Home: Non-League Football Discussion: Restructuring Discussion:
Wessex ,Dorset Leagues

alderholt saint
Ballboy/girl

May 7, 2012, 11:35 AM

Post #1 of 17 (4435 views)
Shortcut
Wessex ,Dorset Leagues Can't Post or Reply Privately

Does anyone know of any new teams joining the Wessex League or Dorset Premier leagues for next season.I heard QK Southampton were hoping to join the Wessex,but not much else.Is there any rumours with the Hampshire league and the Hampshire 2004 joining together creating two leagues.

splodge
Chelsea Transfer Target

May 8, 2012, 8:33 AM

Post #2 of 17 (4240 views)
Shortcut
Re: [alderholt saint] Wessex ,Dorset Leagues [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Does anyone know of any new teams joining the Wessex League or Dorset Premier leagues for next season.I heard QK Southampton were hoping to join the Wessex,but not much else.Is there any rumours with the Hampshire league and the Hampshire 2004 joining together creating two leagues.

Bar Qk applying, I've not heard about any other sides applying for the Wessex. As they are unsure if they can get the lights up in time, they are not confident of being accepted.

The 2 Hants Leagues merging rumour appears every summer, I'll believe its happened when I see it!

www.twitter.com/splodgey
www.facebook.com/paulsplodgeproctor

HantsLondoner
First Team Star

May 8, 2012, 9:12 AM

Team(s): Hants/Middx/Sussex Non-League, Brentford, THFC, Eastleigh, SC Freiburg

Post #3 of 17 (4229 views)
Shortcut
Re: [splodge] Wessex ,Dorset Leagues [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Not heard any more than that either. On Saturday both QK and Liphook were bemoaning the cost of updating to the Wessex.
When I watched Durley v Andover Lions nobody knew of any plans to resurrect a merger with the Hampshire Premier, and nobody knew if anyone (including their their own clubs) would be applying to it (Andover didn't make the top 3 in the end anyway, so that's probably academic).
The Hampshire 2004 website hasn't been updated for a fortnight anyway, bar to say that Upham won the League Cup.

If you're going to/been to a Hampshire Premier League match, I'd really appreciate you filling in a questionnaire - available in the Groundhopping/General section, or just PM me for a copy. Thanks.

RRYFS
First Team Sub

May 9, 2012, 11:41 AM

Team(s): Leicester City, AFC Bournemouth, Hamworthy United

Post #4 of 17 (4084 views)
Shortcut
Re: [alderholt saint] Wessex ,Dorset Leagues [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Don't expect anything from Dorset - Wincanton Town have applied to join the Western League. The assumption seems to be that their finishing position of 4th will be enough, so it probably depends on their facilities and the total number of new teams the Western choose to take, as there are applicants from elsewhere. Wareham Rangers have finished 2nd in the DSL which will probably see them promoted to the DPL. Depending on the number of teams the DPL choose to run with next season, I would anticipate Sherborne Reserves being relegated to the DSL - that would put the DPL back to 18.
Unless footprints change significantly, any DPL teams likely to look for future promotions would probably go the Western route.

Mister TwoU
First Team Star

May 9, 2012, 2:42 PM

Team(s): Malvern Town F,C,

Post #5 of 17 (4012 views)
Shortcut
Re: [RRYFS] Wessex ,Dorset Leagues [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

My suspicions lie with the Western League bringing up their Premier division to 20 by relegating Corsham and promoting Cadbury Heath, Calne Town, Gillingham Town & Melksham Town. That will take division 1 down to 16 teams and so presume it likely they'll take four new recruits, if there are four teams available to come up that qualify.

Professional cretin.

Sarumio
Man City Transfer Target!

May 9, 2012, 3:05 PM

Team(s): Salisbury

Post #6 of 17 (3999 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Mister TwoU] Wessex ,Dorset Leagues [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
My suspicions lie with the Western League bringing up their Premier division to 20 by relegating Corsham and promoting Cadbury Heath, Calne Town, Gillingham Town & Melksham Town. That will take division 1 down to 16 teams and so presume it likely they'll take four new recruits, if there are four teams available to come up that qualify.

You are forgetting the "Buckland Factor"

So with Merthyr Town going up and Buckland Athletic coming in it'll be 18

Relegate Corsham Town and promote the top 3 in Division One = 20

Alternatively - leave Corsham where they are and sprinkle in a little Calne Town and you have 22 in the Prem and 15 in D1

Which would mean the Western D1 could take 3 promoted sides (one from each of the GSL (Cribbs), SCL (Cheddar) and Dorset League (Wincanton Town to make a 22/18 split

Mister TwoU
First Team Star

May 9, 2012, 3:21 PM

Team(s): Malvern Town F,C,

Post #7 of 17 (3994 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Sarumio] Wessex ,Dorset Leagues [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

In Reply To

You are forgetting the "Buckland Factor"

So with Merthyr Town going up and Buckland Athletic coming in it'll be 18

Relegate Corsham Town and promote the top 3 in Division One = 20

Alternatively - leave Corsham where they are and sprinkle in a little Calne Town and you have 22 in the Prem and 15 in D1

Which would mean the Western D1 could take 3 promoted sides (one from each of the GSL (Cribbs), SCL (Cheddar) and Dorset League (Wincanton Town to make a 22/18 split

Quite so! I had forgotten Buckland. Blush

Don't think they'd likely go 22/18, such a large size variation between the two divisions would be unlike them... however -

If the 2013-14 restructure DOES go ahead, they'll be wanting as many teams already in their top division as is possible for 2012-13 - to reduce the volume of influx of 'foreign' teams from Hellenic & Wessex! Which I'm becoming convinced will be a large factor in their thoughts.

Professional cretin.

VP

May 9, 2012, 7:50 PM

Post #8 of 17 (3914 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Mister TwoU] Wessex ,Dorset Leagues [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Don't think they'd likely go 22/18, such a large size variation between the two divisions would be unlike them...

The make up of each division is one of the few rules leagues and their members can decide for themselves. It's rule 13.4 in the standardised rules. Strangely the Western League have marked this rule as 'not applicable' in their handbook which is available to view online. They don't say how many teams are to be in each division or how many promotion and relegation places there are between their divisions. There are two ways of looking at this - you can say it's flexible or you can say it's open to abuse and appeals.
I've compared to the Combined Counties rules. They have nine subsections of the rule running to 26 lines of text.

splodge
Chelsea Transfer Target

May 17, 2012, 12:44 AM

Post #9 of 17 (3595 views)
Shortcut

Spoke to someone from QK Southampton at Fleetlands tonight - They have as they expected been turned down for promotion to the Wessex League.

www.twitter.com/splodgey
www.facebook.com/paulsplodgeproctor

HarryC
Chelsea Transfer Target

May 18, 2012, 11:13 PM

Team(s): Fleet, Aldershot, Chelsea

Post #10 of 17 (3407 views)
Shortcut
Re: [splodge] Wessex ,Dorset Leagues [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Seems that Fleet Town are being reprieved (at the expense of Darlington) so will not be coming down to Wessex for 2012-3 season.

VP

May 19, 2012, 12:18 AM

Post #11 of 17 (3382 views)
Shortcut
Re: [HarryC] Wessex ,Dorset Leagues [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Seems that Fleet Town are being reprieved (at the expense of Darlington) so will not be coming down to Wessex for 2012-3 season.

I've got nothing against Fleet but I wasn't impressed to read a certain paragraph on their official website -

"Itís a strange feeling knowing that you will be playing in a lower division next season, against teams that we have subconsciously looked down on and visiting grounds that are not a lot better than some public parks".

http://www.fleettownfc.co.uk/current-newsletter.php

I don't know if they're referring to the Wessex, Combined Counties or both but, without being nasty, Fleet's hardly on par with Wembley Stadium is it?

It reminded me of Walton Casuals' captain who slated step 5 when they finished in a relegation position stating that the players were too good for that level and would all find other step 4 clubs to play for. If they were that good they wouldn't have finished in a relegation place!
In the end Casuals also got a reprieve but it shows how step 5 is looked down on by some step 4 clubs and players.

HarryC
Chelsea Transfer Target

May 19, 2012, 8:28 AM

Team(s): Fleet, Aldershot, Chelsea

Post #12 of 17 (3337 views)
Shortcut
Re: [VP] Wessex ,Dorset Leagues [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Everyone has opinions, many of us that follow one club for many years see it go up and down between divisions/levels and used to playing on park pitches, normal good pitches or larger stadiums with facilities that most of us could only dream of for our clubs. Though someone else that had not been involved so long and only used to seeing their side play at one level may have different view of a change than others that have seen it before.

nico
Chelsea Transfer Target

May 19, 2012, 10:53 AM

Team(s): SV Schadenfreude

Post #13 of 17 (3290 views)
Shortcut
Re: [VP] Wessex ,Dorset Leagues [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
"Itís a strange feeling knowing that you will be playing in a lower division next season, against teams that we have subconsciously looked down on and visiting grounds that are not a lot better than some public parks".

Just demonstrates how supposedly national ground grading standards vary wildly between the north (& midlands) compared to down south. Most clubs in the Kent Invicta League can only dream of having the facilities that Handsworth possess yet the FA in their wisdom create a Step 6 league just like that and allow their member clubs 5 years to reach the 'required standard' (yeah, right, that's really gonna happen!) while rubber-stamping the NCEL's decision to expel Handsworth just because the players and officials have to walk 100 yards unguarded from the safety of the dressing rooms to the pitch. Now I know that part of Sheffield ain't pretty but it's not Afghanistan, you're not going to be picked off by Taliban snipers FFS! Crazy

One moment's high and glory rolls on by

paulm
Youth Team Sub

Jun 11, 2012, 8:20 PM

Team(s):

Post #14 of 17 (2685 views)
Shortcut
Re: [nico] Wessex ,Dorset Leagues [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Sturminster Marshall have taken voluntary relegation from the DPL to the Dorset County League which would reprieve Sherborne Town Reserves.

Sarumio

Jun 11, 2012, 9:24 PM

Team(s): Salisbury

Post #15 of 17 (2645 views)
Shortcut
Re: [paulm] Wessex ,Dorset Leagues [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Sturminster Marshall have taken voluntary relegation from the DPL to the Dorset County League which would reprieve Sherborne Town Reserves.

The league was running with 19 teams due to Shaftesbury coming in from above last season! What is the preferred number - I'm guessing it isn't 19 so wouldn't be so sure Sherborne Town Reserves are safe? Anyone coming up from the Dorset Senior League?

RRYFS
First Team Sub

Jun 11, 2012, 10:03 PM

Team(s): Leicester City, AFC Bournemouth, Hamworthy United

Post #16 of 17 (2621 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Sarumio] Wessex ,Dorset Leagues [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

It seems to be generally assumed that Wareham Rangers are coming up from 2nd in the DSL. With Stur withdrawing and Wincanton assumed to be going up, that would leave the preferred 18. Sherborne believed they were reprieved - whether anyone official gave them the word, who knows? Now the Western have turned down Wincanton, I can't believe that the DPL will stay at 19. By all normal judgements, Sherborne deserve to be relegated, even if their 1st team doesn't!

paulm
Youth Team Sub

Jun 11, 2012, 10:21 PM

Team(s):

Post #17 of 17 (2599 views)
Shortcut
Re: [RRYFS] Wessex ,Dorset Leagues [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

There's a bit more detail on the DPL website including the following statement that was posted on 1 June.

"In accordance with league rule 5(d) - final paragraph - Sherborne Town Reserves are reprieved and will be part of the constitution of the League for season 2012/13."

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3