Non League Matters - The Continuation of Tonys english Football Site 

Main Index MAIN
INDEX
Search Posts SEARCH
IN

THIS FORUM IS NOW READ ONLY - PLEASE HEAD OVER TO THE NEW FORUM HERE (CLICK LINK) TO REGISTER A NEW ACCOUNT - THANKS

Home: Archive: Other FA Competitions:
FA Sunday Cup Semi Final Draw

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

Yorks Amateur
First Team Sub

Feb 20, 2012, 12:22 PM

Team(s): Bradford City

Post #1 of 82 (13094 views)
Shortcut
FA Sunday Cup Semi Final Draw Can't Post or Reply Privately

Ties to be played on 18th March:

Hetton Lyons v FC Tripmeni
Lakeside Athletic v Canada

FC Tripimeni's reward for knocking out the holders is an away tie to face the 3 time winners Hetton Lyons!! That's the game I hope to be at. From memory, Hetton played a previous semi final at Durham City, so the FA may choose the same venue for this season (I hope they do, as it would be a new ground for me Cool).

The 'neutral' venues will be announced by the FA shortly.

(This post was edited by Yorks Amateur on Feb 20, 2012, 12:52 PM)

Isaac
Man City Transfer Target!

Feb 20, 2012, 5:49 PM

Team(s): ABMU

Post #2 of 82 (13059 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Yorks Amateur] FA Sunday Cup Semi Final Draw [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I was hoping Tripimeni would get a home draw, I have done a semi for the last two years but might have my work cut out this time.

If the final was Tripimeni v Lakeside would a change of venue be considered?

Yorks Amateur
First Team Sub

Feb 20, 2012, 6:17 PM

Post #3 of 82 (13053 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Isaac] FA Sunday Cup Semi Final Draw [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
I was hoping Tripimeni would get a home draw, I have done a semi for the last two years but might have my work cut out this time.

If the final was Tripimeni v Lakeside would a change of venue be considered?
I doubt it. The 2008 final was an all Durham affair between Hetton Lyons and Coundon Con Club and they still played the final at Anfield, as originally planned.

I suppose the FA could have changed the venue if two Durham sides were due to play at White Hart Lane but if they have already approached a Premiership/Football League side to host the final (and a date had been agreed) I doubt that this would change, unless the ground in question subsequently became unavailable.

stevegraze
Reserve Team Regular

Feb 20, 2012, 7:28 PM

Post #4 of 82 (13039 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Yorks Amateur] FA Sunday Cup Semi Final Draw [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

That is a VERY unkind draw for Tripimeni. After knocking out the holders in what was a huge upset, they now have to play the previous season's winners and FA Sunday Cup giants ....AWAY!
I think the Tripimeni story in this season's competition is about to end...

PTG
Junior Team Sub

Feb 20, 2012, 8:56 PM

Post #5 of 82 (13022 views)
Shortcut
Re: [stevegraze] FA Sunday Cup Semi Final Draw [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
That is a VERY unkind draw for Tripimeni. After knocking out the holders in what was a huge upset, they now have to play the previous season's winners and FA Sunday Cup giants ....AWAY!

Not many fancied FC Tripimeni to get passed the last round but they did.

The Semi-Final draw could have been kinder but an 'away' fixture against Hetton Lyons Cricket Club is as tough as it gets.

Expect FC Tripimeni to strengthen their squad before that game.

AndrewG
First Team Star

Feb 20, 2012, 9:37 PM

Team(s):

Post #6 of 82 (13009 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
Ties to be played on 18th March:

Hetton Lyons v FC Tripmeni
Lakeside Athletic v Canada

FC Tripimeni's reward for knocking out the holders is an away tie to face the 3 time winners Hetton Lyons!! That's the game I hope to be at. From memory, Hetton played a previous semi final at Durham City, so the FA may choose the same venue for this season (I hope they do, as it would be a new ground for me Cool).

The 'neutral' venues will be announced by the FA shortly.

2006 semi-final Ian, the last time a north-east based club had a home draw at this stage. Not sure that it was a 3G pitch back then though, and I would be surprised if the FA select Durham now on that basis.

Incidentally, it is implied elsewhere in this thread that the final will be at Anfield. Has that been confirmed? Don't forget last season's final was not played there.

Yorks Amateur
First Team Sub

Feb 20, 2012, 9:54 PM

Post #7 of 82 (13001 views)
Shortcut
Re: [AndrewG] FA Sunday Cup Semi Final Draw [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Hi Andy. I've not heard where the final will be played yet. I hope it's at another prestigious ground, like Anfield, although given the size of the crowd that the final normally attracts, perhaps a smaller venue would generate more of an atmosphere?

I was hoping for an Oyster v Hetton final but fair play to Tripimeni for knocking the holders out. I hope to watch them in the semi final 'somewhere in the North East!'. If I watch the semi final and final, then I will have seen 100 games in the FA Sunday Cup Smile

Isaac

Feb 21, 2012, 10:07 AM

Post #8 of 82 (12973 views)
Shortcut
Re: [PTG] FA Sunday Cup Semi Final Draw [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

In Reply To

Not many fancied FC Tripimeni to get passed the last round but they did.

The Semi-Final draw could have been kinder but an 'away' fixture against Hetton Lyons Cricket Club is as tough as it gets.

Expect FC Tripimeni to strengthen their squad before that game.

Whilst Hetton Lyons will surely be favourites I certainly wouldn't put it beyond Tripimeni to make the final, I saw Hetton overcome Hazelhurst in a semi final two years ago and it was a fairly close 2-1 win.

stevegraze
Reserve Team Regular

Feb 21, 2012, 10:45 AM

Post #9 of 82 (12968 views)
Shortcut
Re: [PTG] FA Sunday Cup Semi Final Draw [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Hi PTG. You make a good point. Tripimeni already caused a huge upset by knocking out the holders. I was just thinking that it will be even more difficult AWAY to Hetton Lyons (who I tipped from the start to win this cup). The travel, and playing in unfamiliar territory will make it an even harder game for Tripimeni. However, I hope Tripimeni have their key defender Terry Paul back for the Hetton game. They did very well without him against Oyster, but he will significantly strengthen them at the back if he returns to play against Hetton.

Isaac - yes, I thought the ref was very strong in the Tripimeni v Oyster game. He did not tolerate any nonsense from the Oyster players. I wonder if he knew the striker he sent off was Wayne Rooney's cousin?! Wink When your team is losing 0-1 in a crucial cup QF away from home, swearing at the ref, and getting sent off is not the smartest thing to do. WHY do good teams always have hot-heads in their team who lose it when things don't go their way?

(This post was edited by stevegraze on Feb 21, 2012, 12:32 PM)

PTG
Junior Team Sub

Feb 21, 2012, 10:52 AM

Post #10 of 82 (12967 views)
Shortcut
Re: [stevegraze] FA Sunday Cup Semi Final Draw [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Hi PTG. You make a good point. Tripimeni already caused a huge upset by knocking out the holders. I was just thinking that it will be even more difficult AWAY to Hetton Lyons (who I tipped from the start to win this cup). The travel, and playing in unfamiliar territory will make it an even harder game for Tripimeni. However, I hope Tripimeni have their key defender Paul Terry back for the Hetton game. They did very well without him against Oyster, but he will significantly strengthen them at the back if he returns to play against Hetton.

Isaac - yes, I thought the ref was very strong in the Tripimeni v Oyster game. He did not tolerate any nonsense from the Oyster players. I wonder if he knew the striker he sent off was Wayne Rooney's cousin?! Wink When your team is losing 0-1 in a crucial cup QF away from home, swearing at the ref, and getting sent off is not the smartest thing to do. WHY do good teams always have hot-heads in their team who lose it when things don't go their way?

It's the hardest draw that FC Tripimeni could have expected and I would certainly make Hetton Lyons favorites but my thinking behind the Oyster Martrys match was with home advantage FC Tripimeni would have the edge.

You are correct about the match officials in this Competition.(I've done a few dames myself!) They wont tolerate any nonsense. I always say to the manager to remind his players not to dispute any decisions by the Referee.

LocalBusDriver
Youth Team Sub

Feb 23, 2012, 7:46 PM

Team(s): Spurs and Cheshunt

Post #11 of 82 (12883 views)
Shortcut

Noticed on FA website today that the Hetton lyons v Tripimeni match is pending an fa investigation. Does anyone know what for?

John Treleven
Qatar World Cup bid member!

Feb 23, 2012, 10:57 PM

Team(s):

Post #12 of 82 (12865 views)
Shortcut
Re: [LocalBusDriver] FA Sunday Cup Semi Final Draw [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

That usually indicates an investigation in to a player's eligibility, presumably in the Hetton or Tripimeni Q-F sides or there would be no need

(This post was edited by John Treleven on Feb 23, 2012, 10:58 PM)

Yorks Amateur
First Team Sub

Feb 24, 2012, 7:26 AM

Post #13 of 82 (12842 views)
Shortcut
Re: [LocalBusDriver] FA Sunday Cup Semi Final Draw [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Noticed on FA website today that the Hetton lyons v Tripimeni match is pending an fa investigation. Does anyone know what for?
I don't know the reason behind the investigation but I would agree with John's view, that it could be regarding player eligibility.

I'm sure I've read on this forum that Tripimeni have brought in players for injury cover. Perhaps one of those was (unknown to them) a contract player, or ineligible in some other way?

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that Tripimeni are at fault but I do remember reading the comment and thinking that they need to be careful on who they draft in, as many a side has been expelled from this competition over the years, for doing something similar.

stevegraze
Reserve Team Regular

Feb 24, 2012, 10:52 AM

Post #14 of 82 (12828 views)
Shortcut

Oh dear. I really hope it is not Tripimeni under investigation. I know they have several Ryman League and Spartan South Midlands League (steps 4-6) players in their squad, but presume they would know which of them are contract players.

That may not be the issue though. I have mentioned on the “Best Non-Pyramid League in London” thread that some of Tripimeni’s players are also registered to play for two other high quality London Sunday league teams: Lapton FC (of the Hackney and Leyton League) and Phoenix FC (of the Camden Sunday League).

Coincidentally, Phoenix and Lapton are playing each other this Sunday in the semi-final of the London FA Sunday Intermediate Cup. If some of the Tripimeni players are selected, it will be quite an occasion as some of them may play AGAINST each other! However, I presume the Tripimeni players will be cup tied/ineligible for the Phoenix v Lapton fixture?

To compound matters, Tripimeni themselves have another massive county cup game this weekend in the LFA Sunday Challenge Cup against last year’s finalists Pearscroft United. Who are the ‘multi-registration’ players going to play for? The teams they are registered for (Tripimeni, Lapton, Phoenix) have massive county cup ties on the same day!

I noticed that one of Tripimeni’s defenders who plays for Lapton has not been playing in Lapton’s London county cup matches (perhaps to avoid getting himself cup tied?) but has played in some of Lapton’s league fixtures.

Yorks Amateur
First Team Sub

Feb 24, 2012, 12:34 PM

Post #15 of 82 (12816 views)
Shortcut

The situation you describe regarding 'multi registered' players sounds like a real mess to me.

It's been covered on here before, but an awful lot of players just turn up and play for their team, without having much idea about who they are playing against or the competition they are playing in!

I used to be involved with Campion of the West Riding County Amateur league and know numerous examples of players who don't know who they were playing against or what competition they were playing in, from one week to the next! They simply turned up when and where they were told to.

In fact, a former Campion goalkeeper used to play for Whetley Lane and he played for them in a West Riding County Sunday Cup game. Unfortunately, he'd also played for another team in the same cup in a previous round! When this came to light, Whetley Lane were removed from the competition. When asked about the earlier cup tie, which involved a team from Bingley playing Thorpe Audlin (which is the far side of West Yorkshire, past Pontefract, I believe) the player thought it was a Wharfedale Sunday League game!!!!! Back then, the longest away game you faced in that league was about 10 miles away! Bingley to Thorpe Audlin is roughly 3 times that distance.

God only knows how these 'multi registered' players are coping with all this. I bet most don't have a clue! Even if this is not the reason behind the FA investigation, some one is surely going to fall foul of this?

stevegraze
Reserve Team Regular

Feb 24, 2012, 4:12 PM

Post #16 of 82 (12797 views)
Shortcut

Yorks Amateur, you make great points. This must be an utter nightmare for the managers and officials of the clubs involved.

The problem is compounded by the fact that many players of top Sunday sides are basically ‘hired guns’. Many play semi-pro on Saturdays at steps 4-5, then are courted by several successful Sunday sides. This is how you end up with players being registered for different clubs. e.g. in one week a Tripimeni player might have footballing obligations for his pyramid team on a Saturday, play for his Sunday teams, AND also for his midweek team in the Islington Midweek League! (several Tripimeni players also play for the highly successful Islington Admiral team that dominate the IML).

How can any player possibly be expected to keep tabs on the dizzying number of games and competitions involved? (FA Trophy, Vase, FA Sunday Cup, London FA Intermediate and Challenge Cups, league cups etc) It is no wonder that teams inadvertently field ineligible players.

We also discussed on another thread that Tripimeni’s league rivals New Salamis had a player who plays at step 3, played for New Salamis in this year’s FA Sunday Cup AND is registered to play for another Sunday team in a different league! I have also mentioned before that I saw a step 2 player score on TV in the FA Cup proper, then some time later watched him playing for his Sunday team in a London Sunday Challenge Cup fixture!

HughesVideo
Reserve Team Sub

Feb 24, 2012, 4:17 PM

Team(s): Edmonton Rovers (Sunday League) ...and whoever I film for !

Post #17 of 82 (12796 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
The situation you describe regarding 'multi registered' players sounds like a real mess to me.

Indeed it is…and Sunday League football has always had this problem because a) Players are not on contract and b) The F.A. do not have an online database of Sunday League players that a club can refer to when they are signing a new player.

The League my own team (Edmonton Rovers) play in has a rule whereby all teams who are signing up a new player must (‘somehow’ !) check that player’s background in terms of whether he is a contract player or not, previous clubs played for, possible sine-die suspensions, money owed to previous clubs, and other clubs currently registered for both on Saturdays and Sundays.

As Stevegraze has said, it is quite common for players to register for different Sunday clubs in different Leagues at the same time (as Tripimeni, Lapton & Phoenix’s players are doing), thereby risking expulsion for their club from County or National Sunday Cup competitions when those teams are all playing in the same competition. Some players do it so that they can get a game every Sunday when teams are without a fixture, others do it so that they have a choice of seeing which one is the most likely to win a trophy, and others do it purely because their mates from Saturday football (or socially) all play for different teams.

Of course players are not allowed to play for two different clubs in the same League, but there are some who will try to do so and slip through the net by registering under a false name, address and date of birth. Quite often they don’t get spotted even though they have given the League the same passport photo for both registrations !

Yorks Amateur is spot on regarding players not knowing who they are playing against or whether it is a Cup match or not. My players have been doing that for years, despite us having a club website which is always up-to-date !

Also, there will be a heck of a lot of Sunday League players playing this coming Sunday in matches up and down the country playing as a ringer or who will be totally unaware that they are supposed to be suspended. They will genuinely not realise that Sunday League football has certain regulations to stop that happening and they will also not inform their Club Secretaries/Managers that they are registered with other clubs as well…because they don’t realise they need to.

It doesn’t help that a lot of Sunday League Club Secretaries do not want to do the job and therefore allow their Managers to ‘play anybody’, but even if they are a good Club Secretary, how can they realistically be expected to contact every League or County F.A. to find out whether a new player they are signing up is banned/eligible or not ? It’s impossible unless the player ‘comes clean’ himself….and invariably they don’t.

http://www.hughesvideoservices.co.uk
http://www.edmontonrovers.co.uk
http://www.youtube.com/user/hughesvideo

(This post was edited by HughesVideo on Feb 24, 2012, 4:20 PM)

Richard Rundle

Feb 25, 2012, 10:32 AM

Post #18 of 82 (12736 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To

How can any player possibly be expected to keep tabs on the dizzying number of games and competitions involved? (FA Trophy, Vase, FA Sunday Cup, London FA Intermediate and Challenge Cups, league cups etc) It is no wonder that teams inadvertently field ineligible players.

If a player can't keep up with what competitions he is playing in, then the solution is simple. One player one club.

stevegraze
Reserve Team Regular

Feb 27, 2012, 12:32 PM

Post #19 of 82 (12584 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Richard Rundle] FA Sunday Cup Semi Final Draw [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

The “multi-registration” player palaver was on display this weekend as players registered to Tripimeni played for THREE different clubs this weekend. ShockedSome Tripimeni players played for…Tripimeni! (in the LFA Sunday Challenge Cup quarter-final where they lost 2-3 to last year’s beaten finalists Pearscroft United)

Then in the LFA Sunday Intermediate Cup semi-final between Phoenix and Lapton, at least four players registered to Tripimeni played for BOTH teams! A center half who has played for Tripimeni in this year’s FA Sunday Cup played for Lapton, and was forced to go in goal for over an hour, after Lapton’s GK needlessly got himself sent off for dissent. Phoenix's left back, right winger and striker are also listed in Tripimeni's squad.

Strange site seeing Tripimeni’s squad turn out into two different county cup ties, and for three different clubs – on the same day!

Yorks Amateur
First Team Sub

Feb 28, 2012, 12:40 PM

Post #20 of 82 (12481 views)
Shortcut

The FA have now confirmed the semi final venues, which are as follows:

Hetton Lyons v FC Tripimeni - to be played at Billingham Synthonia

Lakeside Athletic v Canada - to be played at Saltash United

Both ties will take place on 18th March at 2.00pm.

The FA have also confirmed that FC Tripimeni are under investigation for fielding an ineligible player.

stevegraze
Reserve Team Regular

Feb 28, 2012, 7:38 PM

Post #21 of 82 (12447 views)
Shortcut

The FA have also confirmed that FC Tripimeni are under investigation for fielding an ineligible player.

Oh dear. I was really hoping it was not Tripimeni. Perhaps not surprising given that players listed in their squad were playing for three different teams this past weekend! I really hope it is just a mix-up and Tripimeni do not get thrown out one game away from the final. It would be soul destroying to exit the competition OFF the pitch after that great win against Oyster Martyrs.

Yorks Amateur
First Team Sub

Feb 28, 2012, 8:30 PM

Post #22 of 82 (12439 views)
Shortcut

They won't have too long to wait, as I understand that a decision will be made by the weekend.

Isaac

Feb 28, 2012, 9:12 PM

Post #23 of 82 (12432 views)
Shortcut

I agree Steve, I was at that game and I'd hate to think it was all for nothing and Oyster Martyrs get reinstated after such a indisciplined performance

Spencer Cox
Ballboy/girl

Mar 2, 2012, 3:30 PM

Post #24 of 82 (12303 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Isaac] FA Sunday Cup Semi Final Draw [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Oyster have been re-instated and a very heavy fine and ban handed out to Tripimeni.Also not allowed to re-enter for 5 years !!!

http://www.thefa.com/Competitions/FACompetitions/TheFASundayCup/NewsAndFeatures/2012/tripimeni-decision-020312.aspx

Isaac

Mar 2, 2012, 4:23 PM

Post #25 of 82 (12293 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Spencer Cox] FA Sunday Cup Semi Final Draw [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

If Tripimeni are guilty then they deserve all they've got, makes a mockery of the competition.

I'd say Hetton were still firm favourites to reach the final.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3