Getting hit in the.....

burrow
Youth Team Sub

Jul 15, 2012, 4:20 PM

Team(s): Chester FC

Post #1 of 20 (2752 views)
Shortcut
Getting hit in the..... Can't Post or Reply Privately

I will never understand why silly people laugh when a sportsman gets a hit in his groin area with a ball of any sort and then suffers real agony for a few minutes.
Getting hit in this area can cause a painful hernia so why do people think it's funny?

All these different languages the world over yet there is only one when you laugh or cry. burrow

DonQuixote
Chelsea Transfer Target

Jul 15, 2012, 5:34 PM

Team(s): Romford, Everton, @BrentwoodSunLge

Post #2 of 20 (2738 views)
Shortcut
Re: [burrow] Getting hit in the..... [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Coz it's feckin' hilarious when it happens to somebody else
and you can feel their pain....Sly

FA Vase semi programme wanted: 2001 Taunton v Clitheroe.

jon b
First Team Star

Jul 15, 2012, 9:00 PM

Team(s): SUFC, SWFC etc

Post #3 of 20 (2715 views)
Shortcut
Re: [DonQuixote] Getting hit in the..... [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

It doesn't have to be just pain in that particular area for it to be funny.

I was wicketkeeping once when the batsman sliced the ball hard down into the ground behind him and straight up into my eye.

As I entered a world of pain and collapsed in a heap, I could clearly the hear the distinctive laugh of a "friend" on the pavilion steps. Crazy

For a good while after that I had a spectacularly multi coloured area round the eye but at least I'd provided my mate with some amusement.

Good job it didn't hit me in the crown jewels, he'd have died laughing. Tongue

Mishi
Man City Transfer Target!

Jul 15, 2012, 9:00 PM

Team(s): Dulwich Hamlet

Post #4 of 20 (2715 views)
Shortcut
Re: [DonQuixote] Getting hit in the..... [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Exactly! Though I do recall once, on a wet pitch, when Paul Whitmarsh slid on the ground toward the post, legs wide open...

Behind the goal everyone winced, going ouch! as we & he knew he couldn't stop, excpet for one female fan who found it hilarious! We felt his pain that time...

Grounds visited: 745
Last new ground:Horsham FC; The Camping World Community Stadium, Horsham, West Sussex. (Isthmian League Premier Division)
Last game: Saturday 21st September 2019: Dulwich Hamlet 6, Bognor Regis Town 1. [ FA Cup 2nd qualifying round]
Matches watched this season: 46
2017/18-New English grounds: 7 & foreign: 0

Andrelux
First Team Regular

Jul 16, 2012, 12:56 AM

Team(s): Brentford (for my sins - obviously done something really bad in a past life

Post #5 of 20 (2684 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Mishi] Getting hit in the..... [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Cricket match, aged about 14. Last ball of an over. Played the ball back to the bowler, who for reasons best known to himself, lobbed it straight back to the wicket-keeper - badly, but very high. I'm busy minding my own business, so haven't really noticed, but become strangely aware that I have now become the centre of attention. Next thing I know, a cricket ball lands on the end of my nose, and nose explodes into torrents of blood. Laughter all around. I wouldn't have minded so much, but most of the laughter came from my own team. Even the umpire was pissing himself.

Isaac

Jul 16, 2012, 10:48 AM

Team(s): ABMU

Post #6 of 20 (2660 views)
Shortcut
Re: [burrow] Getting hit in the..... [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
I will never understand why silly people laugh when a sportsman gets a hit in his groin area with a ball of any sort and then suffers real agony for a few minutes.
Getting hit in this area can cause a painful hernia so why do people think it's funny?

It's beyond me I'm afraid

buncranaboy
Qatar World Cup bid member!

Jul 16, 2012, 1:31 PM

Team(s): Barnstoneworth United; Bostock Stanley

Post #7 of 20 (2639 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Isaac] Getting hit in the..... [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

In Reply To

And there's the winner of "least surprising post of the day" Cool

Whiskey Coates
First Team Sub

Jul 16, 2012, 5:08 PM

Team(s): Bridlington Town, Sheffield Wednesday, Scarborough FC.

Post #8 of 20 (2612 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
Coz it's feckin' hilarious when it happens to somebody else

And it's even funnier when it's a ref or a linesman Sly

garethwrexy

Jul 16, 2012, 7:12 PM

Team(s): wrexham and dulwich

Post #9 of 20 (2602 views)
Shortcut

bet that was jane austin laughing !

wrexham fc fa trophy winners 2013 !

VP

Jul 16, 2012, 8:02 PM

Post #10 of 20 (2594 views)
Shortcut
Re: [garethwrexy] Getting hit in the..... [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I take it not everyone's a fan of the monthly 'Fail' compilations released on Youtube then.
They're a mixture of idiots and some quite horrific accidents. I have to say i don't find them all funny but some are.
Here's May's compilation for those of you who are interested - http://youtu.be/DEzr_uoyPbQ
How can you not laugh at someone in a church pretending to be Jesus whose cross falls over? (1 minute 34 seconds in).
I expect some people were hurt in the making of this programme!

(This post was edited by VP on Jul 16, 2012, 8:53 PM)

Mishi

Jul 16, 2012, 8:31 PM

Team(s): Dulwich Hamlet

Post #11 of 20 (2587 views)
Shortcut
Re: [VP] Getting hit in the..... [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Will look at that later, thanks for te link.

Gareth: Yes it was! She also found it very funny, as did everyone else when a wayward shot from Peter Cappuccio got me in the balls at an end of season testimonial away to Fisher Athletic at the end of the eighties, I think. I failed miserably trying to hide my pain, saying it got me in the gut! ;-)

Grounds visited: 745
Last new ground:Horsham FC; The Camping World Community Stadium, Horsham, West Sussex. (Isthmian League Premier Division)
Last game: Saturday 21st September 2019: Dulwich Hamlet 6, Bognor Regis Town 1. [ FA Cup 2nd qualifying round]
Matches watched this season: 46
2017/18-New English grounds: 7 & foreign: 0

DonQuixote
Chelsea Transfer Target

Jul 16, 2012, 9:16 PM

Team(s): Romford, Everton, @BrentwoodSunLge

Post #12 of 20 (2573 views)
Shortcut

Lucky for you, that you were pissed at the time.... Crazy

FA Vase semi programme wanted: 2001 Taunton v Clitheroe.

Tim

Jul 16, 2012, 9:26 PM

Team(s): Stourbridge, Welton Rovers

Post #13 of 20 (2569 views)
Shortcut
Re: [garethwrexy] Getting hit in the..... [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
bet that was jane austin laughing !

Did she write a novel about it?

Isaac

Jul 17, 2012, 10:47 AM

Team(s): ABMU

Post #14 of 20 (2519 views)
Shortcut
Re: [buncranaboy] Getting hit in the..... [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

In Reply To

In Reply To

No you're too modest.................................you've beaten me to that particular award once againCool

pitch 63
First Team Star

Jul 17, 2012, 1:22 PM

Post #15 of 20 (2499 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Isaac] Getting hit in the..... [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

In Reply To

In Reply To

In Reply To

No you're too modest.................................you've beaten me to that particular award once againCool

Back in 1967-68 season on a cold overcast Saturday afternoon I was playing in goal on a pitch that was about 15 minutes from the dressing rooms. We had been on the attack althrough the match when our opponents suddenly broke away. I had one striker with a brown leather ball [with lace in it] bearing down on me. From five yards in front of me the aforesaid striker powered in a shot and being such a good goalkeeper I spread myself. Unfortunately the heavy brown leather ball came rapidly into contact with a certain area of my anatomy. The big ball went out for a corner and I was left clutching this certain part of my anatomy in agony.

To my rescue came the club captain, Lance, who being at least twice my age knew everything about injuries. From a bucket that he carried over from the sidelines he produced a dirty brown sponge dripping with ice cold water and said "rub that cold water on your certain part of your anatomy it will help to numb the area". Lance being the hero I did as I was told; it had no effect.

Anyway, as there were no subs in amateur football in those days and I was persuaded to play on, especially as we were hammering oou opponents, but ..... five minutes later I was burning around a certain part of my anatomy, a few minutes after that I was really burning. However, the final whistle went and I sprinted for the dressing room, only to find it locked. I was joined by other team mates and opponents alike, and we waited, and we waited, as I hopped up and down as though some had put chilli powder on a certain area of my anatomy.

Finally, the groundsman appeared pushing a cart with the goal posts and cross bars balanced on it and he unlocked the dressing rooms. I was undressed and in the shower in a record 60 seconds. The water was still cold and gradually it warmed up, but I became the centre of attention, or rather a certain part of my anatomy did. Apart from the fact that it was burning, it was what my then girlfriend described as florid. And the cause ... some twit had poured a bottle of horse linament into the bucket of water before the game.

Later that evening in a side ward of the local casualty department this certain area of my anatomy received a good rubbing of a white acqeous cream from an extremely attractive nurse, who was bright red in the face. Unfortunately the burns that I had to that certain part of my anatomy were such that I derived no pleasure, instead I winced with pain.

Some three months later I had recovered sufficiently to play in the return fixture, when the opposition turned up with a somewhat stronger squad and we were taking a beating when one of their forwards took a liking to my left hand and kicked me on it when my hands were waist high. A return to the same casualty department did not see treatment the attractive nurse, but a rather brusque doctor who explained to me that he didn't see why he should be plaster casting my hand when there were real unwell people in the world.

Andrelux
First Team Regular

Jul 17, 2012, 2:35 PM

Team(s): Brentford (for my sins - obviously done something really bad in a past life

Post #16 of 20 (2478 views)
Shortcut
Re: [pitch 63] Getting hit in the..... [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

this certain area of my anatomy received a good rubbing of a white acqeous cream from an extremely attractive nurse

The lengths some people will go to...

acmold

Jul 17, 2012, 3:28 PM

Post #17 of 20 (2469 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Andrelux] Getting hit in the..... [In reply to] Can't Post or

To quote the great Brian Johnston

"and Ward bowls to Glenn Turner, short, ooh! and it catches him high up on the, er, thigh. That really must have hurt as he's doubled over in pain. I remember when..."

and after 2 minutes of typical Johnners fill, he continued,

"Well, he's bravely going to carry on ... but he doesn't look too good. One ball left."[

Andrelux
First Team Regular

Jul 17, 2012, 4:03 PM

Post #18 of 20 (2458 views)
Shortcut
Re: [acmold] Getting hit in the..... [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I reckon you've set me up for this, but Johnston's most memorable commentary was when Botham was out, hit wicket, against Windies. Jonathan Agnew, the fellow commentator, mentioned that the dismissal was because "Botham hadn't managed to get his leg over". Johnston just giggled, interspersed with the odd "stop it, Aggers".

As any fule kno, Ian Botham was not averse to getting his leg over.

And of course, many years earlier, there's always "The bowler's Holding, the batsman's Willey".

UKPunk

Jul 17, 2012, 11:31 PM

Post #19 of 20 (2420 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Andrelux] Getting hit in the..... [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
I reckon you've set me up for this, but Johnston's most memorable commentary was when Botham was out, hit wicket, against Windies. Jonathan Agnew, the fellow commentator, mentioned that the dismissal was because "Botham hadn't managed to get his leg over". Johnston just giggled, interspersed with the odd "stop it, Aggers".

As any fule kno, Ian Botham was not averse to getting his leg over.

And of course, many years earlier, there's always "The bowler's Holding, the batsman's Willey".

And even earlier.....

"And there's Harvey standing with his legs wide apart, waiting for a tickle." Cool

1-0-1-0-4-25-40-65-181-289=606

Last game: Mon 20/8/18
4. Basford United 1 Hednesford Town 2

sandhurstbee

Jul 18, 2012, 1:30 PM

Team(s): Brentford, Sandhurst Town and Most local Non League sides.

Post #20 of 20 (2388 views)
Shortcut
Re: [UKPunk] Getting hit in the..... [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Happened to me Twice. Back in 1970 I was playing in The Farnborough based Shamrock Rovers Friendly League, which just happened to be the roughest football I have ever seen, nearly every match had a punch up Crazy I was playing for my Works Team CTS United against Farnborough British Legion who had former Aldershot and Grimsby veteran Ron Rafferty playing for them. First few minutes I rushed at Rafferty and jumped in front of him to close the ball down only for him to side step me and go away with the ball. Determined that he wouldn`t make a mug of me again I charged in only for him to attempt to belt the ball upfield only to hit me in the Nuts with a wet heavy Leather ball which left me on the ground in tears. No sympathy from my team mates who were shouting at me to get up and get the ball!
The other time was several years later when I was umpire in a game involving Bracknell Council Depot Cricket Club. I was stood at the side with my hands in the pocket of a White coat when One of our Batsmen swung the bat and hit the ball towards the boundary only to hit me in The Nuts (Once again) My hands automatically closed in my pocket and caught the ball as it connected before the pain set in and I went to ground. Again little sympathy (Plenty of Laughing) and the Batsman was moaning because I had stopped his shot going for a Boundary. Shocked

Last New Ground 2016/17 (15) 29/4/2017 HIGHMOOR/IBIS RESERVES 1 Mortimer 1 - Thames Valley premier league, Premier Division

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3