Hate without rivalry?

Mishi
Man City Transfer Target!

Mar 4, 2012, 12:27 AM

Team(s): Dulwich Hamlet

Post #1 of 20 (2344 views)
Shortcut
Hate without rivalry? Can't Post or Reply Privately

Hate may be too strong a word for some, maybe dislike...but I'll stick with hate.

What team(s) do you hate for no real reason?

For example, I give you Swiindon Town....

I have a good mate from Belgium, & he is friendly with the Oxford United supporters team, who I've since met, & played against, for both Dulwich Hamlet & Namur supporters teams. I went to Swindon Town v. Oxford United earlier in the season; he was in the away end, & he got me & another Belgian mate of his tickets for the home stand. I was quiet, clapped at the right times, but was happy enough when Oxford won.

So, basically, I took sides on the day, as a 'neutral', but didn't really dislike Swindon.

But a couple of months ago I met him briefly afte work, in a pub by Tower Hill, where he'd parked. He had been to White Hart Lane & he had four friends with him in his motor. I had some books to give him, which he'd ordered on Amazon, which were a lot cheaper postage wise, for him to use my address, rather than his own. One was an Oxford United miscellany book. When I handed them over a drunk bloke came over & was really abusive, slagging off Poxford & wanting confrontation. He was a Swindon fan on his way back from Colchester, I think it was. He was shouting, abusive, but wouldn't back it up, after a quiet whisper in his ear to have a 'one to one' chat outside. He had the opportunity to back it up several times, before we just told him to F*** off; nothing else happened, as he continued ranting from ten foot away, as we left, as they were heading for their shuttle connection.

Anyway, I didn't particularly dislike Swindon, though I prefer Oxford if they play. But thanks to this one bloke they are up there in my list of 'clubs I hate'.
with Oxford beating them two nil today I hope he has had a really miserable day & night! Thinking of him was the icing on the cake after our Supporters Team win & then First Team victory over Worthing today.

And that's why I hate Swindon, despite them never being rivals to Dulwich Hamlet!

Anyone else got other reasons for 'irrational hate' of a side?

Grounds visited: 745
Last new ground:Horsham FC; The Camping World Community Stadium, Horsham, West Sussex. (Isthmian League Premier Division)
Last game: Saturday 21st September 2019: Dulwich Hamlet 6, Bognor Regis Town 1. [ FA Cup 2nd qualifying round]
Matches watched this season: 46
2017/18-New English grounds: 7 & foreign: 0

cope1

Mar 4, 2012, 12:09 PM

Post #2 of 20 (2317 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Mishi] Hate without rivalry? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I'm more likely to 'hate' clubs I've played against or had bad dealings with in terms of organisation. There are one or two AFA clubs I won't name who get up my nose because they moan about everything and take an incredibly myopic view about everything, suggesting the answer that suits them is the obvious one and any other suggestion shows how incompetent the league or other clubs are.

In terms of what you're talking about, I'm afraid I've met fans of a lot of clubs who behave like that, including the clubs I have an affiliation with. Ultimately I think there are probably Oxford and Hamlet fans who can behave the way the idiot you're talking about did, but hopefully they don't make a habit of it and hopefully they are very much in a minority.

Steelback
First Team Star

Mar 4, 2012, 3:33 PM

Team(s): Northamptonshire Steelbacks : Peterborough United : San Francisco 49ers

Post #3 of 20 (2297 views)
Shortcut

easy one this

Liverp**l & L**ds United

Entirely fan related with both until Liverp**l's recent handling of the Suarez affair made it club related also.

Oh & B*rcelona for the media love of them & the constant turning a blind eye to their cheating when other clubs get lambasted for it. Messi is a fantastic player but one of the biggest cheats in World football as is evidenced by his punching the ball into the net and claiming the goal, to me a world player of the year that does not make.

I also fail to see the point of T.N.S as a club as their ground is awful & got the impression when I visited that they would much rather not have any spectators, though I'm not sure why anyone would support them anyway & they seem to meet the Welsh FA's domestice licence critieria based solely on money and nothing else.

‘Informative’ Posts Only, by order of the Forum KGB

acmold

Mar 4, 2012, 4:23 PM

Post #4 of 20 (2289 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Mishi] Hate without rivalry? [In reply to] Can't Post or

Was kept awake to the wee hours this morning by the dancing in the streets, 39 years and 1 week is a long time to wait.

Must say Radio Wiltshire gave very good coverage of Salisbury's game yesterday hardly ever mentioned Swindon Town's defeat earlier in the day.

Also just for Mishi, don't really like Tooting & Mitcham, why because for two or three years running when they played at Abingdon Town a handful of there fans were nothing but trouble. Remember one year they were throwing fireworks onto the pitch, and when there is just 6 or 7 people behind the goal where they were coming from it was easy to spot who was doing it. I seem to recall two years running the Police had to be called and "fans" had to be ejected from the ground, on one occasion one was arrrested for swearing at the Police.

(This post was edited by acmold on Mar 4, 2012, 4:27 PM)

Whiskey Coates
First Team Sub

Mar 4, 2012, 4:26 PM

Team(s): Bridlington Town, Sheffield Wednesday, Scarborough FC.

Post #5 of 20 (2288 views)
Shortcut

Any club that gets taken over by some billionaire or consortium and suddenly decides it's a 'global franchise'. I used to think the likes of Man City and Chelsea were ok, but can't stand them now.

Any club who's fans and/or owners think that they're bigger than they actually are, and who 'deserve' to be playing in the Premier League or challenging for a place in Europe, regardless of what division they're actually in. I'm looking at you Wolves, Leeds, West Ham, Sheffield United and Scarborough Athletic Wink

Whiskey Coates
First Team Sub

Mar 4, 2012, 4:36 PM

Post #6 of 20 (2283 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Steelback] Hate without rivalry? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
easy one this

Liverp**l & L**ds United

Entirely fan related with both until Liverp**l's recent handling of the Suarez affair made it club related also.

When I was at school if you didn't support Liverpool or Leeds then you got beaten up. Well maybe that's a bit harsh but definately verbally harrassed. I once got my satchel thrown out of an upstairs window cos I didn't support the right team. I'm over it now though and it doesn't affect me any more.

I liked Liverpool cos I loved Kevin Keegan.

And I agree with you regarding the Suarez stuff. Thought the club, Dalglish and Suarez himself handled it appallingly.

MistaFozzII
First Team Regular

Mar 4, 2012, 5:03 PM

Team(s): Darlingto

Post #7 of 20 (2274 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Whiskey Coates] Hate without rivalry? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

My stepdad(a Sunderland fan) hates Coventry and Leeds

Coventry because back in the 70's, about 1976 I think, one of the final games of that Season, Jimmy Hill supposedly got his game delayed and in the end Coventry escaped relegation at Sunderlands expense...

He also hates Leeds, I dont know why, but I also cannot stand them either

Mista Fozz

Husband, Dad, Mascot Extraordinaire and all round Idiot

nisi tu Deus, qui possit iudicare
My Facebook Profile
My Twitter Feed

Whiskey Coates
First Team Sub

Mar 4, 2012, 5:17 PM

Post #8 of 20 (2269 views)
Shortcut
Re: [MistaFozzII] Hate without rivalry? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

Coventry because back in the 70's, about 1976 I think, one of the final games of that Season, Jimmy Hill supposedly got his game delayed and in the end Coventry escaped relegation at Sunderlands expense...

A lot of people hate Leeds but don't seem to know why. They just seem to be one of those clubs that people love to hate and I think it all goes back to the Don Revie era.

A lot of people also hate Jimmy Hill. Not me though.

Oh I also hate any club that Peter Ridsdale is involved with.

(This post was edited by Whiskey Coates on Mar 4, 2012, 5:19 PM)

MistaFozzII
First Team Regular

Mar 4, 2012, 5:28 PM

Post #9 of 20 (2262 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Whiskey Coates] Hate without rivalry? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I personally could not care less about Jimmy Hill, my stepdad says his name is the worst of swear words, to a lesser extent he also hates Lawrie McMenemy and Howard Wilkinson. It is like the Harry Potter film 'he whose name you should not mention'

Mista Fozz

My Facebook Profile
My Twitter Feed

dottirofhod

Mar 4, 2012, 5:29 PM

Team(s): Crewe Alex and obviously England.(Unlike a lot on here)

Post #10 of 20 (2262 views)
Shortcut
Re: [MistaFozzII] Hate without rivalry? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

Coventry and Bristol City escaped, any result bar a draw would have put the other down when they learnt the Sunderland score. So he should hate Bristol City as well who were involved in this cheat of a game on May 19, 1977. Mind you if Sunderland had won against Everton !!.

July 1, 2019 to June 30,2020 = 87 / 75 / 12 / inc 3 x 0-0's. (You know my rules) @ 14 / 10 / 2019.
2019/20. Benelux = Bel = 0-0-0-(I(MUI-I)-0-0)-(0-2-1-1)/ Lux = 0-2 / Neth = 0-0-0-(1 - 2) Others France = 0-0 / Germany =0-0-0 / Italy =0-1(Act 2- Frosinone new)./ Iberia = P = 0-0 & S = 0-0.

Now blogging at https://eccentricity.video.blog/

MistaFozzII
First Team Regular

Mar 4, 2012, 5:41 PM

Post #11 of 20 (2258 views)
Shortcut
Re: [dottirofhod] Hate without rivalry? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

He always laid the blame on Jimmy Hill and nobody else.

One team I hate is Middlesbrough, not because of a rivalry, but for reasons I dont really know

Mista Fozz

My Facebook Profile
My Twitter Feed

Whiskey Coates
First Team Sub

Mar 4, 2012, 5:57 PM

Post #12 of 20 (2255 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
I personally could not care less about Jimmy Hill, my stepdad says his name is the worst of swear words, to a lesser extent he also hates Lawrie McMenemy and Howard Wilkinson. It is like the Harry Potter film 'he whose name you should not mention'

Is there anyone your stepdad does like?

I hate Harry Potter. Or rather I hate JK Rowling for creating him.

(This post was edited by Whiskey Coates on Mar 4, 2012, 5:58 PM)

MistaFozzII
First Team Regular

Mar 4, 2012, 6:01 PM

Post #13 of 20 (2251 views)
Shortcut

He is a miserable old sod, it is like he is turning in Victor Meldrew as time goes on...his brother is even worse, twists, moans and hates pretty much everything outside the family

Mista Fozz

My Facebook Profile
My Twitter Feed

Whiskey Coates
First Team Sub

Mar 4, 2012, 6:12 PM

Post #14 of 20 (2243 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
He is a miserable old sod, it is like he is turning in Victor Meldrew as time goes on...

Actually, me and your stepdad sound a lot alike.

Ancient Wolf
Reserve Team Regular

Mar 4, 2012, 6:12 PM

Team(s): Middlesbrough and Norton and Stockton Ancients

Post #15 of 20 (2242 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
He always laid the blame on Jimmy Hill and nobody else.

One team I hate is Middlesbrough, not because of a rivalry, but for reasons I dont really know

Thanks Fozz!

I have never hated Newcastle and Sunderland unlike some other Boro fans mainly because of their passion for the club esp in the Magpies case which is almost blind loyalty.

Leeds I hate for the "professionalism" they introduced during Revie era which was cheating and intimadating refs.
The club and fans have had a persecution complex ever since. Even a recent book at how they have been cheated by football authorities for last 50 years.

Barcelona I have always liked. The members system and the way they stood up to General Franco.

mick
Chelsea Transfer Target

Mar 4, 2012, 9:33 PM

Post #16 of 20 (2208 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Ancient Wolf] Hate without rivalry? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Any team managed by Colin W****r, doubly so now he's teamed up with Master Bates.

blucher blue
Youth Team Regular

Mar 4, 2012, 10:41 PM

Team(s): Stalybridge Celtic, Oldham A. Charlton

Post #17 of 20 (2192 views)
Shortcut
Re: [mick] Hate without rivalry? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Any team managed by Colin W****r, doubly so now he's teamed up with Master Bates.

Is that two different ways of saying the same thing?Wink

jon b
First Team Star

Mar 12, 2012, 1:20 PM

Team(s): SUFC, SWFC etc

Post #18 of 20 (2022 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To

In Reply To

A lot of people hate Leeds but don't seem to know why. They just seem to be one of those clubs that people love to hate and I think it all goes back to the Don Revie era.

A lot of people also hate Jimmy Hill. Not me though.

Oh I also hate any club that Peter Ridsdale is involved with.

The Don Revie era Leeds were easy to hate.

Oddly enough, when Wilkinson took LUFC to the top Division title at I found it didn't bother me at all.

As for hating "any club Peter Ridsdale is involved with"....... I think the emotion I'd feel wouldn't be hate so much as pity. Just as long as he doesn't get his sticky little mitts on any club I follow.

forestman
Youth Team Star

Mar 14, 2012, 7:40 AM

Post #19 of 20 (1963 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jon b] Hate without rivalry? [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

For me its Aylesbury United ( not to be confused with Aylesbury FC currently in the Southern league). Several years ago played a game there in the Ryman League as one of our players (who had suffered a broken leg) was being carried past their "supporters" on a stretcher he had the pleasure of being spat on by the so-called football fans. One of the most unpleasant images i have ever seen in non-league football. The club has since dropped down into the spartan south midlands league and i, for one, hope they drop even further.

garethwrexy

Mar 14, 2012, 11:19 AM

Team(s): wrexham and dulwich

Post #20 of 20 (1944 views)
Shortcut

fleetwood town, there and are fans are involved in keyboard battles most weeks on the likes of tweet and other football forums, saything we not good enough to go up !

wrexham fc fa trophy winners 2013 !

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3