DonQuixote
Chelsea Transfer Target

Feb 23, 2012, 5:28 PM

Team(s): Romford, Everton, @BrentwoodSunLge

Post #1 of 10 (1227 views)
Shortcut
The biggest dive.... Can't Post or Reply Privately

...as in crap pub you have been in.

During my nomadic seasons, I decided to go to Tilbury v Hailsham for an FA Cup tie
circa 1990 and having gone by train, found myself in the boozer opposite Tilbury Town
station.
It was one of those places that was beyond description and you had to go there to
get a feel of how bad the place really was. Not long after it got a mention in the Telegraph
as being the worst pub in the UK, so lo and behold it got a visit from various east London
n'er do wells and was closed within months.

The nearest boozer to Barking's ground - the Roundhouse - is a perfect haunt for any
Star Wars' fan and the Boelyn at West Ham as always made my teeth itch as did the
drinker outside Pitsea station. Shocked

FA Vase semi programme wanted: 2001 Taunton v Clitheroe.

garethwrexy
Man City Transfer Target!

Feb 23, 2012, 6:12 PM

Team(s): wrexham and dulwich

Post #2 of 10 (1221 views)
Shortcut
Re: [DonQuixote] The biggest dive.... [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

i dont mind rough pubs to much but the long pull in wrexham is the pits !

wrexham fc fa trophy winners 2013 !

jimmyjazz
Chelsea Transfer Target

Feb 23, 2012, 8:14 PM

Team(s):

Post #3 of 10 (1201 views)
Shortcut
Re: [DonQuixote] The biggest dive.... [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

The worst without question is the Flying Scotsman, Kings X. Just no need for that, and clearly it's not really a pub.

Northampton's King William IV is a recommended biker's pub, I like it but it's very much an acquired taste. It is a dump inside though.

Otherwise rough & ready football pubs like The British Queen, Tottenham & the one outside Gravesend's ground.

VP

Feb 23, 2012, 9:12 PM

Post #4 of 10 (1187 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jimmyjazz] The biggest dive.... [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
The worst without question is the Flying Scotsman, Kings X. Just no need for that, and clearly it's not really a pub.

I was gonna mention a 'pub' I was dragged into once at the back of Kings Cross. I can't remember its name so I don't know if it's the same one. Had some strippers doing their bit. Minimum donation per strip 1. A mate I was dragged in with who also didn't want to be there and wasn't watching the stripping thought he was being polite by sticking 50p in the pot and got a mouthful (!). People lurking by doorways looking mean and toilets to die for. Classy place!

(This post was edited by VP on Feb 23, 2012, 9:18 PM)

DonQuixote
Chelsea Transfer Target

Feb 23, 2012, 9:21 PM

Post #5 of 10 (1180 views)
Shortcut
Re: [VP] The biggest dive.... [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

You could get a nasty little rash for only a jacks.

UKPunk

Feb 24, 2012, 12:14 AM

Post #6 of 10 (1153 views)
Shortcut
Re: [VP] The biggest dive.... [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

In Reply To
Had some strippers doing their bit. Minimum donation per strip 1. A mate I was dragged in with who also didn't want to be there and wasn't watching the stripping thought he was being polite by sticking 50p in the pot and got a mouthful (!). People lurking by doorways looking mean and toilets to die for. Classy place!

Should have given her a mouthful back. Tongue

1-0-1-0-4-25-40-65-181-289=606

Last game: Mon 20/8/18
4. Basford United 1 Hednesford Town 2

Fleetfan
Reserve Team Star

Feb 24, 2012, 10:45 AM

Post #7 of 10 (1118 views)
Shortcut
Re: [jimmyjazz] The biggest dive.... [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

Otherwise rough & ready football pubs like The British Queen, Tottenham & the one outside Gravesend's ground.

The Plough, which has recently been converted to a cafe.Remember it being trashed by Colchester Utd fans in a good old fashioned bar room brawl after the Fleet had beaten them in the FA Cup 1st Round in 1995.This actually
improved the 'ambience' of the place afterwards!
The publican at the time owned three bassett hounds & used to regularly enter the ground at half time when the Fleet were at home to give them a walk around the terraces.

Visited the pub outside Atherstone's ground ,supposedly in a middle of a refurbishment.Bare walls,hardboard for flooring, it was just a complete building site & only had two working handpumps.No idea why it was open in this condition if it was being 'refurbished'.

Matches Attended 2019 -20 : 13
New Grounds 2019-20: 12

(This post was edited by Fleetfan on Feb 24, 2012, 1:33 PM)

DonQuixote
Chelsea Transfer Target

Feb 24, 2012, 10:53 AM

Post #8 of 10 (1112 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Fleetfan] The biggest dive.... [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

There was a boozer outside Stafford's ground that made you feel one visit was enough.
The Albion or something like that.

Another shocker is in Upton Lane near Clapton's ground. After the sad loss of the
Spotted Dog next door, mainly due to the locals' aversion to alchohol, the next
closest is the Hudson Bay, whose clientele make the Cuckoo's Nest crew look sane.
Been at least one murder in there and certainly not for a first date or the faint hearted.

(This post was edited by DonQuixote on Feb 24, 2012, 11:11 AM)

garethwrexy

Feb 24, 2012, 11:03 AM

Team(s): wrexham and dulwich

Post #9 of 10 (1106 views)
Shortcut

another dive i have been to the starlight bar at streatham ice hockey rink, just hole in the wall selling cans of fosters

wrexham fc fa trophy winners 2013 !

Billybadknees
Reserve Team Sub

Feb 24, 2012, 1:39 PM

Team(s): Sheffield FC, Sheffield Wednesday, Staveley MWFC

Post #10 of 10 (1066 views)
Shortcut
Re: [garethwrexy] The biggest dive.... [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

It's shut now but the Earl de Grey in Hull took some beating. Hookers regularly entering the bar grabbing handfuls of condoms then leaving again. The one female in our party went to the loo with her foot firmly wedged against the door.

Sig-lite!

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3