Home: All Other Football Interests: All other football:
How to choose a team

cope1
Man City Transfer Target!

Sep 17, 2012, 8:23 PM

Post #1 of 24 (4261 views)
Shortcut
How to choose a team Can't Post or Reply Privately

This is really a theoretical question as the situation rarely arises but I am interested to know what methods people use to pick a team to follow, in situations where the usual criteria do not exist.

For example, to greater and lesser degrees I support/follow/look out for the following teams. I have indicated why in each case:

Arsenal - my dad supported them
Barnet - I grew up and live in Barnet
Crouch End Vampires - grew up with and then played for them
East Barnet Old Grammarians - played for
Boreham Wood - played for BW Youth so keep an eye out still
Hearts - play in maroon and white - the only team I knew of who did so other than my beloved Vampires. Everyone else had maroon and blue, or so it seemed when I was a kid
Eintracht Frankfurt - sister is married to a German who supports them, loosely (although has, I am pleased to say, taken a lot more interest since he met me!).
New York Yankees - lived in NY state from the age of 5-8 and my uncle bought me a t-shirt (honestly, I'm not a glory hunter!)

There are others I could come up with but you get the idea - in each case there are clear reasons. But what about Sweden, for example? I have recently taken an interest in the country including its football but I have no link to any of the teams. The best I can do is AIK Solna who I saw play Arsenal at Wembley in about 1999.

What methods would any of you apply to the clubs in the Allsvenkan (or other divisions) to reduce the number down to the 1 you will nominally follow (until obsession subsides)?

Over to you!

PhilT
Reserve Team Regular

Sep 17, 2012, 8:59 PM

Team(s): Peterborough United

Post #2 of 24 (4251 views)
Shortcut
Re: [cope1] How to choose a team [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
This is really a theoretical question as the situation rarely arises but I am interested to know what methods people use to pick a team to follow, in situations where the usual criteria do not exist.

When I was about 7, before I knew anything at all about football, I decided I needed to 'support' a team as everyone else at school did so. Not wanting to be regarded as a glory hunter, or to pick anyone crap, I decided to take the first division table and pick the team that finished exactly half way down. 11th out of 22 that year were Manchester United, so they became my team at school.

Even when I started going to support my local clubs I retained some loyalty to them, until about the time I left school, when I lost interest in a team I never got to watch. By the time I did see them for the first time, at the 83 Cup Final replay, I was rooting for Brighton as the underdogs.

oxpete
Chelsea Transfer Target

Sep 18, 2012, 1:21 PM

Team(s): Pompey

Post #3 of 24 (4202 views)
Shortcut
Re: [PhilT] How to choose a team [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

In Reply To

When I was about 7, before I knew anything at all about football, I decided I needed to 'support' a team as everyone else at school did so. Not wanting to be regarded as a glory hunter, or to pick anyone crap, I decided to take the first division table and pick the team that finished exactly half way down. 11th out of 22 that year were Manchester United, so they became my team at school.

After watching Manchester United 4 Portsmouth 1 on the last day of the 1987/88 season (Pompey had already been relegated), I was running for the train at Manchester Picaddilly and unknown to me dropped my train ticket on the platform as I jumped on board. A Man.Utd fan on the train pointed it out to me and held the door open while I jumped out to retrieve it and jump back on board as the train left. I wouldn'y say I've got a soft spot for them, but I always remember that and make sure I cheer them on when they play Liverpool/Arsenal/Spurs/Chelsea/Redknapp or anyone else I can't stand (and wasn't Van Persie's hattrick against Saints brilliant?!!)

The first football match I ever saw on telly was Liverpool 4 Newcastle United 0 in the 1974 FA Cup Final when I was five. I watched on a black & white telly, so Newcastle's kit looked great while Liverpool's looked grey and dull, and as my mum fancied Kevin Keegan, so I chose to support Newcastle. Even though I was only five I can still remember how brilliant I thought John Toshack was that day, and this in turn made me follow Swansea City when Toshack moved there, and that in turn made me move to Swansea as a student when I was 18.

(This post was edited by oxpete on Sep 18, 2012, 1:21 PM)

buncranaboy
Qatar World Cup bid member!

Sep 18, 2012, 1:31 PM

Team(s): Barnstoneworth United; Bostock Stanley

Post #4 of 24 (4197 views)
Shortcut
Re: [oxpete] How to choose a team [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
The first football match I ever saw on telly was Liverpool 4 Newcastle United 0 in the 1974 FA Cup Final when I was five. I watched on a black & white telly, so Newcastle's kit looked great while Liverpool's looked grey and dull, and as my mum fancied Kevin Keegan, so I chose to support Newcastle.

Only 3-0 I'm afraid Oxpete. And I turned down a ticket...............

Part-Timer
Chelsea Transfer Target

Sep 18, 2012, 1:52 PM

Team(s): Brentford, Bradford City, Peterborough United, Yaxley

Post #5 of 24 (4190 views)
Shortcut
Re: [buncranaboy] How to choose a team [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

In Reply To
The first football match I ever saw on telly was Liverpool 4 Newcastle United 0 in the 1974 FA Cup Final when I was five. I watched on a black & white telly, so Newcastle's kit looked great while Liverpool's looked grey and dull, and as my mum fancied Kevin Keegan, so I chose to support Newcastle.

Only 3-0 I'm afraid Oxpete. And I turned down a ticket...............

But they did have one disallowed for offside, which may have gone over the head of a five-year-old.Tongue

Mister TwoU
First Team Star

Sep 18, 2012, 6:41 PM

Team(s): Malvern Town F,C,

Post #6 of 24 (4159 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Part-Timer] How to choose a team [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I suppose I'm the type of person the OP was indicating, arriving from 'foreign parts' at a tender age, with no preconceived allegiance to any team already set in my mind.

We settled in Bo'ness, so I immediately started to support the local Junior club at Newtown Park.

Any other teams I tend to look for results are naturally our local rivals, teams which have only recently 'come up' into e.g. the SFL - Annan & the ex-HFL sides (and also Clydebank & Gretna 2008 for obvious reasons), teams in other SJFL Regions whom I have seen us play in the Junior Cup and have been particularly entertaining.

As far as English teams are concerned, I don't really have favourites beyond those whose names please me. I'm utterly fascinated by the Leagues and their organisation and histories throughout the UK & Ireland, so couldn't really pick just a few from the thousands there be!

That's it for me. A bit boring I suppose.

Professional cretin.

Leyther_Matt
First Team Star

Sep 19, 2012, 3:33 PM

Team(s): Hibernian, Bolton Wanderers, Atherton Collieries & Leigh Centurions RL

Post #7 of 24 (4101 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Mister TwoU] How to choose a team [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I support Hibernian after visiting Edinburgh as a kid (7 or 8 years old) and seeing Easter Road from Calton Hill. On meeting fellow fans over the years, I'm far from the only one with a similar story.

footiemug
Youth Team Sub

Sep 19, 2012, 3:39 PM

Team(s): Eastbourne teams

Post #8 of 24 (4101 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Mister TwoU] How to choose a team [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In 1968 i got one of the first football sticker albums as my Dad was a newsagent.most of the teams
were playing in red or blue,but one shirt shouted at me.The black and white stripes of Newcastle.
So that was that,not many Newcastle fans at school in Eastbourne in the late sixties and seventies.

These are my teams....
Newcastle Utd. Loved the shirt.
Norwich City. my Dads team as the family come from Norfolk.
Brighton & Hove Albion. My nearest league club.
Northampton Town. My grandad's team.
Stirling Albion. moved to scotland for a couple of years and got a season ticket.Loved every minute.
Eastbourne Utd afc. As a kid would go every week and meet all my school mates.

(This post was edited by footiemug on Sep 19, 2012, 3:40 PM)

splodge
Chelsea Transfer Target

Sep 20, 2012, 2:33 AM

Post #9 of 24 (4050 views)
Shortcut
Re: [footiemug] How to choose a team [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Fareham Town - working every Saturday at the time and in 1986-87 had plenty of Sunday games following mammoth FA Cup/Trophy runs. Went along one Sunday v Kings Lynn. Won 4-1 and it was like the old lottery advert with the hand and a voice of god saying "its you"

Harlow Town - born and raised there. My older brothers wouldn't dream of me going with them to Spurs or West Ham and there was no way my mum would let me go on my own, so I and some mates used to go to The Sportscentre to cheer on The Owls. Fortunately at that time 1977-81 was probably their most successful period.

Brechin City - Junior school geography project in around 1976 (mrs Patey's class). Pick a Scottish team out of the hat and do a project on the town, and I picked Brechin. Can't remember anything about what I wrote about them! Glad I didn't get Queen of the South or St Mirren.

Borussia Dortmund - Brother in the army (RIP John) was stationed there. Took me there several times before he left the army and moved back to the UK. Been back a few times and seen them away a few times too. An afternoon or evening stood on the Sudtribune is something everyone really needs to do before they die. There's no atmosphere like it anywhere - amazingly including Cams Alders! Shocked

www.twitter.com/splodgey
www.facebook.com/paulsplodgeproctor

yorkieexile
First Team Star

Sep 20, 2012, 9:05 AM

Team(s): Halifax, Groundhopper

Post #10 of 24 (4027 views)
Shortcut
Re: [splodge] How to choose a team [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

When I started watching football, I was at school, and the support was perhaps 75:25. Huddersfield being the more popular and Leeds second favourite. On the day of my first game both teams were at home in the FA Cup 4th round, and I chose to go to see Leeds 6 Bury 0

I finally fell out of love with Leeds when I saw a game at Easter 1971, which was Huddersfield 0 Leeds 0, and Leeds showed no ambition to win

Next week I went along to Barnsley, which was alright (an early form of groundhopping) but the following Saturday went to Halifax v Gillingham - which was very enjoyable so I switched support to Halifax. Sadly, it was many seasons of struggle, until I finally got into hopping in the early 1990s

Of the teams I have a soft spot for

Premier League: Wigan (despite them knocking Halifax out of the FA Cup in 1971) and whoever is playing Manchester United
Championship: Huddersfield Town
Conference: Cambridge United (my second ever non-league game)
France: Luzenac - from a small village in the Pyrennees, playing in their National Ligue
Germany: no real soft spot for anyone, but all my big games there have been very good for atmosphere. Borussia and Freiburg are perhaps my favourites
Scotland: Ross County and St Johnstone

leohoenig
Administrator

Sep 20, 2012, 9:38 AM

Team(s): Cheltenham Town

Post #11 of 24 (4020 views)
Shortcut
Re: [yorkieexile] How to choose a team [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

My first inclination as an answer to this question, is the best way to choose the team is to build a strong defense, and then work to get the best out of your more talented players.

However, as that is not the real question I will answer properly.
At primary school, i.e. less than teenager, and while I had never seen a game, I choose a team and this included my first two footballing heroes, Peter Osgood and Peter Bonetti. In those days, Match of the Day and the Big Match covered only 6 games (or was it 5) between them and live football was limited to cup finals and England - Scotland. I became football aware at a time when England were World Champions, but did not actually see the 66 World cup on TV.

My grandfather took me to one or two games at barking's old ground, but I was more interested in watching trains behind the ground.
In 1973, I went to my first Hillingdon Borough game, and was immediately hooked. Hillingdon were actually in decline at the time, having reached their peak a couple of years earlier. The whole affair lasted less than a decade before the team folded.

In the 80s, I was a fully fledged groundhopper, and did a lot to attach the name to the hobby. I think its my fault. I had some attachment to clubs I regularly saw where I lived, Waterlooville and Bognor Regis (thanks to Jack Pearce, who would always give me a lift to matches) from Portsmouth, and then CHeltenham when I moved there. Those who know the Portsmouth area may be slightly impressed, especially seeing my frame these days, by the fact I could cycle to Waterlooville midweek games. Havant were still in Hampshire League division 2 at the Front Lawn.

Through the mid-eighties and nineties, I retained an attachment to Cheltenham, even after I moved away from the area. I would revisit because they were playing locally to me midweek, see them when they visited new grounds (Wycombe and Yeovil were both ticked for Cheltenham), etc.

By the late nineties, I had noted a slight cooling in my groundhopping. I could see some of the more senior groundhoppers going ever further and lower in search of the new ground and the idea of regularly travelling 200 miles to basic fields did not move me. Two things kept me going - foreign football, which I had discovered in 1989 allowed a much higher level of football when I could afford it, while CHeltenham's sudden successes persuaded me to hold a season ticket, this is my 14th season.

So in a quicker answer to the original question - the original choice of teams was geography, but once committed, miles do not matter.

Fat AND Pompous.
The proof that you can have too much of a good thing
Now blogging at http://www.leohoenig.com

cope1

Sep 20, 2012, 11:13 AM

Post #12 of 24 (4007 views)
Shortcut
Re: [leohoenig] How to choose a team [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Has anyone conducted any kind of logical study of a set of teams to pick one? I mean, perhaps trying to decide which team in Sweden most closely matches the club you support at home or maybe going even further and looking for a club you think somehow matches your personality?

My problem with the latter is that I don't consider myself to matched to teams that win things all the time. Not because I have issues with self esteem but because I've always enjoyed and appreciated being part of teams - in football or any other walk of life - which work hard to achieve things relative to their position. Guys I went to school with who were not as good at football as me would end up winning the league by joining a good team. I would play as perhaps one of the best players in a weaker team and be pleased with avoiding relegation. To my mind, I had achieved more than the lads who just tagged along with good teams. I digress... I am an Arsenal fan first and foremost and although they haven't won anything for seven years they are the third most successful team in England and, by most standards, one of the big clubs who win stuff so when I try and fit them to a club in another country I end disappointed as the club I choose appear to be an easy choice for a glory hunter.

So, I am interested in trying to devise a way of judging - I suppose that's the best word - clubs in different parts of the world to decide which I think is most deserving of my support. Of course, what I will probably find is that support is not a logically activity so I won't give a monkey's about the 'most deserving' at the end of the day.

jimmyjazz
Chelsea Transfer Target

Sep 20, 2012, 7:40 PM

Team(s):

Post #13 of 24 (3970 views)
Shortcut
Re: [cope1] How to choose a team [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

England - top flight Tottenham Hotspur - Family, first ever game. Not interested in top-flight so much these days.

England - Football League. Northampton Town Invited by a close friend in the early nineties after my disastrous foray into MK non-league football. Either these or Luton, still think I made the right choice. No affinity with the town.

England - Non League Enfield Lived there, invited by Steve King (fans favourite) to watch. Hooked on non-league at the age of 11. Enfield 1893, not been this season, I still care but nowhere near as much.

Also Wolverton Moved to MK aged 13. followed these until they suddenly folded.

Halesworth Town Grandparents lived there. Lovely part of the world.

Scotland - Stirling Albion Birthplace and like Joseph one day I'll go back there forever.

France - Rennes / St. Etienne Close to surname / cool band & cool kit

Belgium Standard Liege First Belgian tick.

Germany Cologne First overseas game and those who've done Bundesliga know how much better the fan experience is. Cracking ground and fantastic city. A home from home.

Russia Zenit St. Petersburg Dad lives there

In summary a combination of family , places loved and kit colours.

buncranaboy
Qatar World Cup bid member!

Sep 20, 2012, 8:49 PM

Team(s): Barnstoneworth United; Bostock Stanley

Post #14 of 24 (3963 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jimmyjazz] How to choose a team [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Liverpool - my dad's brother was back-up doctor to the club and I lived with his family for a couple of years whilst taking A Levels. Seemed the thing to do......

Derry City - 12 miles from home. Big team for an impressionable kid to follow and Dad brought me a few times

Finn Harps - Derry's demise and the birth of a "proper" club in Donegal. Natural progression, for most of the players too

Republic of Ireland - First and last and always...............

(This post was edited by buncranaboy on Sep 20, 2012, 11:18 PM)

UKPunk

Sep 20, 2012, 11:05 PM

Post #15 of 24 (3946 views)
Shortcut
Re: [buncranaboy] How to choose a team [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Tottenham Hotspur

I'm the fourth generation of Spurs supporters in our family. Sadly the line stops there as my girls hate football and the lad has a liking for Ipswich Town. Unsure

My dad took me to my first Spurs game when I was nine but I'd been nagging him for ages before that. I remember being no more than 5 or 6 and being allowed to stay up for Match Of The Day. I have a vague memory of one of the games being QPR v Liverpool but can't be sure.

I still count myself as a supporter even though I rarely get to 'The Lane' these days. If I won the lottery I'd put my name down on the waiting list for a season ticket and just hop when they're playing away, but until that happens the combination of the price of a ticket and travelling to and from Clacton renders that venture largely prohibitive.

1-0-1-0-4-25-40-65-181-289=606

Last game: Mon 20/8/18
4. Basford United 1 Hednesford Town 2

thowdreds
Youth Team Star

Sep 21, 2012, 8:59 AM

Team(s): Accrington Stanley, Blackburn Rovers, BurnleyLeicester City, Halesowen Town

Post #16 of 24 (3912 views)
Shortcut
Re: [UKPunk] How to choose a team [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Was brought up going to Blackburn Rovers and Burnley alternate weeks. When they played each other I was told I'd have to decide which team to support and said I'd support whoever won. Rovers won 4-1, their only away win of the 1965-6 season so became a Rovers supporter but still went to Burnley and supported them against everybody else.

Went to Great Harwood midweek which got me into non league and then Accy Stanley when they reformed.

Leicester City from my time at University and Halesowen Town from living there for a few years.

Fell out of love with football late eighties, early nineties but was persuaded to go to Barnet to see Stanley during their first season in the Conference. It finished 0-0 but I was hooked again.

garethwrexy

Sep 21, 2012, 4:30 PM

Team(s): wrexham and dulwich

Post #17 of 24 (3875 views)
Shortcut
Re: [thowdreds] How to choose a team [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

i just fell in love with wrexham and dulwich Wink

wrexham fc fa trophy winners 2013 !

UKPunk

Sep 21, 2012, 8:32 PM

Post #18 of 24 (3851 views)
Shortcut
Re: [garethwrexy] How to choose a team [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
i just fell in love with wrexham and dulwich Wink

Would you care to elaborate Gareth? You may or may not have noticed that most if not all contributors to this interesting thread have also told us why they follow their club(s). For example why did you fall in love with Dulwich and Wrexham?

garethwrexy

Sep 22, 2012, 9:38 AM

Post #19 of 24 (3825 views)
Shortcut

wrexham reason, family from north wales and it was 1997-1998 team really made me a big fan back then,

dulwich hamlet friend brought me along to a match in late 1999, then 2000-2001 season i started going, just liked all the friendly faces there really,

MistaFozzII
First Team Regular

Sep 25, 2012, 9:10 AM

Team(s): Darlingto

Post #20 of 24 (3707 views)
Shortcut
Re: [garethwrexy] How to choose a team [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I have never really supported one team passionately, I have enjoyed certain teams at certain times

Sunderland:- My granddad took me to Roker Park in the late 80's
Aston Villa:- Had a decent enough side in the late 80's and early 90's , and I wanted to be different
Newcastle:- Played some great football Keegan in mid 90's
Darlington:- My Ex took me to a game 6 years and I fell in love with the club

The Newcastle/Sunderland thing is because where I am from your either one or the other, I liked both and having friends who liked one or the other meant I was constantly exposed to both sides of the Tyne and Wear Divide.

Nowadays, I am passionate about Darlington

Mista Fozz

Husband, Dad, Mascot Extraordinaire and all round Idiot

nisi tu Deus, qui possit iudicare
My Facebook Profile
My Twitter Feed

UKPunk

Sep 25, 2012, 9:14 PM

Post #21 of 24 (3675 views)
Shortcut
Re: [MistaFozzII] How to choose a team [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Nowadays, I am passionate about Darlington

And I thought I was unlucky being a Spurs supporter (given Darlington's current predicament). Unsure

PonteCarlo
First Team Star

Sep 26, 2012, 11:49 AM

Team(s): Grimsby Town, Pontefract Collieries

Post #22 of 24 (3633 views)
Shortcut

Grimsby Town - Purely because it was the first team I saw play, v Bradford City in the 2002-2003 season. 0-0 draw, for some reason I stayed with them! I'd always had a soft spot for Grimsby as I liked the colours and they always seemed to defy the odds and stay in Division One, despite always being predicted to finish 24th.
Ever since I've followed them though, we have had three relegations and no success!!!

Pontefract Collieries - When I moved back to my hometown around ten years ago, I'd always said to myself I must go and watch them at some point. Became a regular after that, and then got roped into doing the programme, teamsheets, announcements, match reports......Unsure. Again, another team with no success at all!

Motherwell - Always absolutely loved the colours, and when a Bradford City supporting friend said he also had a soft spot for them we started going to games occasionally. And with McCall in charge, being the nice Yorkshire chap he is, makes it even more pleasurable to be a fan! Currently sitting at the top of the SPL, definitely the must successful of the clubs I support.

As for other teams, I don't really 'support' anyone else, although I have a soft spot for Deportivo La Coruna and Empoli (and have about 5 shirts of each!!) - especially the latter as I think they are the smallest town to host top flight football in one of the major European countries, the other more famous one being Villareal. I was fascinated how they punched above their weight, in the same way I got into Grimsby really.

So yeah, of the three times I support, I'm still waiting for any kind of success - be it promotion, a title or a cup. Needless to say, I've become a very pessimistic fan over the years but it looks like Grimsby may finally be getting some kind of a settled and successful team together? Famous last words

Proud spectator of real football.

Hop, hop, hopping on heaven's door

garethwrexy

Sep 27, 2012, 11:23 AM

Post #23 of 24 (3566 views)
Shortcut
Re: [PonteCarlo] How to choose a team [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

suppose rangers are my 3rd team, cant really explane why i like them !

D A
First Team Star

Sep 27, 2012, 11:28 AM

Team(s): Airstrip 1.

Post #24 of 24 (3564 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
suppose rangers are my 3rd team, cant really explane why i like them !

Brickfield ?

'I'm not cynical. I'm just experienced'.
29/11/2012. Anyone need numbers for Cheddar F C please p/m.

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3