Non League Matters - The Continuation of Tonys english Football Site 

Main Index MAIN
INDEX
Search Posts SEARCH
IN

THIS FORUM IS NOW READ ONLY - PLEASE HEAD OVER TO THE NEW FORUM HERE (CLICK LINK) TO REGISTER A NEW ACCOUNT - THANKS

Home: Non League Football Information: FA Competitions:
Postponements

DaveU
First Team Star

Dec 14, 2012, 1:13 PM

Post #1 of 16 (3460 views)
Shortcut
Postponements Can't Post or Reply Privately

Just wondered if anyone could clarify the rules on postponements and how they affect subsequent league games. My understanding is that the postponed FA Trophy game will always take precedence over any league games, which could lead to the situation where a Trophy game that as called of multiple times could lead to the ridiculous situation of the teams involved not being able to play any games for an extended period.

Bearing in mind Halifax supporters' pessimism about their pitch being playable any time soon, if my understanding is correct, both Halifax and Maidstone could end up not actually playing any football until the new year. This is clearly not a situation that either club, or their fans want to see so is there anything that can be done to prevent it.

There are 10 types of people in this world. Those who understand binary and those who don't.

sandhurstbee
Man City Transfer Target!

Dec 14, 2012, 1:25 PM

Team(s): Brentford, Sandhurst Town and Most local Non League sides.

Post #2 of 16 (3452 views)
Shortcut
Re: [DaveU] Postponements [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I would imagine a postponed game would be arranged for Mid Week so Potential League fixtures on the Saturday should not be affected.

Last New Ground 2016/17 (15) 29/4/2017 HIGHMOOR/IBIS RESERVES 1 Mortimer 1 - Thames Valley premier league, Premier Division

Sale Holmfield
First Team Regular

Dec 14, 2012, 1:30 PM

Team(s): Altrincham, Conwy Borough

Post #3 of 16 (3445 views)
Shortcut
Re: [sandhurstbee] Postponements [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

The Halifax - Maidstone game has been called off now, and is indeed being rescheduled for Tuesday, but that means their game at Altrincham then is off.Mad

DaveU
First Team Star

Dec 14, 2012, 1:39 PM

Post #4 of 16 (3432 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Sale Holmfield] Postponements [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

So if the midweek game is also postponed, is it then rearranged for the following midweek, or the following Saturday?

Edit:
Just found the answer to my question on our own forum. If Tuesday's off it is apparently going to be Tueday 8th January.

There are 10 types of people in this world. Those who understand binary and those who don't.

(This post was edited by DaveU on Dec 14, 2012, 1:44 PM)

MarkInGorleston
First Team Star

Dec 14, 2012, 2:49 PM

Post #5 of 16 (3400 views)
Shortcut

I am preety sure they would not of played it on Boxing Day, New Years Day so you would of had these fixtures guaranteed.

I would laugh my head off if AFCW went down along with ColUwe and We**ham.

John Treleven
Qatar World Cup bid member! / Moderator

Dec 14, 2012, 5:48 PM

Team(s):

Post #6 of 16 (3363 views)
Shortcut

More of a problem at Vase and Sunday Cup level

6 Vase games were off last Saturday out of the 32

1 fixed for Tuesday & 1 for Wednesday (both off again and re-fixed for tomorrow, Saturday) other 4 went straight from one Saturday to another.

Imagine similar scenario if not played tomorrow.

F.A.Sunday Cup is worse as after three successive postponements 4 ties still need to be played

and as a consequence those 4 (if they get played) will have to play the next round next Sunday (23rd) - a week late

None of those teams play midweek so for at least 4 teams they will have lost 5 successive league fixtures, more if the poor weather continues.

MarkInGorleston
First Team Star

Dec 15, 2012, 9:46 AM

Post #7 of 16 (3269 views)
Shortcut
Re: [John Treleven] Postponements [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Ely City of the Eastern Counties should be playing today, in the FA Vase, hopefully they will win.

DaveU
First Team Star

Dec 18, 2012, 1:09 PM

Post #8 of 16 (3124 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Witham Mark] Postponements [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Having booked time off work to travel up Friday night for Saturdays postponed game at Halifax, it seems quite a few Maidstone players have been unable to get time off for tonights game, resulting us having to make up the numbers with reserve/youth team players, meaning our chances of getting anything out of the game must now be virtually non-existent. Surely there must be a better solution than to give a part-time away team such a massive disadvantage before a ball is kicked.Unsure

Still, good luck to Halifax...not their fault our players have to work.

MarkInGorleston
First Team Star

Dec 18, 2012, 5:32 PM

Post #9 of 16 (3082 views)
Shortcut

Do the FA only let Vase games rearranged due to weather to be played on a Saturday, are Trophy games only midweek? It does seem unfair as both cups are competed by non league.

(This post was edited by Witham Mark on Dec 18, 2012, 5:33 PM)

John Treleven
Qatar World Cup bid member! / Moderator

Dec 18, 2012, 6:14 PM

Team(s):

Post #10 of 16 (3067 views)
Shortcut

Trophy always midweek, Vase majority go to next Saturday

6 Vase off last week (8th Dec), - new dates were - 1 Tues (PP again to Sat), 1 Wed (PP again to Sat), 4 straight to Sat

Of those 6, 2 PP again, one now tonight, the other Sat

blackdouglas
Chelsea Transfer Target

Dec 18, 2012, 6:34 PM

Team(s): See signature for clubs

Post #11 of 16 (3063 views)
Shortcut

Both competitions may be competed for by non-league clubs, but the boundary between the qualification levels of Vase & Trophy is also a watershed in level of expectations of clubs. Clubs that qualify for the Trophy are expected to show a level of professionalism that enables them to participate in mid-week games like Maidstone have tonight. Clubs that qualify for the Vase on the other hand can be seen as more amateur in standing therefore travelling an excessive distance to complete a tie mid-week is more problematic. That's why some of the more local ties can be arranged for mid-week but some games are held over to the following Saturday. It could also be a throwback to the days before floodlights became a mandatory requirement for entry to the Vase, meaning there was no guarantee postponements & replays could be rearranged for mid-week.

Northwood, Threave Rovers, Arsenal, Rangers (the real ones, NOT qpr),Watford, Rochdale, queen of the south and a few others.

DaveU
First Team Star

Dec 18, 2012, 7:04 PM

Post #12 of 16 (3053 views)
Shortcut
Re: [blackdouglas] Postponements [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Clubs that qualify for the Trophy are expected to show a level of professionalism that enables them to participate in mid-week games like Maidstone have tonight.

That is a totally unrealistic expectation, as it would mean step 4 clubs forking out to go full time. It doesn't matter how professional your set up, if your players can't get time off work to travel the length of the country for a midweek game, you're stuffed. Surely that's why everything below BS Premier is regionalised.

blackdouglas
Chelsea Transfer Target

Dec 18, 2012, 7:26 PM

Team(s): See signature for clubs

Post #13 of 16 (3042 views)
Shortcut

That is a totally unrealistic expectation, as it would mean step 4 clubs forking out to go full time. It doesn't matter how professional your set up, if your players can't get time off work to travel the length of the country for a midweek game, you're stuffed. Surely that's why everything below BS Premier is regionalised.

I never said it was fair.

Northwood, Threave Rovers, Arsenal, Rangers (the real ones, NOT qpr),Watford, Rochdale, queen of the south and a few others.

DaveU
First Team Star

Dec 18, 2012, 11:28 PM

Post #14 of 16 (3007 views)
Shortcut
Re: [blackdouglas] Postponements [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Absolutely Gutted. 60 seconds away from a replay.Frown
Have to take solace in the old cliche...At least we can concentrate on the league now.

yorkieexile
First Team Star

Dec 19, 2012, 9:37 AM

Team(s): Halifax, Groundhopper

Post #15 of 16 (2963 views)
Shortcut

I was not at the game but did follow it on twitter. It does sound as though you were very unlucky to lose so late in the game.

I agree it is harsh that you were not able to bring a full choice first team, but I guess the alternative is that if it was rearranged for, say, this Saturday, then Colwyn Bay would feel aggrieved as a potentially fairly lucrative home hgame v FCHT would have to be rearranged, and whoever Maidstone are due to play would have an unexpected free Saturday.

No easy solution that will please everyone

Just as a matter of interest, how many fans were you expecting to bring to the original game on Saturday? Reported on twitter that you had 37 there last night

DaveU
First Team Star

Dec 19, 2012, 1:10 PM

Post #16 of 16 (2941 views)
Shortcut
Re: [yorkieexile] Postponements [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

There were two coaches fully booked and a fair number making their own way up, so probably in the region of 200.

In the end it was a reasonably strong 11 on the pitch, all be it with only one recognised striker. However we had a very young and inexperienced bench which is probably why they didn't use any of them, which I think handicapped us towards the end as the 11 on the pitch tired.

(This post was edited by DaveU on Dec 19, 2012, 1:13 PM)

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3