Post #1 of 22 (3283 views)
Shortcut
11 years since 9/11 Can't Post or Reply Privately

RIP

wrexham fc fa trophy winners 2013 !

Andrelux
First Team Regular

Sep 11, 2012, 4:53 PM

Team(s): Brentford (for my sins - obviously done something really bad in a past life

Post #2 of 22 (3239 views)
Shortcut
Re: [garethwrexy] 11 years since 9/11 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Bizarre memories:

Was driving with a colleague having finished a meeting in some godforsaken town in the Netherlands to a hotel in some other godforsaken spot (somewhere up North... you can imagine). Had the radio on in the car, and the music was interrupted by (apologies to dutch speakers)

"En nu, dutch, dutch, dutch, de Twin Towers, dutch, dutch..."

Our first reaction (shows how parochial we were) was "Why are they talking about Wembley?"

Switched over to the World Service, which at the time was broadcasting rumours about dozens of planes flying around out of control. It sounded like the Third World War had started.

Got to the hotel, and watched the TV in the lobby. Gobsmacked - reaction was "Fck... in.... ell!!?". There was talk of 10 or even 20 thousand dead. We were just open mouthed. The best of 9 pool championship we'd planned was put on hold.

Back in the office a couple of days later and British cyniscm reasserted itself. The company had offices in the UK and in Atlanta (bible-thumpers). One girl from the Atlanta office sent a mail around the company asking us to "light a candle for peace" (ahhh... bless....). My oppo's comment was "well, Osama Bin Ladin has just lit two f***ing great candles, and they don't seem very peaceful".

We never did really have a meeting of minds with the Atlanta office...

... mind you, imagine if the BBC had cut away from a tribute to the victims of 9/11 in a US Olympics opening ceremony to show an interview with a D-list celebrity instead. Now, NBC would never do anything like that....

oxonandy
Junior Team Sub

Sep 11, 2012, 7:04 PM

Post #3 of 22 (3216 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Andrelux] 11 years since 9/11 [In reply to] Can't Post or

Can remember it as if it was yesterday. Quite bizarre that they went ahead and played a full round of Champions league matches the same evening. Can't believe that players minds would have been totally focused on the games that evening.

chef66
Youth Team Star

Sep 11, 2012, 7:21 PM

Post #4 of 22 (3213 views)
Shortcut
Re: [oxonandy] 11 years since 9/11 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Was there only 2 days before at the Men's US Open Tennis Final. Arrived back the day before and was due to go back out the following Thursday for a wedding. The groom was in the towers when one of the planes hit but was on a lower floor so was unharmed. The wedding went ahead on the Friday with loads of people unable to fly due the 'no fly' situation (the Groom was English and the Bride was American). The grooms parents had already got to NYC so all the important people were there.

I evantually went to NYC at the end of Sept and went to ground zero and the scene was of incredible utter devastation. Both the site itself and also the missing posters. I found out a while later that an ex-colleagues sister died in one of the towers. Been watching some footage online recently. I hate the way the way the word 'hero' is banded around nowadays, but the firefighters who went up to help that day in the face of so much uncertainty, were truly in that category.

(This post was edited by chef66 on Sep 11, 2012, 7:29 PM)

Isaac
Man City Transfer Target!

Sep 11, 2012, 9:32 PM

Team(s): ABMU

Post #5 of 22 (3192 views)
Shortcut
Re: [chef66] 11 years since 9/11 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Yes the image of fire fighters going into the towers as everybody else was trying to get out is etched in my mind, I recall watching it live on TV that afternoon in almost disbelief.

garethwrexy

Sep 11, 2012, 10:04 PM

Team(s): wrexham and dulwich

Post #6 of 22 (3185 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Isaac] 11 years since 9/11 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

i was 15 and still at school when it happend.

wrexham fc fa trophy winners 2013 !

UKPunk

Sep 11, 2012, 10:44 PM

Post #7 of 22 (3172 views)
Shortcut
Re: [garethwrexy] 11 years since 9/11 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

You're 26 Gareth? Shocked

1-0-1-0-4-25-40-65-181-289=606

Last game: Mon 20/8/18
4. Basford United 1 Hednesford Town 2

D A
First Team Star

Sep 11, 2012, 10:50 PM

Team(s): Airstrip 1.

Post #8 of 22 (3168 views)
Shortcut
Re: [UKPunk] 11 years since 9/11 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

Well done Punky.

'I'm not cynical. I'm just experienced'.
29/11/2012. Anyone need numbers for Cheddar F C please p/m.

UKPunk

Sep 11, 2012, 11:00 PM

Post #9 of 22 (3164 views)
Shortcut
Re: [D A] 11 years since 9/11 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

In Reply To

Well done Punky.

I can assure you that my surprise is genuine D A. Unimpressed

stourboy
First Team Star

Sep 11, 2012, 11:08 PM

Team(s): Stourbridge FC, Sheffield Wednesday

Post #10 of 22 (3163 views)
Shortcut

Never to be forgotten day. Didn't completely sink in at the time as I was still at primary school but had quite a few sleepless nights after watching all the News 24 coverage constantly.

philglossop
Youth Team Star

Sep 12, 2012, 8:47 AM

Team(s):

Post #11 of 22 (3137 views)
Shortcut
Re: [stourboy] 11 years since 9/11 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Being a student at Uni at the time I'd been out the night before and recorded ITV's Survivor to watch in bed as I recovered from a gale force hangover. Never in my life before or luckily since have I turned on to BBC1 to see those events happen- and I agree it felt like World War 3 had started that afternoon.

Remember decamping to the pub in the evening- where even the busiest student pub in Plymouth was totally silent- bar people asking for a drink. Terrible terrible day hopefully never to be repeated.

kirby knitters
Qatar World Cup bid member!

Sep 12, 2012, 9:41 AM

Team(s): Hinckley United FC.

Post #12 of 22 (3124 views)
Shortcut
Re: [philglossop] 11 years since 9/11 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

i was sitting in a pub in the village which doesnt have a tvword started to filter what was happening and i rushed home and had sky news on for the next 12 hours,it was shocking.its a city ive visited a few times and love the place.

paignton-nick
Chelsea Transfer Target

Sep 12, 2012, 10:18 AM

Team(s): Stevenage FC & Buckland Athletic

Post #13 of 22 (3114 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To

In Reply To

In Reply To

Well done Punky.

I can assure you that my surprise is genuine D A. Unimpressed

As is mine. had him down for mid to late thirties.Shocked

Stevenage FC - Hertfordshire's finest!
Buckland Athletic- Pride of South Devon!

KnowYourMarket

Sep 17, 2012, 8:06 AM

Team(s): WBA, FC Saarbruecken, Brierley Hill Alliance (RIP)

Post #14 of 22 (3009 views)
Shortcut
Re: [paignton-nick] 11 years since 9/11 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Months?

Last ground visited(update requested by Spud): Wellington . New grounds 18/19: 38

gcnc

Sep 17, 2012, 8:28 AM

Team(s): Newport County

Post #15 of 22 (3005 views)
Shortcut
Re: [KnowYourMarket] 11 years since 9/11 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

It was our daughter's first day at a new school. I only remember sitting open-mouthed in front of the TV.

On the morning of 7/7 I was speaking at a meeting near Cardiff, and on the way home I clearly remember all the signs on the M4 displaying "London closed. Turn on radio".

paignton-nick
Chelsea Transfer Target

Sep 17, 2012, 11:13 AM

Team(s): Stevenage FC & Buckland Athletic

Post #16 of 22 (2988 views)
Shortcut
Re: [KnowYourMarket] 11 years since 9/11 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Months?

Harsh.... but fair! Angelic

Stevenage FC - Hertfordshire's finest!
Buckland Athletic- Pride of South Devon!

Runwell
Chelsea Transfer Target

Sep 18, 2012, 1:59 PM

Team(s): Team 'Impersonating other Twitter Users' - est. 2011

Post #17 of 22 (2933 views)
Shortcut
Re: [gcnc] 11 years since 9/11 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I would have been in the final year of VI Form. I was coming back from lunch, and went into the common room to see a few friends before next/final class at 2:15. Some were watching Neighbours in the background, and whilst talking to others, I heard the newsflash just after Neighbours. It sounded nasty but thought little of it. Obviously just after heading off to final lesson the second plane would have hit, and reality would have sunk in.

After class at 3:15, I made my way to the car park to drive off. After a few minutes on the road, I had Chris Moyles on Radio 1 doing his afternoon show, and unusually for him he seemed extremely downbeat and understated in his tone, so something was up. Then the full horror of what happened was revealed, and by the time I was home at 3:40, it was straight to the TV, glued for two and a half hours. Although I stopped listening to the radio when I pulled up outside the house, I know a lot of people still talk about how superbly Chris handled the unfolding events on his show, something which a lot of his detractors don't give him credit for.

Anyway, I was due to go to a match that evening, shocked they were still going ahead. I went to my chosen game, Heybridge Swifts v Canvey Island in Ryman Premier, and it finished 0-7. Didn't really take anything in from the game at all, with a very subdued atmosphere on the pitch and from the spectators. I was just glad to get home.

Strangely enough last tuesday 11th, on the anniversary, Heybridge were involved in another stange scoreline - Redbridge 0-8 Swifts. Funny coincidence eh.

Last match:
Monday 17th October 2016
Aveley 1-1 Phoenix Sports (Isthmian League Division 1 North)

Next scheduled match:
Tuesday 18th October 2016
Burnham Ramblers v Haringey & Waltham (Essex Senior League)

(This post was edited by Runwell on Sep 18, 2012, 2:00 PM)

jimmyjazz
Chelsea Transfer Target

Sep 18, 2012, 8:12 PM

Team(s):

Post #18 of 22 (2906 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Runwell] 11 years since 9/11 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Was a very busy day at my current employ and with no tv or radio accessible, drivers would come in and tell us Armageddon was occurring but we had no way of knowing.

I had to stop off for my shopping on the way home and the supermarket was full of ladies stocking up on cream cakes and other junk...to be honest by the time I got home and had watched the news coverage I was so down I played Championship Manager well into the early hours.

Had it not been for work I would have gone up to Middlesbrough that night, glad I didn't as frankly some things really are more important than football.

Mishi

Sep 18, 2012, 10:35 PM

Team(s): Dulwich Hamlet

Post #19 of 22 (2892 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jimmyjazz] 11 years since 9/11 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Without meaning this in the wrong way, I'm not sure how to explain it, but it was just a 'shock-wow!' day. I had a half day booked off work, as we were away to Thame United that night. As it was happening I was on my way to get some money out of the bank at Lewisham, & my phone went mad, with people texting me, & phoning...get to a television!

When we got to Marylebone station early doors, I was still drinking then, the pub was split...

Right in front of the box in the corner of the boozer were the well dressed commuters in suits, all in shock. They simply weren't speaking. I didn't ask any, but I would guess, as they were at a commuter station that had many 'well to do' destinations, that most of them would have known people personally who worked at the twin towers. Around ther perimeter of the pub were us lot, working class football fans, & an assortment of working class people, builders, that sort of thing, who were chsttering away, in a nervous " 'kin 'ell! " type stunned way. It was like, subconsciously, we had to give 'them' their space at the front.

For me personally, I just felt as sense of being part of a world changing moment, & this truly was history being made. I couldn't quite comprehend it all, even though I knew what was happening. Perhaps because it didn't affect me, or my 'world'.

I was much more deeply affected by the London tube/bus bombings, even though I also never knew anyone personally in that tragedy.

Oh, & we lost 4-2 that night.

Grounds visited: 741
Last new ground: Old Roan FC; John Roan Playing Fields; Kidrooke Park Road, London, SE3. (Bromley & South London Football Alliance Division One)
Last game: Tuesday 16th August 2019:Dulwich Hamlet 1, Wealdstone 0. [Vanarama National League South]
Matches watched this season: 17
2017/18-New English grounds: 3; & foreign: 0

VP

Sep 19, 2012, 12:39 AM

Post #20 of 22 (2875 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Mishi] 11 years since 9/11 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
I was much more deeply affected by the London tube/bus bombings,

I can understand that view point.
I remember 9/11 as it was my niece's 21st birthday that day. We were watching it unfold in a pub. I don't want to sound harsh but I grew up, as did many on here, during the IRA/UVFs busy period so, whilst 9/11 was terrible, it wasn't really shocking in my view. We'd seen it all happen many times before although not on such a scale.
Members of my family served in Northern Ireland and elsewhere during those dark days and have various scars, both physical and mental, from near misses and seeing all sorts of shit etc. I'm not taking sides as I know people fighting for the other side also have terrible tales to tell. I grew up on an estate with a sizeable Irish catholic population and they had families involved as well. It was a crazy time. The pub on the estate (now closed) was split between the Irish side and the English side and it wasn't always a pleasant place to be although us youngsters got along alright.
What I find sad is that youngsters today know all about 9/11 and 7/7 but ask them to name a single date from any atrocity committed by either side during 'the troubles' (I hate that term but I don't know what better word to use) and they look at you blankly.
I realise the stuff that went on in Ireland is a difficult subject to talk about to this day whereas I suppose 9/11 and 7/7 are easier because the so-called enemy isn't as close to us as the Irish are.

(This post was edited by VP on Sep 19, 2012, 1:01 AM)

LondonBuck
Chelsea Transfer Target

Sep 19, 2012, 1:40 AM

Team(s): AFC Telford United, Witham Town, Folkestone Invicta, Gillingham, Woking

Post #21 of 22 (2863 views)
Shortcut
Re: [VP] 11 years since 9/11 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

The one that shook me, literally, was the Bishopsgate bomb Shocked

637 GROUNDS - AFC Fylde(61/92)
582 WETHERSPOONS - Lytham
2 WETHERSPOONS HOTELS - Ripon

UKPunk

Sep 19, 2012, 10:06 PM

Post #22 of 22 (2810 views)
Shortcut
Re: [LondonBuck] 11 years since 9/11 [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
The one that shook me, literally, was the Bishopsgate bomb Shocked

I was at work at Sainsbury's when that one went off! I was working in the warehouse in the Watney Market branch and myself and the bloke I was working with went to find out why the building had shook. We were taken onto the roof by our assistant controller and could see the smoke in the distance.

I was on nights at Safeway and so was in the land of nod when 9/11 happened. The first I knew about it was when I went round to see Mrs UKPunk (the event happened shortly before we moved in together) and it was all over the news.

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3