First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

stourboy
First Team Star

Dec 15, 2012, 5:09 PM

Team(s): Stourbridge FC, Sheffield Wednesday

Post #1 of 35 (4112 views)
Shortcut
Card/Board Games Can't Post or Reply Privately

Thought I'd start a thread to gauge people's opinions on this....

Any fans of bridge, poker or other card game?

Any cribbage regulars?

Does anyone regularly play board games e.g. Cluedo, Scrabble, Scattergories, Chess with their friends/partners/families?

Just wondered if people still regularly play or if they are a 'dying breed'.

DonQuixote
Chelsea Transfer Target

Dec 15, 2012, 6:24 PM

Team(s): Romford, Everton, @BrentwoodSunLge

Post #2 of 35 (4107 views)
Shortcut
Re: [stourboy] Card/Board Games [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Learned to play Auction Bridge around 1979 and cannot
recollect playing another proper card game since.

Don't get the chance to play much these days but the
call of 'two diamonds' from my partner always stirred my loins...

FA Vase semi programme wanted: 2001 Taunton v Clitheroe.

Chris1963
Man City Transfer Target!

Dec 15, 2012, 9:48 PM

Team(s): Oxford United / Groundhopper

Post #3 of 35 (4083 views)
Shortcut
Re: [DonQuixote] Card/Board Games [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Have become hooked on the chess that comes with this computer. In fact it is actually more interesting than some of the action computer games I play! Unlike real chess, you don't have to wait ages for your opponent to make a move, the computer makes its move within seconds of yours and as a result the game can be over in as little as 10 minutes, so it won't take up too much of your time. Have a look to see if your computer has chess, I can recommend it. It really makes you think, unlike action computer games which merely test your reflexes.

LondonBuck
Chelsea Transfer Target

Dec 15, 2012, 10:18 PM

Team(s): AFC Telford United, Witham Town, Folkestone Invicta, Gillingham, Woking

Post #4 of 35 (4074 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
Thought I'd start a thread to gauge people's opinions on this

Does anyone regularly play board games e.g. Cluedo, Scrabble, Scattergories, Chess with their friends/partners/families?

Just wondered if people still regularly play or if they are a 'dying breed'.

YES!
The board game collection is still on top of the wardrobe and gets dusted down every Christmas, i can't bring myself to throw them away Blush
I still have...
Monopoly original and Essex editions
Scrabble
Treasure Hunt
Cluedo
Scotland Yard
Great game of Britain
Game of Life
Trivial Pursuit
Blockbusters
Cat Attack
and my prize possession won in a raffle donkeys years ago... Dial Away the BT game.

Only the first three ever see the light of day now and the rest belong on ebay if i ever get the time Unsure

643 GROUNDS - Milton Keynes Robins (61/92)
582 WETHERSPOONS - Lytham
2 WETHERSPOONS HOTELS - Ripon

Isaac

Dec 15, 2012, 10:22 PM

Team(s): ABMU

Post #5 of 35 (4073 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Chris1963] Card/Board Games [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I've got a chess game with variable degrees of difficulty.

As for board games Monopoly was always the favourite and no doubt I'll get roped into a game over christmas.

kirby knitters
Qatar World Cup bid member!

Dec 15, 2012, 10:37 PM

Team(s): Hinckley United FC.

Post #6 of 35 (4071 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Isaac] Card/Board Games [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Board games?never really played them but sounds like a good idea and a great time of the year to start.
Are there any that id not lose points on when i only had 3 to start with?

Mister TwoU
First Team Star

Dec 16, 2012, 11:38 AM

Team(s): Malvern Town F,C,

Post #7 of 35 (4034 views)
Shortcut
Re: [kirby knitters] Card/Board Games [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Used to be a regular Mahjongg & bridge player - had a doozy Roman-Blackwood Convention-like 3 Clubs call that led to many a slam bid and made!

Otherwise, always lived in family addicted to board-games. Sitting up Saturday nights with a 'chnky' and free-flowing bottles of wine 'til gone 4AM, propping eyelids with matchstalks, lol.

I've still got a few, but they don't come down very often these days as the kids are too 'into' these buzzing, electronic thingies they play on, alone.

My favourites: 4000 AD; Speculate aka Business Game; the recently re-purchased Chartbuster & last but not least, Risk - hold places of honour.
Also got Scrabble, Cluedo, various Monopoly versions, Game Of Life & Campaign.

Chartbuster's the only one the kids will request to play these days. Shame.

Professional cretin.

LondonBuck
Chelsea Transfer Target

Dec 16, 2012, 6:13 PM

Team(s): AFC Telford United, Witham Town, Folkestone Invicta, Gillingham, Woking

Post #8 of 35 (3997 views)
Shortcut
Re: [kirby knitters] Card/Board Games [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Board games?never really played them but sounds like a good idea and a great time of the year to start.
Are there any that id not lose points on when i only had 3 to start with?

Very good Laugh
I'm sure there must be a Coventry edition of Monopoly, you could have fun building houses on the Ricoh Arena! I've been doing that to Roots Hall for years Wink

PonteCarlo
First Team Star

Dec 17, 2012, 1:08 PM

Team(s): Grimsby Town, Pontefract Collieries

Post #9 of 35 (3937 views)
Shortcut
Re: [LondonBuck] Card/Board Games [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I used to be a big fan of playing Risk (no, not going to a game that might not have done a programme Wink) and used to have a fairly good record.

Proud spectator of real football.

Hop, hop, hopping on heaven's door

yorkieexile
First Team Star

Dec 17, 2012, 10:11 PM

Team(s): Halifax, Groundhopper

Post #10 of 35 (3899 views)
Shortcut
Re: [PonteCarlo] Card/Board Games [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

We enjoy a game of Scrabble at home

I also enjoy playing Sudoku on my phone

buncranaboy
Qatar World Cup bid member!

Dec 17, 2012, 11:06 PM

Team(s): Barnstoneworth United; Bostock Stanley

Post #11 of 35 (3887 views)
Shortcut
Re: [yorkieexile] Card/Board Games [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I think there's a market for a "Groundhopper" board game. Following the Monopoly board thinking there would be clusters of different quality grounds, transport hubs, pubs and Wetherspoons as well as bonus and pitfall squares along the lines of "No programme today, go back to square one" or "You are found to have counted a game which was abandoned, miss three turns and hand back your programme" or "you meet another hopper who gives you a lift to a double, have another go".
Each player would be represented by a miniature carrier-bag moved along the board by tugging on a piece of string with the objective being to collect programmes, team-sheets and signed pie-wrappers from each ground whilst trying to prevent your fellow players from doing so.
The rules of the game would be defined by a panel of one in Crewe and any disputes resolved by Isaac.

DonQuixote
Chelsea Transfer Target

Dec 18, 2012, 1:19 AM

Team(s): Romford, Everton, @BrentwoodSunLge

Post #12 of 35 (3873 views)
Shortcut
Re: [buncranaboy] Card/Board Games [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I've just had a sudden urge to self harm.... Unsure

FA Vase semi programme wanted: 2001 Taunton v Clitheroe.

pitch 63
First Team Star

Dec 18, 2012, 7:05 AM

Post #13 of 35 (3865 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
I think there's a market for a "Groundhopper" board game. Following the Monopoly board thinking there would be clusters of different quality grounds, transport hubs, pubs and Wetherspoons as well as bonus and pitfall squares along the lines of "No programme today, go back to square one" or "You are found to have counted a game which was abandoned, miss three turns and hand back your programme" or "you meet another hopper who gives you a lift to a double, have another go".
Each player would be represented by a miniature carrier-bag moved along the board by tugging on a piece of string with the objective being to collect programmes, team-sheets and signed pie-wrappers from each ground whilst trying to prevent your fellow players from doing so.
The rules of the game would be defined by a panel of one in Crewe and any disputes resolved by Isaac.

Presumably you are disqualified if you have to leave the room whilst playing to relive yourself - I heard that there was one groundhopper, who having enjoyed the hospitality of a local bar prior to the match, had to leave a game for three minutes in the second half due to a need to discharge what he had consumed in the bar, and thus could not count the game as he had missed part of it, and thus required a revisit.

paignton-nick
Chelsea Transfer Target

Dec 18, 2012, 10:13 AM

Team(s): Stevenage FC & Buckland Athletic

Post #14 of 35 (3849 views)
Shortcut
Re: [pitch 63] Card/Board Games [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Wouldn't have a clue how to play Poker, Bridge, Whist etc.

Never played Chess or Cluedo.

Big fan of Scrabble and Monopoly and had countless boardgames when I was younger that I enjoyed - including Blockbusters & Go for Broke

Stevenage FC - Hertfordshire's finest!
Buckland Athletic- Pride of South Devon!

Mishi

Dec 18, 2012, 10:47 AM

Team(s): Dulwich Hamlet

Post #15 of 35 (3843 views)
Shortcut

I'm impressed, I think you should patent it! ;-)

Grounds visited: 745
Last new ground:Horsham FC; The Camping World Community Stadium, Horsham, West Sussex. (Isthmian League Premier Division)
Last game: Saturday 21st September 2019: Dulwich Hamlet 6, Bognor Regis Town 1. [ FA Cup 2nd qualifying round]
Matches watched this season: 46
2017/18-New English grounds: 7 & foreign: 0

mip

Dec 18, 2012, 11:00 AM

Team(s): Portsmouth, OB, Svendborg fB, Tved B

Post #16 of 35 (3839 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To

Would pram and toys suitable for throwing be included or would you have to supply that yourself?

leominster
First Team Star

Dec 18, 2012, 12:11 PM

Team(s): Cardiff City, KV Kortrijk, BFC Dynamo

Post #17 of 35 (3825 views)
Shortcut
Re: [mip] Card/Board Games [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Played board games a lot when a lad, I had a couple of footie related ones, one of which may have been called something like 'Football Manager'. Used to play card games such as whist and Newmarket with my grandmother.Her football connection was that she used to run the tea hut at Barry Town's Jenner Park in the post World War II era.

My 8 year old son is fond of a board game called 'Discovering Europe' which will stand him in good stead for some international hopping I'm planning for us!

wishmaster3211
First Team Star

Dec 18, 2012, 1:48 PM

Team(s): Calne Town, Darlington, Rosenborg, Sussex CCC, Huddersfield RL

Post #18 of 35 (3809 views)
Shortcut

A recent article in the Times said that Traditional games were making a comeback, as well as things like "Subbuteo" (third most searched for Toy on the internet apparently!).

The best one I ever played was "Game of Life", "Mousetrap" was fun (we actually played that at work once a few years ago!), also liked Monopoly. Like a lot of things they work because they are tactile and constantly playing on computers doesn't fully stimulate the brain

Buncrana Boys post is very funny! Laugh

"Run For the Hills Before They Burn"

Checkout my Facebook page "Proper Football Grounds"

facebook.com/paul.fergusson

prorege

Dec 18, 2012, 1:58 PM

Team(s): Fife teams

Post #19 of 35 (3803 views)
Shortcut
Re: [wishmaster3211] Card/Board Games [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Surprised no one has mentioned Totopoly - one of my favourites as a kid.

wishmaster3211
First Team Star

Dec 18, 2012, 2:29 PM

Team(s): Calne Town, Darlington, Rosenborg, Sussex CCC, Huddersfield RL

Post #20 of 35 (3796 views)
Shortcut
Re: [LondonBuck] Card/Board Games [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I'm sure there must be a Coventry edition of Monopoly, you could have fun building houses on the Ricoh Arena! I've been doing that to Roots Hall for years Wink

In the FA version of Monopoly you gain Clubs by going to jail, having a shady past and not paying your tax. The playing piece is a sack of money or an identikit modern stadium that the club doesn't need. The object is to rack up as much debt as possible then suddenly declare that it was actually all a "loan". the winner is the person who has the largest number of debtors when they call in their loan!

no I'm not cynical.

"Run For the Hills Before They Burn"

Checkout my Facebook page "Proper Football Grounds"

facebook.com/paul.fergusson

(This post was edited by wishmaster3211 on Dec 18, 2012, 2:33 PM)

LondonBuck
Chelsea Transfer Target

Dec 18, 2012, 7:59 PM

Post #21 of 35 (3764 views)
Shortcut
Re: [wishmaster3211] Card/Board Games [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

In the FA version of Monopoly you gain Clubs by going to jail, having a shady past and not paying your tax. The playing piece is a sack of money or an identikit modern stadium that the club doesn't need. The object is to rack up as much debt as possible then suddenly declare that it was actually all a "loan". the winner is the person who has the largest number of debtors when they call in their loan!

no I'm not cynical.

I think you have got mixed up with another board game I used to have...Go for Broke Wink
I had to stop playing that after 2004 Frown

pitch 63
First Team Star

Dec 19, 2012, 6:35 AM

Post #22 of 35 (3738 views)
Shortcut
Re: [prorege] Card/Board Games [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Surprised no one has mentioned Totopoly - one of my favourites as a kid.

I have a very old Monopoly board [circa WWII] which has Totopoly on the reverse. I have never seen it anywhere else or met anyone who seen my board who had heard of Totopoly. Many's a happy hour been spent playing both Monopoly and Totopoly.

thowdreds
Youth Team Star

Dec 19, 2012, 8:47 AM

Team(s): Accrington Stanley, Blackburn Rovers, BurnleyLeicester City, Halesowen Town

Post #23 of 35 (3731 views)
Shortcut
Re: [pitch 63] Card/Board Games [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Didn't Totopoly have a double sided board? One side for training and then the other side for the race.

Part-Timer
Chelsea Transfer Target

Dec 19, 2012, 11:29 AM

Team(s): Brentford, Bradford City, Peterborough United, Yaxley

Post #24 of 35 (3714 views)
Shortcut
Re: [thowdreds] Card/Board Games [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Didn't Totopoly have a double sided board? One side for training and then the other side for the race.

That is my recollection too.

Stoned_Prof
Youth Team Star

Dec 19, 2012, 12:35 PM

Team(s): Maidstone United

Post #25 of 35 (3703 views)
Shortcut

I play chess and cribbage with my mate at the pub quite regularly. Sometimes get some strange looks from other people (particularly if we're wearing football shirts and I'm on my third pint of ale) and sometimes get people asking if they can join in.

Get together with a group of friends and play poker occasionally. Usually alternate between variants so that, for example, each player deals a round of Texas, then Omaha, then Pineapple, then Chowaha before going back to Texas, raising the blinds each time the game changes. Keeps things fresh and games last many hours.

Have many other games, such as Monopoly, Cluedo, Game of Life, Mouse Trap, Subbuteo (both football and cricket editions), Othello/Reversi, Scrabble and Sequence. They usually only come out at Christmas, though, and some haven't been out for years. I also have Backgammon and Go, but I don't think I've ever learned how to play them (maybe this Christmas I will).

I would not say that they're a dying breed (for reference, I'm 22). In fact, I'd say that chess and poker are as widely played as they ever were. Board and card games will continue to exist despite the rise of video games, just as literature and radio have continued despite the rise of television. Also, do not forget that many people, particularly those without much storage space and those who do not have anyone readily available to play against, will play computerised versions of board and card games, so they also live on in the new format.

To help Maidstone United come home, and for up to 49 chances to win 1000 for a one-off payment of 6.99, please join the Maidstone United Virtual Stadium:
http://www.maidstoneunitedvirtualstadium.com/...tration.aspx?r=00224

(This post was edited by Stoned_Prof on Dec 19, 2012, 12:48 PM)

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3