Sticks and stones....

DonQuixote
Chelsea Transfer Target

Sep 1, 2012, 5:06 AM

Team(s): Romford, Everton, @BrentwoodSunLge

Post #1 of 10 (1032 views)
Shortcut
Sticks and stones.... Can't Post or Reply Privately

I see Frankie Boyle is getting grief from the taste police again.
So when did we all get so desensitised by comedic humour?

I thought he was spot on about Rebecca 'The Dolphin' Adlington
and anything that reduces Jordan - or is it Syria this week? - to
a quivering wreck is fine by me.

FA Vase semi programme wanted: 2001 Taunton v Clitheroe.

Matty
Reserve Team Star

Sep 1, 2012, 5:19 AM

Team(s): All things Derbyshire

Post #2 of 10 (1031 views)
Shortcut
Re: [DonQuixote] Sticks and stones.... [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
I see Frankie Boyle is getting grief from the taste police again.
So when did we all get so desensitised by comedic humour?

I thought he was spot on about Rebecca 'The Dolphin' Adlington
and anything that reduces Jordan - or is it Syria this week? - to
a quivering wreck is fine by me.

Jordon does need reducing.

I like Frankie Boyle - uncomfortable sometimes but hey? bet army lads laughed at the Taliban assisted high jump joke

paignton-nick
Chelsea Transfer Target

Sep 1, 2012, 10:32 AM

Team(s): Stevenage FC & Buckland Athletic

Post #3 of 10 (1012 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Matty] Sticks and stones.... [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Surely if people find Frankie offensive, then the simple answer is to switch off or change channels. Personally, I find him to be very funny and one of the top comedians around at present.

Stevenage FC - Hertfordshire's finest!
Buckland Athletic- Pride of South Devon!

stourboy
First Team Star

Sep 4, 2012, 6:04 PM

Team(s): Stourbridge FC, Sheffield Wednesday

Post #4 of 10 (960 views)
Shortcut
Re: [paignton-nick] Sticks and stones.... [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

He's not funny. There's a line between what are acceptable topic matters and what aren't and he regularly crosses it whilst portraying it as "alternative" and "new" and "out of the box".

Good to see C4 have given him the boot.

sandhurstbee
Man City Transfer Target!

Sep 4, 2012, 6:53 PM

Team(s): Brentford, Sandhurst Town and Most local Non League sides.

Post #5 of 10 (954 views)
Shortcut
Re: [stourboy] Sticks and stones.... [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
He's not funny. There's a line between what are acceptable topic matters and what aren't and he regularly crosses it whilst portraying it as "alternative" and "new" and "out of the box".

I take it you changed Channels then Stourboy Tongue

Last New Ground 2016/17 (15) 29/4/2017 HIGHMOOR/IBIS RESERVES 1 Mortimer 1 - Thames Valley premier league, Premier Division

VP

Sep 4, 2012, 8:06 PM

Post #6 of 10 (945 views)
Shortcut
Re: [stourboy] Sticks and stones.... [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

Well said.
I don't give a toss who Frankie Boyle offends but he's supposed to be a comedian. Pointing out that people have ginger hair or spots or something isn't comedy. It's like being in the primary school playground.
I'm sure I could sue him under the Trade Descriptions Act.
Having said that, on that dreadful programme Mock The Week he was actually more entertaining than the other unfunny prats that used to appear on it. Hugh Dennis, Dara Briain and Russell Howard? Do me a favour.

(This post was edited by VP on Sep 4, 2012, 8:09 PM)

UKPunk

Sep 4, 2012, 8:53 PM

Post #7 of 10 (931 views)
Shortcut
Re: [VP] Sticks and stones.... [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

The thing about comedy is it's very personal. Even those who like Frankie Boyle would I'm sure take offence if he were to make a joke about, for example, someone in their family who had recently died and whom they felt close to. Yet those same people may laugh at the jokes he makes about subjects such as child abuse.

Someone who has suffered at the hands of an abuser wouldn't be laughing much but would maybe laugh at the joke he'd made about the family member who'd died and so it goes on etc.

1-0-1-0-4-25-40-65-181-289=606

Last game: Mon 20/8/18
4. Basford United 1 Hednesford Town 2

paignton-nick
Chelsea Transfer Target

Sep 6, 2012, 11:13 AM

Team(s): Stevenage FC & Buckland Athletic

Post #8 of 10 (874 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To

Thats your opinion though. I happen to think he is. Some people laugh their socks off at Michael McIntyre, whereas I can't see anything remotely funny about the guy. If everybody liked the same thing, life would be very boring.

Stevenage FC - Hertfordshire's finest!
Buckland Athletic- Pride of South Devon!

(This post was edited by paignton-nick on Sep 6, 2012, 11:13 AM)

Oxford Stone
Chelsea Transfer Target

Sep 6, 2012, 11:45 AM

Team(s): Maidstone United

Post #9 of 10 (867 views)
Shortcut
Re: [paignton-nick] Sticks and stones.... [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

My (23-yr-old, graduate, good career) godson posted on FBook yesterday: "In Hyde Park, Laughing at the flowers for Diana". Now I'm not a Daily Express-reading royalty lover, and I know he was only 7 when she died, but I have given him an earful (bearing in mind there have been a couple of deaths in the family in the last 2 years) - the crassest thing I'd read in a long time. Some people make right tits of themselves via FBook, Twitter and of course message boards. Thank God they weren't around when I was a kid!

I agree that Boyle is trying too hard to shock and that it is primary school level now. Prefer Jimmy Carr, though I understand why some people don't like him. He does the looking down on people thing in a much funnier way than Ricky Gervais, whom I can't stand.

grumpydwarf
First Team Star

Sep 6, 2012, 12:07 PM

Team(s): non-league football

Post #10 of 10 (861 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Oxford Stone] Sticks and stones.... [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

humour/comedy is certainly a personal thing; love watching the re-runs of Only Fools and Horses on BBC1 at 2.10 pm; still love watching Dad`s Army and Last of the Summer Wine; there again it could be my age!!!!

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3