INDEX
Search Posts SEARCH
IN

Home: Non Football Related: General Chat:
Punxsutawney Phil 'indicted' in Ohio over spring prediction

dottirofhod
Man City Transfer Target!

Apr 2, 2013, 11:38 AM

Team(s): Crewe Alex and obviously England.(Unlike a lot on here)

Post #1 of 8 (890 views)
Shortcut
Punxsutawney Phil 'indicted' in Ohio over spring prediction Can't Post or Reply Privately

Bloody weathermen !
22 March 2013. Punxsutawney Phil 'indicted' in Ohio over spring prediction
Punxsutawney Phil may now wish he was back in hibernation

Authorities in the US state of Ohio have issued an "indictment" against Punxsutawney Phil, the groundhog famed for predicting spring's arrival, after he got it wrong this year.
The groundhog forecast an early spring when he did not see his shadow as he emerged from hibernation on 2 February.
But tongue-in-cheek prosecutors in Ohio's Butler County accuse the rodent of deliberately misleading the public.
They say such a felony should be punished by death.
"Punxsutawney Phil did purposely, and with prior calculation and design, cause the people to believe that spring would come early," wrote Mike Gmoser, Butler County prosecutor, in an official-looking paper.'Very harsh'
He added the wrong prediction amounted to a felony "against the peace and dignity of the state of Ohio".
But Bill Deeley, president of the club that organises Groundhog Day, said Phil has a lawyer and would fight attempted extradition by the Ohio authorities.
He added the death penalty would be a "very harsh" punishment for the much-loved rodent.
"We'll have to plead our case one way or the other, but I think we can beat the rap," Mr Deeley said.
There has been much chatter on social media about Phil's incorrect prediction that spring would come early.
Temperatures in the region remain low, with a storm due on Sunday that could bring several inches of snow with it.
Each year thousands of people visit the tiny western Pennsylvania town of Punxsutawney, depicted in the 1993 comedy Groundhog Day, to witness Phil's prognostication.

July 1, 2019 to June 30,2020 = 69 / 59 / 10 / inc 2 x 0-0's. (You know my rules) @ 19 / 09 / 2019.
2019/20. Benelux = Bel = 0-0-0-(0-0-0)-(0-2-1-1)/ Lux = 0-2 / Neth = 0-0-0-(1 - 2) Others France = 0-0 / Germany =0-0-0 / Italy =0-3(Act 4- Frosinone new ground)./ Iberia = P = 0-1 & S = 0-0.

Now blogging at https://eccentricity.video.blog/

DonQuixote
Chelsea Transfer Target

Apr 2, 2013, 11:53 AM

Team(s): Romford, Everton, @BrentwoodSunLge

Post #2 of 8 (882 views)
Shortcut
Re: [dottirofhod] Punxsutawney Phil 'indicted' in Ohio over spring prediction [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

We don't need a rat in Romford to predict the weather...one can tell by the length
of the girls' skirts and as for Gobbler's Knob (who on earth called it that?), we
have our very own at the back of the station Blush

FA Vase semi programme wanted: 2001 Taunton v Clitheroe.

(This post was edited by DonQuixote on Apr 3, 2013, 2:09 AM)

Andrelux
First Team Regular

Apr 2, 2013, 9:00 PM

Team(s): Brentford (for my sins - obviously done something really bad in a past life

Post #3 of 8 (842 views)
Shortcut
Re: [DonQuixote] Punxsutawney Phil 'indicted' in Ohio over spring prediction [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
We don't need a rat in Romford to predict the weather...one can tell by the length
of the girls' skirts and as for Gobbler's Knob (who on earthed called it that?), we
have our very own at the back of the station Blush

Further north of course, and length of girls skirts is no indication whatsoever. Nor are short sleeved shirts for the boys.

Essentially, the only thing you can work out is that it's Saturday night. Could be December, could be August. Could be in the middle of a heatwave or of a snowstorm. But Saturday night is Saturday night.

Incidentally, Punxsutawney Phil has been shown to have no more than 37% accuracy in predicting the arrival of spring. Pretty close to random, but still much better than Chester Shareen, the height of whose skirt is in no ways any indication of the weather.

colpic
Chelsea Transfer Target

Apr 2, 2013, 9:55 PM

Team(s): Scotter United (Scunthorpe League), AFC Telford(home town club),

Post #4 of 8 (821 views)
Shortcut
Re: [dottirofhod] Punxsutawney Phil 'indicted' in Ohio over spring prediction [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Fortunately for Phil, he has a good insurance agent. Am I right?

Where's the 'ignore this poster' button?

dottirofhod

Apr 2, 2013, 11:23 PM

Team(s): Crewe Alex and obviously England.(Unlike a lot on here)

Post #5 of 8 (807 views)
Shortcut
Re: [colpic] Punxsutawney Phil 'indicted' in Ohio over spring prediction [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

Ned , 'Bing'.
How's the whistling belly button trick ?

July 1, 2019 to June 30,2020 = 69 / 59 / 10 / inc 2 x 0-0's. (You know my rules) @ 19 / 09 / 2019.
2019/20. Benelux = Bel = 0-0-0-(0-0-0)-(0-2-1-1)/ Lux = 0-2 / Neth = 0-0-0-(1 - 2) Others France = 0-0 / Germany =0-0-0 / Italy =0-3(Act 4- Frosinone new ground)./ Iberia = P = 0-1 & S = 0-0.

Now blogging at https://eccentricity.video.blog/

PonteCarlo
First Team Star

Apr 2, 2013, 11:46 PM

Team(s): Grimsby Town, Pontefract Collieries

Post #6 of 8 (803 views)
Shortcut

I thought he was a God anyway - not 'the' God, but 'a' God.

Proud spectator of real football.

Hop, hop, hopping on heaven's door

acmold

Apr 3, 2013, 9:35 AM

Post #7 of 8 (769 views)
Shortcut
Re: [PonteCarlo] Punxsutawney Phil 'indicted' in Ohio over spring prediction [In reply to] Can't Post or

A bet a Groundhog Groundhop would not have many takers.

colpic
Chelsea Transfer Target

Apr 3, 2013, 12:34 PM

Team(s): Scotter United (Scunthorpe League), AFC Telford(home town club),

Post #8 of 8 (752 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To

In Reply To

Ned , 'Bing'.
How's the whistling belly button trick ?

I tried it the other day and it was a doozie!

Where's the 'ignore this poster' button?

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3