S.P.A.M.

DonQuixote
Chelsea Transfer Target

Jan 18, 2012, 1:26 PM

Team(s): Romford, Everton, @BrentwoodSunLge

Post #1 of 14 (1473 views)
Shortcut
S.P.A.M. Can't Post or Reply Privately

It is illegal to spam via email (apparently) but how does one go about blocking said calls on the phone?
Mr Patel from British Market research seems impervious to my regular abuse, despite telling him
that I was busy getting a blow job from the wife on one occasion but strangely enough, he did
appear genuinely shocked the other day, when I responded to his usual opening 'are you having
a nice day sir?' gambit, that I had just lost a leg in a farming accident.
On second thoughts, I could have some long-term fun with this....

FA Vase semi programme wanted: 2001 Taunton v Clitheroe.

FA Trophy programmes wanted: 1969-70 Any round from first season. Have many but plenty of gaps still to fill.

buncranaboy
Qatar World Cup bid member!

Jan 18, 2012, 1:41 PM

Team(s): Barnstoneworth United; Bostock Stanley

Post #2 of 14 (1469 views)
Shortcut
Re: [DonQuixote] S.P.A.M. [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Are you Bob Servant in disguise ?

Tim
Man City Transfer Target!

Jan 18, 2012, 2:07 PM

Team(s): Stourbridge, Welton Rovers

Post #3 of 14 (1463 views)
Shortcut
Re: [DonQuixote] S.P.A.M. [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Try this:

http://www.mpsonline.org.uk/tps/index.html

It's not perfect but will reduce the annoyance by about 95%.

DonQuixote
Chelsea Transfer Target

Jan 18, 2012, 2:20 PM

Post #4 of 14 (1459 views)
Shortcut
Re: [buncranaboy] S.P.A.M. [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I must get out more..I'd never heard of the guy until a few minutes ago...
Tried to Wiki him but Jimmy Wales and his helpers are throwing a strop
today against the new US piracy laws.

FA Trophy programmes wanted: 1969-70 Any round from first season. Have many but plenty of gaps still to fill.

UKPunk

Jan 18, 2012, 2:56 PM

Post #5 of 14 (1455 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Tim] S.P.A.M. [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Try this:

Someone I know has tried that Tim. He said a lot of companies ignore it, especially the overseas ones who are not subject to our laws (subject in the sense that you've got no chance of ever prosecuting them).

As far as computer spam in concerned, I've often thought the best way to make MP's do something about it is to get everyone in the country to forward their spam to their local MP. After a few days of clogged computers they might actually tear themselves away from finding ways to fiddle their expenses and tackle the problem.

1-0-1-0-4-25-40-65-181-289=606

Last game: Mon 20/8/18
4. Basford United 1 Hednesford Town 2

Mishi

Jan 18, 2012, 3:06 PM

Team(s): Dulwich Hamlet

Post #6 of 14 (1451 views)
Shortcut
Re: [UKPunk] S.P.A.M. [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Excellent idea, Punkie. One I shall be doing!

Grounds visited: 735
Last new ground: Biggleswade Town FC; Langford Road, Biggleswade, Bedfordshire. (Evo-Stik League South Premier Division Central)
Last game: Sunday 27th January 2019: Crystal Palace 0, Durham 2. [FA Women's Super League 2]
Matches watched this season: 115
2017/18-New English grounds: 12; & foreign: 2

UKPunk

Jan 18, 2012, 3:16 PM

Post #7 of 14 (1443 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Mishi] S.P.A.M. [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

It might be a good idea Mishi but I suspect you'd get nicked for messing with government computers or something. The only way it would work is if a substantial proportion of internet users in the UK were involved. There's no way they'd be able to bang up millions of people and they'd have to look at the problem and do something about it.

1-0-1-0-4-25-40-65-181-289=606

Last game: Mon 20/8/18
4. Basford United 1 Hednesford Town 2

acmold

Jan 19, 2012, 10:28 AM

Post #8 of 14 (1401 views)
Shortcut
Re: [UKPunk] S.P.A.M. [In reply to] Can't Post or

In Reply To

In Reply To
Try this:

Someone I know has tried that Tim. He said a lot of companies ignore it, especially the overseas ones who are not subject to our laws (subject in the sense that you've got no chance of ever prosecuting them).

Been registered for over 10 years, they are not very good. I keep getting cold calls and all they say is I should do a 1471 and get the telephone number, all 1471 gives me is number withheld, they say they can't do anything about number withheld. If you tell the cold caller you are registered they either give you abuse or tell you it does not apply to them.

Loiner
First Team Star

Jan 19, 2012, 7:33 PM

Team(s): None. A supporter of grassroots football

Post #9 of 14 (1356 views)
Shortcut
Re: [acmold] S.P.A.M. [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

In Reply To

In Reply To
Try this:

Been registered for over 10 years, they are not very good. I keep getting cold calls and all they say is I should do a 1471 and get the telephone number, all 1471 gives me is number withheld, they say they can't do anything about number withheld. If you tell the cold caller you are registered they either give you abuse or tell you it does not apply to them.

I've been registered for a number of years (actually followed the above link and it said that my number is still registered). More cold calls have been received since I switched to Virgin (with same number) 5/6 years ago.
I tend to say I'm too busy, just going out or if i'm bored string them along for a while then say not interested.
If you have caller display then don't take a call from a withheld number or a number you are not familiar with.

(This post was edited by Loiner on Jan 19, 2012, 7:37 PM)

acmold

Jan 20, 2012, 11:30 AM

Post #10 of 14 (1318 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Loiner] S.P.A.M. [In reply to] Can't Post or

In Reply To

In Reply To

In Reply To

In Reply To
Try this:

I've been registered for a number of years (actually followed the above link and it said that my number is still registered). More cold calls have been received since I switched to Virgin (with same number) 5/6 years ago.
I tend to say I'm too busy, just going out or if i'm bored string them along for a while then say not interested.
If you have caller display then don't take a call from a withheld number or a number you are not familiar with.

When I first registered I was with NTL who became Virgin, seem to recall there was a problem between cable companies and TPS.

Now with BT but still get cold calls, I either tell them to "go away" or I start asking questions they can't answer and then ask them if they are reading from a script, that usually gets rid of them.

pitch 63
First Team Star

Jan 20, 2012, 11:57 AM

Post #11 of 14 (1313 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To

In Reply To

In Reply To

In Reply To

In Reply To
Try this:

When I first registered I was with NTL who became Virgin, seem to recall there was a problem between cable companies and TPS.

Now with BT but still get cold calls, I either tell them to "go away" or I start asking questions they can't answer and then ask them if they are reading from a script, that usually gets rid of them.

I registered with the TPS some years ago. I still get cold calls but I thank the caller for contacting me and state that my telephone line is registered with the TPS and that I am reporting them. The speed with which the call is terminated is quite remarkable.

Mr. T
Chelsea Transfer Target

Jan 20, 2012, 11:58 AM

Post #12 of 14 (1313 views)
Shortcut

Having picked up a call, it's usually quite easy to determine whether it's a cold call. Those two or three seconds in which there is either silence or the sound of chatter in the background an apparently vast, echoing office is a giveaway. Just put down the phone and spare yourself the mental effort.

blackdouglas
Chelsea Transfer Target

Jan 20, 2012, 12:22 PM

Team(s): See signature for clubs

Post #13 of 14 (1310 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Mr. T] S.P.A.M. [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Having picked up a call, it's usually quite easy to determine whether it's a cold call. Those two or three seconds in which there is either silence or the sound of chatter in the background an apparently vast, echoing office is a giveaway. Just put down the phone and spare yourself the mental effort.

But it's no fun that wayCoolCoolCool

Northwood, Threave Rovers, Arsenal, Rangers (the real ones, NOT qpr),Watford, Rochdale, queen of the south and a few others.

DonQuixote
Chelsea Transfer Target

Jan 20, 2012, 1:53 PM

Post #14 of 14 (1295 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Mr. T] S.P.A.M. [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

@Having picked up a call, it's usually quite easy to determine whether it's a cold call.

because Jana Gana Mana is blasting out in the back ground

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3