Reserve Team Sub

Jan 14, 2012, 3:54 PM

Team(s): Bradford P.A

Post #1 of 144 (8248 views)
Shortcut
Saturday 14th January Can't Post or Reply Privately

Shoemakers Athletic 3 v Kirkland 2.
Leicester & District League Div.2.

Match played on Pitch 2 on Cort Crescent in Braunstone. You may have seen a game on Pitch 1 here if you saw Braunstone Vics when they played in the Leicestershire Senior League.
Going out tonight so needed a game close to home. Goals were flying in on the other two pitches but this game was much more even.
All three pitches have a post and rail, but no other facilities. This game was not decided until the final minutes as Shoemakers led 2 - 1 going ito the last 5 minutes.
Kirkland had had the better of the second half and deserved their equaliser on 86 minutes, but the point was snatched away from them in time added on as the home substitute scored with a looping overhead kick. Scores on other pitches were 1 - 7 and 9 - 1 !

Total Grounds- 1355 (10).
Grounds this season- 35.
Latest New ground -Wibbandune Ground, Colliers Wood United.
Rugby Union grounds-7.
Latest-Twickenham.

(This post was edited by Graeme on Jan 15, 2012, 2:50 PM)

noprogs
First Team Star

Jan 14, 2012, 4:12 PM

Team(s):

Post #2 of 144 (8243 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Graeme] Saturday 14th January [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Old Modernians 2 Kippax 1
West Yorkshire League Cup, third round

A good competitive cup tie saw me complete this league again, with the home side from the bottom division beating opponents from one level higher.
The pitch is fully railed, probably new following their elevation to this league this season, and was perfectly playable with just a bit of frost down one side.
The home side led just before the break but parity was restored early in the second half. The match was probably decided when the away team had a player sent off for striking an opponent, and Mods led soon afterwards when their centre forward, to both my and Loiner's eyes, controlled the ball with his hand as he rounded the keeper. It also looked as if the keeper had also handled the ball outside the area, putting the ball into the strikers' path, so a bit of a case of two wrongs not making a right.
The extra man enabled the home side to ease home in what was an enjoyable game.

prorege
Man City Transfer Target!

Jan 14, 2012, 4:16 PM

Team(s): Fife teams

Post #3 of 144 (8242 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Graeme] Saturday 14th January [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

East Junior Premier League
Ballingry Rovers v Downfield, 2-0, H.T. 0-0, Att c.50, Admission £5, Programme £1
at Ore Park, Glencraig

Decided to stay local today with a surfeit of decent matches on the card to pick from. My original plan was to watch the first half at Ballingry and the second half at either Lochore or Lochgelly, both within a mile of Glencraig, but I was enjoying the match at Ore Park too much to leave.

The crowd was a little disappointing - the biggest crowd in the area would have been for the Scottish Amateur Cup tie between Benarty and Eaglesham at Dallas Doyle Park in Ballingry.

Ballingry Rovers and Downfield are both at the wrong end of the East Premier League table - level 2 of the East pyramid. Ballingry had improved on early season performances but had an upset last week with a 7-1 defeat at Broxburn. Downfield have found points hard to come by since their promotion as champions of the North Division at the end of last season.

The first half was entertaining but neither team could apply the finishing touch to some decent moves. The breakthrough for Ballingry came just after the hour mark with a controversial penalty. A Ballingry player collided with a defender but neither he nor his teammates appealed for a penalty - but the referee though differently. The penalty was dispatched confidently.

The second goal was a calamitous error by the Downfield goalie. Preparing to punt the ball upfield he rolled it out in front of him - but too far. Two Ballingry players closed it down and nicked the ball away before it was stroked into the unguarded net.

For all Downfield's good football they were lacking any penetration in front of goal. The Spiders fans seemed resigned to a difficult end to the season with goals at a premium. Ballingry's followers were their usual lively selves, viewing proceedings through orange-tinted specs.

Good catering at Ore Park - pies, burgers and home made soup on offer. The club have started doing programmes again after a gap oif a couple of years - it's a reasonable effort for £1.

Shacker
Reserve Team Sub

Jan 14, 2012, 4:31 PM

Team(s): Mainly South West stuff, odd trips North

Post #4 of 144 (8235 views)
Shortcut
Re: [prorege] Saturday 14th January [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

The pathetic North West Counties League

AFC LIVERPOOL v SILSDEN (at Prescot Cables ground)

Late Postponement

I like many others wasted time, money and effort on another NWCL cock-up

The following is taken from the Wheres The Tea Hut site:
The Gross Incompetence of the NWCL That bunch of clowns called the North West Counties League have driven me away from Non League football before. They couldn't run a p*ss-up in a brewery. I suffered so many wasted journeys going to ridiculously postponed games I packed it in. Friends persuaded me to think again and not let this incompetent organisation spoil my enjoyment of watching the game.

This season the NWCL have been back to their old tricks, today Saturday 14th January 2012 they finally did for me.

We had a bad frost last night. I spent all of this morning and early afternoon (up until 12.45pm) looking at websites, carefully keeeping a check on twitter and ringing up various grounds to see which games had survived.

A lot of games in reach were called off but at 11am AFC Liverpool announced that their NWCL game v Silsden HAD PASSED AN INSPECTION AND WAS ON! Bearing in mind how shyte the NWCL are at information I double checked this game would take place and left it right to the last possible moment to travel.

I struggled with M62 traffic and roadworks but eventually arrived at the Prescot Cables ground that AFC Liverpool use at 2.10pm.

I was met by locked turnstiles and the entire Silsden squad (in their smart tracksuits) angrily marching out the ground and boarding their mini-bus. "Whats going on" I fearfully enquired, "They've just decided to call it off" came back the reply from one of the players, he went on to say "two bloody hours to get here and they postpone it at the last minute.... the league told us it was on"!!!

So there you have it. Yet another ridiculously late postponement from those masters of farce The Glorious NWCL. This was a major balls-up even by their daft standards.

I wasted over 120 miles worth of diesel and gave up a gloriously sunny day (it was 6 degrees in Prescot) to let those stupid tw*ts from the North West Counties League f*ck up another of my Saturday afternoons. They really are useless.

They've done it once too often as far as I'm concerned.

LondonBuck
Chelsea Transfer Target

Jan 14, 2012, 4:43 PM

Team(s): AFC Telford United, Witham Town, Folkestone Invicta, Gillingham, Woking

Post #5 of 144 (8225 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Shacker] Saturday 14th January [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Decided not to play the frost lottery, and chose an afternoon watching darts and listening to commentary from the Abbey Stadium FrownFrown

634 GROUNDS - Punjab United (61/92)
580 WETHERSPOONS - Wallasey
2 WETHERSPOONS HOTELS - Ripon

Red Robbo
First Team Star

Jan 14, 2012, 5:21 PM

Team(s): Local football in Herts and Beds

Post #6 of 144 (8208 views)
Shortcut
Re: [LondonBuck] Saturday 14th January [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

The " frost lottery " of a 360 mile return trip to Nantwich proved to be to much of a chance to risk.Unsure

So ended up staying very local today with a 2pm kick off at;

Letchworth Garden City Eagles 3 v 0 Mill End Sports
Herts Senior County League, Premier
Admission; £2, Programme; £1, Tea 70p
Attendance; 30 est

Not a bad game on a sticky pitch. Eagles do not look the side of the past couple of seasons but produced a comfortable result with two second half goals to add to the one before half time. Ground wise there is now a brick covered standing area in front of the main building and planning permission is being pursued to erect floodlights. The post and rail around the ground has been filled in with plastic netting. This gives the ground a much more impressive look for this level. Photographs should be on FGIF early next week.

In Reply To
Decided not to play the frost lottery, and chose an afternoon watching darts and listening to commentary from the Abbey Stadium FrownFrown

I didn't make it to the gym today. That makes five years in a row.

Games seen in 2016/17: 54
Goals : 214
Goal less draws: 0

(This post was edited by Red Robbo on Jan 14, 2012, 5:29 PM)

osborne
First Team Sub

Jan 14, 2012, 5:38 PM

Team(s): Arnold Town/ Loughborough Dynamo

Post #7 of 144 (8192 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Red Robbo] Saturday 14th January [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Barton United 0 Chelmsley Town 3 Challenge Vase 1.30 kick off
Admission zero. Programme None
Tea 50p ( in a small plastic cup)
When buying the tea we were warned it was instant tea! 8 minutes laler we were still waiting!

I fanicied a local match today. I had been warned that Barton had stopped issuing, but I still decided to head to this ground. The ground is very pleasant, next to a pond and in a sports complex. Barton play on the pitch furthest from the changing room complex. The Holland club behind it serves 2 real ales (Bass and Hobgoblin today) The pitch is basic but very scenic. I was surprised this game was on as areas of the pitch were still frozen, but a sensible ref decided that the game should go ahead. THe first half was all Barton, but a goalkeepeing error saw The visitors score first. Another keepin error saw Chalmsley score again on the stroke of half time after the keeper dropped the ball leading to a mad scramble. In his defence I wonder if he was the normal keeper as he had turned up just 15 minutes before kick off. In between Barton's number 9 missed a great chance when through on the keeper and the visiting defender made a great stop as a shot seemed goal bound. The second half was rather dull with the visitors happy to protect their lead and Barton didn't look like scoring. Finally Barton had some luck when the visiting keeper let the ball dribble between his hands into the net, but the linesmans flag was up for off-side. The visitors scored a third goal near the end and it was game over. A pleasant venue to watch football and a decent game.

RRYFS
First Team Sub

Jan 14, 2012, 5:42 PM

Team(s): Leicester City, AFC Bournemouth, Hamworthy United

Post #8 of 144 (8182 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Red Robbo] Saturday 14th January [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Wessex League Premier Division

Hamworthy United 2 Christchurch 0

In: £6
Prog: £1 (Loose today - stapler broke!)
Bovril: £1
Crowd: 117

Apparently Hammers were absolutely awful last week at Hayling - today they were much the better side. In charge for the whole game - one goal in each half. In the first half a good shot after 3 shots were blocked by defenders, and in the second a penalty after a Hammers player was very clumsily pulled down after playing the ball past a defender. I can't understand how Christchurch are 4th in the League - they were never in it today.

OOps - missed something - excellent officials today. Think that's twice I've said that this season (even if one of our subs got his 13th yellow of the season!).

(This post was edited by RRYFS on Jan 14, 2012, 7:31 PM)

Chapeltom
Chelsea Transfer Target

Jan 14, 2012, 5:48 PM

Team(s): Sheffield Wednesday (ENG), Uni Lions (Taiwan baseball)

Post #9 of 144 (8167 views)
Shortcut
Re: [RRYFS] Saturday 14th January [In reply to] Can't Post or

Various late inspections and postponements meant I set off for Huddersfield Town v Oldham Athletic.

The trains had other ideas and after an hour and 15 of waiting for a Huddersfield bound train, I boarded one home instead. Signalling problems to blame near Huddersfield delaying a lot of the TransPennine Express trains. I'll get my refund and move on.

It happens.

Feversham Lens
Chelsea Transfer Target

Jan 14, 2012, 5:53 PM

Team(s): Not any more

Post #10 of 144 (8157 views)
Shortcut
Re: [osborne] Saturday 14th January [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Huddersfield Town 1 Oldham Athletic 0 (HT 0-0)
League One
Free admission (should have been £24)
Programme £3 (78pp)
Attendance 15,299 (1,579 away)
Tea (in a paper cup) £1.80

Thank goodness my days of watching lower division Football League stuff on a regular basis are behind me. This was utter, utter tripe. At least our tickets were a freebie, courtesy of a work colleague. £48 for this garbage? Some people want their heads examining. Oldham came for a goalless draw, and went through the usual tedious tactics of time wasting, feigning injury and generally slowing the game down at every opportunity. Not that high-flying Huddersfield were in any way impressive. Alan Lee's superbly taken goal four minutes from the end, set up by fellow sub Danny Cadamarteri, denied the visitors an undeserved point.

The Galpharm remains that rare beast - a new stadium worth seeing. Despite numerous trips there to watch rugby league, this was only my second football match at the venue. The first must have been about 15 years ago. It'll be another 15 before I venture here again. A first class ground, without doubt; shame Huddersfield Town will only ever have a third rate team to play in it.

I was looking forward to seeing the much vaunted Jordan Rhodes in the flesh, but the Terriers striker was largely anonymous. His only eyecatching contribution was a header that flashed fractionally wide just before half-time. Mind you, that was more than most of the rest on the pitch managed during an instantly forgettable encounter.

(This post was edited by Feversham Lens on Jan 14, 2012, 9:47 PM)

HantsLondoner
First Team Star

Jan 14, 2012, 5:55 PM

Team(s): Hants/Middx/Sussex Non-League, Brentford, THFC, Eastleigh, SC Freiburg

Post #11 of 144 (8155 views)
Shortcut
Re: [osborne] Saturday 14th January [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Southern League Premier

AFC Totton 2 Brackley T. 2
admission 9-00, programme 2-00, attendance 654

2nd v 1st
Totton, parading three new signings, scored after 14 seconds after a long ball through the middle and a lob over the keeper by Charles. For about 15 mins Totton were on top, more aggressive, and had a couple of chances. The visitors came back into it and looked a big, strong side. Totton reverted to playing the long ball for most of this game, having twice shown me this season that they can pass the ball decently too. An important decision came after half an hour when the visitors' no 5, who had already been booked, was pulled up for a handball and threw the ball away, over the touchline. The referee didn't give the obvious second yellow, and the Brackley player was sensibly substituted soon after. Not long after that Brackley's no 11, Walker, cut in from the right and unleashed a powerful left-foot shot that got a slight deflection on the way in. Brackley started the second half well and took the lead after 63 mins when a cross was headed back for Sandy to head in. At this stage an away win looked likely, but Totton came back, after some useful substitutions, and a hard low cross from the left was turned in from one of them, Osman. The visitors dominated the last 15 mins and only a brilliant save and an acrobatic clearance denied them the win. The referee refused Brackley's attempt at a substitution as he was just about to blow the final whistle - which he promptly did. Totton seem to have lost a bit of pre-Christmas momentum and will have to press harder and use the wings more if they want to be up there at the end of the season. Maybe the new signings will help - they have certainly added depth to the squad.

If you're going to/been to a Hampshire Premier League match, I'd really appreciate you filling in a questionnaire - available in the Groundhopping/General section, or just PM me for a copy. Thanks.

(This post was edited by HantsLondoner on Jan 14, 2012, 5:56 PM)

Tim

Jan 14, 2012, 5:55 PM

Team(s): Stourbridge, Welton Rovers

Post #12 of 144 (8149 views)
Shortcut
Re: [RRYFS] Saturday 14th January [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

United Longhope 9 Ruardean United 2 (North Gloucestershire League Division 3) Att: 16

Thanks to roving weather reporter Buncranaboy, I was aware of sub zero temperatures in the Forest, and sure enough, it was like a Christmas card near Ross on Wye. I headed back towards the Severn, found nothing doing at Puma A or Rank Outsiders but all systems go at Longhope Recreation Ground. A quick phone call to summon Ciderjon to the other side of the Forest and we were in business.

Ruardean are far from being the worst side I've seen this season, and indeed we saw them win last Saturday, but they were victims of a total demolition job today. Longhope were simply so much better, and the 5-0 half time score flattered the visitors. Further punishment followed in the second half, but the game was played with very good spirit by both sides: we reckon no more than three or four fouls all afternoon. Splendid ref too.

Longhope Rec is one of the more impressive grounds in the league, with some hard standing, raised viewing and a decent bit of cover from the dressing room overhang. And of course, the obligatory scenic setting. Pity we can't count it - no stanchions, no official groundhopper's notebook to record it in, and worst of all - Garrincha's Dog must have been here recently because we had corner poles but no flags on them.

Great stuff. I'll be looking to see Longhope as the away side before the season's done.

paulh66
Qatar World Cup bid member!

Jan 14, 2012, 5:56 PM

Team(s): Tranmere Rovers, South Liverpool (the South will rise again), Cammell Laird

Post #13 of 144 (8147 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To

Late Postponement

I agree these things are very frustrating - club/local ref passes the pitch in the morning but the matchday ref arrives and has a different opinion. Hardly a situation unique to the NWCL, though, it happens at every level in non-league. Still annoying, but on the other hand if the club did call it off in the morning, people would still complain they should have given it longer given the temperature was (as you say) 6 degrees by mid afternoon! No easy answer...

On a wider point, the NWC league is certainly one of the best run leagues of all at steps 5 and 6, so maybe that level simply isn't for you?

(This post was edited by paulh66 on Jan 14, 2012, 6:00 PM)

Feversham Lens
Chelsea Transfer Target

Jan 14, 2012, 5:58 PM

Team(s): Not any more

Post #14 of 144 (8142 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Chapeltom] Saturday 14th January [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Cable theft to blame for the mess with the trains, Tom. Don't worry, though. You missed nothing.

VP

Jan 14, 2012, 6:17 PM

Post #15 of 144 (8109 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To

Late Postponement

The following is taken from the Wheres The Tea Hut site:
The Gross Incompetence of the NWCL That bunch of clowns called the North West Counties League have driven me away from Non League football before. They couldn't run a p*ss-up in a brewery. I suffered so many wasted journeys going to ridiculously postponed games I packed it in. Friends persuaded me to think again and not let this incompetent organisation spoil my enjoyment of watching the game.

This season the NWCL have been back to their old tricks, today Saturday 14th January 2012 they finally did for me.

We had a bad frost last night. I spent all of this morning and early afternoon (up until 12.45pm) looking at websites, carefully keeeping a check on twitter and ringing up various grounds to see which games had survived.

A lot of games in reach were called off but at 11am AFC Liverpool announced that their NWCL game v Silsden HAD PASSED AN INSPECTION AND WAS ON! Bearing in mind how shyte the NWCL are at information I double checked this game would take place and left it right to the last possible moment to travel.

I struggled with M62 traffic and roadworks but eventually arrived at the Prescot Cables ground that AFC Liverpool use at 2.10pm.

I was met by locked turnstiles and the entire Silsden squad (in their smart tracksuits) angrily marching out the ground and boarding their mini-bus. "Whats going on" I fearfully enquired, "They've just decided to call it off" came back the reply from one of the players, he went on to say "two bloody hours to get here and they postpone it at the last minute.... the league told us it was on"!!!

So there you have it. Yet another ridiculously late postponement from those masters of farce The Glorious NWCL. This was a major balls-up even by their daft standards.

I wasted over 120 miles worth of diesel and gave up a gloriously sunny day (it was 6 degrees in Prescot) to let those stupid tw*ts from the North West Counties League f*ck up another of my Saturday afternoons. They really are useless.

They've done it once too often as far as I'm concerned.

One day people might learn that the match referee is the only person who can say that's a game's definitely on.
It's not the league's fault.

nico
Chelsea Transfer Target

Jan 14, 2012, 6:24 PM

Team(s): SV Schadenfreude

Post #16 of 144 (8098 views)
Shortcut
Re: [noprogs] Saturday 14th January [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Sheffield & Hallamshire County FA Junior Cup ~ Quarter-Final

North Gawber Colliery 1 (6)
South Yorkshire Amateur League, Division One

Jubilee Sports 2 (13,49)
South Yorkshire Amateur League, Premier Division

Venue: Woolley Miners Welfare
Adm./Raffle: £1
Attendance: 90

Couldn't resist this county cup tie since it had all the ingredients required for a classic. The upstarts from Barnsley versus the cup holders from Sheffield, both teams top of their respective divisions, both teams unbeaten all season long, both teams desperate to beat the other, players playing because they want to and not for financial reward, a big crowd (for this level) was likely and it was played at a ground that used to host higher grade (Northern Counties East League) football. As expected it turned out to be a decent game that could have gone either way, Gawber had a couple of efforts ruled out for fouls and Jubilee hit the woodwork twice but I think the visitors did just about enough to deserve the win. All in all a top day out and, for me, what this ground-hopping lark is all about. Angelic

One moment's high and glory rolls on by

rambler77
First Team Star

Jan 14, 2012, 6:28 PM

Team(s): Oadby Town, Leicester City

Post #17 of 144 (8083 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Tim] Saturday 14th January [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

EYE SPORTS 4-0 OAKHAM UNITED
Peterborough League Premier Division

Admission / programme: none
Attendance: mid 20's

Not as one sided as the score suggests. Both sides went into this game on good form and it showed with an open end to end game.

Venus is Lindisfarne Road on the southern edge of the village. The pitch is railed along both sides + permanent dugouts. There is a breeze block building housing changing rooms and club room which they served tea and coffee at half time.

Pre-match was spent in the Blue Boar in the village.

http://rambler77.zenfolio.com/

Kent Man
Youth Team Regular

Jan 14, 2012, 6:30 PM

Post #18 of 144 (8079 views)
Shortcut
Re: [nico] Saturday 14th January [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Ryman League Division One South

Whitstable Town 2 Hythe Town 4

Programme £1.50

sjosta
First Team Regular

Jan 14, 2012, 6:40 PM

Team(s): Groundhopper, ABE

Post #19 of 144 (8061 views)
Shortcut
Re: [prorege] Saturday 14th January [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Benarty and Eaglesham at Dallas Doyle Park in Ballingry. ,

any idea of the score?

Football seen in: Scotland (268 grounds), England (969), Germany (289), Sweden (208), Netherlands (67), Wales (27), Ireland (S&N)(23/4), Austria (9), France (6), Denmark(5), Belgium(3),Italy(2), Luxembourg (2), Spain (2), Liechtenstein, Jersey, Switzerland, Canada
Figures correct(ish) at end of season 14-15 (1898 total)
For all your Fife needs:
Fife Junior History

friendlyvisitor
Youth Team Sub

Jan 14, 2012, 6:42 PM

Post #20 of 144 (8055 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Feversham Lens] Saturday 14th January [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Also fell foul of the frost lottery after stupidly trusting the weather forecast and heading to Formby v Norton, confident that the match would be on.

Fortunately I arrived early enough to to find this one being played a mile and a half from Altcar Road.

Southport and District George Alty Cup

Formby Athletic 2 St Paul's 3,. h/c 14

This was played on a not quite thawed pitch with frosty patches along one goal line, but the decision to go.ahead was vindicated by a thrilling cup tie. Both sides gave it everything but just about stayed on the side of sensibility given the conditions.

The home side played in all black and only his bald head and lack of a number identified the referee. Probably my one and only encounter with the Southport and District League but I was glad enough of it today.

Ostrich
First Team Sub

Jan 14, 2012, 6:59 PM

Post #21 of 144 (8011 views)
Shortcut
Re: [friendlyvisitor] Saturday 14th January [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Southern League Premier
Stourbridge P Hemel Hempstead P

Yup, another "frost lottery" loser. Pirate
Arrival at 14:15 to find an open ground, closed turnstiles, locked bar, and no-one on the premises. Not even DavetheGlassboy. There hadn’t been a hint of this when I set out, but fortuitously I had a couple of Plan Bs.

It would have been helpful if the Glassboys had at least put a sign up indicating that the match was postponed. Nothing elaborate, “T’B*ggers Off” would have been quite sufficient. Still, you can’t argue with the Marie Celeste ….

So then …..

West Midlands Regional League Premier
Black Country Rangers 3 Dudley Sports 2
Admission £4, programme 50p (8pp, history of both clubs, squads, results, league table, couldn’t fault it!)
Refreshments – steak and kidney pie, chips, tea £3.30
Attendance – 47 (h/c), quite a few rooting for the away side.

A somewhat lengthy journey by bus, although a pleasant trip across the hills west of Dudley with stunning views across Worcestershire, saw the Ostrich arrive at The Beeches (Tividale) about 15:25. Sports were 0-1 up, and chatting with the locals not a lot had happened. General consensus of opinion seems to be this is a poor league, and the fact that BCR are currently running away with it doesn’t mean much in context.

My first impressions were that BCR looked to be a “pretty” side and were trying too hard to play their way with short passes through a rock-solid Dudley defence. Half-time was still 0-1 and DS were looking comfortable on their lead. The second half, however, was very much “a game of two penalties”.

BCR equalised on 60m when their no.11 and captain (presumably Steve Bowes?), worked the ball inside, dummied to pass across goal, then quickly whipped the ball in between the keeper and the near post.

DS should have regained the lead on 67m when their no.7 lashed the ball against the post, the rebound was then hammered in but the BCR goalie parried it, and a DS attacker was upended trying to latch onto this second rebound. Their no.10’s penalty was not well placed, and the BCR goalie was able to fist it away.

5 mins later, DS no.3 tripped Bowes as he was shaping up to shoot, and the referee had no hesitation in awarding a second penalty, which Bowes thumped home. And on 80m, he completed his hat-trick, running in from the right and chipping the ball over the keeper into the net. They could have made it 4-1 when Bowes brilliantly back-heeled the ball to his no.6, whose shot, while going well wide, deflected off the DS no.3 and the goalie had to make a very smart reflex save to prevent an own goal.

DS pulled back a consolation goal on 88m when their no.10 broke through, pulled up for the offside flag, suddenly realised it wasn’t going to happen, and promptly netted! 3-2 flattered the league leaders, DS were unlucky not to come away with at least a draw out of this.

(This post was edited by Ostrich on Jan 14, 2012, 7:05 PM)

Trevor P
First Team Star

Jan 14, 2012, 6:59 PM

Team(s): Torquay United/Dawlish United

Post #22 of 144 (8011 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Feversham Lens] Saturday 14th January [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

PELYNT 2
North Petherwin 1
Cornwall Junior Cup, Fourth Round (East)
Att : 35
The New Camp, Gregory Park, Barcelona Cross (A387)
Admission : Free. Programme : No. Refreshments : No

Situated as it is at Barcelona Cross, alongside the main Looe to Polperro road, this is clearly a club with a sense of humour! A large welcoming sign bearing the above name underlines the fact. I was told the original name of Gregory Park derives from the family who own the land which is now occupied by the football club.

A short track leads into the ground via an entrance gate and parking is behind the near goal with the pitch running lengthways ahead. It's roped round wooden posts on both sides and at the near end. Quite a few advertising placards are displayed. The far end is tight against the hedge there and is unroped. On the right hand side, there's a small section of tin & wood based covered standing ("Clowes Stand") with what appears to be a job lot of green plastic chairs stacked beneath its roof. There's no hard standing or dugouts. I'd assumed the brick structure, which stands back a little on this side and is reached by a continuation of the previously mentioned track, contained the dressing-rooms. It's actually a storage building of some sort which is used by the landowner. Slightly further up the track, there's a turn to the right and the actual dressing-rooms are then revealed as smart looking caravans complete with all mod cons, showers, etc.! One of the caravans was named "St. Ives", but I didn't spot the name of the other one!

The pitch was fairly bumpy with a downwards slope from the entrance end. Small trees line the right hand side with larger ones behind. A post & wire mesh fence separates the ground from the main road on the left hand side where a group of wispy saplings are growing near the top corner.

On arrival, I was greeted by Brian (reserve team manager) who'd been passing in his car and noticed me taking a wander round and thought I might be the referee. He was very friendly and invited me to join them after the game for refreshments at Pelynt Social Club.

Time for lunch and we headed for "The Jubilee Inn" (GBG listed and a revisit for me) where we were given the warmest of welcomes by the couple running the pub and directed to a table near the log fire. Beers were from St. Austell and the well-cooked food was very good value and promptly served.

That slope I mentioned certainly had a bearing on the result, as did the swirling wind. However, it was defensive slips by the visiting team which presented a second minute goal to Pelynt who went on to dominate the rest of the half. A second goal came from a high punt which caught out the keeper as it was assisted by the wind and sailed over his head into the net after 22 minutes.

North Petherwin had the better of things for much of the second half and pulled a goal back after 50 minutes. They then came close to securing an equaliser several times but the home defence worked hard and kept their side's lead intact. With the home club lying 6th in Division One of The Duchy League and the visitors 3rd in Division Three, it was the anticipated result, I suppose, but there was very little to choose between the teams on the day.

The match was played in a good spirit throughout and the referee also had an excellent game. Only disappointment was the fact that the visiting keeper - unlike my previous sighting of him at North Petherwin a few weeks ago - decided against donning his all-pink kit. Maybe he just keeps it for home fixtures!

(This post was edited by Trevor P on Jan 15, 2012, 8:24 AM)

Runwell
Chelsea Transfer Target

Jan 14, 2012, 7:01 PM

Team(s): Team 'Impersonating other Twitter Users' - est. 2011

Post #23 of 144 (8003 views)
Shortcut
Re: [nico] Saturday 14th January [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

FA Carlsberg Trophy, Second Round Proper
East Thurrock United 1(0)-(1)1 Hampton & Richmond Borough
Rookery Hill, Lampitt's Hill, Corringham nr Basildon, Essex
Attendance: 231
Admission: £9. Programme £1 (24 pages inc. outer 4 in colour. General stuff, plus piece from Essex FA and stuff to buy from club shop)

I must admit, I feared the worst when I looked out of my window early this morning, and indeed the frost remained a little even when I left the house after lunch. Luckily, despite a few tiny bits of frost behind the touchline, the rest of the pitch here at Rookery Hill was 'fine'. Well I say fine, its well used state means it's far from a village green, plus the odd bit of sand, but I've seen far worse this season. Speaking to John Coventry the East Thurrock manager before the game, he told me he thought it wasn't too bad, and he knows better than I do. Not sure Hampton would agree but that's life! Speaking of Covo, don't think I saw him at all during the game around the dugout, so hope he's alright?

East Thurrock have played almost as many cup games as league fixtures this season - including the memorable run to the First Round Proper in the FA Cup. They had the chance to extend that run this afternoon with home advantage against a Hampton side predictably fighting to preserve their Conference South status. With the Rocks on a great run of form in recent weeks to surge up to mid-table in the Ryman Prem, there seemed no reason not to expect another cup upset this afternoon.

A chance for the home side early on when, from a throw-in, a scuffed East Thurrock shot was put behind by the Hampton keeper, and from the resulting corner a lad ghosted in and headed just wide. That almost set the tone for the afternoon. Although shortly after this close effort, Hampton threw a spanner in the works, when a lad was allowed time to control the ball in the right of the penalty area and fire into the net via a deflection, that beat keeper Richard Wray at his near post.
From then on, it was almost one way traffic. On eighteen minutes Kyel Ruel's cross-cum-shot was saved by the Hampton keeper, but with the ball loose a colleague dithered and became unselfish instead of going alone six yards out, and the chance went. Moments later an opportunist effort at an angle from Sam Higgins rattled the outside of the post, followed shortly after by a shot spilled by the keeper with the rebound luckily falling to a defender, as the Beavers back four were quite disorganised. Pressure continued to build on the away goal as the half wore on, and five minutes before half time a shot to the right of the box from Higgins was saved with the rebound put over, then shortly after Kris Newby's shot in the box went past the goalkeeper but also beyond the far post. Inbetween a rare Hampton moment on the break with a shot outside the box that was comfortable for Wray, but it was only a brief interruption to the Rocks dominance, though they still trailed at the break.

The passage of play and possession remained unchanged into the second half - with first Reiss Gilbey's flying header from ten yards going just wide, then after a defensive slip on a slightly freezing pitch, Ruel ran clear but his dink over the keeper just cleared the bar. Between those two chances a rare Hampton attack ended in a shot outside the box going just wide, to the oohs and aahs of the few dozen Beavers contingent behind the goal. However the Rocks continued to dominate, with Greg Cohen's shot outside the box tipped over, then on 68 minutes a shot in the left area of the box by Higgins saved by the goalie's legs. Chances continued to fall for East Thurrock, when - following a shot that seemed to strike a hand - a corner was not properly punched clear, and the goalwards shot was deflected wide inadvertently by a teammate, then soon after a shot on the edge of the box was well tipped round the post, with a shot from the resultant corner just wide.
It looked like it wasn't going to be the Rocks' day, but the Beavers were finally cut down with ten minutes left when a shot was saved, but Sam Higgins was close by to put away the rebound. I thought East Thurrock might try and win it from there, given their performance for the previous eighty minutes, but it was actually the visitors who almost nicked it with three minutes left on the watch, when a ball to the far post saw a Hampton player hit the woodwork from close range.

So despite the one league gap, East Thurrock will probably feel annoyed they haven't already booked their place in the last sixteen, let down by their finishing and other things going against them. After being outplayed for so long, Hampton will be relieved to escape with a replay, but I don't think - on this showing - the tie is now a foregone conclusion.

One final point - I notice besides the two mini rows of terracing steps behind the nearside goal, some temporary looking terracing has appeared, almost scaffolding like, with wooden planks (one level) and netting behind it. Not sure if this is permanent to satisfy ground grading or what?

Last match:
Monday 17th October 2016
Aveley 1-1 Phoenix Sports (Isthmian League Division 1 North)

Next scheduled match:
Tuesday 18th October 2016
Burnham Ramblers v Haringey & Waltham (Essex Senior League)

prorege

Jan 14, 2012, 7:06 PM

Team(s): Fife teams

Post #24 of 144 (7987 views)
Shortcut
Re: [sjosta] Saturday 14th January [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

In Reply To

Benarty and Eaglesham at Dallas Doyle Park in Ballingry. ,

any idea of the score?

2-0 benarty

rainworthgord
First Team Star

Jan 14, 2012, 7:15 PM

Post #25 of 144 (7964 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Runwell] Saturday 14th January [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

CML South
Basford United 3 AAaaarghFC Hucknall 1
Admission £3 (old gits like me £1) ht bovril 60p
No progs for reason below.
Att (mlac's h/c 33)

Finished up here after our game against Grantham was pulled - we are away to Basford in the Notts Senior Cup, so I did a 'ground reccie' for the awayday page in our next programme.
The match was Hucknall's home game and was switched to Greenwich Avenue late morning.
No match report from me, but entertaining game with some brilliant goals scored and the Hucknall keeper made a superb penalty save too.
Shame there weren't more watching, but presumably many were unaware of the late venue switch, although a fair proportion of the attendance appeared to be neutrals/hoppers judging by the number of cameras in evidence.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next page Last page  View All

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3