Home: Non Football Related: General Chat:
Trough Stuffers at it again

splodge
Chelsea Transfer Target

Jan 10, 2013, 10:49 PM

Post #1 of 9 (867 views)
Shortcut
Trough Stuffers at it again Can't Post or Reply Privately

Yet again they lead by example as we are of course all in it together.

MPs have suggested a 32% hike in their pay to the Commons expenses watchdog, it has been revealed.

Members said they deserved an £86,250 salary in an anonymous survey conducted by the Independent Parliamentary Standards Authority (Ipsa).

The research also found more than a third think they should keep final salary pensions.

The findings emerged as Ipsa published a report on its initial consultation into pay and pensions.

The Commons voted against a 1% pay rise in 2011 and, last year, agreed to extend the pay freeze into 2013.

But the survey found that 69% thought they were underpaid on their current salary of £65,738.

The average level suggested for the appropriate level of pay was £86,250.

YouGov conducted online interviews with 100 MPs on Ipsa's behalf, and weighted the results slightly to represent the Commons by party, gender, year elected, and geography.

Conservative MPs were the most likely to believe they were underpaid, according to the results.

On average, Tories said their salary should be £96,740, while Lib Dems thought the right amount was £78,361 and Labour £77,322. Other parties put the figure at £75,091.

A fifth of those questioned said they should be paid £95,000 or more.

The prime minister's official spokesman said David Cameron believed it was a matter for Ipsa, when asked about the prime minister's thoughts of MPs' demands for more pay.

Ipsa took control of MPs' pay and pensions in October last year - so MPs no longer get a vote on it.

The watchdog will put firm proposals out for consultation in the spring, with final decisions likely to be taken in the autumn.

It said it was not proposing to introduce performance-related pay, regional pay or to take outside earnings into account.

Chairman Sir Ian Kennedy said: "In the past, MPs have agreed their pay and pensions among themselves.

"So this new approach of independent decision-making marks a real and important change and is another crucial step in helping Parliament to regain the trust of the public.

"The consultation we held over the autumn has been hugely informative and important in directing our thinking. It also serves to show the spread of views and depth of feeling on this issue."

Matthew Sinclair, chief executive of campaign group the TaxPayers' Alliance said: "Hiking politician's wages at a time of pay freezes, benefit caps and necessary spending cuts would be completely unpalatable to taxpayers."

He said most people think MP's current salaries are "about right".

MPs have a funded final salary pension scheme; they pay a fixed contribution and the Exchequer is liable for the balance.

www.twitter.com/splodgey
www.facebook.com/paulsplodgeproctor

yorkieexile
First Team Star

Jan 11, 2013, 10:52 AM

Team(s): Halifax, Groundhopper

Post #2 of 9 (829 views)
Shortcut
Re: [splodge] Trough Stuffers at it again [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I have no sympathy with them, but if someone asked me whether I thought I should be paid more than I am, I guess I would be likely to say yes to that question.

That is somewhat different from me going to ask my boss for a pay rise

Mr. T
Chelsea Transfer Target

Jan 11, 2013, 11:08 AM

Post #3 of 9 (824 views)
Shortcut
Re: [splodge] Trough Stuffers at it again [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I'm quite happy for MPs to be paid £86,000pa as long as they give up all expenses bar one – a second class railway season ticket to their constituency.

Stoned_Prof
Youth Team Star

Jan 11, 2013, 5:45 PM

Team(s): Maidstone United

Post #4 of 9 (784 views)
Shortcut

They should be paid the average wage (mean, median, or halfway between the two, I really don't mind), multiplied by the percentage of time that they actually turn up. Then they'd really be in it with everyone else.

They can still keep their long holidays, a standard class season ticket between constituency and Westminster, and spartan accomodation in Westminster if their constituency is more than a 1 hour journey away.

Ministers should be paid more and get a greater expense allowance, as their job in the executive branch is in addition to their job in the legislature. Even still, they shouldn't be paid for Commons sessions that they don't attend.

MPs shouldn't be doing it for the money, but for the people of the country.

To help Maidstone United come home, and for up to 49 chances to win £1000 for a one-off payment of £6.99, please join the Maidstone United Virtual Stadium:
http://www.maidstoneunitedvirtualstadium.com/...tration.aspx?r=00224

jrev61
Man City Transfer Target!

Jan 11, 2013, 6:06 PM

Team(s): None

Post #5 of 9 (775 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Mr. T] Trough Stuffers at it again [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
I'm quite happy for MPs to be paid £86,000pa as long as they give up all expenses bar one – a second class railway season ticket to their constituency.

What about those MPs from remote constituencies ie Orkney and Shetland or the Western Isles?
To represent the people who elected them, properly they must unfortunately incur massive expenses or they would hardly ever attend parliament.
Of course Scottish independence would mostly solve that problem!

jrev61

Mr. T
Chelsea Transfer Target

Jan 11, 2013, 6:29 PM

Post #6 of 9 (772 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jrev61] Trough Stuffers at it again [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Er, wasn't that the essence of the point I made – that the only expenses should be for travel?

UKPunk

Jan 11, 2013, 8:19 PM

Post #7 of 9 (756 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Stoned_Prof] Trough Stuffers at it again [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

At least one thinks it's ok to appear on shite reality TV shows when, in my view, she should have been available to represent her constituents! Mad

1-0-1-0-4-25-40-65-181-289=606

Last game: Mon 20/8/18
4. Basford United 1 Hednesford Town 2

buncranaboy
Qatar World Cup bid member!

Jan 11, 2013, 11:23 PM

Team(s): Barnstoneworth United; Bostock Stanley

Post #8 of 9 (741 views)
Shortcut
Re: [UKPunk] Trough Stuffers at it again [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

In Reply To

At least one thinks it's ok to appear on shite reality TV shows when, in my view, she should have been available to represent her constituents! Mad

More than one. Respect Cool

VP

Jan 12, 2013, 1:06 PM

Post #9 of 9 (705 views)
Shortcut
Re: [buncranaboy] Trough Stuffers at it again [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I had to laugh at the boss of UNISON. It's reported he's on £127,436 a year yet he had this to say -

"At a time when millions of workers are getting zero pay rises, the idea that MPs believe they deserve a 32% increase is “living in cloud cuckoo land” said UNISON chief, Dave Prentis today (10 January).

“MPs should get real about pay, this shows they are totally out of touch with working people. How can they think that they deserve a 32% increase when the rest of the country is being told to tighten their belts?"

(This post was edited by VP on Jan 12, 2013, 1:09 PM)

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3