First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

steve walker
Administrator

May 31, 2012, 12:01 PM

Team(s):

Post #1 of 31 (52711 views)
Shortcut
Software Update for 2012/13......... Quote | Reply or Reply Privately

...... coming soon, currently at the testing stage to try and squash most of the bugs before it is installed.

Some of the improvements include.....

A search function...... You will be able to click on a date and it will return a complete list of fixtures / results that are in the database for that day.
Improved League Table....... now splits the home and away records, has a goal difference column and there is also the option of a form table, displays last 6 matches.
Fixtures / Results...... now split into months instead of one long list and sorted alphabetically by home team name
Attendance Tables...... can be hidden by Editors for leagues that don't issue attendances. Also an attendance of zero is ignored when calculating the average.
The 0-0 win...... no more fighting with this one. Editors can now enter a score of 99-0. This will award the points to the winning team but not record the goals.
End of Season...... archiving of past season and moving onto the next.

Those are the main improvements, there are other minor changes aswell as some styling adjustments. All of this should be online very soon. Thanks very much to everyone who sent a donation to help pay for this site upgrade.

Cheers

johnanderson
Reserve Team Star

Jun 1, 2012, 11:08 PM

Team(s): bolton,farsley celtic, ossett albion, ossett town, budleigh salterton,

Post #2 of 31 (52618 views)
Shortcut
Re: [steve walker] Software Update for 2012/13......... [In reply to] Quote | Reply or Reply Privately

Thanks Steve...looking forward to it!

steve walker
Administrator

Jun 25, 2012, 6:26 PM

Team(s):

Post #3 of 31 (51630 views)
Shortcut
Re: [steve walker] Software Update for 2012/13......... [In reply to] Quote | Reply or Reply Privately

this update is just about ready... as soon as I can stop breaking it! Have to say it looks good, I think it will be a much more useful resource than before and the main site is moving in the right direction.

TC of Bracknell
Junior Team Sub

Jul 3, 2012, 5:39 PM

Post #4 of 31 (51237 views)
Shortcut

Hi Steve, was there any thought given to allowing clubs to embed the league tables on their own sites etc?

I am sure you could attach sponsorship or google ad words to anything, you would likely see a good return. I am crying out for something like that at Step 5.

All the latest local football news in Berkshire at www.getreading.co.uk/goalpost and www.getbracknell.co.uk/goalpost

Hitchin-John
First Team Sub

Jul 11, 2012, 11:39 AM

Team(s): Hitchin Town

Post #5 of 31 (50862 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
this update is just about ready... as soon as I can stop breaking it! Have to say it looks good, I think it will be a much more useful resource than before and the main site is moving in the right direction.

With the new fixtures due for release next week, a couple of questions:-

Can we start inputting fixtures for August?

Will the new software be implemented?, if not, will we have to repeat the exercise when it is?.

Or do we do nothing until advised to do so.

Many thanks.

steve walker
Administrator

Jul 11, 2012, 4:45 PM

Team(s):

Post #6 of 31 (50820 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Hitchin-John] Software Update for 2012/13......... [In reply to] Quote | Reply or Reply Privately

In Reply To

In Reply To

With the new fixtures due for release next week, a couple of questions:-

Can we start inputting fixtures for August?

Will the new software be implemented?, if not, will we have to repeat the exercise when it is?.

Or do we do nothing until advised to do so.

Many thanks.

No don't do anything just yet.

I'm expecting the upgrade to be online in the next few days.

After that it's quite a long process.... each league needs to be moved onto 2012 - 13 so that 20011 - 12 is archived........ each division will have to have the promoted / relegated teams moved in and out. It's quite a lengthy process unfortunately, as in time consuming.

So when you see that there is a 2012-13 tab on your league AND the right teams are listed in the table, only then can you start inputting the fixtures.

Cheers..... Steve

(This post was edited by steve walker on Jul 11, 2012, 4:51 PM)

steve walker
Administrator

Jul 11, 2012, 4:53 PM

Team(s):

Post #7 of 31 (50816 views)
Shortcut
Re: [TC of Bracknell] Software Update for 2012/13......... [In reply to] Quote | Reply or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Hi Steve, was there any thought given to allowing clubs to embed the league tables on their own sites etc?

I am sure you could attach sponsorship or google ad words to anything, you would likely see a good return. I am crying out for something like that at Step 5.

This is something I really want but couldn't get it into the current upgrade. I will ask some questions though about cost and timescale as it is the next feature I want to add.

grantham
Reserve Team Sub

Jul 12, 2012, 10:13 AM

Post #8 of 31 (50731 views)
Shortcut

After that it's quite a long process.... each league needs to be moved onto 2012 - 13 so that 20011 - 12 is archived........ each division will have to have the promoted / relegated teams moved in and out. It's quite a lengthy process unfortunately, as in time consuming.

So when you see that there is a 2012-13 tab on your league AND the right teams are listed in the table, only then can you start inputting the fixtures.

Then I'm afraid it was badly designed, it was obvious this was going to be needed, did the software design staff not consider this to start with ?

The Football Archives -------- Programmehut.com

steve walker
Administrator

Jul 12, 2012, 12:40 PM

Team(s):

Post #9 of 31 (50696 views)
Shortcut
Re: [grantham] Software Update for 2012/13......... [In reply to] Quote | Reply or Reply Privately

In Reply To

Then I'm afraid it was badly designed, it was obvious this was going to be needed, did the software design staff not consider this to start with ?

by "lengthy process" I mean that there are a helluva lot of divisions to move teams in and out of. Plus some constitutions particularly of Step 7+ divisions aren't even clear until right up to the last minute if last season is anything to go by. It isn't a software design fault, I can't really think of a way it could have been done better. I migrate a league to the new season when the constitution is confirmed then click on a team and assign it to a new division for 2012/13 if it wasn't in the right division already or create a team if it's new.

Moving onto a new season was deliberately designed to be as an update in order to keep the initial costs down. Unfortunately it is just taking a little longer than anticipated but will be in place in the next few days.

PaulC
Man City Transfer Target!

Jul 31, 2012, 9:02 AM

Team(s): AFC Darwen, Troon, Ayr Utd, Burnley

Post #10 of 31 (49646 views)
Shortcut

Hi Steve. Just wondering how things are coming along. The league season has now begun in Scotland.

steve walker
Administrator

Jul 31, 2012, 11:23 AM

Team(s):

Post #11 of 31 (49637 views)
Shortcut
Re: [PaulC] Software Update for 2012/13......... [In reply to] Quote | Reply or Reply Privately

I'm chasing it. Before the end of the week for sure even if there are still some glitches left to sort out.

Can you email me the constitutions of the Scottish Leagues and where any changed clubs have come from so I can get on with those leagues straight away.

Cheers.... Steve

PaulC
Man City Transfer Target!

Jul 31, 2012, 11:37 AM

Team(s): AFC Darwen, Troon, Ayr Utd, Burnley

Post #12 of 31 (49635 views)
Shortcut

will do

Hitchin-John
First Team Sub

Aug 12, 2012, 10:33 AM

Team(s): Hitchin Town

Post #13 of 31 (48927 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
I'm chasing it. Before the end of the week for sure even if there are still some glitches left to sort out.

With just 6 days to go before the majority of us kick off it is important that we begin to load the fixtures. If we fail I think the site will lose some of it's credability if we have to key in results after the event. Hope you have a good penalty clause written in your contract with your software designers/writers.

Haywain
Reserve Team Regular

Aug 13, 2012, 8:56 PM

Team(s): Luton Town

Post #14 of 31 (48754 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Hitchin-John] Software Update for 2012/13......... [In reply to] Quote | Reply or Reply Privately

Unfortunately it's a couple of days after some kicked off, and a good week after a lot more kicked off. The credibility gap could already be opening.

Haywain - following the Hatters through thin and thin.

steve walker
Administrator

Aug 14, 2012, 9:54 AM

Team(s):

Post #15 of 31 (48689 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Haywain] Software Update for 2012/13......... [In reply to] Quote | Reply or Reply Privately

I'm aware of all this. I hassle the developers but all I get are apologies and promises.... it's bloody infuriating. They have let me down very badly and I'm not happy at all. This was the latest (Friday):

I too am very concerned about the length of time this process has taken and understand that the development team have been struggling with bug fixing the divisions (the other revision for the tables has been completed the changes can be seen in the development area). After a meeting this morning with the both the company directors and the studio team I understand that they only have a couple more days left until the divisions issue is rectified.

chienmort
First Team Sub

Aug 14, 2012, 3:16 PM

Team(s): Poole Town FC, Queens Park RANGERS.

Post #16 of 31 (48641 views)
Shortcut

I think the main thing is that once the site is updated, we all evangelise the changes to encourage people to visit. I know the form option was one that was badly missed.

Thanks for all your work Steve

Poole Town FC - les couilles du chien

steve walker
Administrator

Aug 14, 2012, 4:12 PM

Team(s):

Post #17 of 31 (48628 views)
Shortcut
Re: [chienmort] Software Update for 2012/13......... [In reply to] Quote | Reply or Reply Privately

I think the main problem will be re-energising the Editors. The biggest problem is getting the site updated, especially Step 7+

If Editors could start PMing me the new constitutions of their leagues it would save me some time in getting them ready for 2012-13, especially adding where any new teams have come from.

Thanks

chienmort
First Team Sub

Aug 14, 2012, 4:55 PM

Team(s): Poole Town FC, Queens Park RANGERS.

Post #18 of 31 (48616 views)
Shortcut

I'll try to get the Southern League done over the next few days.
What format do you want them in?

Poole Town FC - les couilles du chien

steve walker
Administrator

Aug 14, 2012, 5:49 PM

Team(s):

Post #19 of 31 (48606 views)
Shortcut
Re: [chienmort] Software Update for 2012/13......... [In reply to] Quote | Reply or Reply Privately

I'm okay with Steps 1 - 4. It's really the more minor leagues that are a little time consuming, sometimes with teams that to be honest I haven't even heard of.

steve walker
Administrator

Aug 15, 2012, 12:14 PM

Team(s):

Post #20 of 31 (48489 views)
Shortcut

The update has been deployed.

If you check Conference North/South I have added some fixtures so you can see the new layout. There is a bug stopping me adding new teams at the moment so unable to do the Step 1 Conference (Macc and Hereford) but that should be fixed quickly. [famous last words]

You will see that the Home/Away split is added in the league tables, goal difference column added and the colours have been toned down. There is a Form table which will display the last six games for each team. Fixtures / Results are sorted by month instead of a long list.

In the top menu there is a SEARCH button added (will add that to the forum aswell) which lets you.... well.... search.

Attendance tables can be hidden on leagues that don't issue attendances and the '0-0 win' is now catered for.... Editors.... in this case enter the score as 99-0 to whoever the game is awarded to and the software will now handle it.

It will take some time to get all the divisions of all the leagues sorted into the right constitions so that 2012/13 data can be entered. I had planned to have this update ready mid-June so that everything would be ready to go at the start of August so we're playing catch up now by about 6 weeks but we'll get there. When a division is ready I will add a few fixtures or results and hopefully an Editor will be checking and take it up from there.

Cheers

multilevel
Reserve Team Sub

Aug 15, 2012, 9:33 PM

Post #21 of 31 (48428 views)
Shortcut

Sorry to be the first to report a buglet for the new software. It isn't something that affects this season but it does affect last season's archive.

If you go to the archive of last year's results you will see that the division code that is being picked up for the results is that of the division that the home team is in for 2012/13, not the division they were in for 2011/12.

For example, the Kettering Town 3 Newport County 2 result from Conference National on 13th August 2011 is shown as "SLP" because Kettering Town are in SLP for 2012/13.

As I say, it won't affect the 2012/13 season work so is not an urgent problem.

I'm looking forward to inputting the data! (Must be something wrong with me!)

steve walker
Administrator

Aug 15, 2012, 10:18 PM

Team(s):

Post #22 of 31 (48419 views)
Shortcut
Re: [multilevel] Software Update for 2012/13......... [In reply to] Quote | Reply or Reply Privately

Thanks and don't be sorry.

I think this is related to a bug I already noticed where teams that have changed divisions are having their fixtures appear both in the division they were in last season aswell as the new one they are in now. It only happens in the admin and not on the user side of the site. I reported this this morning and am waiting for a fix before I move any more leagues onto the new season in case any fixtures entered need to be deleted and re-entered after its fixed.

Generally though I hope people are finding the upgrade an improvement. You guys helped pay for it after all.

Steve

MCMXC
Youth Team Sub

Aug 16, 2012, 8:58 AM

Team(s): Liverpool, Peterborough, Deeping Rangers

Post #23 of 31 (48384 views)
Shortcut

Its looks good so far, but can i suggest, if possible that the tables have vertical lines seperating the O H A as it could make people who dont have 20:20 vision harder to read it, with so many columns of numbers now.

steve walker
Administrator

Aug 16, 2012, 9:38 AM

Team(s):

Post #24 of 31 (48373 views)
Shortcut
Re: [MCMXC] Software Update for 2012/13......... [In reply to] Quote | Reply or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Its looks good so far, but can i suggest, if possible that the tables have vertical lines seperating the O H A as it could make people who dont have 20:20 vision harder to read it, with so many columns of numbers now.

They do.

What browser are you using?

petermiller36
First Team Sub

Aug 16, 2012, 9:57 AM

Team(s): Ware & AFC Wimbledon

Post #25 of 31 (48365 views)
Shortcut

I'm probably not the only editor for the Midland Combination and West Midlands Regional divisions, but do you still want these constitutions or do you already have them?

Steps 4-7 Relegation and Promotion document:
http://bit.ly/PPG1819

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3