Non League Matters - The Continuation of Tonys english Football Site 

Main Index MAIN
INDEX
Search Posts SEARCH
IN

Home: Non Football Related: General Chat:
Councils filling in subways (underpasses)

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Isaac
Man City Transfer Target!

Jan 12, 2013, 11:41 PM

Team(s): ABMU

Post #26 of 38 (1294 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Oxford Stone] Councils filling in subways (underpasses) [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In my experience about 99% of subways are awful and should be replaced by surface crossings.

timmy tabby
First Team Star

Jan 13, 2013, 6:37 AM

Post #27 of 38 (1284 views)
Shortcut
Re: [UKPunk] Councils filling in subways (underpasses) [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

In Reply To

In Reply To
So you'd fancy your chances walking through Tom Thumb's arch in Bow would you Chris?

http://images.google.co.uk/...=1t:429,r:0,s:0,i:84

Sorry Punky that image is some years out of date and since the picture was taken, the surrounds have been painted and an underfoot lighting system installed at each end and along the sides (disco lights by another name) keeps the entrances and interior illuminated.

Last walked through Tom Thumb Arch on the morning of Friday 4th January 2013 and am still intact.

The arch may have been given a makeover and of course these places are always far safer during the daytime, but pretty ambience doesn't change the kind of people who will use the place for their criminal activities during the hours of darkness.

I'd still rather take my chances with the traffic than an underpass.

Been through Tom Thumb underpass countless times during the twenty three years that I have worked in Tower Hamlets, at various times of the day and never any problems. The difference between Tom Thumb and a municipal underpass in the nether regions of Bracknell is that Tom Thumb is very short and is not under the surface of the ground at any point. In addition there are always people around and street crime in the vicinity of Tom Thumb is almost certainly not very high.

jon b
First Team Star

Jan 13, 2013, 10:02 AM

Team(s): SUFC, SWFC etc

Post #28 of 38 (1271 views)
Shortcut
Re: [mick] Councils filling in subways (underpasses) [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Many subways have been filled in Sheffield and the city centre environment is much better for it. In the one major location where there is still a subway I, and it seems most others, prefer to use the (pre-existing) surface crossing rather than run the gauntlet of beggars in the dismal environment below ground.

Totally agree re Sheffield and it's not just the city centre that is better for it.

Subways were a great idea in theory but in practice had the problems of beggars, muggers and even worse scum than that.

Fanatic
First Team Star

Jan 13, 2013, 11:56 AM

Team(s):

Post #29 of 38 (1259 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jon b] Councils filling in subways (underpasses) [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Ipswich has several subways beneath one of its main roads, and I've never heard of any problems in them during the time I've lived in the town, nor have I ever seen anyone loitering in them.

Sadly the council is in the midst of converting the only roundabout in the town centre with no congestion problems to a traffic light junction, and also filling in the subways underneath it as there will be pedestrian crossings. Personally I favour the subways as I think they are much preferable to standing around waiting for the lights to change.

jrev61

Jan 13, 2013, 12:08 PM

Team(s): None

Post #30 of 38 (1254 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Fanatic] Councils filling in subways (underpasses) [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Personally I prefer Subways to MacDonalds.
The Italian BMT 6 inch with a free drink for 3 is a bargain.Smile

jrev61

Isaac

Jan 13, 2013, 1:56 PM

Post #31 of 38 (1239 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jrev61] Councils filling in subways (underpasses) [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

Oh yes those type of Subways are great..............I never go in McDonalds

jon b
First Team Star

Jan 13, 2013, 4:43 PM

Team(s): SUFC, SWFC etc

Post #32 of 38 (1225 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jrev61] Councils filling in subways (underpasses) [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

I like the food, it's just I feel like I'm taking a multi-choice examination every time I try to order something.

It's like the look I get at Costa when I ask for a coffee Blush

Chapeltom
Chelsea Transfer Target

Jan 24, 2013, 5:54 PM

Team(s): Sheffield Wednesday (ENG), Uni Lions (Taiwan baseball)

Post #33 of 38 (1154 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jon b] Councils filling in subways (underpasses) [In reply to] Can't Post or

In Reply To

In Reply To
Many subways have been filled in Sheffield and the city centre environment is much better for it. In the one major location where there is still a subway I, and it seems most others, prefer to use the (pre-existing) surface crossing rather than run the gauntlet of beggars in the dismal environment below ground.

Totally agree re Sheffield and it's not just the city centre that is better for it.

Subways were a great idea in theory but in practice had the problems of beggars, muggers and even worse scum than that.

I remember the ones down Eyre Street (I think?) from when I was younger. The only one I use (or still exists!) is the one under Arundel Gate where there is a pedestrian crossing anyway Crazy

Ear4thebeer
Junior Team Star

Jan 25, 2013, 12:42 PM

Post #34 of 38 (1103 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Chapeltom] Councils filling in subways (underpasses) [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Birmingham City Centre used to have a few but I think most have been filled in now.Smile

Chris1963

Feb 5, 2013, 10:21 PM

Team(s): Oxford United / Groundhopper

Post #35 of 38 (1035 views)
Shortcut
Re: [adam] Councils filling in subways (underpasses) [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

In Reply To
So you'd fancy your chances walking through Tom Thumb's arch in Bow would you Chris?

Crikey Westy, that looks daunting. The grim reaper is already waiting!!!!

If you want to find something on the internet more sinister than the subway in the photo, try typing 'deaths in 2013' into Wikipedia. You will see not only a list of deaths for every day including today (very impressive) but also a blank space under tomorrow's date. This seems to serve no purpose except perhaps to warn readers that they could appear in it tomorrow.
On a lighter note the same page has the hilarious comment, as follows; "Deaths of notable animals and other biological life forms are also listed here" although it is not clear what is meant by "other biological life forms" - bacteria, perhaps?

To return to the subject of underpasses, I reckon Maidstone United's new ground (which I visited on Sat 26th January) could do with one because you have to cross a very busy roundabout just before you get to James Whatman Way. The grim reaper certainly awaits here!

(This post was edited by Chris1963 on Feb 5, 2013, 10:55 PM)

UKPunk

Feb 5, 2013, 11:40 PM

Post #36 of 38 (1012 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Chris1963] Councils filling in subways (underpasses) [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

In Reply To

In Reply To
On a lighter note the same page has the hilarious comment, as follows; "Deaths of notable animals and other biological life forms are also listed here" although it is not clear what is meant by "other biological life forms" - bacteria, perhaps?

That'll be chavs Chris. Tongue

1-0-1-0-4-25-40-65-181-289=606

Last game: Mon 20/8/18
4. Basford United 1 Hednesford Town 2

Isaac

Feb 6, 2013, 11:23 AM

Post #37 of 38 (990 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Chris1963] Councils filling in subways (underpasses) [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

In Reply To

In Reply To

Crikey Westy, that looks daunting. The grim reaper is already waiting!!!!

To return to the subject of underpasses, I reckon Maidstone United's new ground (which I visited on Sat 26th January) could do with one because you have to cross a very busy roundabout just before you get to James Whatman Way. The grim reaper certainly awaits here!

But there are pedestrain lights there?

The subways further down towards the town centre flood everytime there is heavy rain making them inaccessible

bomaya
First Team Star

Feb 12, 2013, 3:28 PM

Team(s): Merstham and Chelsea

Post #38 of 38 (947 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Isaac] Councils filling in subways (underpasses) [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

It may have been in France but the movie Irreversible put me off subways for good!

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3