Home: Non Football Related: General Chat:
Which Mobile Phone? Help Needed Please

UKPunk
Man City Transfer Target!

Aug 31, 2012, 11:21 PM

Post #1 of 23 (1488 views)
Shortcut
Which Mobile Phone? Help Needed Please Can't Post or Reply Privately

My knowledge of technology, and particularly mobile phones, is very limited. In many ways I'm something of a Luddite. I do realise however that some of this science does serve a useful purpose even for the likes of me.

I want to get a new mobile with internet access but I don't want to pay the earth for it. My online activity will be mainly twittering, checking my mail and checking for postponements during the frost lottery months. Oh all right, yes I'll be on here quite a lot as well.

Also I want to stay on the Virgin network as Mrs UKPunk and my girls are on it. I've already asked the girls advice about which mobile to get and they just got excited about the prospect of a new phone (despite the fact it's not theirs!) and blinded me with science. Unsure

So my question is really what mobile would you recommend I go for and how much is it likely to cost per month? How much do you pay per month for your mobile?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

1-0-1-0-4-25-40-65-181-289=606

Last game: Mon 20/8/18
4. Basford United 1 Hednesford Town 2

JohnnyYesNo
Junior Team Sub

Aug 31, 2012, 11:38 PM

Team(s): Several northern Non-League clubs.

Post #2 of 23 (1484 views)
Shortcut
Re: [UKPunk] Which Mobile Phone? Help Needed Please [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I'm with 3 and I pay 10 a month for 300 minutes talk time, unlimited texts (or not really unlimited but rather 100 texts per day), and 1GB internet, which is a hell of a lot if you just surf the net and even download the odd video/movie trailer etc. I had to buy my own phone (I got an HTC Sense, think it cost 120 quid), but I'm happy with what I get a month for what I pay.

VP

Sep 1, 2012, 12:16 AM

Post #3 of 23 (1479 views)
Shortcut
Re: [UKPunk] Which Mobile Phone? Help Needed Please [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

My deal with Virgin.
Two year contract, free Blackberry Curve, 250 free texts, 50 free minutes of calls (3000 minutes to other Virgin phones) and 1GB of internet usage, 10.21 a month.
I never get near my monthly limits but I'm not a teenager so don't spend my life phoning or texting people.

I'm not sure if this is only available to existing customers or even if it's still available at all.

(This post was edited by VP on Sep 1, 2012, 12:26 AM)

andy1886
Reserve Team Sub

Sep 1, 2012, 5:02 AM

Team(s): motherwell and yorkshire non league

Post #4 of 23 (1466 views)
Shortcut
Re: [VP] Which Mobile Phone? Help Needed Please [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
My deal with Virgin.
Two year contract, free Blackberry Curve, 250 free texts, 50 free minutes of calls (3000 minutes to other Virgin phones) and 1GB of internet usage, 10.21 a month.
I never get near my monthly limits but I'm not a teenager so don't spend my life phoning or texting people.

I'm not sure if this is only available to existing customers or even if it's still available at all.

Same deal my wife got when renewing her contract , are you on a contract with Virgin mobile Punky ? If so give them a ring and tell them what you need it for and they will sort you out with this deal .

DonQuixote
Chelsea Transfer Target

Sep 1, 2012, 5:09 AM

Team(s): Romford, Everton, @BrentwoodSunLge

Post #5 of 23 (1465 views)
Shortcut
Re: [andy1886] Which Mobile Phone? Help Needed Please [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Sounds like some good deals going around. Got my first mobile in 1995, about
this time of year too, and was one2one.
Free calls to virtually everywhere but cannot remember how much a month I paid.
Nowadays, being Billy no muckers, I spend about 5 every two months on pay as
you go... Frown

FA Vase semi programme wanted: 2001 Taunton v Clitheroe.

Matty
Reserve Team Star

Sep 1, 2012, 5:35 AM

Team(s): All things Derbyshire

Post #6 of 23 (1464 views)
Shortcut
Re: [DonQuixote] Which Mobile Phone? Help Needed Please [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

ShockedUnsureAs a fellow luddite don'tSly etc lol rofl

I'm afraid I'll probably be in jail soon, because the next ingnorant teenager or chav that walks past me as if the pavement was their own is going to get it

Thankfully I live in a village where teenagers move out the way and pass the time of day (or they get a smacked gob)

still waving at trains

If people really want to get in touch they will

LondonBuck
Chelsea Transfer Target

Sep 1, 2012, 6:27 AM

Team(s): AFC Telford United, Witham Town, Folkestone Invicta, Gillingham, Woking

Post #7 of 23 (1461 views)
Shortcut

Frost lottery, that's a good phrase, I wonder who came up with that Cool

I spent ages working out what to get when I bought my first smart phone. A few things I found that turned out to be correct are...

If you want a phone that won't self destruct when you drop it, get a Motorola, they really are built like a tank! Mine is on its third year and still good as new.

Beware the 18 month contracts that offer free phones, if you do the sums you will find you end up paying for the phone twice over in monthly bills. I found a plan listed on T-Mobile that gave me unlimited internet plus 300 call minutes and 300 texts for just 15 a month by paying for the phone up front, I was saving money after a year.

If you have Gmail it works well with an Android phone, generally that's anything other than an iPhone (apple stuff)

I found touch screens a lot easier to use than a blackberry, although the blackberry has a keypad I find it too fiddly to use the little sensor wheel thingy, much easier to just tap a screen.

You can also get phones with a touch screen and a slide out keypad.

Personally, if someone offered me a new Motorola with android ice cream sandwich on this contract I'd bite their hand off Wink

643 GROUNDS - Milton Keynes Robins (61/92)
582 WETHERSPOONS - Lytham
2 WETHERSPOONS HOTELS - Ripon

(This post was edited by LondonBuck on Sep 1, 2012, 6:32 AM)

Tim

Sep 1, 2012, 9:22 AM

Team(s): Stourbridge, Welton Rovers

Post #8 of 23 (1445 views)
Shortcut
Re: [VP] Which Mobile Phone? Help Needed Please [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
My deal with Virgin.

Same package as VP, which is very good value, but..... sites like Full Time and Mitoo are somewhere between very hard work and impossible on a Blackberry. When my two years is up I shall go elsewhere.

Isaac

Sep 1, 2012, 11:09 AM

Team(s): ABMU

Post #9 of 23 (1434 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
My knowledge of technology, and particularly mobile phones, is very limited. In many ways I'm something of a Luddite. I do realise however that some of this science does serve a useful purpose even for the likes of me.

I want to get a new mobile with internet access but I don't want to pay the earth for it. My online activity will be mainly twittering, checking my mail and checking for postponements during the frost lottery months. Oh all right, yes I'll be on here quite a lot as well.

Also I want to stay on the Virgin network as Mrs UKPunk and my girls are on it. I've already asked the girls advice about which mobile to get and they just got excited about the prospect of a new phone (despite the fact it's not theirs!) and blinded me with science. Unsure

So my question is really what mobile would you recommend I go for and how much is it likely to cost per month? How much do you pay per month for your mobile?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

My knowledge is probably about the same as yoursUnsure!

Anyway I've never got into contract phones and always prefered PAYG, I'm currently with T Mobile and internet is 20 for six months (although I bought the phone with six months free internet) and if I top up 10 a month I get unlimited free texts in the UK the following month, not sure about call charges as I rarely make any prefering too text.

There may well be better deals to be had but it suits me.

DonQuixote
Chelsea Transfer Target

Sep 1, 2012, 11:28 AM

Post #10 of 23 (1428 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Matty] Which Mobile Phone? Help Needed Please [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I am only a Luddite when it comes to phones, as I
pride myself in being a bit of a whizz when it comes
to Macs and t' Thigh Pad.

If you live near Eyam, perhaps it's worth digging up a
few graves and dumping said chavs in the hole.

Not sure how long the plague thingy lasts though.... Tongue

D A
First Team Star

Sep 1, 2012, 11:35 AM

Team(s): Airstrip 1.

Post #11 of 23 (1426 views)
Shortcut
Re: [DonQuixote] Which Mobile Phone? Help Needed Please [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

If you live near Eyam, perhaps it's worth digging up a
few graves and dumping said chavs in the hole.

Yup , Marshall Howe was busy that year and survived !

'I'm not cynical. I'm just experienced'.
29/11/2012. Anyone need numbers for Cheddar F C please p/m.

VP

Sep 1, 2012, 12:14 PM

Post #12 of 23 (1422 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Tim] Which Mobile Phone? Help Needed Please [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Same package as VP, which is very good value, but..... sites like Full Time and Mitoo are somewhere between very hard work and impossible on a Blackberry. When my two years is up I shall go elsewhere.

I don't go on those sites on my Blackberry - I do all that sort of stuff at home, but, if you're a technology fiend then a Blackberry probably isn't the best. The one I've got only works on the 2G signal which is fine for what I use it for but, as an example, watching a video on Youtube is impossible as it just won't download in any reasonable amount of time. If you want to do that sort of thing you need a 3G phone.
They do Blackberrys with 3G but you have to buy your own rather than accept the one Virgin give away. If you're buying your own then you may as well buy an iPhone or HTC or similar.

DonQuixote
Chelsea Transfer Target

Sep 1, 2012, 1:11 PM

Post #13 of 23 (1412 views)
Shortcut
Re: [D A] Which Mobile Phone? Help Needed Please [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Just read up on the part he played as body buryer in chief...
must admit was unaware of that little ditty.

Anyone on here live near Eyam? Must be a lot of references
to the plague around the town.

With London's pyrotechnics allegedly wiping the disease out
down these parts, I've often wondered how the rest of the
country fared.

There must have been quite a few ghost towns, a la Eyam,
in and around rural England.

UKPunk

Sep 2, 2012, 12:13 AM

Post #14 of 23 (1380 views)
Shortcut
Re: [andy1886] Which Mobile Phone? Help Needed Please [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

In Reply To
My deal with Virgin.

Same deal my wife got when renewing her contract , are you on a contract with Virgin mobile Punky ? If so give them a ring and tell them what you need it for and they will sort you out with this deal .

Firstly, thanks to all for the advice, it's given me plenty to think about.

I'm not on a contract Andy. I'm on PAYG and just top up with 20 about every three months or so.

andy1886
Reserve Team Sub

Sep 2, 2012, 5:52 AM

Team(s): motherwell and yorkshire non league

Post #15 of 23 (1374 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To

In Reply To

In Reply To
My deal with Virgin.

Firstly, thanks to all for the advice, it's given me plenty to think about.

I'm not on a contract Andy. I'm on PAYG and just top up with 20 about every three months or so.

I guess you will be looking to buy your handset then and stay on the same sort of tariff with internet usage in it . I dont have a clue about cost of the handsets and even less knowledge about data usage , 1gb and all that !!

LondonBuck
Chelsea Transfer Target

Sep 2, 2012, 7:46 AM

Team(s): AFC Telford United, Witham Town, Folkestone Invicta, Gillingham, Woking

Post #16 of 23 (1369 views)
Shortcut

I don't think Gingerbread was as much of an improvement as Ice Cream Sandwich, but already they are raving about Jelly Bean. Laugh

UKPunk

Sep 2, 2012, 2:49 PM

Post #17 of 23 (1348 views)
Shortcut
Re: [LondonBuck] Which Mobile Phone? Help Needed Please [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
I don't think Gingerbread was as much of an improvement as Ice Cream Sandwich, but already they are raving about Jelly Bean. Laugh

I know Cody was taken off yesterday but from what you've written it appears you've had some kind of breakdown? Unsure

LondonBuck
Chelsea Transfer Target

Sep 2, 2012, 9:49 PM

Post #18 of 23 (1329 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To

In Reply To

I know Cody was taken off yesterday but from what you've written it appears you've had some kind of breakdown? Unsure

No, I'm OK, I'll get over it Laugh
They are names for Android phone operating systems, if you get a new smart phone chances are it will be Gingerbread Wink

(This post was edited by LondonBuck on Sep 2, 2012, 9:49 PM)

UKPunk

Sep 2, 2012, 10:36 PM

Post #19 of 23 (1322 views)
Shortcut
Re: [LondonBuck] Which Mobile Phone? Help Needed Please [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

In Reply To

In Reply To

No, I'm OK, I'll get over it Laugh
They are names for Android phone operating systems, if you get a new smart phone chances are it will be Gingerbread Wink

Thanks for explaining that. I've never heard of them. Unsure

garethwrexy

Sep 3, 2012, 11:37 AM

Team(s): wrexham and dulwich

Post #20 of 23 (1297 views)
Shortcut

get a jcb tough phone.

wrexham fc fa trophy winners 2013 !

stourboy
First Team Star

Sep 4, 2012, 6:06 PM

Team(s): Stourbridge FC, Sheffield Wednesday

Post #21 of 23 (1249 views)
Shortcut
Re: [garethwrexy] Which Mobile Phone? Help Needed Please [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

iPhone 4, got nice and cheap when the 4S came out. 30 a month unlimited calls, data and texts with 3. You won't get a better deal than with 3 than the iPhone.

Don't bother with a Blackberry they went out of fashion months ago. Once you have an iPhone you'll never want to change again. Brilliant for hopping.

UKPunk

Sep 4, 2012, 8:35 PM

Post #22 of 23 (1242 views)
Shortcut
Re: [stourboy] Which Mobile Phone? Help Needed Please [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
iPhone 4, got nice and cheap when the 4S came out. 30 a month unlimited calls, data and texts with 3. You won't get a better deal than with 3 than the iPhone.

Don't bother with a Blackberry they went out of fashion months ago. Once you have an iPhone you'll never want to change again. Brilliant for hopping.

Thanks for the info Stourboy but whether or not it's fashionable or not is irrelevant to me. I've never done fashion and never will. In fact, as my girls would agree, if something's not in fashion there's more chance that I'll be attracted to it just to p*ss off the fashion victims!! Cool

LondonBuck
Chelsea Transfer Target

Sep 4, 2012, 10:20 PM

Post #23 of 23 (1236 views)
Shortcut

Regardless of fashion I still think its a hell of a lot easier to type using an on screen keyboard than it is using those fiddly little keys on a blackberry.
I got given a blackberry for my work and I can't stand the thing Unimpressed

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3