INDEX
Search Posts SEARCH
IN

Home: Non Football Related: General Chat:
100% Definite Scam

Moorsider
First Team Star

Dec 20, 2011, 2:11 PM

Team(s): Kirkbymoorside (Wearside League)

Post #1 of 12 (3241 views)
Shortcut
100% Definite Scam Can't Post or Reply Privately

I have had a few emails recently which are supposedly from the Cooperative Bank telling me that there are problems with my online banking. As I don't and never have had any sort of account with the Cooperative Bank, indeed I havn't even heard of them, nor do I do any online banking, I am deleting these emails as it looks like a scam to get details of my bank a/c.

Has anyone else had any of these ?

(This post was edited by Moorsider on Dec 20, 2011, 3:13 PM)

dottirofhod
Man City Transfer Target!

Dec 20, 2011, 2:43 PM

Team(s): Crewe Alex and obviously England.(Unlike a lot on here)

Post #2 of 12 (3236 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Moorsider] Probable Scam [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Yep.
Delete.

July 1, 2019 to June 30,2020 = 69 / 59 / 10 / inc 2 x 0-0's. (You know my rules) @ 19 / 09 / 2019.
2019/20. Benelux = Bel = 0-0-0-(0-0-0)-(0-2-1-1)/ Lux = 0-2 / Neth = 0-0-0-(1 - 2) Others France = 0-0 / Germany =0-0-0 / Italy =0-3(Act 4- Frosinone new ground)./ Iberia = P = 0-1 & S = 0-0.

Now blogging at https://eccentricity.video.blog/

Whiskey Coates
First Team Sub

Dec 20, 2011, 2:57 PM

Team(s): Bridlington Town, Sheffield Wednesday, Scarborough FC.

Post #3 of 12 (3231 views)
Shortcut
Re: [dottirofhod] Probable Scam [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

My Dad's had a few from several different 'banks', though they never mention him by name. Banks and Building Society's will NEVER EVER email customers.

Ps, change the name of the thread to 100% Definate Scam.

(This post was edited by Whiskey Coates on Dec 20, 2011, 2:59 PM)

Moorsider
First Team Star

Dec 20, 2011, 3:15 PM

Team(s): Kirkbymoorside (Wearside League)

Post #4 of 12 (3225 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Whiskey Coates] 100% Definite Scam [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Done !

I suspected as much when I started getting them as somewhere at the back of my mind alarm bells started ringing. As you say - banks do not email customers.

blackdouglas
Chelsea Transfer Target

Dec 20, 2011, 3:30 PM

Team(s): See signature for clubs

Post #5 of 12 (3222 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Moorsider] 100% Definite Scam [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Used to get one or two every other week from the "HSBC" who likewise I've never had an account with. Took about six attempts contacting their fraud prevention address to have the scam zipped.

Northwood, Threave Rovers, Arsenal, Rangers (the real ones, NOT qpr),Watford, Rochdale, queen of the south and a few others.

Whiskey Coates
First Team Sub

Dec 20, 2011, 4:03 PM

Team(s): Bridlington Town, Sheffield Wednesday, Scarborough FC.

Post #6 of 12 (3216 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Moorsider] 100% Definite Scam [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Done !

I suspected as much when I started getting them as somewhere at the back of my mind alarm bells started ringing. As you say - banks do not email customers.

Bloody Hell! First time anyone's ever taken any notice of me Laugh!

If enough scammers send out enough emails purporting to be from enough different banks, then eventually they'll con someone into giving their details. It's easy to say people shouldn't be so guillable, but unfortunately people still fall for it, and it's not always the vulnerable pensioners.

Found out yesterday a 30-something work colleague had replied to an innoculous looking email about teeth whitener, turns out the 'company' have been have been emptying her bank account and after Googling it she realised she was just one of many scam victims.

acmold

Dec 20, 2011, 5:34 PM

Post #7 of 12 (3200 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Moorsider] 100% Definite Scam [In reply to] Can't Post or

In Reply To
I have had a few emails recently which are supposedly from the Cooperative Bank telling me that there are problems with my online banking. As I don't and never have had any sort of account with the Cooperative Bank, indeed I havn't even heard of them, nor do I do any online banking, I am deleting these emails as it looks like a scam to get details of my bank a/c.

Has anyone else had any of these ?

Had it 3 or 4 times now, did have an account with them years ago until (like most Banks) they started cocking everything up.

Junk / Scam

Chris1963

Dec 20, 2011, 7:00 PM

Team(s): Oxford United / Groundhopper

Post #8 of 12 (3185 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Whiskey Coates] 100% Definite Scam [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

In Reply To
Done !

Bloody Hell! First time anyone's ever taken any notice of me Laugh!

If enough scammers send out enough emails purporting to be from enough different banks, then eventually they'll con someone into giving their details. It's easy to say people shouldn't be so guillable, but unfortunately people still fall for it, and it's not always the vulnerable pensioners.

Found out yesterday a 30-something work colleague had replied to an innoculous looking email about teeth whitener, turns out the 'company' have been have been emptying her bank account and after Googling it she realised she was just one of many scam victims.

Presumably she had an on-line bank account? Not a wise thing to do. I've never had one myself, what's the point of doing so unless you live on Fair Isle or Lundy?

VP

Dec 20, 2011, 8:48 PM

Post #9 of 12 (3158 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Chris1963] 100% Definite Scam [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

I've been doing online banking for a while now. It's so much easier than having to write cheques out and post them or set up direct debits the old-fashioned way. It also means money gets to and from me quicker.
Some banks operate in conjunction with a little bit of software you can download called Trusteer Rapport. http://www.trusteer.com/...uct/trusteer-rapport
You should be able to download it direct from your online banking site if they're part of the system.

On the subject of scam emails, we get people occasionally coming into the Royal Mail Delivery Office to pick up a packet armed only with an email that says we've got something for them. We haven't. Royal Mail don't send email notifications of this sort. For a start, where would we get your email addy from? It's another scam although I don't know what the purpose of it is - probably trying to get you to click on a link and infect your computer or something. I can't remember the exact address the emails come from but it's got something like 'royal-mail.com' as the sender whereas the email system we have at work has 'royalmail.com' without the hyphen as the address.

(This post was edited by VP on Dec 20, 2011, 8:55 PM)

buncranaboy
Qatar World Cup bid member!

Dec 20, 2011, 11:15 PM

Team(s): Barnstoneworth United; Bostock Stanley

Post #10 of 12 (3133 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Chris1963] 100% Definite Scam [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To

Presumably she had an on-line bank account? Not a wise thing to do. I've never had one myself, what's the point of doing so unless you live on Fair Isle or Lundy?

I'm struggling to think of a bank whose accounts can't be accessed on-line. I now pay most of my bills, and those of my company, like this as it gives more flexibility than DD's and since the withdrawal of cheque guarantee cards, many places won't accept cheques any more in any event.

Now, unwise things to do; hmmm, let me think...................

mick
Chelsea Transfer Target

Dec 20, 2011, 11:32 PM

Post #11 of 12 (3126 views)
Shortcut
Re: [buncranaboy] 100% Definite Scam [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

Talking of banks, has the money come through from Abidjan yet ? Its getting a bit cold in this tent.

buncranaboy
Qatar World Cup bid member!

Dec 20, 2011, 11:38 PM

Team(s): Barnstoneworth United; Bostock Stanley

Post #12 of 12 (3121 views)
Shortcut
Re: [mick] 100% Definite Scam [In reply to] Can't Post or Reply Privately

In Reply To
Talking of banks, has the money come through from Abidjan yet ? Its getting a bit cold in this tent.

Strangely enough - no! Though the 5,000 transfer I made to cover all the legal subtleties has gone through. You don't think..........NOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!

free hit counters

Search for (options) HOSTED BY SUMMIT SOCCER v.1.2.3