Do people collect train tickets?

eesti7
First Team Sub

Jan 14, 2013, 8:11 PM

Team(s): Gillingham, Tonbridge

Post #1 of 15 (1264 views)
Shortcut
Do people collect train tickets? Can't Post or Reply Privately

I've recently collected lots of boxes of stuff from my parents house. Most of it hasn't been looked at for almost a decade and I've surprised myself at the amount of random bits and pieces I've collected over the years from my travels.

This includes a huge pile of train tickets from my trips around the country, mainly watching Gills, in the 1990s and more locally, Tonbridge in the Kent League. In those days I had a Young Persons Railcard so could afford to buy my ticket on the day. They're of no interest to me whatsoever but I couldn't bring myself to chuck those so they've gone in my loft, to be forgotten about for another decade.

But I'm curious to know if anyone actually collects railway tickets, other than from journeys they've actually been on? I remember a ticket seller at Tonbridge station once asked me to keep my Tonbridge-Bescot Stadium tickets for him and he was very pleased when I handed them over a few days later.

If so what do people collect? From a single destination to every other destination? An attempt to collect every possible combination would run into millions, tens of millions if you take in to account the number of stations there were pre-Beeching.

Whiskey Coates
First Team Sub

Jan 14, 2013, 9:00 PM

Team(s): Bridlington Town, Sheffield Wednesday, Scarborough FC.

Post #2 of 15 (1250 views)
Shortcut
Re: [eesti7] Do people collect train tickets? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Somewhere at my parents house there's a ticket for Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch, dating back to the 1950s or 60s. Not sure it has the full place name on or the abbreviated version.

DonQuixote
Chelsea Transfer Target

Jan 14, 2013, 9:09 PM

Team(s): Romford, Everton, @BrentwoodSunLge

Post #3 of 15 (1248 views)
Shortcut
Re: [eesti7] Do people collect train tickets? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I used to give all my old tickets to a guy I worked with as these
were sold on to help pay for preserved line he and others were restoring.

Suppose it's the same as collecting progs...station to station or whatever.
The choice must be endless!

Have you not uncovered that Tonbridge v Carshalton play-off prog for me yet????? Tongue

FA Vase semi programme wanted: 2001 Taunton v Clitheroe.

Chris1963
Man City Transfer Target!

Jan 14, 2013, 10:28 PM

Team(s): Oxford United / Groundhopper

Post #4 of 15 (1229 views)
Shortcut
Re: [DonQuixote] Do people collect train tickets? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I keep all my train tickets (UK or foreign) but only started doing this with the UK ones from the late 1990's. I wish I'd kept those issued up to around 1985 which were of a different design to the uniform red and white ones that have been the only type used since then.

In sentimental terms the one I treasure the most is my first ever Inter-Rail card, which I bought in May 1987, and which is still in pristine condition.
The design changed the following year, so it is possible that the 1987 design (a pocket-sized booklet) was the same as that in 1972 when the Inter-Rail scheme began. Can anyone confirm this?

(This post was edited by Chris1963 on Jan 14, 2013, 10:30 PM)

Mr. T
Chelsea Transfer Target

Jan 14, 2013, 10:59 PM

Post #5 of 15 (1214 views)
Shortcut

If you have any Edmondson card tickets, hang on to them. Even common late BR issues are collectable.

LondonBuck
Chelsea Transfer Target

Jan 15, 2013, 6:02 AM

Team(s): AFC Telford United, Witham Town, Folkestone Invicta, Gillingham, Woking

Post #6 of 15 (1189 views)
Shortcut

YES!
People collect anything.
I keep all my tickets from places I've been to.
Your best bet is to look out for one of the local transport collectors fairs that take place in various towns throughout the year. Sure to be something in your area at some point. There's always people rummaging through boxes of tickets at those.

637 GROUNDS - AFC Fylde(61/92)
582 WETHERSPOONS - Lytham
2 WETHERSPOONS HOTELS - Ripon

kirby knitters
Qatar World Cup bid member!

Jan 15, 2013, 10:03 AM

Team(s): Hinckley United FC.

Post #7 of 15 (1166 views)
Shortcut
Re: [LondonBuck] Do people collect train tickets? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

yes but god nos why,ive a couple of crisp boxes full of the dam things,they are not in any sort of order
how many old leics to bns day returns does one need
thanks to this thread im going to start thinning them out,just keep one destination,problem is how do i do that because im one of the growing band of split your ticket brigade.its probably responsible for me having twice the number i would have.

Mishi

Jan 15, 2013, 10:52 AM

Team(s): Dulwich Hamlet

Post #8 of 15 (1156 views)
Shortcut
Re: [kirby knitters] Do people collect train tickets? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

A mate at work collects them, & I keep the ones from my trips anywhere for him, keeps him sweet when I need to swap Saturdays.

So...if anyone has a bundle lying around they don't want & are going to bin, UK or foreign, then PM me & you can post them to me. In return I'll pop a Dulwich Hamlet programme or two, or something similar, in the post to you...

Grounds visited: 741
Last new ground: Old Roan FC; John Roan Playing Fields; Kidrooke Park Road, London, SE3. (Bromley & South London Football Alliance Division One)
Last game: Tuesday 16th August 2019:Dulwich Hamlet 1, Wealdstone 0. [Vanarama National League South]
Matches watched this season: 17
2017/18-New English grounds: 3; & foreign: 0

Ropemaker

Jan 15, 2013, 12:38 PM

Team(s): Hailsham Town

Post #9 of 15 (1140 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Chris1963] Do people collect train tickets? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
I keep all my train tickets (UK or foreign) but only started doing this with the UK ones from the late 1990's. I wish I'd kept those issued up to around 1985 which were of a different design to the uniform red and white ones that have been the only type used since then.

In sentimental terms the one I treasure the most is my first ever Inter-Rail card, which I bought in May 1987, and which is still in pristine condition.
The design changed the following year, so it is possible that the 1987 design (a pocket-sized booklet) was the same as that in 1972 when the Inter-Rail scheme began. Can anyone confirm this?

I did my first Inter-Rail in 1988. It was a pocket sized booklet then as well.

I recall the design changing about 3/4 years after that (can't recall exactly) to a booklet about three times the size, long and thin like an old seat reservation ticket.

The old tickets also used to come with a counterfoil you could keep safe and get a replacement ticket if you lost your original. A mate who used to work on the railways told me this counterfoil was scrapped when a black market in Inter Rail tickets developed.

Just because you're paranoid, it doesn't mean they're not out to get you.

bakis
Reserve Team Regular

Jan 15, 2013, 5:20 PM

Team(s): Kidderminster Harriers

Post #10 of 15 (1106 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Ropemaker] Do people collect train tickets? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

There is a Transport Ticket Society devoted to this hobby, bus tickets included of course. At one point in the 80s its secretary was a work colleague of mine and its chairman a friend and neighbour, so I ended up conveying messages and the occasional curious looking package. The delight when I brought them back a pile of tickets from a holiday on the Cambrian Coast including some of the smaller stations was a wonder to behold.

prorege

Jan 16, 2013, 11:02 AM

Team(s): Fife teams

Post #11 of 15 (1062 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Chris1963] Do people collect train tickets? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

My first Inter Rail was in 1978. It was a wee booklet then.

I didn't keep it because they actually refunded you a few quid if you handed it in at the end of your trip - not sure why. I seem to recall it cost 59 and you got a fiver back.

oxpete
Chelsea Transfer Target

Jan 17, 2013, 10:16 AM

Team(s): Pompey

Post #12 of 15 (1014 views)
Shortcut
Re: [prorege] Do people collect train tickets? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

The only time I've been Inter-Railing was in November/December 1992 (when a ticket was 180), travelling through France and around Italy for a month while Portsmouth played in that season's Anglo-Italian Cup (lost 0-3 at Bari, won 2-1 at Ascoli). I've still got the ticket and dug it out the other month in an attempt to follow my trip on Google Earth twenty years on.

As for train tickets in general, I used to save them all from my travels and the collection must have peaked out at a couple of thousand by about 2002. However, on noticing that almost half of them were 'Bedhampton to Fratton' day returns, I decided to bin most of them and just saved those with any sentimental value.

Incidentally, does anyone remember when British Rail held a one month special offer (in February 1988, it was), allowing anyone with a student railcard extra-cheap travel? It was, I think, 5 for any trip that would normally cost up to 25, and 10 for any trip that'd normally cost over 25. It was an amazingly generous offer, even by 1980s costs and standards, but I rather foolishly only took advantage of it once, travelling from Swansea to London for 5 to watch West Ham v. Pompey (1-1 draw). On getting back late that night, my Reading-supporting flatmate told me he was about to set off on a 10 return trip from Swansea to THURSO! (and he managed to come back VIA PENZANCE!) Being knackered, I turned down the invitation to accompany him and still regret it to this day...

Ropemaker

Jan 17, 2013, 1:02 PM

Team(s): Hailsham Town

Post #13 of 15 (994 views)
Shortcut
Re: [oxpete] Do people collect train tickets? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Incidentally, does anyone remember when British Rail held a one month special offer (in February 1988, it was), allowing anyone with a student railcard extra-cheap travel? It was, I think, 5 for any trip that would normally cost up to 25, and 10 for any trip that'd normally cost over 25. It was an amazingly generous offer, even by 1980s costs and standards, but I rather foolishly only took advantage of it once, travelling from Swansea to London for 5 to watch West Ham v. Pompey (1-1 draw). On getting back late that night, my Reading-supporting flatmate told me he was about to set off on a 10 return trip from Swansea to THURSO! (and he managed to come back VIA PENZANCE!) Being knackered, I turned down the invitation to accompany him and still regret it to this day...

I'd forgotten all about that one!

It was on for a couple of years but I seem to recall the first February being a bit of a dodgy month weather wise so I didn't get as many trips in as I wanted.

The other thing was the first year it was run if you brought a 15 return from London to Newcastle and then brought a 15 return from Newcastle to London to come back you could do the trip again three weeks later (i.e. in March after the offer had finished) as you had two return halves valid for a calendar month.

The following year BR had cottoned onto that and the reduced tickets were expressly valid for February only!

Now does anyone remember Boots tickets? Spend 5 in Boots, get a voucher and it's buy one, get one free on BR. You had to travel on booked trains and it was subject to the usual availability etc. etc..

I got my railcard discount as well so it was even better!

Just because you're paranoid, it doesn't mean they're not out to get you.

(This post was edited by Ropemaker on Jan 17, 2013, 1:17 PM)

Runwell
Chelsea Transfer Target

Jan 17, 2013, 5:22 PM

Team(s): Team 'Impersonating other Twitter Users' - est. 2011

Post #14 of 15 (973 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Ropemaker] Do people collect train tickets? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Yes I have some going back almost 20 years, but not loads. Mainly to look at the difference in prices. Frown

Last match:
Monday 17th October 2016
Aveley 1-1 Phoenix Sports (Isthmian League Division 1 North)

Next scheduled match:
Tuesday 18th October 2016
Burnham Ramblers v Haringey & Waltham (Essex Senior League)

jrev61

Jan 17, 2013, 8:35 PM

Team(s): None

Post #15 of 15 (951 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To

In Reply To

I'd forgotten all about that one!

It was on for a couple of years but I seem to recall the first February being a bit of a dodgy month weather wise so I didn't get as many trips in as I wanted.

The other thing was the first year it was run if you brought a 15 return from London to Newcastle and then brought a 15 return from Newcastle to London to come back you could do the trip again three weeks later (i.e. in March after the offer had finished) as you had two return halves valid for a calendar month.

The following year BR had cottoned onto that and the reduced tickets were expressly valid for February only!

Now does anyone remember Boots tickets? Spend 5 in Boots, get a voucher and it's buy one, get one free on BR. You had to travel on booked trains and it was subject to the usual availability etc. etc..

I got my railcard discount as well so it was even better!

I think it was February 1986. Because I was watching all Northampton's home games and because of snow I was only able to use it once when I went to Weymouth's old ground. The previous Saturday I had planned to go to Hampden Park for a Queens Park match. I decided not to go due to the bad weather, but the match was played because of under-soil heating!

jrev61

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3