Search Posts SEARCH
IN

Home: Non Football Related: General Chat:
Coffee

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 Next page Last page  View All

LondonBuck
Chelsea Transfer Target

Jun 20, 2012, 6:01 AM

Team(s): AFC Telford United, Witham Town, Folkestone Invicta, Gillingham, Woking

Post #1 of 101 (4315 views)
Shortcut
Coffee Can't Post or Reply Privately

Do like a nice Cafe Nero Latte, by far the best tasting Coffee of all the shops around.
Costa is absolute rubbish, more like warm milk!
Any views on this?

634 GROUNDS - Punjab United (61/92)
580 WETHERSPOONS - Wallasey
2 WETHERSPOONS HOTELS - Ripon

Jamesie
Deleted

Jun 20, 2012, 8:10 AM

Team(s):

Post #2 of 101 (4302 views)
Shortcut
Re: [LondonBuck] Coffee [In reply to] Can't Post or

In Reply To
Any views on this?

Not really. I find the whole coffee shop culture a bit pretentious for my liking, although I was amused at the anti-Costa rhetoric that was going on when I was in Totnes the other week. For a town that is so far up its own arse, I'd have thought Costa would do a roaring business, but it seems it isn't "individual" enough.

As for coffee preferences, a Columbian Roast made at home thank you.

Just a note to anyone who is wondering, I am no longer a moderator of this forum due to current personal circumstances and work commitments. If you need help, contact leohoenig or Steve walker. Thank You.

Part-Timer
Chelsea Transfer Target

Jun 20, 2012, 9:28 AM

Team(s): Brentford, Bradford City, Peterborough United, Yaxley

Post #3 of 101 (4286 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Jamesie] Coffee [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

In Reply To
Any views on this?

Not really. I find the whole coffee shop culture a bit pretentious for my liking, although I was amused at the anti-Costa rhetoric that was going on when I was in Totnes the other week. For a town that is so far up its own arse, I'd have thought Costa would do a roaring business, but it seems it isn't "individual" enough.

I believe many footballers like a Colombian roast. Why is this in the Non Football Related forum?Wink

acmold
Man City Transfer Target!

Jun 20, 2012, 9:50 AM

Post #4 of 101 (4280 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Part-Timer] Coffee [In reply to] Can't Post or

I never go to all these "Coffee Shops" we have many around here to pamper to the poor old students, went once total waste of money.

Buy the cheepest supermarket coffee going, if I have visitors I may buy a small jar of Kenco.

Remember with supermarket own brands compare the jars, if moulding on one is the same as a named brand there is a good chance it is the named brand inside. Having worked in the food industry years ago I tell you most supermarket own brands are known brands in supermarket packaging but cheaper. Tesco, Sainsbury, Morrisons, etc don't have their own packing plants for these things they just put them out for tender. M&S and Waitrose own brands will be good quality known brands, the rest own brands will be slightly less good quality known brands. That's why many packets say made under licence for Tesco / Sainbury, etc.

Billybadknees
Reserve Team Sub

Jun 20, 2012, 1:16 PM

Team(s): Sheffield FC, Sheffield Wednesday, Staveley MWFC

Post #5 of 101 (4251 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To

In Reply To
Any views on this?

Bickering Fair?

Sig-lite!

Jamesie
Deleted

Jun 20, 2012, 1:17 PM

Team(s):

Post #6 of 101 (4249 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Billybadknees] Coffee [In reply to] Can't Post or

In Reply To

In Reply To

In Reply To
Any views on this?

Bickering Fair?

Oh yes. Liam in full voice around the Riverford Farm Shop - "save money and take me to the zoo!"

Just a note to anyone who is wondering, I am no longer a moderator of this forum due to current personal circumstances and work commitments. If you need help, contact leohoenig or Steve walker. Thank You.

Billybadknees
Reserve Team Sub

Jun 20, 2012, 1:20 PM

Team(s): Sheffield FC, Sheffield Wednesday, Staveley MWFC

Post #7 of 101 (4247 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To

In Reply To

In Reply To

In Reply To
Any views on this?

Bickering Fair?

Oh yes. Liam in full voice around the Riverford Farm Shop - "save money and take me to the zoo!"

Non organic food, its the way forward!

Sig-lite!

VP

Jun 20, 2012, 2:58 PM

Post #8 of 101 (4229 views)
Shortcut
Re: [acmold] Coffee [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Remember with supermarket own brands compare the jars, if moulding on one is the same as a named brand there is a good chance it is the named brand inside. Having worked in the food industry years ago I tell you most supermarket own brands are known brands in supermarket packaging but cheaper. Tesco, Sainsbury, Morrisons, etc don't have their own packing plants for these things they just put them out for tender. M&S and Waitrose own brands will be good quality known brands, the rest own brands will be slightly less good quality known brands. That's why many packets say made under licence for Tesco / Sainbury, etc.

It amazes me how much cheaper own brand stuff is. In the past I've tried to get confirmation from Sainsburys of who makes some of their own-branded foods. They won't say.
Is this one of the biggest marketing cons going on in the UK? How many people know it goes on? Do they really think buying a named brand for double the price is worth it just for the packaging?
It's only when you get to the basics range that quality really changes and even then there are some good things to be had.
Regarding coffee, I can't see how people pay so much for a cup but I suppose it's similer to paying more for a pint in a pub than you would elsewhere. There's a much bigger mark up on coffee though.
I wouldn't know what to do in a coffee shop. They'd probably laugh at me because I'd just want a cup of coffee, not a load of froth and a dash of cinnamon or whatever it is they sprinkle on top.

Part-Timer
Chelsea Transfer Target

Jun 20, 2012, 3:29 PM

Team(s): Brentford, Bradford City, Peterborough United, Yaxley

Post #9 of 101 (4222 views)
Shortcut
Re: [VP] Coffee [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I wouldn't know what to do in a coffee shop. They'd probably laugh at me because I'd just want a cup of coffee, not a load of froth and a dash of cinnamon or whatever it is they sprinkle on top.

On my first visit to the Millenium Stadium I asked for a coffee at one of the outlets inside the ground and was immediately asked all manner of questions about what I wanted. Initially I just stood there with my mouth open, in a daze. Eventually I started answering them one by one, having to seek clarification about some of them. Finally I got frustrated and, to the amusement of a number of people around me, yelled 'I just want a cup of coffee' before apologising profusely for startling the poor girl who was serving me. I'm not sure who was more amazed; me for apparently finding myself in the middle of a Two Ronnies sketch, or the young girl serving me at being confronted with a thick Englishman who didn't know how to order a cup of coffee. Had I been at Costa I could have understood it but at a football ground......Crazy

(This post was edited by Part-Timer on Jun 20, 2012, 3:30 PM)

Mishi

Jun 20, 2012, 3:53 PM

Team(s): Dulwich Hamlet

Post #10 of 101 (4215 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Part-Timer] Coffee [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I must be in the minority of the population who don't drink tea or coffee!

Which is a bit of a pain, as a recovering alcoholic! ;-)

I can't stand coffee, don't even like the smell really, don't eat coffee sweets, hate it when I pick one out of a box, without knowing.

Tea? I've just never drunk it, don't mind the smell, so think I could get used to that if I tried.

With regard to the big coffee shops, not mt 'cup of tea', so to speak, but go into them occasionally, if a friend wants to. And am partial to a hot chocolate, with whipped cream, in Starbucks.

But I wouldn't choose to go into one, as they are all so overpriced.

Grounds visited: 735
Last new ground: Biggleswade Town FC; Langford Road, Biggleswade, Bedfordshire. (Evo-Stik League South Premier Division Central)
Last game: Sunday 27th January 2019: Crystal Palace 0, Durham 2. [FA Women's Super League 2]
Matches watched this season: 115
2017/18-New English grounds: 12; & foreign: 2

wishmaster3211
First Team Star

Jun 20, 2012, 4:18 PM

Team(s): Calne Town, Darlington, Rosenborg, Sussex CCC, Huddersfield RL

Post #11 of 101 (4207 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
I never go to all these "Coffee Shops" we have many around here to pamper to the poor old students, went once total waste of money.

Buy the cheepest supermarket coffee going, if I have visitors I may buy a small jar of Kenco.

Increasingly I find I don't like the taste of instant coffee whatever the brand. However I did once try buying an own brand as they only had massive jars of Nescafe in the supermarket I was in, and it was like sawdust.

Had a friend that used to work in the KJS plant at Banbury and he implied that most of the main brands were actually all KJS products anyway, just with different recipes.

As to the Coffee Houses. My favourite by a long way is AMT, though they mostly only do takeaway outlets at Train stations.

I quite like Starbucks, though they are a bit "Big brother" and the blend is rather weak, I think it tastes OK. Service is usually very good.

Cafe Nero is good tasting but a lot of their outlets seem to suffer from dire service.

Costa is rubbish. I will drink it but its pretty thin. Some of their franchised outlets in filling stations have no clue how to make the coffee!

"Run For the Hills Before They Burn"

Checkout my Facebook page "Proper Football Grounds"

facebook.com/paul.fergusson

acmold

Jun 20, 2012, 5:02 PM

Post #12 of 101 (4197 views)
Shortcut
Re: [wishmaster3211] Coffee [In reply to] Can't Post or

In Reply To
Had a friend that used to work in the KJS plant at Banbury and he implied that most of the main brands were actually all KJS products anyway, just with different recipes.

Sure he is correct, happens in many foods, ask yourself how many factories are there in the UK say making crisps or chips !.

splodge
Chelsea Transfer Target

Jun 20, 2012, 5:49 PM

Post #13 of 101 (4189 views)
Shortcut

Yorkshire Tea Bags for hard waterSmile

www.twitter.com/splodgey
www.facebook.com/paulsplodgeproctor

garethwrexy

Jun 20, 2012, 6:15 PM

Team(s): wrexham and dulwich

Post #14 of 101 (4182 views)
Shortcut
Re: [LondonBuck] Coffee [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

coffee from servies near bangor, is great when working on a55 Smile

wrexham fc fa trophy winners 2013 !

Whiskey Coates
First Team Sub

Jun 20, 2012, 7:46 PM

Team(s): Bridlington Town, Sheffield Wednesday, Scarborough FC.

Post #15 of 101 (4162 views)
Shortcut
Re: [garethwrexy] Coffee [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

Working on ass?? Shocked

garethwrexy

Jun 20, 2012, 8:08 PM

Team(s): wrexham and dulwich

Post #16 of 101 (4151 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Whiskey Coates] Coffee [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

do some night work on the a55 road, servies are grand out that way there is a burger king there as well.Cool

wrexham fc fa trophy winners 2013 !

UKPunk

Jun 20, 2012, 8:14 PM

Post #17 of 101 (4146 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Whiskey Coates] Coffee [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

In Reply To

Working on ass?? Shocked

Oh well, whatever rocks your boat Gareth. Wink

1-0-1-0-4-25-40-65-181-289=606

Last game: Mon 20/8/18
4. Basford United 1 Hednesford Town 2

AnotherGlassboy
First Team Sub

Jun 20, 2012, 8:16 PM

Team(s): Stourbridge FC

Post #18 of 101 (4145 views)
Shortcut

I never go in acoffee shop such as Cafe Nero - way too rip-offish for my liking.

Only ever drink instant coffee out of a Sainsburys or Tesco jar. Tastes far better than all this fancy stuff that takes ages to make and needs hours of washing up afterwards.

Coffee snobs are amongst the most contemptible people on earth!

UKPunk

Jun 20, 2012, 8:20 PM

Post #19 of 101 (4140 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Mishi] Coffee [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
I can't stand coffee, don't even like the smell really, don't eat coffee sweets, hate it when I pick one out of a box, without knowing.

Tea? I've just never drunk it, don't mind the smell, so think I could get used to that if I tried.

I agree with Mishi regarding coffee. I can't stand the taste although I do like the smell.

I'm a big tea drinker though. PG Tips is my favourite brand. Due to the amount I drink I buy decaf which tastes no different from the normal version. As it happens I'm drinking a a cup now.

1-0-1-0-4-25-40-65-181-289=606

Last game: Mon 20/8/18
4. Basford United 1 Hednesford Town 2

mick
Chelsea Transfer Target

Jun 20, 2012, 9:03 PM

Post #20 of 101 (4125 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
Do like a nice Cafe Nero Latte, by far the best tasting Coffee of all the shops around.
Costa is absolute rubbish, more like warm milk!
Any views on this?

Yes .... a real coffee doesn't have milk in it.

mick
Chelsea Transfer Target

Jun 20, 2012, 9:07 PM

Post #21 of 101 (4121 views)
Shortcut
Re: [VP] Coffee [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
I wouldn't know what to do in a coffee shop.

Inhale Cool

mick
Chelsea Transfer Target

Jun 20, 2012, 9:15 PM

Post #22 of 101 (4115 views)
Shortcut
Re: [AnotherGlassboy] Coffee [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Coffee snobs are amongst the most contemptible people on earth!

Love you too XX

Although I prefer the word connoisseur.

wishmaster3211
First Team Star

Jun 20, 2012, 9:38 PM

Team(s): Calne Town, Darlington, Rosenborg, Sussex CCC, Huddersfield RL

Post #23 of 101 (4104 views)
Shortcut
Re: [mick] Coffee [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Id argue that if you only like instant coffee, you dont really like coffee at all.

I drink it at work to keep my caffeine levels up but really to me it tastes foul. Hardly ever have it at home now.

Do like Latte's though. I find they really hit the spot.

Pure black coffee can be a bit too strong particularly on an empty stomach.

"Run For the Hills Before They Burn"

Checkout my Facebook page "Proper Football Grounds"

facebook.com/paul.fergusson

LondonBuck
Chelsea Transfer Target

Jun 20, 2012, 9:44 PM

Team(s): AFC Telford United, Witham Town, Folkestone Invicta, Gillingham, Woking

Post #24 of 101 (4103 views)
Shortcut

I used to drink various instant coffees but having tried some made with real coffee beans I would now hardly ever have instant as it tastes horrible like the dust swept up after the real beans have been used (which most of it probably is!)
Whilst some of the coffeehouses are expensive it does depend on what you get for your money. I don't go there every day but if I'm off out to football on a long trip I will always head for the nearest Nero or AMT outlet to start my day. With Caffe Nero you get two shots of coffee and it has a very nice flavour also you get a loyalty card and a free one after 9 stamps, the price is less than Costa as well, Costa coffee and Starbucks will charge you more for a weak and warm cup of froth Crazy

LondonBuck
Chelsea Transfer Target

Jun 20, 2012, 9:46 PM

Post #25 of 101 (4100 views)
Shortcut
Re: [wishmaster3211] Coffee [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Id argue that if you only like instant coffee, you dont really like coffee at all.

I drink it at work to keep my caffeine levels up but really to me it tastes foul. Hardly ever have it at home now.

Do like Latte's though. I find they really hit the spot.

Pure black coffee can be a bit too strong particularly on an empty stomach.

Find myself in total agreement with all your comments once again wishmaster
Cool

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 Next page Last page  View All

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3