Non League Matters - The Continuation of Tonys english Football Site 

Main Index MAIN
INDEX
Search Posts SEARCH
IN

Home: Non Football Related: General Chat:
Old Olympic sports that should be re-instated....

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

DonQuixote
Chelsea Transfer Target

Aug 6, 2012, 12:23 PM

Team(s): Romford, Everton, @BrentwoodSunLge

Post #1 of 33 (1287 views)
Shortcut
Old Olympic sports that should be re-instated.... Can't Post or Reply Privately

The second one appeals to me...could have held it in Traflagar Square....

Duelling Pistol Shooting
This event required competitors to shoot at mannequins dressed in frock coats.
There was a Bullseye were on the dummy's throat.

Live Pigeon Shooting
The object of this event was to shoot and kill as many birds as possible.
The birds were released in front of a participant and the winner was the competitor who shot down the most birds from the sky.
The participant was eliminated once they missed two birds. Nearly 300 birds were killed.
The event turned out to be quite messy in the end with dead or injured birds on the ground and blood and feathers all over the place.

Solo Synchronized Swimming
Solo Synchronized Swimming was a sport at the Olympic Games between 1984 and 1992.
It is surprising that it took the organizers three Olympics to realize that a person swimming alone cannot be synchronized with anyone else.

FA Vase semi programme wanted: 2001 Taunton v Clitheroe.

(This post was edited by DonQuixote on Aug 6, 2012, 12:26 PM)

acmold
Man City Transfer Target!

Aug 6, 2012, 2:43 PM

Post #2 of 33 (1266 views)
Shortcut
Re: [DonQuixote] Old Olympic sports that should be re-instated.... [In reply to] Can't Post or

As long as they don't bring back the Greek bit about doing every event naked, though might be interesting in some of the womens events. Not from a voyeuristic point of view but from what bits the ladies have that they should not have.

PaulC

Aug 6, 2012, 6:09 PM

Team(s): AFC Darwen, Troon, Ayr Utd, Burnley

Post #3 of 33 (1249 views)
Shortcut
Re: [DonQuixote] Old Olympic sports that should be re-instated.... [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Duelling Pistol Shooting
This event required competitors to shoot at mannequins dressed in frock coats.
There was a Bullseye were on the dummy's throat.

For a duel it sounds a bit one-sided.

DonQuixote
Chelsea Transfer Target

Aug 6, 2012, 10:04 PM

Post #4 of 33 (1217 views)
Shortcut
Re: [PaulC] Old Olympic sports that should be re-instated.... [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Have you never watched the first episode of Dr Who starring the Ecclestone
or seen Westworld???

D A
First Team Star

Aug 6, 2012, 10:25 PM

Team(s): Airstrip 1.

Post #5 of 33 (1213 views)
Shortcut
Re: [DonQuixote] Old Olympic sports that should be re-instated.... [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Have you never watched the first episode of Dr Who starring the Ecclestone
or seen Westworld???

Do you ever leave the hacienda ?

'I'm not cynical. I'm just experienced'.
29/11/2012. Anyone need numbers for Cheddar F C please p/m.

ciderjon
First Team Star

Aug 6, 2012, 10:38 PM

Team(s):

Post #6 of 33 (1205 views)
Shortcut
Re: [D A] Old Olympic sports that should be re-instated.... [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Plunging

Last new Belgian beer: Lupulus (formerly Trois Fourquets) Triple 8.5% bc (808)

UKPunk

Aug 6, 2012, 10:40 PM

Post #7 of 33 (1204 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
Live Pigeon Shooting

How about changing it to live chav shooting? They could hold it in Clacton and solve a significant percentage of the town's social ills at the same time. Unsure

1-0-1-0-4-25-40-65-181-289=606

Last game: Mon 20/8/18
4. Basford United 1 Hednesford Town 2

(This post was edited by UKPunk on Aug 6, 2012, 10:42 PM)

DonQuixote
Chelsea Transfer Target

Aug 6, 2012, 11:19 PM

Post #8 of 33 (1191 views)
Shortcut
Re: [D A] Old Olympic sports that should be re-instated.... [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

No need...I'm loaded Sly

Matty
Reserve Team Star

Aug 7, 2012, 11:52 AM

Team(s): All things Derbyshire

Post #9 of 33 (1154 views)
Shortcut

A bit of googling and I see Glima was an exhibition event in Stockholm 1912 - Icelandic folk wrestling! as a demonstration event - I don't know if London has this but I think it's a good idea (free that is)- street hockey or something while the crowds wait for marathon and triathlon

was n't competitive debating an event? with Gore Vidal passing away this week - a put down comp would be good with him, Churchill, Noel Coward and Mae West (others?)

Could / should be in
Tug of war - seems to be in the Athenian spirit
Squash - if tennis is in? though liked the tennis
rugby 7's, this games not wait for 4 years - should of had this this time round - now a global game in terms of nations competing and gives the Pacific Islands a good chance a competing well in a team event ( however I think the top 10 or so 15 a side teams would release players) - and a good spectacle - though are n't the Soloman Islands good at beach soccer - could see that getting in with the success of beach volleyball (same arena?)

and I'd like like to see the closing ceremony preceded by an 'It's a knockout' competed by the officials of the teams, with an invitional team from the IOC (and possibly Fifa)

(This post was edited by Matty on Aug 7, 2012, 12:56 PM)

Richard Rundle

Aug 7, 2012, 1:35 PM

Post #10 of 33 (1137 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
Solo Synchronized Swimming was a sport at the Olympic Games between 1984 and 1992.
It is surprising that it took the organizers three Olympics to realize that a person swimming alone cannot be synchronized with anyone else.

Ummm, the whole point was to be synchronised with the music

Matty
Reserve Team Star

Aug 7, 2012, 1:51 PM

Post #11 of 33 (1130 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Richard Rundle] Old Olympic sports that should be re-instated.... [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

In Reply To

Ummm, the whole point was to be synchronised with the music

well in that case I choose 'dancing with myself' by Billy Idol

PonteCarlo
First Team Star

Aug 7, 2012, 2:18 PM

Team(s): Grimsby Town, Pontefract Collieries

Post #12 of 33 (1120 views)
Shortcut
Re: [UKPunk] Old Olympic sports that should be re-instated.... [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

How about changing it to live chav shooting? They could hold it in Clacton and solve a significant percentage of the town's social ills at the same time. Unsure

I'm another pro chav shooting enthusiast! Imagine the cheers from the crowd?!

Proud spectator of real football.

Hop, hop, hopping on heaven's door

Part-Timer
Chelsea Transfer Target

Aug 9, 2012, 2:50 PM

Team(s): Brentford, Bradford City, Peterborough United, Yaxley

Post #13 of 33 (1065 views)
Shortcut
Re: [PonteCarlo] Old Olympic sports that should be re-instated.... [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

From 1928 to 1948 medals were awarded for Town Planning. Britain won the gold in 1932. Better still in 1936 medals were awarded for Medals, ironically no gold was awarded. Ireland's first ever medals came in Painting.

Artistic events were discontinued, not because they were rubbish (that would set a dangerous precedent), but because the competitors were considered to be professionals. As professionals are now acceptable at the Olympics why are these events not being re-instated?

Matty
Reserve Team Star

Aug 9, 2012, 3:03 PM

Post #14 of 33 (1062 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Part-Timer] Old Olympic sports that should be re-instated.... [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

oh they should have kept the town planning - plenty of worthy efforts from these Isles ( I'm avoiding the GB / UK etc argument there) especially in the 60's to 80's

richiejenn
First Team Star

Aug 9, 2012, 5:30 PM

Team(s):

Post #15 of 33 (1051 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Matty] Old Olympic sports that should be re-instated.... [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

What about the much underrated Stare Out Championships.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D4KvX5jR_1w&playnext=1&list=PL57C765766047F2C2&feature=results_video

mr creosote
Chelsea Transfer Target

Aug 9, 2012, 8:31 PM

Team(s): Grays Athletic, Haverhill Rovers

Post #16 of 33 (1034 views)
Shortcut
Re: [richiejenn] Old Olympic sports that should be re-instated.... [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Shin-kicking is alive and well at London 2012. Except that it is now called taekwondo.

Mr. T
Chelsea Transfer Target

Aug 9, 2012, 11:23 PM

Post #17 of 33 (1015 views)
Shortcut
Re: [PonteCarlo] Old Olympic sports that should be re-instated.... [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

I'm another pro chav shooting enthusiast! Imagine the cheers from the crowd?!

If real pigeon shooting had been allowed, Trafalgar Square would have made a terrific venue and just think of the money saved on pest control.

No complex rules, just five minutes to bag as many as possible.

(This post was edited by Mr. T on Aug 9, 2012, 11:24 PM)

buncranaboy
Qatar World Cup bid member!

Aug 10, 2012, 1:45 PM

Team(s): Barnstoneworth United; Bostock Stanley

Post #18 of 33 (970 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Mr. T] Old Olympic sports that should be re-instated.... [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

From the Much Wenlock games of 1850, considered a fore-runner of the modern Olympics, some ideas worth re-considering :

The first games were a mixture of athletics and traditional country sports such as quoits, football and cricket. Also were included running, hurdles, football and cycling on penny farthings. Some of the early games included "fun events" as the blindfolded wheelbarrow race and one year "The old woman's race for a pound of tea".

DonQuixote
Chelsea Transfer Target

Aug 10, 2012, 5:59 PM

Post #19 of 33 (948 views)
Shortcut
Re: [buncranaboy] Old Olympic sports that should be re-instated.... [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Don't the Finns have an annual wife carrying race?

Can't imagine too many contenders from certain sink estates over here...

Mr. T
Chelsea Transfer Target

Aug 11, 2012, 2:34 PM

Post #20 of 33 (915 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Mr. T] Old Olympic sports that should be re-instated.... [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
If real pigeon shooting had been allowed, Trafalgar Square would have made a terrific venue and just think of the money saved on pest control.

No complex rules, just five minutes to bag as many as possible.

Many a true word spoken in jest. On page 67 of my Radio Times Olympic guide (today's programme) there is a list of discontinued events: tandem cycling, rope climbing, standing high and long jump (records 1.65 metres and 3.47 metres respectively), tug-of-war, 60m underwater swim and live pigeon shooting. Fantastic!

Sports that have lost their place: polo, cricket, croquet, baseball, lacrosse. Golf and rugby union return in 2016.

wishmaster3211
First Team Star

Aug 15, 2012, 1:24 PM

Team(s): Calne Town, Darlington, Rosenborg, Sussex CCC, Huddersfield RL

Post #21 of 33 (840 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To

They do indeed. I have even seen highlights of it once when staying over there.

Tug of War would be good as would some sort of "Its a Knockout" as suggested above. I'd favour Seagull shooting rather than pigeons. Bloody things are a plague now, pigeons less so not least cos the Seagulls eat them!

"Run For the Hills Before They Burn"

Checkout my Facebook page "Proper Football Grounds"

facebook.com/paul.fergusson

UKPunk

Aug 15, 2012, 6:19 PM

Post #22 of 33 (816 views)
Shortcut
Re: [wishmaster3211] Old Olympic sports that should be re-instated.... [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

In Reply To

They do indeed. I have even seen highlights of it once when staying over there.

Tug of War would be good as would some sort of "Its a Knockout" as suggested above. I'd favour Seagull shooting rather than pigeons. Bloody things are a plague now, pigeons less so not least cos the Seagulls eat them!

They don't eat them as fast as I'd like to shoot them.

1-0-1-0-4-25-40-65-181-289=606

Last game: Mon 20/8/18
4. Basford United 1 Hednesford Town 2

Mishi

Aug 15, 2012, 6:51 PM

Team(s): Dulwich Hamlet

Post #23 of 33 (812 views)
Shortcut
Re: [UKPunk] Old Olympic sports that should be re-instated.... [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I still can't get used to seasgulls inland, in London. It's a sound that should only be heard on days out to the seaside.

Grounds visited: 745
Last new ground:Horsham FC; The Camping World Community Stadium, Horsham, West Sussex. (Isthmian League Premier Division)
Last game: Saturday 21st September 2019: Dulwich Hamlet 6, Bognor Regis Town 1. [ FA Cup 2nd qualifying round]
Matches watched this season: 46
2017/18-New English grounds: 7 & foreign: 0

Mr. T
Chelsea Transfer Target

Aug 15, 2012, 9:55 PM

Post #24 of 33 (800 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Mishi] Old Olympic sports that should be re-instated.... [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
I still can't get used to seasgulls inland, in London. It's a sound that should only be heard on days out to the seaside.

The collapse of fish stocks and the fishing industry has resulted in a scarcity of food around coasts and fishing ports so these scavengers have moved inland. It had always been common to see gulls inland when farmers are ploughing (and much of that has moved from late autumn and winter to the late summer) but now they're about all the year round, thanks to the feeding habits of the human population.

Most gull, pigeon and corvid species are now protected by legislation, although until 1992 it was open season an amendment to the 1986 Wildlife Act restricted control measures, hence the increase in numbers in recent years. Here in Northamptonshire there are thousands of gulls of the smaller species along the Nene valley, especially around the flooded gravel pits. The buggers frequently wake me up at 5am...

The sound of the herring gull is the stock maritime sound effect of TV and radio programmes. This is the chip-stealing dive-bomber for which the 12-bore was invented.

DonQuixote
Chelsea Transfer Target

Aug 15, 2012, 11:24 PM

Post #25 of 33 (788 views)
Shortcut

Not so much gulls here but bloody magpies. I live next
to a small river and they have all but decimated the
sparrow population.
See more Robins than sparrows these days.

Another pain is that crows/choughs/jackdaws (they all
look the same to me Tongue) and magpies don't make for the
best of neighbours and have been woken on many
occasion at silly o'clock, to see them having a major
tear up in the middle of the road outside.

Saw a strange aerial 'dogfight' the other day, with two
crows/choughs/jackdaws taking on a heron. Didn't see
the final outcome but methinks that the heron came second.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3