Pointless (TV Show)

Oxford Stone
Chelsea Transfer Target

Jul 23, 2012, 4:07 PM

Team(s): Maidstone United

Post #1 of 18 (1906 views)
Shortcut
Pointless (TV Show) Can't Post or Reply Privately

Does anyone else here watch Pointless? I find it a highly entertaining bit of TV and, as I work, record it for evening viewing.

However, what passes for "obscure" when it comes to football, makes me think of the knowledge on here... we'd give them obscure!

"We gave 100 people 100 seconds to name as many teams to have scored 5 or more goals away from home in an FA Vase tie..."

"We gave 100 people 100 seconds to name as many people sent off in North West Counties Division Two games..."

oxpete
Chelsea Transfer Target

Jul 23, 2012, 4:25 PM

Team(s): Pompey

Post #2 of 18 (1903 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Oxford Stone] Pointless (TV Show) [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

"We gave 100 people 100 seconds to name as many step7 clubs who publish."

UKPunk
Man City Transfer Target!

Jul 23, 2012, 7:34 PM

Post #3 of 18 (1877 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Oxford Stone] Pointless (TV Show) [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Does anyone else here watch Pointless? I find it a highly entertaining bit of TV and, as I work, record it for evening viewing.

If you took out the volume of chit chat between host and contestants you'd probably end up with the ten minute quiz show. For that reason alone I find it boring.

Still, whatever floats your boat.

1-0-1-0-4-25-40-65-181-289=606

Last game: Mon 20/8/18
4. Basford United 1 Hednesford Town 2

stourboy
First Team Star

Jul 23, 2012, 9:43 PM

Team(s): Stourbridge FC, Sheffield Wednesday

Post #4 of 18 (1858 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To

However, what passes for "obscure" when it comes to football, makes me think of the knowledge on here... we'd give them obscure!

"We gave 100 people 100 seconds to name as many teams to have scored 5 or more goals away from home in an FA Vase tie..."

"We gave 100 people 100 seconds to name as many people sent off in North West Counties Division Two games..."

I'm pretty much addicted to it! Great format. What I like is that the questions themselves aren't particularly hard most of the time; the fun is getting an obscure one!

One of my only pointless answers so far that the contestants didn't get in the final round was World Cup final scorers. Might be to do with the fact that the contestants were two young girls with no knowledge of football; think their guesses were Gary Lineker, David Beckham and David Platt, or similar haha!

jon b
First Team Star

Jul 23, 2012, 11:11 PM

Team(s): SUFC, SWFC etc

Post #5 of 18 (1841 views)
Shortcut
Re: [stourboy] Pointless (TV Show) [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I'm pretty much addicted to it! Great format. What I like is that the questions themselves aren't particularly hard most of the time; the fun is getting an obscure one!

One of my only pointless answers so far that the contestants didn't get in the final round was World Cup final scorers. Might be to do with the fact that the contestants were two young girls with no knowledge of football; think their guesses were Gary Lineker, David Beckham and David Platt, or similar haha!

I saw the same episode.

I sat there smugly thinking of what answers I'd have given, but any sense of superiority was countered by the knowledge that if I ever ended up on it, I'd no doubt end up with a category which I knew nothing about and made me look just as clueless as them. Crazy

Oxford Stone
Chelsea Transfer Target

Jul 24, 2012, 9:25 AM

Post #6 of 18 (1816 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jon b] Pointless (TV Show) [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

The chit-chat, compared to, I dunno, Vernon Kay or Davina McCall or Chris Tarrant, is reasonably witty. I know someone who went to school with Richard Osman - apparently he was behind all sorts of school plays, revues and so on.

Watched one from early July last night and a question was European Cup runners-up. Got a Pointless with Bruges.

UKPunk

Jul 24, 2012, 10:52 AM

Post #7 of 18 (1805 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
The chit-chat, compared to, I dunno, Vernon Kay or Davina McCall or Chris Tarrant, is reasonably witty. I know someone who went to school with Richard Osman - apparently he was behind all sorts of school plays, revues and so on.

Watched one from early July last night and a question was European Cup runners-up. Got a Pointless with Bruges.

Am I the only one who is irritated by the way she presents her show? I'm not quite sure what it is that gets me but there's something cringeworthy in the way she addresses the camera.

1-0-1-0-4-25-40-65-181-289=606

Last game: Mon 20/8/18
4. Basford United 1 Hednesford Town 2

DonQuixote
Chelsea Transfer Target

Jul 24, 2012, 11:26 AM

Team(s): Romford, Everton, @BrentwoodSunLge

Post #8 of 18 (1800 views)
Shortcut
Re: [UKPunk] Pointless (TV Show) [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

All very true but I still wouldn't pass
on letting her sit on my face so that
I could guess her weight.

FA Vase semi programme wanted: 2001 Taunton v Clitheroe.

Oxford Stone
Chelsea Transfer Target

Jul 24, 2012, 3:35 PM

Post #9 of 18 (1775 views)
Shortcut
Re: [DonQuixote] Pointless (TV Show) [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Have to agree with both of the above posts. I wish she wouldn't shout (unless given a reason to do so by DonQuixote of course) - but she would be allowed to eat peanuts in bed, especially now we know she's 1/2 French.

D A
First Team Star

Jul 24, 2012, 4:08 PM

Team(s): Airstrip 1.

Post #10 of 18 (1770 views)
Shortcut
Re: [DonQuixote] Pointless (TV Show) [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
All very true but I still wouldn't pass
on letting her sit on my face so that
I could guess her weight.

She is 8 stone 8lbs , so the 2 of you entwined 32 stone 12lbs ?
Including the chandelier and a bottle of rioja 33 stone 4 lbs.
What do I win ?

'I'm not cynical. I'm just experienced'.
29/11/2012. Anyone need numbers for Cheddar F C please p/m.

DonQuixote
Chelsea Transfer Target

Jul 24, 2012, 8:47 PM

Team(s): Romford, Everton, @BrentwoodSunLge

Post #11 of 18 (1744 views)
Shortcut
Re: [D A] Pointless (TV Show) [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

That's a tad rich coming from the forum's 'El Gordo' still,
the proof of the pudding......

FA Vase semi programme wanted: 2001 Taunton v Clitheroe.

splodge
Chelsea Transfer Target

Jul 25, 2012, 12:21 AM

Post #12 of 18 (1718 views)
Shortcut
Re: [UKPunk] Pointless (TV Show) [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Am I the only one who is irritated by the way she presents her show? I'm not quite sure what it is that gets me but there's something cringeworthy in the way she addresses the camera.

She's from Gosprt - say no more!

I only found that out after I already decided that I would not watch any programme she was in so agree with you Dave.

www.twitter.com/splodgey
www.facebook.com/paulsplodgeproctor

acmold

Jul 30, 2012, 5:11 PM

Post #13 of 18 (1590 views)
Shortcut
Re: [splodge] Pointless (TV Show) [In reply to] Can't Post or

"We gave 100 Groundhoppers 100 seconds to name as many brands of deodorant."

Garrincha's dog
First Team Star

Jul 30, 2012, 5:25 PM

Post #14 of 18 (1585 views)
Shortcut
Re: [acmold] Pointless (TV Show) [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I kind of like the show but feel that in engineering who they want to win, make it a bit too obvious of what a fix it is.

One question to win the dough was to name US vice presidents. The contestants came up with a couple of reasonable choices and then threw in Spiro T Agnew. That's it they have obviously won the money. But no allegedly 1 schmuck out there came up with Spiro. Oh really? I want a name, surely only good old Spiro knew that he had the gig, yet he called it a day in 1996.

A few days later they had a couple of lame-brain students on there, the prize was up to about 12K, with a really tricky poser such as European capital cities. Between them they just about rustled up Glasgow and Los Angeles. Then threw in the clincher - Rome. Being such an obscure answer these half-wits won the money and left me shouting at the telly (again).

jon b
First Team Star

Jul 31, 2012, 7:58 AM

Team(s): SUFC, SWFC etc

Post #15 of 18 (1544 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Garrincha's dog] Pointless (TV Show) [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
I kind of like the show but feel that in engineering who they want to win, make it a bit too obvious of what a fix it is.

One question to win the dough was to name US vice presidents. The contestants came up with a couple of reasonable choices and then threw in Spiro T Agnew. That's it they have obviously won the money. But no allegedly 1 schmuck out there came up with Spiro. Oh really? I want a name, surely only good old Spiro knew that he had the gig, yet he called it a day in 1996.

A few days later they had a couple of lame-brain students on there, the prize was up to about 12K, with a really tricky poser such as European capital cities. Between them they just about rustled up Glasgow and Los Angeles. Then threw in the clincher - Rome. Being such an obscure answer these half-wits won the money and left me shouting at the telly (again).

Sadly, I'd have to lay claim to the schmuck title. Cool

I remember Agnew far better than any of the recent holders of the office. But only because he was actually proved to be a crook whereas we just suspect it of the others.

Back in the days leading up to Watergate, Spiro T was the VP who was ready to lead the free world if Richard Nixon was run over by a bus or caught engaged in a criminal conspiracy to win re-election.

The problem was that Spiro was obviously not second or third rate but considerably worse. Nixon, however, saw one benefit as "no assassin in his right mind would kill me" when it would make Agnew President.

The VP eventually had to resign when it was discovered he'd taken bribes as Governor of Maryland. Like Al Capone it was the IRS that got him, on the basis of non payment of taxes on this "undeclared" income. Note to Charles Green - Don't mess with the taxman.

Spiro was replaced by Gerald Ford who was honest, popular and generally a good bloke. All these qualities being bad news for one Richard Milhous Nixon.

As for European capital cities, they're over there somewhere aren't they?...cut off from civilisation by the wet stuff. Not worth thinking about unless they've got a proper football team Tongue

paignton-nick
Chelsea Transfer Target

Jul 31, 2012, 9:54 AM

Team(s): Stevenage FC & Buckland Athletic

Post #16 of 18 (1535 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Garrincha's dog] Pointless (TV Show) [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

Anyone who regularly does pub quizzes will know of Spiro Agnew, comes up frequently.

Stevenage FC - Hertfordshire's finest!
Buckland Athletic- Pride of South Devon!

Oxford Stone
Chelsea Transfer Target

Jul 31, 2012, 11:32 AM

Post #17 of 18 (1520 views)
Shortcut
Re: [paignton-nick] Pointless (TV Show) [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

You have to wonder where the numbers come from and why there are so few dead heats...

Barbie
First Team Regular

Aug 29, 2012, 1:10 PM

Team(s): Rye United RIP, Barry Town Utd

Post #18 of 18 (1272 views)
Shortcut
Re: [paignton-nick] Pointless (TV Show) [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Yes. Spiro Agnew is always the one I think of first.

Probably because his name is an anagram of 'Grow a Penis'

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3