What is the most privileged sport?

burrow
Youth Team Sub

Oct 14, 2012, 1:15 PM

Team(s): Chester FC

Post #1 of 14 (1064 views)
Shortcut
What is the most privileged sport? Can't Post or Reply Privately

What must be the most privileged sport in the world where most men would just love to participate but millions never even get a smell in. There are only 25 very rich players in the whole world but with a little training anyone could do it.
You must know what I'm talking about, F1 racing.
Can you think of any more sports where there are only a few players and is a closed shop.

All these different languages the world over yet there is only one when you laugh or cry. burrow

garethwrexy
Man City Transfer Target!

Oct 14, 2012, 1:29 PM

Team(s): wrexham and dulwich

Post #2 of 14 (1060 views)
Shortcut
Re: [burrow] What is the most privileged sport? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

golf !

wrexham fc fa trophy winners 2013 !

bakis
Reserve Team Regular

Oct 14, 2012, 1:41 PM

Team(s): Kidderminster Harriers

Post #3 of 14 (1053 views)
Shortcut
Re: [garethwrexy] What is the most privileged sport? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

F1 surely has to be regarded as the 'top division' of motor sport rather than a sport on its own, but even at lower levels I guess that motor port is expensive and theerfore privileged. Polo must be a contender, those ponies don't come cheap, but how about the Eton Wall Game?

burrow
Youth Team Sub

Oct 14, 2012, 1:42 PM

Post #4 of 14 (1053 views)
Shortcut
Re: [garethwrexy] What is the most privileged sport? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Golf is fairly privileged but it is open to every one and it isn't difficult to get into. It doesn't matter how awful you play you always get a handicap. It is just the initial cost of all the equipment and clothing and then the club's subscription and then the green fees.

All these different languages the world over yet there is only one when you laugh or cry. burrow

DonQuixote
Chelsea Transfer Target

Oct 14, 2012, 2:36 PM

Team(s): Romford, Everton, @BrentwoodSunLge

Post #5 of 14 (1044 views)
Shortcut
Re: [burrow] What is the most privileged sport? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

There are no green fees once you've paid your membership.

Horse racing don't come cheap, neither does tall ship racing.

FA Vase semi programme wanted: 2001 Taunton v Clitheroe.

burrow
Youth Team Sub

Oct 14, 2012, 6:28 PM

Post #6 of 14 (1024 views)
Shortcut
Re: [DonQuixote] What is the most privileged sport? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

What I was getting at in my original post is the number of drivers that take part. There, the privileged few are only 25 in number. It must be the smallest number of players of any sport in the world. Of course, I'm not including all the mechanics of all the teams because at the end of the day it's only the drivers that are the privileged.

wishmaster3211
First Team Star

Oct 14, 2012, 8:01 PM

Team(s): Calne Town, Darlington, Rosenborg, Sussex CCC, Huddersfield RL

Post #7 of 14 (1004 views)
Shortcut

Dont know about Privileged but it gets my award for "Hyped out of all proportion to its entertainment value". After a brief flirtation with overtaking earlier in the season, they have now worked out the rules and the last couple of races have held my attention for all of about 2 laps, with the result being largely determined by grid position.

"Run For the Hills Before They Burn"

Checkout my Facebook page "Proper Football Grounds"

facebook.com/paul.fergusson

Tivvy_Al
First Team Sub

Oct 14, 2012, 10:42 PM

Post #8 of 14 (984 views)
Shortcut
Re: [wishmaster3211] What is the most privileged sport? [In reply to] Can't Post or

Regardless of what you think of it personally, poor Burrow seems a little confused.

The figure of 25, for a start, twice mentioned. Why 25? It isn't 25. It has never been 25.

And it was already pointed out that F1, or Formula One as it used to be called, isn't a sport. Just like the Premier league isn't a sport. Granted motor racing in general may be a rich kids playground, but Formula One isn't exclusive to the rest. Only the more talented rich kids get to the top, the others might do briefly but don't hang around.

The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time, and still retain the ability to function. -- F. Scott Fitzgerald

DonQuixote
Chelsea Transfer Target

Oct 14, 2012, 11:17 PM

Team(s): Romford, Everton, @BrentwoodSunLge

Post #9 of 14 (973 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Tivvy_Al] What is the most privileged sport? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Regardless of ones' status and financial backing, talent for any sport comes into play.
This conjures up the following image..being second best to Pippa Middleton in a cycling race.
I'd be happy to play second fiddle just to have constant view of her ass for an indeterminate period of time... Tongue

FA Vase semi programme wanted: 2001 Taunton v Clitheroe.

Isaac

Oct 15, 2012, 10:02 AM

Team(s): ABMU

Post #10 of 14 (945 views)
Shortcut
Re: [wishmaster3211] What is the most privileged sport? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Dont know about Privileged but it gets my award for "Hyped out of all proportion to its entertainment value". After a brief flirtation with overtaking earlier in the season, they have now worked out the rules and the last couple of races have held my attention for all of about 2 laps, with the result being largely determined by grid position.

My thoughts exactly, more of a procession than a race.

Mishi

Oct 15, 2012, 11:07 AM

Team(s): Dulwich Hamlet

Post #11 of 14 (936 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Isaac] What is the most privileged sport? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

On the rare occasions I used to tune in to Formula One, I would get bored after the 'first bend', as that's when the early prangs tended to be...in case you haven't worked out by that-it's not my favourite sport!

Grounds visited: 741
Last new ground: Old Roan FC; John Roan Playing Fields; Kidrooke Park Road, London, SE3. (Bromley & South London Football Alliance Division One)
Last game: Tuesday 20th August 2019: Fisher 0 Erith Town 0 -abandoned at half time due to partial fllodlight failure [Southern Counties East League Premier Division]
Matches watched this season: 21
2017/18-New English grounds: 3; & foreign: 0

PaulC

Oct 15, 2012, 2:30 PM

Team(s): AFC Darwen, Troon, Ayr Utd, Burnley

Post #12 of 14 (909 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
golf !

Golf? The sport of the masses in Scotland.

UKPunk

Oct 15, 2012, 10:26 PM

Post #13 of 14 (873 views)
Shortcut
Re: [PaulC] What is the most privileged sport? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

In Reply To
golf !

Golf? The sport of the masses in Scotland.

Whoever it was that said the sport of golf spoils a good walk has my agreement. I can't stand it although I do like to hear that Europe has beaten the USA in the Ryder Cup.

1-0-1-0-4-25-40-65-181-289=606

Last game: Mon 20/8/18
4. Basford United 1 Hednesford Town 2

pitch 63
First Team Star

Oct 16, 2012, 7:12 AM

Post #14 of 14 (852 views)
Shortcut
Re: [UKPunk] What is the most privileged sport? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Sky diving from 24 miles up? Only one taker so far.

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3