Home: Non-League Football Discussion: Other British Isles Football:
Next Scottish League Team?

007Dale
First Team Star

Jun 12, 2012, 8:44 PM

Post #1 of 5 (2107 views)
Shortcut
Next Scottish League Team? Can't Post or Reply Privately

Now that the end is near for old Rangers, I was thinking about the implications for the rest of the teams. If they are not permitted in the Premier, then the smart money is on them being elected straight into the SFL. However, would any current non-league clubs be able to apply and in reality would any bother?

There is a second possibility, that Rangers buy another current league club, let's say Partick Thistle and 'merge' with them (or takeover) as with Aidrie / Clydebank. In that scenario a Place would become available. Which teams would be expected to apply if a place was free?

HibeeJibee
Reserve Team Star

Jun 12, 2012, 10:27 PM

Team(s): Berwick Rangers, Hibernian, Scotland

Post #2 of 5 (2060 views)
Shortcut
Re: [007Dale] Next Scottish League Team? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

If a vacany was to arise I imagine some non-league clubs would apply... even though it costs a non-refundable 1000 + any costs in writing to clubs/putting together a presentation/etc. ... so that they'd have an enhanced case the next time a vacancy arose.

I'd rate things as follows:

Likelys
Spartans (EOS) - ground completed since last vacancy in 2008
Edinburgh City (EOS)
Preston Athletic (EOS)
Cove Rangers (HFL) - new stadium to be constructed alongside Aberdeen's training centre

Possibles
Gala Fairydean (EOS) - ground recently refurbished with 3G pitch
Inverurie Loco Works (HFL) - ambitious outfit
Gretna 2008 (EOS) - gradual groundworks undertaken and membership application goes before SFA this month

Outsiders
Huntly (HFL) - 1990s passion seems to have faded
Celtic B - if Rangers hadn't successfullly reformed

Always talk of Juniors but none has ever shown an interest and few have seated stands + lights.

LeedsPhil
First Team Star

Jun 13, 2012, 9:46 AM

Team(s): Leeds + groundhopping

Post #3 of 5 (1990 views)
Shortcut
Re: [HibeeJibee] Next Scottish League Team? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

As per last time, Cove Rangers would be a "not yet" - the Loirston Loch project has been delayed until summer 2014 (at the earliest).

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/...nths-86908-23873091/

I encourage those of you who have not done so yet to make a visit to Allan Park - a characterful hotch-potch of old and new, with their neighbour's living room window right by the corner flag.

HibeeJibee
Reserve Team Star

Jun 13, 2012, 10:37 AM

Team(s): Berwick Rangers, Hibernian, Scotland

Post #4 of 5 (1973 views)
Shortcut
Re: [LeedsPhil] Next Scottish League Team? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Tbf that's a seperate project - the Loirston Loch development is a new stadium for Aberdeen, while over at Calder Park is a development of Aberdeen's training centre and an adjacent stadium for Cove. Work's supposed to begin this year. They could of course use Allan Park in SFL.

LeedsPhil
First Team Star

Jun 13, 2012, 12:58 PM

Team(s): Leeds + groundhopping

Post #5 of 5 (1920 views)
Shortcut
Re: [HibeeJibee] Next Scottish League Team? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Indeed separate planning applications - my mistake.
On immediately adjacent pieces of Green Belt land, I had thought it was all one project.
So even if the AFC new stadium didn't go ahead for whatever reason, the AFC training facilities + Cove Rangers stadium still could.

The Calder Park planning application was submitted by "Cove Rangers FC and Aberdeen FC". It was approved at the council's planning meeting in January. The convenor of the meeting stepped outside for that agenda item since she is also the chairperson of Cove Rangers Supporters Club.

There's the third element though.
Stewart Milne (chairman of AFC) Homes' planning application to build (60!) houses on Cove Rangers' Allan Park was on the agenda of the council's planning meeting at the end of May.
The decision was "Deferred".
One would presume it will need that part of the chain to be approved before "Cove Rangers FC and Aberdeen FC" would have the funds to build Cove Rangers' new home at Calder Park.

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3