INDEX
Search Posts SEARCH
IN

Home: Non Football Related: General Chat:
Pubs Charging For New Years Eve

sandhurstbee
Man City Transfer Target!

Dec 31, 2012, 2:53 PM

Team(s): Brentford, Sandhurst Town and Most local Non League sides.

Post #1 of 21 (1422 views)
Shortcut
Pubs Charging For New Years Eve Can't Post or Reply Privately

Years ago we used to wander from One pub to another on New Years Eve in a bit of a pub crawl, then when we had the kids we started going down the local Sports Club as we could take the kids. These days the kids have grown up and doing their thing and we are back to square One but I have found most of the pubs locally now want to charge for the privalage of spending my money in their pub. Is it just me or are they just taking the Pee!

Last New Ground 2016/17 (15) 29/4/2017 HIGHMOOR/IBIS RESERVES 1 Mortimer 1 - Thames Valley premier league, Premier Division

UKPunk

Dec 31, 2012, 4:13 PM

Post #2 of 21 (1404 views)
Shortcut
Re: [sandhurstbee] Pubs Charging For New Years Eve [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

They certainly are Barry. I treat those pubs, and indeed any establishment that imposes a dress code, with the utter contempt they deserve and drink elsewhere.

1-0-1-0-4-25-40-65-181-289=606

Last game: Mon 20/8/18
4. Basford United 1 Hednesford Town 2

Isaac

Dec 31, 2012, 5:38 PM

Team(s): ABMU

Post #3 of 21 (1386 views)
Shortcut
Re: [UKPunk] Pubs Charging For New Years Eve [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
They certainly are Barry. I treat those pubs, and indeed any establishment that imposes a dress code, with the utter contempt they deserve and drink elsewhere.

I think most people treat such pubs with the contempt they deserve and so in the long run it isn't cost effective, January is a long hard month and people remember things like that.

I rarely go out NYE anyway, lot of fuss about nothing if you ask me.

paignton-nick
Chelsea Transfer Target

Dec 31, 2012, 6:35 PM

Team(s): Stevenage FC & Buckland Athletic

Post #4 of 21 (1373 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Isaac] Pubs Charging For New Years Eve [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

Hear hear. Last time I went out on NYE would probably be 5 years ago.

Stevenage FC - Hertfordshire's finest!
Buckland Athletic- Pride of South Devon!

DonQuixote
Chelsea Transfer Target

Dec 31, 2012, 7:09 PM

Team(s): Romford, Everton, @BrentwoodSunLge

Post #5 of 21 (1361 views)
Shortcut
Re: [sandhurstbee] Pubs Charging For New Years Eve [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I'd rather pay than drink with the ordinary people....

FA Vase semi programme wanted: 2001 Taunton v Clitheroe.

VP

Dec 31, 2012, 7:29 PM

Post #6 of 21 (1353 views)
Shortcut

For the town centre pubs it's understandable as they have to limit numbers although my view is that, if they're charging, they should at least put on some entertainment.
Last year the band I work with played New Years Eve at a pub in Tooting. I wasn't looking forward to it but it turned out to be a great night. It was 20 just to get into the pub or 50 if you wanted a meal as well. It was quite a posh do and plenty of people took it up.
This year we haven't got a gig so I'm sat at home. We were offered a gig at one place but we didn't really want to play there so we quoted them a stupid price knowing they couldn't afford it.

(This post was edited by VP on Dec 31, 2012, 7:32 PM)

UKPunk

Dec 31, 2012, 7:34 PM

Post #7 of 21 (1345 views)
Shortcut
Re: [paignton-nick] Pubs Charging For New Years Eve [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

In Reply To

Hear hear. Last time I went out on NYE would probably be 5 years ago.

I haven't been out on new year's eve for about 12 years but we've been invited round my yiddo mate's house this evening and seeing as it's only a 10 minute walk and won't require a pitch inspection it would be rude not to put in an appearance. Disappointingly however he informed me this afternoon that despite his printer being in perfect working order there will be no programme. Tongue

1-0-1-0-4-25-40-65-181-289=606

Last game: Mon 20/8/18
4. Basford United 1 Hednesford Town 2

Isaac

Dec 31, 2012, 7:54 PM

Post #8 of 21 (1326 views)
Shortcut
Re: [VP] Pubs Charging For New Years Eve [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
For the town centre pubs it's understandable as they have to limit numbers although my view is that, if they're charging, they should at least put on some entertainment.
Last year the band I work with played New Years Eve at a pub in Tooting. I wasn't looking forward to it but it turned out to be a great night. It was 20 just to get into the pub or 50 if you wanted a meal as well. It was quite a posh do and plenty of people took it up.
This year we haven't got a gig so I'm sat at home. We were offered a gig at one place but we didn't really want to play there so we quoted them a stupid price knowing they couldn't afford it.

I think that is often used as an excuse to charge punters, they could issue tickets for free or charge a fiver or whatever but the fiver is redeemable at the bar.

My wifes gone out with our daughter and her partner and a few friends, I'm quite happy to stay at home and babysit the kids, I just hope its still pouring with rain, as it is now, at midnight and hopefully the kids won't be woken by idiots letting fireworks off. I've got some DVDs to watch rather than watch all the new year nonsense on TV.

DonQuixote
Chelsea Transfer Target

Dec 31, 2012, 8:06 PM

Post #9 of 21 (1320 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Isaac] Pubs Charging For New Years Eve [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

...and I bet they're all happy in the boozer, laughing their socks off as
to how they've left the miserable old scrote indoors.

Isaac

Dec 31, 2012, 8:17 PM

Post #10 of 21 (1315 views)
Shortcut
Re: [DonQuixote] Pubs Charging For New Years Eve [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

There's another 350 odd nights to go out, it makes me laugh the way people talk about NYE as though its some sort of life changing event..........things will still be much the same tomorrow morningUnsure

(This post was edited by Isaac on Dec 31, 2012, 8:18 PM)

paignton-nick
Chelsea Transfer Target

Dec 31, 2012, 8:19 PM

Team(s): Stevenage FC & Buckland Athletic

Post #11 of 21 (1313 views)
Shortcut
Re: [DonQuixote] Pubs Charging For New Years Eve [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Some numb-nut is letting off fireworks in Paignton alreadyMad

Stevenage FC - Hertfordshire's finest!
Buckland Athletic- Pride of South Devon!

buncranaboy
Qatar World Cup bid member!

Dec 31, 2012, 8:39 PM

Team(s): Barnstoneworth United; Bostock Stanley

Post #12 of 21 (1301 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
I'd rather pay than drink with the ordinary people....

I'm a troll fol-de-rol............

DonQuixote
Chelsea Transfer Target

Dec 31, 2012, 8:44 PM

Post #13 of 21 (1300 views)
Shortcut
Re: [buncranaboy] Pubs Charging For New Years Eve [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Smile

LondonBuck
Chelsea Transfer Target

Dec 31, 2012, 11:13 PM

Team(s): AFC Telford United, Witham Town, Folkestone Invicta, Gillingham, Woking

Post #14 of 21 (1276 views)
Shortcut

I am much happier at home with my entirely appropriate bottle of Meantime London Stout which I shall finish at midnight Wink

637 GROUNDS - AFC Fylde(61/92)
582 WETHERSPOONS - Lytham
2 WETHERSPOONS HOTELS - Ripon

Loiner
First Team Star

Dec 31, 2012, 11:22 PM

Team(s): None. A supporter of grassroots football

Post #15 of 21 (1272 views)
Shortcut
Re: [LondonBuck] Pubs Charging For New Years Eve [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
I am much happier at home with my entirely appropriate bottle of Meantime London Stout which I shall finish at midnight Wink

Same here, but with a bottle of Leeds Brewery Best.

Isaac

Jan 2, 2013, 10:59 AM

Post #16 of 21 (1207 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To

Actually the 'miserable old scrote' had a thoroughly good night out last night in Sarf London after watching the Palace game, also watched the Saints v Gooners match on the pub big screen in a nice pleasant environment without any of the idiotic behaviour associated with NYE.

To repay my babysitting on NYE wifey picked me up from the pub in the car afterwards.........just what the obsession is about going out NYE really is beyond me.

Some people in North Kent do have rather odd ways of seeing in the new year, a murder near Sittingbourne, an attempted murder (stabbing) in Gillingham and a serious assault in Gravesend all within hours of the begining of the new year.

garethwrexy

Jan 2, 2013, 11:30 AM

Team(s): wrexham and dulwich

Post #17 of 21 (1201 views)
Shortcut

it was free at the pub i was drinking in Cool

wrexham fc fa trophy winners 2013 !

AndyE
First Team Star

Jan 2, 2013, 1:13 PM

Team(s): Chatham Town

Post #18 of 21 (1189 views)
Shortcut
Re: [garethwrexy] Pubs Charging For New Years Eve [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

There used to be a common belief that it was illegal for pubs to charge for admission. It isn't, but not all pubs who do this do it in a legal way.

First of all, it is illegal to charge admission if you are showing live television. It's actually a breach of copyright, and Sky have prosecuted a handful of landlords who were charging admission to watch football. The BBC never have, but that doesn't mean they couldn't if they wanted to.

Secondly, it is illegal in Scotland, unless the pub has an entertainment licence and some kind of entertainment is being provided for the paying customers. (Bands, comedians, and ecdysiasts count as entertainment, but a pub will not be granted an entertainment licence so that it can charge people to watch football on Sky.)

Otherwise, it is legal for pubs in England to charge admission - provided that the pub can show that it is offering something for the admission fee. That might be some form of entertainment, or it might be a free feed. What it can't be is free drinks - since 2010 it has been illegal for pubs to offer free alcoholic drinks in return for an entrance fee.

DonQuixote
Chelsea Transfer Target

Jan 2, 2013, 1:46 PM

Post #19 of 21 (1181 views)
Shortcut
Re: [AndyE] Pubs Charging For New Years Eve [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Jeezus...life used to be so simple...drink three bottles of wine,
fall flat on your face and somebody would get you a cab home... Crazy

Isaac

Jan 2, 2013, 1:51 PM

Post #20 of 21 (1177 views)
Shortcut
Re: [AndyE] Pubs Charging For New Years Eve [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
There used to be a common belief that it was illegal for pubs to charge for admission. It isn't, but not all pubs who do this do it in a legal way.

First of all, it is illegal to charge admission if you are showing live television. It's actually a breach of copyright, and Sky have prosecuted a handful of landlords who were charging admission to watch football. The BBC never have, but that doesn't mean they couldn't if they wanted to.

Secondly, it is illegal in Scotland, unless the pub has an entertainment licence and some kind of entertainment is being provided for the paying customers. (Bands, comedians, and ecdysiasts count as entertainment, but a pub will not be granted an entertainment licence so that it can charge people to watch football on Sky.)

Otherwise, it is legal for pubs in England to charge admission - provided that the pub can show that it is offering something for the admission fee. That might be some form of entertainment, or it might be a free feed. What it can't be is free drinks - since 2010 it has been illegal for pubs to offer free alcoholic drinks in return for an entrance fee.

I know a pub that was charging an admission fee for live football, I don't know if it still is, but the admission fee could be redeemed at the bar when buying drinks. It was just to stop cheapskates coming into watch the football and not buying anything which seemed not unreasonable to me.

Mishi

Jan 3, 2013, 10:47 AM

Team(s): Dulwich Hamlet

Post #21 of 21 (1131 views)
Shortcut

That last idea I like...

therewas a pub near me that used to have a sign in thw window that said 'during live football on the television we charge 5 for soft drinks'. The reason being a number of tight locals would buy half a coke & sit there for two hours. Not me, I hasten to add...

Grounds visited: 741
Last new ground: Old Roan FC; John Roan Playing Fields; Kidrooke Park Road, London, SE3. (Bromley & South London Football Alliance Division One)
Last game: Tuesday 16th August 2019:Dulwich Hamlet 1, Wealdstone 0. [Vanarama National League South]
Matches watched this season: 17
2017/18-New English grounds: 3; & foreign: 0

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3