortcut
Stourbridge Promotion denied? Can't Post or Reply Privately

Read on the Leamington forum that the conference have denied Stourbridge entry to the conference N if they get promoted.
Apparently because they are not able to start playing at their ground until September and not after April, it's unacceptable to them and if they finish in a SL play off position they will not be allowed to compete.
Only a rumour but wouldn't be shocked as the conference are real sticklers.

VP
Man City Transfer Target!

Apr 2, 2013, 8:18 PM

Post #2 of 42 (5647 views)
Shortcut
Re: [BrakesBrother] Stourbridge Promotion denied? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

This could be interesting.
For starters, the FA direct teams to leagues now so, theoretically, the Conference can't refuse clubs that have the grading. If they do refuse Stourbridge would the FA buckle or would they put their foot down and tell the Conference they're accepting them?
There's nothing in the ground grading documents or the FA's standardised rules that says a club must be able to host matches in August and/or May so, as far as I'm aware, there's no rule the Conference can point to to exclude Stourbridge or anyone else.
If this does become an issue I'd expect a new rule to be inserted for next season.

(This post was edited by VP on Apr 2, 2013, 8:21 PM)

BrakesBrother
Junior Team Regular

Apr 2, 2013, 8:25 PM

Post #3 of 42 (5637 views)
Shortcut
Re: [VP] Stourbridge Promotion denied? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
For starters, the FA direct teams to leagues now so, theoretically, the Conference can't refuse clubs that have the grading. If they do refuse Stourbridge would the FA buckle or would they put their foot down and tell the Conference they're accepting them?
There's nothing in the ground grading documents or the FA's standardised rules that says a club must be able to host matches in August and/or May so, as far as I'm aware, there's no rule the Conference can point to to exclude Stourbridge or anyone else.
If this does become an issue I'd expect a new rule to be inserted for next season.

It's a strange one, because in reality they would have to groundshare with a club for August, and if there is no groundsharing agreement in place by 31st March couldn't that be an issue?

VP

Apr 2, 2013, 8:32 PM

Post #4 of 42 (5621 views)
Shortcut
Re: [BrakesBrother] Stourbridge Promotion denied? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

In Reply To

It's a strange one, because in reality they would have to groundshare with a club for August, and if there is no groundsharing agreement in place by 31st March couldn't that be an issue?

I suppose that's a possible issue. Of course, most leagues just fit the fixtures around pitch availability when cricket is played on the same ground but I can see that there has to be a cut off point somewhere. You can't really expect a professional club to not be in the position to host home games in August so I wouldn't expect it to be possible at step 1, step 2 is borderline in my opinion. Below that - fine. I don't think clubs should be forced into a groundshare for a month each season.

(This post was edited by VP on Apr 2, 2013, 8:40 PM)

AnotherGlassboy
First Team Sub

Apr 2, 2013, 8:58 PM

Team(s): Stourbridge FC

Post #5 of 42 (5598 views)
Shortcut
Re: [VP] Stourbridge Promotion denied? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

In Reply To

In Reply To

I suppose that's a possible issue. Of course, most leagues just fit the fixtures around pitch availability when cricket is played on the same ground but I can see that there has to be a cut off point somewhere. You can't really expect a professional club to not be in the position to host home games in August so I wouldn't expect it to be possible at step 1, step 2 is borderline in my opinion. Below that - fine. I don't think clubs should be forced into a groundshare for a month each season.

First things first - I have no inside info on this rumour at all so can't add much, or indeed anything, either way.

On the subject of Leagues "working round" ground availability when planning fixtures, the SL made it clear when Stourbridge were promoted from the MFA in 2006 that we would not be granted any concessions in relation to our August fixtures. We would be treated like any other club and if Amblecote was not available for a game then we would have to find an alternative venue. As a club we knew that from day 1, accepted it, and have never argued about it.

We have, however, tried to do what we can to minimise the need to play games away from Amblecote. Some August midweek games have been played at "home" over the last three seasons with co-operation from the cricket club. We have also been able to move August Bank Holiday games to the following night (v Halesowen last season) and the Monday evening (v Barwell this season) with agreement from the opposition. This in itself has been a welcome "relaxation" from the SL as we had for the first couple of years not been allowed to budge from 3pm on the Monday even when the opposition were happy to do so.

Should that kind of arrangement be tolerated at step 2? I would say yes, but then I would, wouldn't I? Divorcing myself from the fact that it's my club involved, I can see the arguments both ways.

(This post was edited by AnotherGlassboy on Apr 2, 2013, 9:05 PM)

northstandexile
First Team Star

Apr 4, 2013, 12:10 PM

Team(s): Mansfield Town

Post #6 of 42 (5297 views)
Shortcut

I am sure that this was first posted on 1st April. Wink

oftenscore6
Chelsea Transfer Target

Apr 4, 2013, 2:08 PM

Team(s): FCUM, MUFC, Hammarby, St Pauli, Hawthorn (AFL)

Post #7 of 42 (5227 views)
Shortcut
Re: [AnotherGlassboy] Stourbridge Promotion denied? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

In Reply To

In Reply To

In Reply To

First things first - I have no inside info on this rumour at all so can't add much, or indeed anything, either way.

On the subject of Leagues "working round" ground availability when planning fixtures, the SL made it clear when Stourbridge were promoted from the MFA in 2006 that we would not be granted any concessions in relation to our August fixtures. We would be treated like any other club and if Amblecote was not available for a game then we would have to find an alternative venue. As a club we knew that from day 1, accepted it, and have never argued about it.

We have, however, tried to do what we can to minimise the need to play games away from Amblecote. Some August midweek games have been played at "home" over the last three seasons with co-operation from the cricket club. We have also been able to move August Bank Holiday games to the following night (v Halesowen last season) and the Monday evening (v Barwell this season) with agreement from the opposition. This in itself has been a welcome "relaxation" from the SL as we had for the first couple of years not been allowed to budge from 3pm on the Monday even when the opposition were happy to do so.

Should that kind of arrangement be tolerated at step 2? I would say yes, but then I would, wouldn't I? Divorcing myself from the fact that it's my club involved, I can see the arguments both ways.

As a fan of another club which groundshares, we haven't been able to play all our games at our usual venue either. Before the NPL switched to the fixture computer, all of our home games were when Bury were away, but this hasn't been possible since. After a season of forcing us to play midweek home fixtures instead of Saturday ones, the NPL have let us play at alternative venues for the last few seasons, when Gigg Lane is unavailable. We have competed in the NPP playoffs the last 2 years without any suggestion we would not be allowed up to step 2 - I can't see any difference for Stourbridge that it's cricket rather than another team. As Northstandred says, I presume this story made an April 1st debut?

-----------------------------------------------
Last new football ground (965) Havey Hadden Stadium Bilborough Town 4-6 Rainworth MW
With FC United: 135
On the agenda:
23/11 Runcorn Linnets v FC United
29/11 Drochtersen/Assel v Altona

AnotherGlassboy
First Team Sub

Apr 4, 2013, 2:21 PM

Post #8 of 42 (5215 views)
Shortcut
Re: [oftenscore6] Stourbridge Promotion denied? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

First posted on our forum at 3.51 pm on Tuesday 2nd April, but of course the person who posted it could have been told it as an April Fool the previous day and accepted it "in good faith".

However, the same rumour was posted on the SL forum in mid-March, without gaining too much traction at that time.

I wish I was able to dismiss it so casually!

FCUM's situation is no different from Gloucester's surely, so there can hardly be any objection to that? The degree and materiality to which our situation differs is debatable - but it differs all the same. That much I cannot deny.

(This post was edited by AnotherGlassboy on Apr 4, 2013, 2:23 PM)

Swindon Addick
Reserve Team Regular

Apr 7, 2013, 12:34 PM

Team(s): Cambridge City, Charlton Athletic

Post #9 of 42 (4865 views)
Shortcut
Re: [AnotherGlassboy] Stourbridge Promotion denied? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I can't quote the exact rule, but from memory I think that clubs who groundshare with another sport are expected to have priority over fixtures, while those who groundshare with another football club are expected to give priority to the club at the higher level. So FCUM would be OK but Stourbridge wouldn't.

I'm sure this will have been asked before, but what did Northampton Town used to do when they shared the County Ground?

Cambridge City - on a tour of places we've never heard of and can't spell.

acmold

Apr 7, 2013, 12:58 PM

Post #10 of 42 (4854 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Swindon Addick] Stourbridge Promotion denied? [In reply to] Can't Post or

Northampton played second fiddle to the Cricket, also what about Sheffield United 40 or so years ago.

chienmort
First Team Sub

Apr 7, 2013, 1:59 PM

Team(s): Poole Town FC, Queens Park RANGERS.

Post #11 of 42 (4824 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Swindon Addick] Stourbridge Promotion denied? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

The rules do change season by season but the previous poster was right in that Football must take precedence. You might not like it but it is there in black and white.

Poole Town FC - les couilles du chien

AnotherGlassboy
First Team Sub

Apr 7, 2013, 5:28 PM

Post #12 of 42 (4754 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Swindon Addick] Stourbridge Promotion denied? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
I can't quote the exact rule, but from memory I think that clubs who groundshare with another sport are expected to have priority over fixtures, while those who groundshare with another football club are expected to give priority to the club at the higher level. So FCUM would be OK but Stourbridge wouldn't.

I'm sure this will have been asked before, but what did Northampton Town used to do when they shared the County Ground?

Who has priority at Rodney Parade? Not a trick question - I honestly don't know and am curious.

acmold

Apr 7, 2013, 6:23 PM

Post #13 of 42 (4727 views)
Shortcut
Re: [AnotherGlassboy] Stourbridge Promotion denied? [In reply to] Can't Post or

This came up when London Welsh wanted to share with Oxford United at the first the Rugby authorities wanted London Welsh to have first option, which of course they could not as Oxford United were already in situ. In the case of Rugby shares appear to be allowed as long as it is acceptable to both parties, someone has to play on a Friday or a Sunday.

AnotherGlassboy
First Team Sub

Apr 7, 2013, 7:20 PM

Post #14 of 42 (4703 views)
Shortcut
Re: [acmold] Stourbridge Promotion denied? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

So is it the case that Newport County sometimes have to give way to the Rugby club? If so, then I don't see how that differs one iota from Stourbridge's situation.

Bullet Header
First Team Sub

Apr 7, 2013, 11:08 PM

Post #15 of 42 (4592 views)
Shortcut
Re: [chienmort] Stourbridge Promotion denied? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
The rules do change season by season but the previous poster was right in that Football must take precedence. You might not like it but it is there in black and white.

Is it? Doesn't it just say: (a) own the freehold of the ground, or (b) As at 31 March in any year, have a lease for the ground that extends for a minimum of the next full playing season, or (c) possess an agreement for the use of the ground which is acceptable to The Football Association and The Football Conference or the league of which it is a member.

Or am I looking in the wrong place?

Newport County do have first call on Rodney Parade and most rugby matches get played on a Friday or Sunday if there is a clash with the football.

kirby knitters
Qatar World Cup bid member!

Apr 12, 2013, 5:49 AM

Team(s): Hinckley United FC.

Post #16 of 42 (4228 views)
Shortcut

The silence is deafening,there is nothing to confirm or deny the rumblings on the official site or forum,all this whilst the team is winning most games.

A friend of the chairman at Barwell FC is under the impression 'something is happening'and its not necessarily good.If i was a Stourbridge fan id be going crazy.

ladderman

Apr 17, 2013, 9:12 PM

Team(s): Bishop's Stortford & Cambridge United

Post #17 of 42 (3906 views)
Shortcut
Re: [kirby knitters] Stourbridge Promotion denied? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Any news on this? I’m about to write my monthly “we wanna’ go home” column for our programme. Deadline’s tomorrow, this is big-time journalism…

AnotherGlassboy
First Team Sub

Apr 18, 2013, 7:09 AM

Post #18 of 42 (3799 views)
Shortcut
Re: [ladderman] Stourbridge Promotion denied? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Any news on this? I’m about to write my monthly “we wanna’ go home” column for our programme. Deadline’s tomorrow, this is big-time journalism…

I tried to send you a PM last night with my own thoughts, but I gather you don't accept them.

I know nothing official, and not much more unofficial. We are now guaranteed to finish 2nd (a miracle could still see us win the League), and the play-offs begin in 12 days.

I can email you something if you want to PM me an email address but much of it will be guesswork and assumption as well as being off the record.

ladderman

Apr 18, 2013, 7:44 AM

Team(s): Bishop's Stortford & Cambridge United

Post #19 of 42 (3787 views)
Shortcut

I do accept PMs, even abuse ones! I'll PM you and we'll see if you can answer it.

I presume that they've accepted your ground if nothing's been said by now. Though perhaps that's a dangerous assumption.

kirby knitters

Apr 18, 2013, 9:45 AM

Post #20 of 42 (3751 views)
Shortcut
Re: [ladderman] Stourbridge Promotion denied? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
I do accept PMs, even abuse ones! I'll PM you and we'll see if you can answer it.

I presume that they've accepted your ground if nothing's been said by now. Though perhaps that's a dangerous assumption.

Tim off this site(Stourbridge fan)has already put his play off game in against opponents unknown for 30/4 on the WAYG section so i assume they have got the go ahead

Mr. T
Chelsea Transfer Target

Apr 18, 2013, 10:50 AM

Post #21 of 42 (3723 views)
Shortcut
Re: [kirby knitters] Stourbridge Promotion denied? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

A posting on the Stourbridge forum in March confirmed that the club had received its 'C' grading, which is enough for promotion.

The fixture priority business apparently surfaced last season at the same time. Some forum members think it was no more than a genuine enquiry that has since turned into a bit of mischief.

kirby knitters

Apr 18, 2013, 11:02 AM

Post #22 of 42 (3715 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Mr. T] Stourbridge Promotion denied? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Thank you Mr.T for the comformation tho the mischief making wasnt helped by the Leamington forum(even tho it did appear on 1/4!!)

stourboy
First Team Star

Apr 18, 2013, 2:29 PM

Team(s): Stourbridge FC, Sheffield Wednesday

Post #23 of 42 (3620 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
The silence is deafening,there is nothing to confirm or deny the rumblings on the official site or forum,all this whilst the team is winning most games.

A friend of the chairman at Barwell FC is under the impression 'something is happening'and its not necessarily good.If i was a Stourbridge fan id be going crazy.

Not going crazy; nothing to worry about some internet troll.

kirby knitters

Apr 18, 2013, 6:16 PM

Post #24 of 42 (3536 views)
Shortcut
Re: [stourboy] Stourbridge Promotion denied? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Well thats good news and i genuinely wish you all the best in your quest for BSN football but i fear you may have to beat our neighbour's from hell to achieve it.They have taken to bullying brute force tactics so beware!!!

stourboy
First Team Star

Apr 19, 2013, 12:05 PM

Team(s): Stourbridge FC, Sheffield Wednesday

Post #25 of 42 (3381 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
Well thats good news and i genuinely wish you all the best in your quest for BSN football but i fear you may have to beat our neighbour's from hell to achieve it.They have taken to bullying brute force tactics so beware!!!

Thanks a lot, but yeah I'm worried sick about Barwell more than anyone else in the playoff semis - don't think I'll be able to face coming back for the home semifinal as I will be so worried Frown

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3